• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #63 – There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’ve got it installed, but haven’t had a chance to play with it yet. Will try to find some time tomorrow. Should certainly be up and running by Wednesday.

I’m starting to hate GOG as much as I did Steam. Was another jump through hoops as gog demanded I use their client to install the game. I know there is a workaround for that, but I forgot what it is. Figured it was better to let them do their thing than delay the start of the game.

And sorry for the delay. I’ve had too many dogs cross the rainbow bridge. I know the grief it entails. But I was surprised how emotional it was helping a neighbor through the process. It was like I had lost one of my own.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’ve finished the first two chapters and so far I’m having a blast. I love the constant denial that we are in fact playing a game (I loved that in the freeware game too) and the urging to quit the game (and uninstall it). Tongue
That, and the narrator is in itself pretty funny, with his vaguely Russian sounding (but definitely NOT Russian!) accent, and his exasperation at us “breaking” the game… Tongue

In fact, whenever I’ve found the - usually out-of-the-box - solution to a puzzle, I tend to wait an extra few seconds, just in case the narrator has another comment for me…

Funniest bit so far: jumping between the different languages
Best section so far: navigating the “Flying Squirrel” desktop (but messing with Holmes and Watson is a close second)

Cleverest puzzle - also the only one I needed an in-game hint for: finding snow. With the first in-game hint, I immediately knew what to do (and also thought: how clever!), but without that hint, I may never have found it. Talk about requiring out-of-the-box thinking! Gasp

Loving the game so far - the meta-humour of it all is right up my alley! Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

TimovieMan - 17 November 2020 02:53 PM

Cleverest puzzle - also the only one I needed an in-game hint for: finding snow. With the first in-game hint, I immediately knew what to do (and also thought: how clever!), but without that hint, I may never have found it. Talk about requiring out-of-the-box thinking! Gasp

I also thought this would’ve made a really tricky puzzle. But, strangely enough, I solved it without much trouble - by that time I was expecting that the “unplug” option would come in handy at some point, and after I lost my ice cream this felt like an obvious thing to try.

Speaking of favourite puzzles, I really enjoyed all the creative solutions that involved the media player. And I generally liked the first chapter more than the second one - for some reason it didn’t click with me the way I expected. In fact it felt a lot like your run-of-the-mill adventure game - there were so many moon logic/trippy puzzles in other 3rd person adventure games that even deconstructing the interface didn’t had that “wow” effect on me) Although it was still pretty clever. Now the next chapter looks very interesting…

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

I’m secretly playing the game as well. It’s been a while since I played an adventure game and this one seems interesting. So far I like the idea and its execution. I agree that this type of idea has a great potential for disaster (fourth wall breaking can be so cheesy and tedious unless you have charlie kaufman level of writing). But so far it managed to pull it off. I hope that there is some kind of a storyline hidden between all the meta jokes.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Bought the game, installed it, but unfortunatelly, I am unable to make it run….
I really wanted to participate, but it seems I will not be able to.  Cry

I bought the GOG version btw….

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

Sefir - 18 November 2020 02:01 PM

Really? Are you running Windows Vista or older?

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Pegbiter - 18 November 2020 02:52 PM
Sefir - 18 November 2020 02:01 PM

Really? Are you running Windows Vista or older?

Not at all. Windows 10.
The game is like… it tries to load, but it can’t.

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

You should in that case fulfill the system requirements. A game from such a small developer probably haven’t been tested on many different systems though.

I suggest you skip GOG Galaxy and use the separate installer instead:

You might be able to get it to work by running it in some compatibility mode.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Oh I tried both offline installation (I hate cloud gaming) and GOG Galaxy. None of them worked. I will try some more different compatibility modes, though I have already run the most obvious ones without success.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I made it to the Flying Squirrel OS puzzle. Finding it enjoyable, but not laugh out loud funny.

@sephir Also bought it from gog. I’m running it on a Win10 PC. I had no trouble with it other than the hoops I had to jump through to get it to download. I think there is a workaround that lets you download it without loading the gog galaxy client. Doing that might help.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I just finished the first two chapters. I am finding the game really enjoyable and funny so far.
Like Timovieman, I also really liked the:different languages section.. The Japanese one is especially funny, and it reminds me of crazy Japanese commercials. The puzzles in this game are truly unique and innovative. I especially liked the whole behind the scenes section of the 2nd chapter. My only complaint is that the narrator gives us the hints too frequently. I get that it is probably trying to appeal to non adventure gamers who get frustrated when they get stuck, but it does take away from the challenge of some very clever puzzle design. I wish these hints were included as part of the hints button section.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Sefir - 18 November 2020 03:45 PM

Oh I tried both offline installation (I hate cloud gaming) and GOG Galaxy. None of them worked. I will try some more different compatibility modes, though I have already run the most obvious ones without success.

Sefir, the dev answers questions on the Steam forum and I’ve seen him help other people with technical problems. Nobody cares if you got the game from GOG, so why not go there and ask for help.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

I’m through the first two chapters.

I’m slightly taken aback at how good it is. Almost every idea seems well developed and enjoyable. The first chapter was a lot of fun and not too easy. The second was excellent. Parodies can often be so badly done, especially where dev’s try and ‘break the fourth wall’ but here the fourth wall is barely even existent anyway with a lot of ‘out of the box’ thinking needed but without it becoming too chaotic or absurd.

The ice cream puzzle took me a while, I thought it must be illogical and went for a hint, only to find that it was logical enough in a funny way and clever too. Not moon logic as far as I’m concerned.

I really liked this first part and am looking forward to getting stuck back in!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

I decided to play along, even though I didn’t vote. It’s been a lot of fun so far!

Doom - 15 November 2020 04:16 AM

I was stuck maybe only on a couple of puzzles (the three steps for successful disenchantment in particular, and only because I missed a screw, which was a pretty straightforward puzzle).

I’m not totally sure but I think the screw didn’t appear until after you know you need the icecream, or some other event. I went back to that scene and suddenly it was there, and I definitely would have noticed it.

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Donuts McGee - 20 November 2020 06:32 AM

I’m not totally sure but I think the screw didn’t appear until after you know you need the icecream, or some other event. I went back to that scene and suddenly it was there, and I definitely would have noticed it.

It appears when Watson walks across the room to answer the telettrophon because he was standing in front of the screw. Smile

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top