• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieIronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Articulation, any tips?

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2012-08-11

PM

As some of you may know, if you have read any of my posts, I don’t have much aptitude when it comes to efficient, concise articulation. To the point that my posts can end up huge, rambling messes. (Which I do apologise for)

I can edit myself very easily when I write as a hobby because I can spend a wealth of time on a specific part of the writing, I can disappear for a while then return with a clearer head and see mistakes/inconsistencies/rambling easier.

This unfortunately is not something that can be done on a forum post/in a conversation. Mainly for obvious reasons but I’ll detail them here anyway;

Conversations are immediate you can’t go back and edit what you said.

Forum posts you can edit but you can’t change phrasing or obvious mistakes or else you might get the reputation of “Covering your tracks” during a debate etc.

Also I don’t really want to have to spend an hour or so editing a single forum post in the same way I would my hobby writing.

So I would really like some advice on how to better myself at articulation.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

From the posts of yours I have seen, I think the length comes from the amount of subject matter rather than waffle.

Therefore possibly the “problem” is not with your ability to articulate concisely, but the amount you have to say!

Personally I wouldn’t worry about it at all. I think long posts are fine in “debate” type threads such as the retro graphics fad one.

If you’re seriously concerned about editing then type your long posts in word/open office first, read, edit, copy pasta and post.

In terms of other advice i’m not qualified to give, just remember that as you differentiate between editing in conversation, forum posts and other writing, so style varies too. Most people don’t talk how they write and forum posts are again a different style from technical or creative writing!

If you’re still concerned about length then just try and stick to making one or two points in a post only, but I don’t think that’s necessary as this post shows! Laughing

Oh and welcome to the forums, although if there is another member of the forums called Elijah, I would stay away from him!  Wink

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 39

Joined 2004-04-18

PM

My solution is to pretend you’re on Twitter. Smile

Total Posts: 191

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

Baal, don’t stress over it.  I would much rather read a fully-formed thought or refutation of an opinion than a terse “nuh-uh!” which might or might not be followed in later posts by an explanation of said position.  On very limited acquaintance you seem to be remarkably articulate and reasonably concise, just not tremendously brief.  That’s not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself, and in a world given ever more often to quick “sound bites” and a seeming general abandonment of proper sentence and paragraph structure to convey whole concepts your posts provide a delightful change of pace. Smile

Warning- People won’t have as much of a sense of humor about you putting an Alka Seltzer in your mouth then staggering into a restaurant while shouting “THE VIRUS HAS MUTATED!” as you’d hope they would.

Consider this: People say “Ewwww!!!” when they hear about a guy having a hairy bum or hairy back, yet every Teddy Bear ever made has had both a hairy bum AND a hairy back and nobody complains about them; In fact, people think Teddy Bears are adorable.

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2012-08-11

PM

Sage - 19 August 2012 12:04 AM

Baal, don’t stress over it.  I would much rather read a fully-formed thought or refutation of an opinion than a terse “nuh-uh!” which might or might not be followed in later posts by an explanation of said position.  On very limited acquaintance you seem to be remarkably articulate and reasonably concise, just not tremendously brief.  That’s not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself, and in a world given ever more often to quick “sound bites” and a seeming general abandonment of proper sentence and paragraph structure to convey whole concepts your posts provide a delightful change of pace. Smile

Why thankyou! I do try. Seriously thank you, for the most part when debating I tend to think I’m just babbling on and on.

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2004-10-07

PM

I know your problem Baal, I often experience the same one. However, I find that the AG forumites are the best forumites there are, and do actually read posts, even if they are a bit longer (In other forums I have experienced replies like “Post too long, didn’t read”.). This is especially the case when they see that your post actually contains good and interesting information and topics. And I think that is the case with your posts.

So I wouldn’t worry too much about that. Smile

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

- “esc(x) cot(x) dx = -csc(x)!” Dennis added, and the wizard’s robe caught on fire. “Gosh,” Dennis said, “and some people say higher math isn’t relevant.”

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top