• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

SpeedBowalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Text Adventure Playthrough #9: Slouching Towards Bedlam

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

>press B button
The button is already pressed
The sound of three drips of water falling in quick succession comes floating across the console.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I had hoped that would restore the room to pre-flood condition.

Shall we press the rest of the buttons in alphabetical order?

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

>press a
(A button)
/(no)\

The cold again. And a numbness of the hands. And an inability to resist.

From the listening tube comes the sound of sloshing water - perhaps the other end has dropped below the water line?

>press b
>press c
The button clicks downward and begins to glow. On the blueprint, the corridor’s south-eastern room also lights up.

>press d
(D button)
The button clicks downward and begins to glow. On the blueprint, the corridor’s south-western room also lights up.

>press e
(E button)
The button clicks downward and begins to glow. On the blueprint, the corridor’s western room also lights up.

>press f
The button clicks downward and begins to glow. On the blueprint, the corridor’s north-western room also lights up.

Well.. you all did ask for a more difficult game…  Content

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

>x viewer

(did my spatial awareness go on strike, have I lost the ability to read, did the room shift?)

>n

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

>x viewer
Shaped much like a periscope, it contains a mirrored prism manipulated by the handles on either side. The viewer is lit, showing the following scene:

A room slowly filling with water - a broken pipe lies at one end, slowly dripping into an ever growing pool.

A stuck and broken door lies on the western side.

>n

Walkway
The slight wind whistles tunelessly against this mesh of steel, which arcs from one massive, opened gate to another. A roof curves far overhead, enclosing both the block-like building to the north and the narrow tower to the south. Far below, an intricate set of sub-buildings can be seen, enclosed within the complex’s outer wall.

Triage trundles patiently along beside.

>

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

do you think the Du Monde’s pin has something to do with the cypherists? The pin design suggested some sort of binary code, perhaps a decryption key.

Du Monde seemed to wear it as a signifier, but she was a bit cagey when she noticed it had drawn our attention.

>n

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Had a bit of catching up to do…

Quick note: for a modern text adventure, we’re occasionally struggling with the parser, it seems. Quite unusual, no?
This is what turned me off of Sierra games back in the day (when I hadn’t ever heard of Infocom or Legend)...

Luhr28 - 09 April 2021 12:31 AM

A shadow stretches lazily from the window across the floor.

What kind of shadow “stretches lazily”??? Gasp

Luhr28 - 09 April 2021 07:33 AM

The elongated shadow of Newgate’s noose crawls slowly across the wood floor.

Oh. Meh
Well, that’s creepy…

Karlok - 09 April 2021 05:46 PM
Vegetable Party - 09 April 2021 03:50 PM

>x door

We might not be able to do anything here (yet), shall we try the gallows?

By that I mean examine the gallows, not to check if they work, of course.

Of course we should check if they work!  Naughty

Thumbs Up
I like the way your mind works. Grin

Luhr28 - 09 April 2021 07:33 AM

/(overtoonumbersspreadingthingfartoo)\

The place is a whirlwind - too much motion too much thought and voices and words…

/(nononohurtmanyechofarnono)\

So the voices in our head like being alone with one person, but hate crowds?

Luhr28 - 10 April 2021 04:49 AM

At the end of that time, James is quite sure he has followed in the footsteps of both Brand and Xavier, but bravely holds on. His bravery serves him poorly as within ten days time he has managed to infect all of the orderlies. Another week, and they have infected their families, their friends, and every patient in Bedlam.

Whoa…

Is this the beginning of the Invasion of the Bodysnatchers??? Gasp

Karlok - 10 April 2021 05:24 AM

Let’s find out who Reggie, Alexandra, the Cypherists are.

My guess would be that they’re the ones the voices in our head infected. Reggie would then probably be the driver, and Alexandra the girl at Du Monde.
The Cypherists are probably a group of intellectuals that frequent Du Monde?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 10 April 2021 12:35 PM
Luhr28 - 09 April 2021 12:31 AM

A shadow stretches lazily from the window across the floor.

What kind of shadow “stretches lazily”??? Gasp

One that moves and stretches slowly.

We have to find Cleve in the Panopticon, so let’s go back there.

>press A
>look in viewer
>press B
>look in viewer
>press C
>look in viewer
>press D
>look in viewer
>press E
>look in viewer
>press F
>look in viewer

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

>s

Circular Chamber
The hum of machinery is ever present here, rumbling down into the sub-sonics. Pale white walls encircle a series of engraved circles on the floor, and at the center - like the pupil of some great eye - sits a round console which reaches all the way up to the ceiling.

The room’s single exit lies to the north.

Triage silently rolls to a stop.

The sound of three drips of water falling in quick succession comes floating across the console.

>press A
(A button)
/(no)\

The cold again. And a numbness of the hands. And an inability to resist.

The sound of dripping water echoes through the room.

>look in viewer
Shaped much like a periscope, it contains a mirrored prism manipulated by the handles on either side. The viewer is lit, showing the following scene:

A room slowly filling with water - a broken pipe lies at one end, slowly dripping into an ever growing pool.

>press B
>look in viewer

>press C
The button clicks downward and begins to glow. On the blueprint, the corridor’s south-eastern room also lights up.

>look in viewer

A room whose floor seems in danger of collapse - a hole has started forming in its center and the edges slowly slope in towards it. Its single exit lies to the northwest.

>press D
(D button)
The button clicks downward and begins to glow. On the blueprint, the corridor’s south-western room also lights up.

>look in viewer

An old room that - while crumbling around the edges - is fairly sturdy and secure. Its dusty floor holds nothing more than a cot and a crumbling chair. A set of gas light fixtures hangs off the wall, blocked and in disrepair and a door lies to the northeast.

The walls are covered with writing.

>press E
(E button)
The button clicks downward and begins to glow. On the blueprint, the corridor’s western room also lights up.

>look in viewer

The mirrors in the viewed room must have shattered, for the view is diffracted into a thousand reflected shards - each one showing grey stone.

>press F
The button clicks downward and begins to glow. On the blueprint, the corridor’s north-western room also lights up.

>look in viewer

A room whose northern wall has completely collapsed, revealing empty space with an outer wall and ceiling visible in the distance. The floor is covered with strewn rubble.

The sound of blowing wind echoes across the room, then suddenly is cut short.

>

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

Vegetable Party - 10 April 2021 09:05 AM

(did my spatial awareness go on strike, have I lost the ability to read, did the room shift?)

Yes, the buttons rotate us within the tower in the middle of the panopticon:

Luhr28 - 10 April 2021 05:56 AM

The floor rumbles for a moment. There is an odd sense of movement.

The light beneath the Administration and its connecting corridor goes out.

A corridor at twelve o’clock lights up as the key stops moving, as does its north-east room. The button labeled “A” clicks down and begins to glow.

The room seems to have subtly cha…

TimovieMan - 10 April 2021 12:35 PM

My guess would be that they’re the ones the voices in our head infected. Reggie would then probably be the driver, and Alexandra the girl at Du Monde.
The Cypherists are probably a group of intellectuals that frequent Du Monde?

The girl at Du Monde’s is Du Monde. But yeah, she’s most probably Alexandra Du Monde and a member of the Cypherists.

I want to see what this does:

>press inverted triangle

But I think this is what we need to do:

>press D
>sw, sw (or in whatever direction the corridor is then)

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

@Pegbiter: I noticed. Smile I think Luhr28 was messing with my mind a bit (and helping me out at the same time). I can sympathize with Thomas Xavier in that regard.

The shift only happened once, right? Counter-clockwise, 90 degrees. I think. After using the rod.

Excited to see where this going!

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

Vegetable Party - 10 April 2021 04:01 PM

The shift only happened once, right? Counter-clockwise, 90 degrees. I think. After using the rod.

You’re probably right. In that case, we won’t be able to walk there using the walkway.

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

>press triangle
The button clicks downward, then returns to its original state when released. Nothing more happens.

>press d
(D button)

>sw,sw
No exit lies in that direction.

No exit lies in that direction.

Still only a north exit.

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

So, can we get anywhere in that direction?

>n, n

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top