• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretinJdawg445Lady KestrelTimovieManwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Studio Ghibli Restructure

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

http://kotaku.com/studio-ghibli-is-not-dead-yet-1615520289

Studio Ghibil are taking a pause of production due to restructuring of their production department. Apparently, they’ve struggled to make money on their films. This could see the end of their films.

Frown

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

That’s a real shame. Since Pixar’s decline in recent years, Ghibli is the only studio left that has made nothing but great movies.

“Struggling to make money” baffles me, though. The Wind Rises was supposedly made on a 30 million dollar budget (less than a sixth of the average Pixar movie), and it’s grossed over 100 million dollars in Japan alone.

My guess is that it has more to do with Miyazaki retiring (he announced his retirement last year) than anything else. Surely, the Studio Ghibli name has become more important than Miyazaki’s???

On the other hand, Isao Takahata’s movies have never been as successful as Miyazaki’s. The Tale of Princess Kaguya only recouped half of its 50 million dollar budget so far, and When Marnie Was There isn’t doing that great either…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Unfortunatly the studio was far too reliant on one man. Genius he may be but now he is retired they don’t have someone of his calibre to take over the mantle.

I thought for a minute his son might step into the gap, but obviously not with this announcement.

Their last couple of film have made losses without Miyazaki.

The Tale of Princess Kaguya only made about $25m but cost $50m and their latest film isn’t getting released outside Japan.

However I wouldn’t image one or two failures would be enough to sink Ghibli as they made profits on most of their other movies. I would suggest that this is more of a step back and consider our next move, restructure a little and come up with a new plan for the studio without Miyazaki.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

TimovieMan - 04 August 2014 05:28 AM

On the other hand, Isao Takahata’s movies have never been as successful as Miyazaki’s. The Tale of Princess Kaguya only recouped half of its 50 million dollar budget so far, and When Marnie Was There isn’t doing that great either…

True but he did write and direct what I consider to one of their best movies.

Grave of the Fireflies is an amazing and powerful film.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Sad news. End of an era. I’ll never forget the first time I saw a Studio Ghibli movie - at the time it was Princess Mononoke - magical experience.
Grave of the Fireflies was a lesson on how a movie can destroy a person inside, incredible powerful movie.
Also the timeless classic Totoro that I don’t know a single kid that wasn’t in love with the movie despite not understanding anything spoken.
But it mostly was a one man studio so they probably need to see where they go from here.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

As the rumors fly and the non-Japanese-speaking Internet world tries to figure out exactly what Toshio Suzuki did or didn’t announce, one thing I haven’t seen talked about very much is that Studio Ghibli has been working under Goro Miyazaki on a TV series called Ronia the Robber’s Daughter. Some footage came out in July and it begins airing in October in Japan.

Has anyone seen an article that addresses what the status of the Ronia project is? Unless that project is cancelled or all the production work is done, it seems like at least some portion of the animation department at Ghibli would still be functioning. (Though Ghibli is apparently working with Polygon Pictures on it, so I don’t know how much of the animation Ghibli is actually doing internally.)

The “restructuring” or “housecleaning” may just mean Ghibli will downsize and/or won’t put new feature film projects into the pipeline for awhile, rather than stop producing animation altogether.

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

I’d hate for them to stop making films as it’s probably the only thing we see from them over here.

I remember when I first heard of them through Spirited Away. It was simply incredible and I had to see more of their work. I then started hunting down every film by them going. Apart from odd older more cartoony ones like Lupin, I pretty much enjoyed everything.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Caliburn - 04 August 2014 11:35 AM

As the rumors fly and the non-Japanese-speaking Internet world tries to figure out exactly what Toshio Suzuki did or didn’t announce, one thing I haven’t seen talked about very much is that Studio Ghibli has been working under Goro Miyazaki on a TV series called Ronia the Robber’s Daughter. Some footage came out in July and it begins airing in October in Japan.

Has anyone seen an article that addresses what the status of the Ronia project is? Unless that project is cancelled or all the production work is done, it seems like at least some portion of the animation department at Ghibli would still be functioning. (Though Ghibli is apparently working with Polygon Pictures on it, so I don’t know how much of the animation Ghibli is actually doing internally.)

The “restructuring” or “housecleaning” may just mean Ghibli will downsize and/or won’t put new feature film projects into the pipeline for awhile, rather than stop producing animation altogether.

update???

Dwango runs Japanese video site Nico Nico Douga and owns game developer Spike Chunsoft. Nobuo Kawakami, Dwango’s chairman, previously worked at Studio Ghibli. What’s more. Studio Ghibli is teaming up with Dwango for Ronja the Robber’s Daughter, its upcoming television anime.

Several sources tell ZakZak that under the plan, Dwango will take over Studio Ghibli, including the studio’s staff. This apparently doesn’t include only Studio Ghibli animators, but also its copyright business. Though, it is possible that not all the animators will make the leap to Dwango, should this rumor be true

http://kotaku.com/rumor-studio-ghibli-has-been-bought-1616209312

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

The update says it’s been debunked. Damn! :C

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

A bit more info from Toshio Suzuki.

Unfortunately Brian Ashcraft just sums it up instead of giving a full translation of the Japanese, so if anyone finds a full translation or speaks Japanese, feel free to fill in details.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top