• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarb

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #63 – There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 17 November 2020 02:53 PM

That, and the narrator is in itself pretty funny,

Please don’t insult him! Doom did it too. He’s got a name, you know. I don’t call you “administrator”, do I. Innocent He told you his name. Even Mr Glitch calls him Game.

with his vaguely Russian sounding (but definitely NOT Russian!) accent

Apparently some players of the Jam 15 edition thought he was Russian, that’s why it’s in the game. Totally French accent as far as I’m concerned. Misplaced emphasis included, and I bet that’s on purpose. I love the way he pronounced “stubboooorn”.

In fact, whenever I’ve found the - usually out-of-the-box - solution to a puzzle, I tend to wait an extra few seconds, just in case the narrator has another comment for me…

So did I. But I do agree with others that Game gives too many hints.

I liked the second chapter best. The unique setup with the combination of TV, theatre stage, video game is so much fun. When I discovered the game icons were screwed to the screen I laughed out loud.

My hardest puzzle was getting the coin. I spent at least 20 minutes trying to get it off the paper after it fell. Definitely one of my blind spots. Needed a hint.

badlemon - 18 November 2020 05:42 AM

I hope that there is some kind of a storyline hidden between all the meta jokes.

You’ve met Mr Glitch and there were one or two hints of other stuff, so yes, there is some backstory. IMO great games do not necessarily have a great story. Some do, some don’t. Day of the Tentacle is in my top ten. It has excellent puzzles, graphics, characters, dialogues, and lots of humor. But not much of a story: Purple tentacle is taking over the world and we have to stop him. That’s about it.

Something that went over my head: the “weather balloon” in the notes. Roswell, Kennedy’s death, Apollo 11. Anyone?

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Karlok - 20 November 2020 06:58 AM
Donuts McGee - 20 November 2020 06:32 AM

I’m not totally sure but I think the screw didn’t appear until after you know you need the icecream, or some other event. I went back to that scene and suddenly it was there, and I definitely would have noticed it.

It appears when Watson walks across the room to answer the telettrophon because he was standing in front of the screw. Smile

Ohh..! okay. I’m scratching my head over how that works because the screw is on the other side of the monitor. I can be very dumb when it comes to perception and time/space dimensionality.

Karlok - 20 November 2020 08:08 AM

Something that went over my head: the “weather balloon” in the notes. Roswell, Kennedy’s death, Apollo 11. Anyone?

This one I think I got. I know the Roswell photos were explained by the US government and scientists as being just a weather balloon, so I think it’s extending to joke to other absurd conspiracies…maybe?

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Donuts McGee - 20 November 2020 11:19 AM

Ohh..! okay. I’m scratching my head over how that works because the screw is on the other side of the monitor. I can be very dumb when it comes to perception and time/space dimensionality.

I don’t want to post spoiler pics, so I’ll send you a PM with a link.

The eye and tongue icons are close to each other. First you unscrew the eye and when Watson moves away you can unscrew the tongue.

This one I think I got. I know the Roswell photos were explained by the US government and scientists as being just a weather balloon, so I think it’s extending to joke to other absurd conspiracies…maybe?

Aha. I didn’t know that was the official explanation.

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Not sure what happened. I’m now in the sephir zone. When I clicked on the desktop shortcut I get an error message saying the game location has changed and the shortcut no longer works. I didn’t change the location. Why would I do that?? Anyway, I only have a few options. One is to delete the game and try another download. Or, I can try to find the executable and see if I can start it from there. Either way, I’m stymied for the time being. Will let you know when I’m up and running again.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

rtrooney - 20 November 2020 03:20 PM

Not sure what happened. I’m now in the sephir zone. When I clicked on the desktop shortcut I get an error message saying the game location has changed and the shortcut no longer works. I didn’t change the location. Why would I do that?? Anyway, I only have a few options. One is to delete the game and try another download. Or, I can try to find the executable and see if I can start it from there. Either way, I’m stymied for the time being. Will let you know when I’m up and running again.

By default, the game is saved to C:\GOG Games\There Is No Game Wrong Dimension (replace c: with your drive). Try to go there and run the shortcut “Launch There Is No Game - Wrong Dimension”. Hope that works.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

It was not a problem to find the game, and to send the exe to a desktop shortcut. The only problem is that some of the settings, e.g. Language, are not saved with the game. So far it has started in German, French and Spanish. It’s easy to reset it, but it’s something I would rather not have to do each time I start the game. Still at Flying Squirrel OS. Hope to find an hour or so to get past this puzzle.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

This non-game seems to be full of references to other pop culture media. I replayed the first two chapters and here are all the ones that I found. Some of these might be pretty obvious to most. Spoilers ahead:

When Game is talking about brick breaker, it is a clone to Breakout the old Atari game from the 70’s. He also talks about Pong(another Atari game), Snake(the game from the old Nokia phones), and Candy Saga(Candy Crush Saga by King.com).

“If you want to break things go play Battle of Duty instead”, reference to Activision’s Call of Duty first person shooter

When Game asks you to watch “Breaking Good”, he is referencing “Breaking Bad”, the excellent TV show.

When the Russian Game asks:“Show me papers” and he gets the response “only if you say please”, they are referencing Lucas Pope’s Papers Please game.

Monkey to work a hydraulic pump reference in chapter 2 is a reference to a little adventure game that we all love dearly Grin

Miss Voodoo is a nod to the Voodoo Lady from MI, and of course she will send us on a quest to find 3 items.

Game says that the telephone is like a “Myst” puzzle.

The copy protection system is a nod to Monkey Island 2’s copy protection wheel.
Anything else I missed?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Nice list! I missed a few (I’m not familiar with the Atari oldies etc, except Pong and Snake) and I didn’t make the connection between Miss Voodoo and MI. One that you missed: “the sun has exploded, do you really want to spend the last 8 minutes of your life in front of a screen” refers to Outer Wilds.

No sign of Sefir and rtrooney is still playing chapter 1. Do we wait or are we moving on to chapter 3 and 4? I say, let’s move on because it won’t be very hard to catch up and we don’t want to lose momentum. Unless rtrooney and/or other people object.

rtrooney - 20 November 2020 04:34 PM

The only problem is that some of the settings, e.g. Language, are not saved with the game. So far it has started in German, French and Spanish. It’s easy to reset it, but it’s something I would rather not have to do each time I start the game.

You mean the screen with the flags? All you have to do is click on the “English” flag every time you start the game, that’s not a bug or anything, it’s part of the game if you like.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Didn’t know that trick, and don’t like. But it is what it is. I do have three medical appointments in the next three weeks. (None serious.) And on this side of the pond we do have Thanksgiving coming up. Although only with the nearest and dearest due to Covid.

Please proceed. I will catch up when I can. I hope to, at least get through Chapter One by the weekend.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

We’re the same age, rtrooney, so yes, health is very important. Catch up when you can.

Anybody getting Zelda vibes? Smile
Let’s play the chapters 3 and 4!
If my memory serves me well, Game doesn’t give as many unwanted hints as he did in the first two chapters.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 21 November 2020 07:04 AM

If my memory serves me well, Game doesn’t give as many unwanted hints as he did in the first two chapters.

If I recall correctly, I only really got ONE unwanted hint in the first chapters, for the broken track. I got the hint for repairing it with a letter almost as soon as I found the puzzle, so what could have been a devious puzzle was instantly solved.
I don’t think I got any other blatantly spoilery hints…

It’s certainly not bothering me. Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

LOL! I just finished the 3rd chapter and it was hilarious from start to finish, haven’t had so much fun playing a game for a long time. Now this is my sort of humour, I even felt some Coktel Vision vibes (or maybe it’s just a French thing). They should’ve put this as number 2 instead of the Sherlock Holmes part, especially since it seems like the 4th chapter is the same game with a twist, so I’m not sure if playing them in order is such a good idea.

Anyway, for me this was a perfect mix of a silly little “lemming” type of character with ambitions and a narrator Game Gaia who guided him through the world like a tired, but caring father. The way the hero kept falling through the hole, or started trembling when he was left in darkness, or broke the sword and got depressed and basically every other moment with him was so cute and funny at the same time. And the exchange between those two was hilarious.

-I smell the bewitching perfume!
-I think it probably comes from the sewer…

They parodied every Zelda cliche, from the primitive “save the princess” plot to obsession with bushes and switch puzzles. And I actually found most of the puzzles in this chapter to be very creative. This is how I imagined the 2nd chapter should’ve been designed - physical contact with the gameworld instead of some behind-the-scene sabotage. And only one screw puzzle, thank God! I would say my favourite puzzle involved destructing the interface during the black knight fight, very smart and funny. There are also timed events which might annoy some people, but I enjoyed them too, the dev made good use of those few instruments in our possession.

And now I’m really curious how he is going to get away with the very same world and character in the 4th chapter, especially since I’m not familiar with the free2play format - although I heard scary stories…

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Great chapter, maybe the most enjoyable so far! I didn’t get the same Zelda vibes as everyone else, maybe because I never played it except for the later 3D games. But I did play games like Final Fantasy and Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Illusion of Gaia etc.. there are hundreds of these type of games with generic titles which look and feel a lot like this, and I feel this game is parodying these just as much.

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Doom - 21 November 2020 01:09 PM

And now I’m really curious how he is going to get away with the very same world and character in the 4th chapter, especially since I’m not familiar with the free2play format - although I heard scary stories…

IMO chapter 4 is even better than 3. Smile

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Karlok - 21 November 2020 07:04 AM

We’re the same age, rtrooney, so yes, health is very important. Catch up when you can.

I just turned 73, so I think I have you by a year or two or more. But still, at a certain age health is the priority. You stay safe as well. Hope to do a major catch up tomorrow.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top