• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Artificial intelligence and self-awareness

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Why must something power it? Science itself is dependent on awareness, along with everything else that exists.

Whether I say “it is tangible” or “it is intangible” awareness is there.

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2018-08-13

PM

Everything is powered, we all are… everything is powered by movement but since you discount what I am [alluding] to I will stop there.

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Game Master - 02 October 2018 08:28 PM

Everything is powered, we all are… everything is powered by movement but since you discount what I am eluding to I will stop there.

As a point of order:

Eluding is to avoid someone/something or to escape from.

Alluding is to call attention to something indirectly and is often used incorrectly when people should be using:

Referring which is directly pointing to something

The reason why I raise this is because if someone is trying to educate/debate/correct they should use accurate language to do so as, by using words incorrectly, they seriously detract from whatever point they are trying to make.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2018-08-13

PM

Jabod, good catch, thanks.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Are we going to get killed yet?

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Everything is powered, we all are… everything is powered by movement but since you discount what I am [alluding] to I will stop there.

Okay. It’s a blanket statement with no evidence, but I’ll provisionally accept it if you tell me:
1. What powers time?
2. What powers space?
3. What powered the universe/big bang/whatever ‘powered’ the big bang?
...and I’ll add a 4th if you’re up to it:
4. What powers existence?

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Origami - 03 October 2018 08:14 PM

Are we going to get killed yet?

We’re booked in for next Tuesday if that suits?

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Headycakesofdoom - 03 October 2018 10:20 PM

Okay. It’s a blanket statement with no evidence, but I’ll provisionally accept it if you tell me:
1. What powers time?
2. What powers space?
3. What powered the universe/big bang/whatever ‘powered’ the big bang?
...and I’ll add a 4th if you’re up to it:
4. What powers existence?

Materialists 0: Immaterialists 1

Smile

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Space, time and existence don’t have to be powered, and the Big Bang, if it happened, was just a freak vacuum fluctuation.

But what do these have to do with awareness?

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

tsa - 24 December 2018 01:19 AM

Space, time and existence don’t have to be powered, and the Big Bang, if it happened, was just a freak vacuum fluctuation.

Everything. Can you say something exists unless you are aware of it? Existence IS awareness, and every object you say exists does so because you’re conscious of it.

What are time and space without awareness? Nothing, they are not even concepts.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

This thread is the perfect illustration of something I thought mankind had figured out three centuries ago, namely that (1) science and metaphysics don’t speak the same language, and (2) metaphysics is worthless bullshit.

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Kurufinwe - 26 December 2018 05:14 AM

This thread is the perfect illustration of something I thought mankind had figured out three centuries ago, namely that (1) science and metaphysics don’t speak the same language, and (2) metaphysics is worthless bullshit.

(1) Why would you expect them to?
(2) If you expect it to provide the same “answers” as science, then yes it is.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Luhr28 - 25 December 2018 07:06 PM

Everything. Can you say something exists unless you are aware of it? Existence IS awareness, and every object you say exists does so because you’re conscious of it.

This must be the weirdest thing I’ve read during the whole of 2018 and probably several years before that.
Are you saying things only exist because ‘we’ are aware of it? (and by we you mean mankind or a specific individual?)

So that essentially means that distant stars and planets many light-years away only came to existence at the moment we invented telescopes to be able to notice them? (even though it took that many years for the light to even travel to the telescope and our eyes
Laughing ) Or better yet, the earth didn’t exist before it inhabited creatures with any awareness abilities?

Hasn’t science taught us that there are many things that exist we are not conscious of? That is why we started to invent machines that can observe things on our behalf. Whether we as humans are aware of it’s existence has no role to play in the matter.

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

subbi - 26 December 2018 05:55 AM

This must be the weirdest thing I’ve read during the whole of 2018 and probably several years before that.
Are you saying things only exist because ‘we’ are aware of it? (and by we you mean mankind or a specific individual?)

So that essentially means that distant stars and planets many light-years away only came to existence at the moment we invented telescopes to be able to notice them? (even though it took that many years for the light to even travel to the telescope and our eyes
Laughing ) Or better yet, the earth didn’t exist before it inhabited creatures with any awareness abilities?

Hasn’t science taught us that there are many things that exist we are not conscious of? That is why we started to invent machines that can observe things on our behalf. Whether we as humans are aware of it’s existence has no role to play in the matter.

The noise of the falling tree. Philosophy and science merge Smile

Life is what it is.

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

subbi - 26 December 2018 05:55 AM

Yes. You (or I or mankind) cannot say a glass on the table exists unless you are aware of it.

This is really a question of cause and effect. When you observe the light through the telescope there is an assumption that the cause and effect are separate, so you conclude there must have been a time the star emitted light you are seeing. The time/space cosmos seems to determine what is being witnessed. Since that can’t be verified it is not meaningful to use notions of time and cause/effect to determine the existence of an object.

Actually this is a good point. Machines do not observe, they seek. The search out for witnesses of what they are looking for and what they are programmed to find - which is incidentally what humans do too. Our notions of time and existence have served us very well for constructing a world which is independent and causative of us and seems to have a life of its own.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top