• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceandiegoIronCretinJdawg445Lady KestrelTimovieManwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Three Questions

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

nefertitipr -

1-> What is the thing that you desire the most?

2-> What bothers you the most in the world right now?

3-> Do you ever think about the things that you will miss when you leave this world?

1. Time. There’s so many things I’d love to do but can’t due to time constraints. If only there were 48 hours in each day, or I never had to sleep at all, or I didn’t have to spend time at work at all… Tongue

2. That not one nation is acting against the atrocities being commited in Syria each day.

3. No, because I won’t miss anything at that point. It kinda comes with the territory of “leaving this world”...

New questions:

1) How did you come by your forum nickname, what does it mean, and why did you decide to use it?

2) Did your parents name you after somebody (like a family member or a celebrity), and why?

3) Do you know the etymology of your first name? If so, what is it (and is it accurate)?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

TimovieMan - 03 September 2012 12:34 PM

1) How did you come by your forum nickname, what does it mean, and why did you decide to use it?

2) Did your parents name you after somebody (like a family member or a celebrity), and why?

3) Do you know the etymology of your first name? If so, what is it (and is it accurate)?

1. Intense Degree were an English 80’s hardcore band. I was too young to be into them at the time but a little later on, when I was getting into metal, a friend’s brother had a CD of theirs (kind of napalm death like) which both my friend and I thought was brilliant. Particularly one track called “Intense Degree” which was about 30 seconds long and just involved some unfathomable shouting of what was presumably “INTENSE DEGREE” over some thrashy guitar and drums. Very funny and cool!

They were a long way from well known in the 80’s having produced only 1 album as far as I am aware and I don’t know if I’ve ever met anyone else who has heard of them (except friend and brother!). But they are cool because they looked like this:

And for some reason they have always stayed in my consciousness, which has blinded me to the fact that my forum name, without knowledge of the band, is really stupid!

As Jelena said to me on the meet up “What is your real name, I can’t call you ‘intense’!” She is completely right, it is stupid (not that I was in any way offended Jelena Laughing) but I suppose I just like some niche things that hardly anyone has heard of, even if it makes me look stupid! (My avatar is another example of this but that is another story and this answer is already stupidly long!)

2. First name, No. However, I have two middle names, the first of which is my Dad’s name and the second of which is my Great Grandad’s name. He fought in WW1 as a gunner which I think is really cool. (The remembrance rather than the terrible atrocities of 1914 - 1918).

3. Michael means “Who is like God?” (rhetorical question, not statement about me!). I am certainly nothing like God so I suppose it is accurate, or at least demonstrative!

I like those questions (in case you couldn’t tell!) so will pass them on.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

Hey Intense, I didn’t think your name is stupid by any means. Smile It just felt a bit awkward to call someone Intense face to face. On the internet it’s not a problem as you can see.

1. I fiddled around with my real name and put the first letter of my surname in front of my first name, like this: JLena which is very close to Jelena. And since I have Russian ancestors on my mother’s side it was a perfect choice for me!
2. My second name is the same as my mother’s and my grandmother’s second name. I won’t tell you the name since I hate it.  Sick
3. After a bit of searching on the internet: Lena can be regarded as a short form of Helena or Magdalena. And from what I’ve found out, Helena means torch and Magdalena means woman from Magdala.

Great questions, let’s have another round of them:

Lazy Bee
Temporary guest in your life.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

New questions:

Oh, those are fun!

1. I got my username when I started my work at the University of Twente. It’s three letters from my family name in the right order. My roommate’s username was tas. Guess what his family name was Smile.

2. Yes, my grandpa and his father. They were called Rint and Willem respectively. My grandfathers were alternatively called Rint or Rintje and Willem, and my parents decided to give me both names. Unfortunately my brother and I never got children so the tradition stops here after a few hundreds of years.

3. No.

I’ll think of new questions later.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

1. My first name is Timothy, friends call me Timo for short, I’m an avid movie lover, and the joining of “Timo” and “movie” led to the use of the nickname “Timovie” back when I was 14 or so (long before I had internet access).
When I got internet access and wanted to chat, a certain site (I think it was Yahoo, but I’m not sure anymore) required unique user nicknames, and both “Filmfreak” (which was my first choice) and “Timovie” were already taken, so I turned Timovie into TimovieMan, and it stuck.
I kept using Filmfreak as a primary nick on forums and whatnot for a while, but it didn’t take all that long before TimovieMan became my nick of choice. Especially since the other geeks on the WWW taught me I wasn’t as elite a filmfreak as I first thought… Tongue

2. I was named after Timothy B. Schmit, the bass player of The Eagles. My second name is Lindsey, after Lindsey Buckingham, the frontman of Fleetwood Mac. Not because my parents idolised them so much, but because my parents - when they were looking for appropriate names - browsed through my dad’s LP collection for inspiration. Those were the names they liked, nothing to do with the persons behind the names… Tongue

3. The origin of Timothy is found in both Latin (Timotheus) and Ancient Greek (Timotheos). It means “honouring God” and couldn’t be further from the truth, since I’m an agnost. Tongue

How dare I, answering my own questions like that! Meh, let’s just have yet another go at them…  Innocent

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2012-09-02

PM

1) My forum nickname is simply inspired by Nefertiti the Egyptian Great Royal Wife of the Pharaoh Akhenaten and I added the “pr” since in a lot of sites the nickname nefertiti is usually taken so “pr” represents the word princess in my mind but it also looks and sounds good I think and it is never taken. I actually thought of it because an english teacher of mine called me that sometimes pretending he forgot my real name and I liked it.

2)They named me after my great-grandmother from my father’s side mostly because it’s a traditional thing and they also liked it.

3) It means ” the one that is praised by the sailors”

Total Posts: 165

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

RESURRECTING THIS THREAD

1. The ‘Thief’ series are some of my favourite games, and I was probably playing one of them when I signed up here all those years ago (Hammerites are a peculiar religious order in that game, by the way).

2. I was named after my late grandfather.

3. Not too sure. I’ve looked it up before, hoping it would mean “solid gangsta” or something, but it’s something not overly interesting, if I remember rightly.
__

1. I’m thinking of starting a blog. Any tips from some of you more seasoned bloggers?

2. Any good indie game recommendations?

3. Best quote you’ve heard today? Could be from anywhere - i.e. conversation you had, conversation you overheard, something you watched/listened to, etc.

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2006-06-23

PM

Hammerite - 17 September 2012 11:39 AM

1. I’m thinking of starting a blog. Any tips from some of you more seasoned bloggers?
3. Best quote you’ve heard today? Could be from anywhere - i.e. conversation you had, conversation you overheard, something you watched/listened to, etc.

1. Write. Every. Day. And social network your blog as far and wide as you can.
2. I’m looking forward to Dominique Pamplemousse.
3. We all carry our prisons around with us. ~Kahler Jex (Doctor Who, ‘A Town Called Mercy’, season #07 episode #03)

1) Do you prefer CDs or digital downloads when you buy new music?
2) Do you care if music is DRM-free?
3) Do you prefer videos to audio files when listening to new songs?

Lee Edward McIlmoyle,
Probably NOT the kind of guy you think he is.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Lee in Limbo -

1. Digital downloads
2. Yes, DRM is evil!
3. No, I don’t like watching videos much.

—-

1. Do you often listen to the news on the radio?
2. Are you interested in the background stories in the newspaper?
3. Do you solve the puzzles in the newspaper?

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Hammerite -

1. Write early. Write often. And then assault the internet with it. By that I mean: incorporate as much assistance for search engine robots into the blog software as you can (metatags, sitemaps, robots.txt, etc.), and then get the link to your site out there as much as possible (via social network sites, your signature on forums, more social network sites, etc.).

2. This site and forums should have hooked you up with more than enough adventure indies, so I’m going to suggest a sports game and a tycoon-type sim game:
- Tennis Elbow 2011 is by far the best tennis game I’ve ever played, it gets updated frequently, and the modding community is enhancing it constantly. If you like sports and tennis games, this one could wreck your social life… Tongue
- Ports of Call XXL is a pretty good trade and shipping simulator. The ‘classic’ version of PoC was one of my most-played games in the early ‘90s. Support and updates for the XXL-version has been scarse these last two years, but apparently the designer is working on a XXL 2.

3. “When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.” - Dom Hélder Câmara
I’m playing Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword. This quote is the one that accompagnies the in-game discovery of communism. It’s spoken by Leonard Nimoy in the game.

Lee in Limbo -

1) I made the full shift to digital downloads a few years ago.
2) Yes, I care. DRM is an abomination and I’m often willing to go out of my way to avoid or even bypass it.
3) Audio files when I actually want to *listen*. A YouTube video is often easier if it’s just for some short-term background music. For long-term background music (like when having friends over for dinner), then audio files win again.

tsa -

1. Do you often listen to the news on the radio?
2. Are you interested in the background stories in the newspaper?
3. Do you solve the puzzles in the newspaper?

1. Only when I’m in my car and not listening to an mp3-cd at the time. Which is rarely.
2. I rarely read the newspaper. I would read background stories if the story itself interested me.
3. Nope. I have enough ‘Denksport’ puzzle books at home if I need my puzzle fix. Rarely reading newspapers doesn’t help either…

Since I’m rather worthless at these radio/newspaper questions, let someone else have a go at them…

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

MOAR QUESTIONS: (please do feel free to answer the older ones too though)

1. Have you ever received a valentine’s card from a mystery admirer? (i.e. you honestly had no idea who it was from). In the alternative, have you ever sent one to a mystery admiree?!

2. If you could create your own “day” (i.e. valentine’s, father’s, grandparent’s etc.) to celebrate something (but ultimately so big companies could cash in on it of course!) what would it be?

3. When was the last time you sent a card to someone when it was not their Birthday or Christmas (or similar) and why?

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Intense Degree - 10 October 2012 01:03 PM

MOAR QUESTIONS: (please do feel free to answer the older ones too though)

1. Have you ever received a valentine’s card from a mystery admirer? (i.e. you honestly had no idea who it was from). In the alternative, have you ever sent one to a mystery admiree?!

2. If you could create your own “day” (i.e. valentine’s, father’s, grandparent’s etc.) to celebrate something (but ultimately so big companies could cash in on it of course!) what would it be?

3. When was the last time you sent a card to someone when it was not their Birthday or Christmas (or similar) and why?

1. Unfortunately not!
2. That’s hard. We have so many days already here in The Netherlands. Oh I know! Let’s make an Atheists day! We have many religious days here (all Christian of course) but no days for atheists.

Hm. I’m not sure that will work though.

3. I ‘sent’ a card to my ex-roommate in the hospital. Actually I just gave it to him, but the idea is the same.

——————

1. Do you have specific places on your computer screen for certain programs? Or are you one of those people who run everything full screen?
2. Do you always install all your updates?
3. Does it matter to you what kind of phone you have?

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Intense Degree -

1. Nope, and nope.

2. “Movie Marathon”-day, where you do nothing but watch movies back-to-back until you fall asleep (pauzes for toilet breaks and for eating are allowed, of course).
This should be made into an official day, so I’d remember to hold one every year instead of just every few years…
My record is 20 movies in 42 hours. This was back in 2004 or 2005. Last year I made a new attempt to beat that record, but it stranded at 18 movies in 36 hours…
Yes, there is something wrong with me.

3. A few months ago. It was a “get well soon”-card that I sent to tsa while he was in hospital.

tsa -

1. Do you have specific places on your computer screen for certain programs? Or are you one of those people who run everything full screen?

1. Depends on the programs that are running. Some are only run full screen, but others (especially when I do things simultaneously) get only a part of the screen, and that part will always be the same. I’m a lay-out fanatic, and even moving a program one pixel too much to the left or right will get me into OCD-rage.
This extends beyond my computer screen. My desk at work has several stacks of papers and a few standing ring-binders on it. I have a colleague who always moves things on my desk “to make way for what she’s about to give me”. It messes up my system and makes me throw a hissy fit every time.
It’s a problem.

2. Yes. The only thing I don’t do instantly is rebooting the computer once the update has finished (if it asks me to). I’ll “reboot” by quitting when I’m done for the day and by starting again tomorrow, darn it.

3. I was going to say “no” because mine’s ancient, but in truth, the answer is “yes”. I DON’T want a fancy touch-screen millions-of-uses gadget. It’s a friggin’ phone. It only needs to be able to phone and text. And maybe have an alarm clock. That’s it.
Everything else is why I have a PC in the first place. Plus it’s cheaper this way…

Same questions.

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

tsa - 10 October 2012 01:18 PM

1. It depends on the application but generally I do run things fullscreen. However, at work I am a little bit OCD about the order window tabs are in in my taskbar (and it’s Win XP so there is no way to change the order without closing and opening windows!). It goes 1. E-mail, 2. Phone manager, 3. Case management system, 4. Dictation program, 5. Internetz, 6. Word and then whatever else following.

2. Generally Yes, although work ones are done automatically anyway. I don’t always on my Android Phone as I like to check that devs aren’t slipping in a new permission or two for snooping purposes!

3. Ashamed to say it but yes. Whilst I have no particular interest in iphones I rely heavily on my Android for e-mail, calendar, games and stopping me getting bored on the train! To be honest, it’s really a PDA and the fact that it can make and receive telephone calls is just a bonus!

I really don’t know how I would cope if I had to go back to a non-smartphone, which is pretty sad really when I think about it.

1. What is your view of advertising in “free” apps or games on whatever platform? What, if anything, is too much?

2. Which one of the following is the most important for you to have, a desktop, laptop, phone, TV or similar?

3. If you had to choose between (1)computers/consoles/teh internetz and (2)TV/Films (on the assumption that you couldn’t get TV/films on the computer/console/internet and don’t have a smart TV) which one would you have?

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2006-06-23

PM

Intense Degree - 17 October 2012 10:27 AM

1. What is your view of advertising in “free” apps or games on whatever platform? What, if anything, is too much?
2. Which one of the following is the most important for you to have, a desktop, laptop, phone, TV or similar?
3. If you had to choose between (1)computers/consoles/teh internetz and (2)TV/Films (on the assumption that you couldn’t get TV/films on the computer/console/internet and don’t have a smart TV) which one would you have?

1. I don’t really have a proper opinion. I’m not convinced that digital ads work all that well, but I recognize that revenue streams for products and services I like need to be secured, so I just grin and bear it, kind of like proctology exams. Wink
2. Desktop, then laptop, then phone, then and only then TV. Phones are a necessary evil, but I do most of my work on either the desktop or laptop computers I own. I enjoy good TV, but I resent the time it takes away from my work.
3. I kinda like console gaming, but prefer desktop gaming, because the subject matter suits my tastes better. Internet gaming has amused me in places, but I generally don’t like the gameplay on offer. I DO like some MMOs, which probably falls into that category, though I’m still waiting for a true MMOAG that feels good and works (sorry, MOUL).

1) What’s the trickiest piece of music you enjoy listening to (or playing, if you’re a musician who can play that sort of thing)?
2) What’s the weirdest piece of music you enjoy listening to?
3) What’s the ‘poppiest’ piece of music you enjoy listening to?

I don’t mind if nobody answers, but I would love for as many answers as possible.

Lee Edward McIlmoyle,
Probably NOT the kind of guy you think he is.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top