• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceandiegoJdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Direct3D issue

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2016-01-02

PM

Hi,

I am new here. First post. Not sure if it is the right thread to post this. I was trying to play a game, “Overclocked: A History of Violence”.

The game menu appears but when I click new game, I get an error window. Refer to attachment.

My specs are:

Dual Core E5700 3.0GHz
3GB RAM
Intel Chipset G31 256MB on-board graphic

The game system requirements are compatible with my PC. I also started the game as administrator but in vain.

Can someone help?

Thank you

Image Attachments

overclocked_crashed.png

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2008-10-18

PM

The problem is that the Intel Chipset G31 graphics don’t has hardware support for vertex shader. Have a look at the Intel graphics comparison chart: Link
Look at the 3rd generation in the line 3100. In the column Chipset you see that this applies to the G31. And in the column Shader model (vertex/pixel) there’s the entry “3.0(SW)/2.0”. The “SW” indicates that the vertex shader support is software instead of hardware. This means that the vertex shader code is calculated by the main processor using the graphics driver software and not by the graphic chip. A 100% accurate calculation by the main processor would be very slow. That’s the reason why NVidia/ATI started to let their graphic chip do it long before the more current Intel graphic cores also do it. So the Intel driver software for older Intel graphic chips do a trade-off between performance and compatibility when it lets the main processor calculate the vertex shaders. The result is that this works with some games that needs vertex shaders while it doesn’t work with other games.

Overclocked needs full shader 1.1 support and uses vertex shader. When the game was released the Intel driver software was not able to calculate the vertex shader code Overclocked uses. It crashed with the error message you just posted.

If you’re graphic drivers aren’t up to date you can tryto update them. Sometimes more current driver made the vertex shader calculation compatible with a few games that didn’t run before. But it’s not unlikely that the Intel driver software vertex shader calculation is still not compatible with Overclocked.

Some laptops have also a second graphics chip for games. Sometimes Windows does not select this one when a game is started. But you can assign it manually. So if you use a laptop you should take a look if there is a second graphic chip. If you’re unsure you can post the manufacturer and modell number of the laptop.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top