• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

adventure game system requirements, 2018? 

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Since 2016 and adventure gaming cooping with consoles and VR tech, I’ve been having troubling running the most if the interesting adventures i have been waiting for, like, Obduction, Syberia3, Black Mirror..etc, tho i read many claims that they can run on my sys-config, they all ended up useless, or some started, but playing them was impossible.

i have 64-OP, with 6GB-RAM, and Nvidia GT-Force-740m.

i don’t mind waiting until i get a new computer (at the not-really-near-future) to play those (i missed) or is it a necessity now, to upgrade my sys ASAP! that upcoming big (and important) games won’t fall under my sys-configurations.

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

There’s a few other things that you haven’t mentioned Advie, notably:

What’s the processor in the laptop?

The 64 bit operating system is neither here nor there. Most games should run under 32 bit or 64 bit OSs although I’d expect more and more to be specifically 64 bit as 32 bit can only access 4GB of RAM (actually nearer 3.5GB when other system requirements are taken into account) whereas 64 bit can utilise much greater volumes of RAM but are variable. Windows 7 Starter can only use 8GB but Windows 7 ultimate can use up to 192GB.
Windows 10 Home can use up to 128GB but all other versions can use 2TB. This is why I’d ensure that you stay with a 64 bit system.
I don’t know about your graphics chip but, on investigation, it appears to be a middling one with a maximum of 2GB of RAM. How much does your card/chip have?

6GB of RAM should be ok for most adventure games I’d have thought if coupled with a reasonable level of graphics RAM although DDR4 is better than DDR3 (the same as DDR3 is far better than EDO RAM Grin ).

You should also look to see what software starts up when you boot your laptop up. If it hasn’t been altered since you bought it then you may well have a lot of totally unnecessary programmes starting up. Disabling those could help you free up resources that may make some games run when they couldn’t before.

Personally (and this is very much my choice) I would never use a laptop for gaming as I find screens too small and, unless you pay a lot, performance too poor. Keep in mind though that I’ve worked in IT for the best part of 50 years so my usage is rather different than many others Smile

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Advie - 01 April 2018 10:48 PM

Since 2016 and adventure gaming cooping with consoles and VR tech, I’ve been having troubling running the most if the interesting adventures i have been waiting for, like, Obduction, Syberia3, Black Mirror..etc, tho i read many claims that they can run on my sys-config, they all ended up useless, or some started, but playing them was impossible.

i have 64-OP, with 6GB-RAM, and Nvidia GT-Force-740m.

i don’t mind waiting until i get a new computer (at the not-really-near-future) to play those (i missed) or is it a necessity now, to upgrade my sys ASAP! that upcoming big (and important) games won’t fall under my sys-configurations.

I think your PC is a little outdated for higher end games coming out in 2017. If you look at Obduction for example on Steam, the minimum Sys Req is 8GB Ram and the recommended is 16GB.

Same goes for the graphics card: Minimum GeForce 660 GTX w/1GB and recommended NVIDIA GTX 970 w/4 GB

http://store.steampowered.com/app/306760/Obduction/

so you are below the minimum reqs. Like Jabod says, if you want to invest in a new PC for playing games, I recommend getting a desktop. It gives you lots more bang for your buck.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Gasp Jabod, if you are living close i would have passed by ad let you supervision my Sys upgrade. Laughing

thanks, guys i think i really need a new computer, uhhhh

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top