• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Kathy rain directors cut

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2013-08-23

PM

Jdawg445 - 04 February 2021 12:26 PM

Im saying you missed the mark, I know you want new players but the best marketing would be for existing players to spread the news, of an updated game to adventure game fans who might have missed the title. The new demo does none of that to bring excitement. And no I was not expecting some amazing graphical jump but so far at least to me whispers of a machine looks better than this and it was done on ags if I am correct.

I get what you are saying about voice acting but even if it was just a text based scene or puzzle, anything would have been better than basically just re-releasing the exact same demo as before. In my humble opinion the roll out of this game is being handled very sloppily and it makes it look like just a cash grab, which we both know it isnt. For the record technobabylon is my favorite modern adventure game and right behind that is whispers of a machine, so I know what you are capable of and so far this is just not great looking at least to me. I hope to be proven wrong with the final product.

Look, I understand where you are coming from and your experience of the demo as a returning player is perfectly valid. I really wish that this early demo could have been targeted more to players like yourself with some new content right off the bat, but changes that may seem simple from the outside are complex matters and simply weren’t feasible for the demo Meh

As for improved graphics, the style change between KR and WoaM may look small, but it literally doubled the resolution and quadrupled the amount of pixels. For a little perspective, that’s the same relative difference as there is between Full HD and 4k resolutions. A change like that would be quite huge, and not very realistic for KR: DC, I’m afraid.

So yeah, to conclude, I’m sorry that you were disappointed, and I sincerely hope that we can win you back in the future!

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I agree, you need to put out a demo of your directors cut. Not the same old demo you had in 2016. If Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate Challenge put out a demo, I’d expect it to be of that game, not the basic game.

You should consider pulling the demo until you can create a directors cut demo.  The bottom line is, that 90 percent of your customers will be people who have payed the original game.

Oh, I stopped by Steam and your chat and play through was very cool. It would have been better if you could have played the directors cut however.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Adv_Lvr - 05 February 2021 02:53 PM

I agree, you need to put out a demo of your directors cut. Not the same old demo you had in 2016. If Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate Challenge put out a demo, I’d expect it to be of that game, not the basic game.

You should consider pulling the demo until you can create a directors cut demo.  The bottom line is, that 90 percent of your customers will be people who have payed the original game.

Oh, I stopped by Steam and your chat and play through was very cool. It would have been better if you could have played the directors cut however.

Heart

I believe the demo is of the directors cut, but nothing is really new in the first chapter of the game, so nothing to be excited about except one click interface and full screen.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I believe the demo is of the directors cut, but nothing is really new in the first chapter of the game, so nothing to be excited about except one click interface and full screen.

That makes me feel better, but still, a demo which has new material in it would be much preferred.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Adv_Lvr - 22 January 2021 04:55 PM

I loved the movie twin peaks and I also love horror movies. To me, the ending of Kathy Rain was a classic horror game ending, which I adored.

Yes! The characters and the Twin Peaks-like weirdness were the best things about the game!

Honestly, we could’ve done without messing with the homeless dude and the personal issues that were woven into the final sequence could’ve been addressed with more sense. But the range of characters and the whole David Lynch/Stephen King vibe - 100% on board. My partner recently asked, out of the blue: “Is there a Kathy Rain 2 yet?” That has been happening every couple of months or so, since we finished the original game.

Joined 2013-08-23

PM

Heart

Believe it or not, it’s not the same old demo we had in 2016, but it’s understandable that the differences can be subtle, especially if you haven’t played the original demo for a while. Memories tend to filter out things like the 4:3 aspect ratio vs widescreen, the verbcoin interface vs a single click interface, extra character animations, remixed music etc.

I’m afraid that the demo will remain available until the Steam Games Festival ends, for the reasons I’ve outlined in my previous replies. I’ll fully admit that it’s not an ideal situation though, and I’m really sorry that some of you were bummed out about it!

That doesn’t mean we don’t care immensely about our loyal fans though! Not letting you all down is what keeps me up at night, believe me. You can rest assured that we’ll use other means to show players like you what’s new and cool about the Director’s Cut all the way up until release. It just likely won’t be in a demo format, since that is not very suitable for spoiler-heavy late game content.

So, I humbly ask that you bear with me and try to keep an open mind as we reveal more about KR: DC in the following months!

Thanks a lot for popping by during the stream! Smile We did play the Director’s Cut Demo there as well, to clear up any confusion.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Deal, I’m looking forward to some videos and stills then from the directors cut.

Heart

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

I’m in the remaining percentage who couldn’t play the original game since it wasn’t available for Linux, so I really appreciated the demo. It gave me a glimpse of the game, and it ran reassuringly well on my computer.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

eriktorbjorn - 07 February 2021 04:04 AM

I’m in the remaining percentage who couldn’t play the original game since it wasn’t available for Linux, so I really appreciated the demo. It gave me a glimpse of the game, and it ran reassuringly well on my computer.

I’m glad to hear this, since this is the case, I’m glad they did the demo and should keep it up. However, for those like me, a taste of great things to come from the directors cut would me much appreciated.

Heart

Joined 2013-08-23

PM

Kathy Rain is five years old today!

To celebrate the occasion, we created this fun little cross over video between Kathy Rain and Whispers of a Machine.

Enjoy Grin

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Loved the original. Looking forward to this. The Director’s Cut of Scratches was was an improvement over the original. Not sure it justified buying the game twice. Hope this does better. Particularly tying up loose ends in the end game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1238

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Hahaha! Loved the crossover, Kathy Rain is a badass, in 2D, in 3D and in 4D if necessary!

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Thanks for posting the video, it’s very, very funny. It makes Kathy Rain DC look like a must buy.

Heart

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Very clever. For the record I would buy Whispers of a machine 2 the robots ate my baby… instantly!!!

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Jdawg445 - 06 May 2021 03:58 PM

Very clever. For the record I would buy Whispers of a machine 2 the robots ate my baby… instantly!!!

Me too, I’m playing Whispers of a Machine for like, the 3rd time and I want a part 2 of this game also.

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top