• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Freddy Pharkas - laughing gas—unwinnable situation?

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2014-05-28

PM

Hi,

Playing Freddy Pharkas for the first time.  Great game.

Except…

I’m at the very end, bunch of cowboys shooting up the town on main street.  Can’t beat them without getting shot so i check the UHS file online.  Mentions getting a can of laughing gas from the barber.  Problem is, the cowboys are shooting on the screen where the barber’s door is.  Game won’t let me enter his shop now, entering the screen freezes my action buttons and forces me to get shot.

Question is:
Is this an unwinnable situation?  Sierra games were notorious for these types of programming oversites back in the day.  Would be an utter fail if that were the case here, at the very end of the game.  Especially since there is no way to know you need that gas until the end of the game, unless you’re playing with a walkthrough, and no self respecting adventure gamer would use a walkthrough on their first play through.

Digging up a relic here, I know, but a workaround would be appreciated to finish the last few minutes of the game.

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

No this is not unwinnable. But I don’t remember how to get past it.

The ideal situation is that you got the gas, and attached it to the porch before the shootout begins.

Seeing as I don’t remember the workaround, my best bet would be to revert to a save where you can do your prep work and then proceed to the shootout.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2014-05-28

PM

Thanks Rooney, unfort my only alt restore is so far back in the game it wouldn’t be worth the effort.

Unless there’s a way to sneak into that barber shop with those cowpokes shooting up the streets, I’m thinking this may be unwinnable at this point.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I am sure there is a way around this. The mantra of games of this era was Save Early/Save Often.

You may not have saved often enough. But the first thing I would do is disengage. Go back to the brothel. Do lots of conversation. Maybe one of the girls will offer a solution. I really don’t remember this being a dead end situation.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2005-01-20

PM

Greetings, Captain,

You should be able to enter the barbershop through the rear entrance. Find it by going out via the Saloon’s back door. ;-)

Best regards,
Josh Mandel

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Might I be so bold as to say Holy Shit! It has been a long time. I’ve missed you.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2005-01-20

PM

Thank you, Tim! I’ve missed you, too. I’ve seen you doing the Casual Game Fridays and you’ve inspired me to try a couple of them!

Josh

Joined 2014-05-28

PM

Josho - 24 February 2016 10:01 PM

Greetings, Captain,

You should be able to enter the barbershop through the rear entrance. Find it by going out via the Saloon’s back door. ;-)

Best regards,
Josh Mandel

Thanks, but as far as know there is no back entrance to the barbershop, only the saloon and a back window to mom’s. 

Scratch that—found it!  Thanks.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

CaptainRottingham - 25 February 2016 02:20 AM

Greetings, Captain,

Best regards,
Josh Mandel

Thanks, but as far as know there is no back entrance to the barbershop, only the saloon and a back window to mom’s. 

ROTFL! Are you aware that you’re telling the developer of the game that he’s wrong?

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2014-05-28

PM

Karlok - 25 February 2016 03:51 AM
CaptainRottingham - 25 February 2016 02:20 AM

Greetings, Captain,

Best regards,
Josh Mandel

ROTFL! Are you aware that you’re telling the developer of the game that he’s wrong?

Nope!

Btw, Josh, fantastically amazing game!

Joined 2005-01-20

PM

Thank you, Captain! I’m so glad you’re enjoying it! (Or DID enjoy it…maybe you’ve already finished…)

Joined 2014-05-28

PM

The attention to detail is staggering, even by ‘90s adventure gaming standards.  Like, every friggin doily is clickable (and followed by a cleverly-narrated 3 minute descriptive).  This is one of the most fun,satisfying, challenging, and wholly-immersive adventure game experiences I’ve ever had the pleasure to enjoy.

So, in the words of Lilly von Schtupp, let’s get down to “brayce tayckes.”  When are you and Al “Creamy Thighs” Lowe gonna grab a couple absinthe pours and get serious about another collab?  The clocks a’ticking, and it’s getting harder for me to justify interest in this horseshit. I’m 109 years old, after all. 

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

CaptainRottingham - 26 February 2016 01:40 AM

The attention to detail is staggering, even by ‘90s adventure gaming standards.  Like, every friggin doily is clickable (and followed by a cleverly-narrated 3 minute descriptive).  This is one of the most fun,satisfying, challenging, and wholly-immersive adventure game experiences I’ve ever had the pleasure to enjoy.

Have you played Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon, also by Josh?

If you haven’t, I heartily recommend it. Every screen is flooded with hotspots that all have hilarious puns in the description. And besides being laugh-out-loud funny, it’s also an amazing game. Even better than FPFP, if you ask me (and I really liked FPFP)!!! Thumbs Up

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-01-20

PM

Thank you both! When people see me walking around with a silly smile on my face today, it’ll all be your fault!

Captain, I just spoke to Al last week. Although I would say he has no interest in doing another game, we do love working together, and there is a little project we’re planning to collaborate on later this year. I’m probably not supposed to talk about it, but I’ll say that if you like FREDDY PHARKAS, you’ll have a special appreciation for this project when it sees the light of day.

;-)

Josh

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Ooohhh….is it western themed? Far too little AG’s out there that are set in the old west if you ask me.

That’s why I started playing Red Dead Redemption when it came out….there just weren’t enough AG’s with that kind of atmosphere ;-)

BTW: I even liked Space Quest 6, which is also co-designed by Josh Cool
But yes, FPFP is a great great game.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

CaptainRottingham - 26 February 2016 01:40 AM

The attention to detail is staggering, even by ‘90s adventure gaming standards.  Like, every friggin doily is clickable (and followed by a cleverly-narrated 3 minute descriptive). 

YEAH!, but all Sierra_Online AGs had that extensive hotspots design!, tho not all had that long (clever) description and dialogue writting (of course); hail Josh and Al, but just saying that Sierra’s had this full-screen interaction, which had left me hole-hearted ever since their disappearance (or chainsaw Monday)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top