• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Becky

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Annual Academy Awards Ballot thread

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Abnaxus - 17 February 2015 09:45 AM
wilco - 17 February 2015 05:48 AM

Prediction time?

Every year me and two of my friends are competing on who will get the most predictions right, so far I`m the undisputed champion winning 3 years in a row… so here are mine:

Best Motion Picture of the Year
Birdman

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
Eddie Redmayne

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role
Julianne Moore

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
J.K. Simmons

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role
Patricia Arquette

Best Achievement in Directing
Richard Linklater

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen
The Grand Budapest Hotel

Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published
Whiplash

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year
How to Train Your Dragon 2

Best Foreign Language Film of the Year
Ida

Best Achievement in Cinematography
Birdman

Best Achievement in Editing
Boyhood

Best Achievement in Production Design
The Grand Budapest Hotel

Best Achievement in Costume Design
The Grand Budapest Hotel

Best Achievement in Makeup and Hairstyling
The Grand Budapest Hotel

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score
The Theory of Everything

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song
Selma

Best Achievement in Sound Mixing
American Sniper

Best Achievement in Sound Editing
American Sniper

Best Achievement in Visual Effects
Interstellar

Best Documentary, Feature
Citizenfour

Best Documentary, Short Subject
Crisis Hotline: Veterans Press 1

Best Short Film, Animated
Feast

Best Short Film, Live Action
The Phone Call

Really cogent predictions.

Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Boyhood
Birdman and Grand Budapest Hotel are possible as well. GBH was released too long ago, though, and Birdman hits a bit too close to home with some of its Hollywood criticism for the Oscar, imo.

Eddie Redmayne
Although I’m still rooting for Keaton. Tongue

Julianne Moore
Easiest pick of the lot, imo.

J.K. Simmons

Patricia Arquette

Richard Linklater
Iñárritu probably had the most challenging direction, but Linklater took 12 years. And I don’t think they’d go for back-to-back Mexicans. Tongue

The Grand Budapest Hotel

The Imitation Game

Should have been The Lego Movie but that wasn’t even nominated.

Ida
Torn between Ida and Leviathan.

Birdman

Boyhood
It baffles me that Birdman wasn’t nominated here.

The Grand Budapest Hotel

The Grand Budapest Hotel

The Grand Budapest Hotel

The Grand Budapest Hotel - Alexandre Desplat
He’s overdue for an Oscar, imo.

Selma - ‘Glory’
Although I love the nonsensical “Everything Is Awesome”, it’s not winner material.

American Sniper
I’d have gone for Whiplash IF it also had a Sound Editing nod, but it didn’t. Somehow.

American Sniper
Why is Whiplash not nominated???

Interstellar

Citizenfour

Feast

The Phone Call
Although I’m torn between that and Boogaloo & Graham.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

nomadsoul - 17 February 2015 01:59 PM
Abnaxus - 17 February 2015 09:45 AM
wilco - 17 February 2015 05:48 AM

Prediction time?

Every year me and two of my friends are competing on who will get the most predictions right, so far I`m the undisputed champion winning 3 years in a row… so here are mine:

Birdman

Eddie Redmayne

Julianne Moore

J.K. Simmons

Patricia Arquette

Richard Linklater

The Grand Budapest Hotel

Whiplash

Ida

Birdman

Boyhood

The Grand Budapest Hotel

The Grand Budapest Hotel

The Grand Budapest Hotel

The Theory of Everything

Selma

American Sniper

American Sniper

Interstellar

Citizenfour

Feast

The Phone Call

Really cogent predictions.

Thumbs Up

As i said cogent, you got almost all right , seems like you were insider Wink

Great to see Birdman wiping out everyone,best movie, direction etc.
And Julian getting for best actress, seriously she was not just amazing in Still Alice
but also in Maps of the stars, the later film was also Oscar worthy performance.

Boyhood Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

yeah, Abnaxus, good callings

Show was not very good. I think NPH didn’t deliver besides the expected opening musical act.

Boyhood got destroyed. Happy Whiplash got some deserved nodes - incredible movie.
Birdman winning is cool, but I Michael Keaton also should have won

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

18 out of 24 correct.

Sad to see Boyhood walk away with so little, but kudos to Birdman. Cool
Last year Cuarón won best director, now Iñárritu. Back-to-back Mexicans. Tongue
Del Toro and Rodriguez, you’re up! Grin

Will see if I can find the time to watch the actual show this week (I didn’t want to stay up until 6 am before a work day). Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

wilco - 23 February 2015 06:17 AM

Thanks wilco, 10/24 is a pretty good score Thumbs Up

Me 17/24, TimovieMan 18/24, argh so close… Congrats TimovieMan ! Well at least I won again against my friends, 4 years in a row now !  Cool

Women come and go… a highscore lasts forever

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 23 February 2015 06:17 AM

Show was not very good. I think NPH didn’t deliver besides the expected opening musical act.

Boyhood got destroyed. Happy Whiplash got some deserved nodes - incredible movie.
Birdman winning is cool, but I Michael Keaton also should have won

NPH performance was cringe worthy, never liked the guy.

Have to check out Whiplash.

Speeches were great, Parents respect, Women Wage equality, Mexican immigration rights etc.
Everyone came with their personal angle.
Seanpenn appearance to announce best film (21grams actor), was dead giveaway for Birdman win.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

It’s that time of the year again.

Here’s my list of which white people nominees I think will win:

Best Picture
The Revenant

Best Director
Alejandro González Iñárritu - The Revenant

Best Actor
Leonardo DiCaprio - The Revenant

Best Actress
Brie Larson - Room

Best Supporting Actor
Sylvester Stallone - Creed

Best Supporting Actress
Alicia Vikander - The Danish Girl

Best Original Screenplay
Spotlight

Best Adapted Screenplay
The Big Short

Best Cinematography
The Revenant

Best Costume Design
Mad Max: Fury Road

Best Makeup

Best Production Design

Best Film Editing

Best Sound Editing

Best Sound Mixing

Best Visual Effects
Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Best Original Score
The Hateful Eight

Best Original Song
Til It Happens to You - The Hunting Ground

Best Animated Feature
Inside Out

Best Foreign Language Film
Son of Saul

Best Documentary Feature
Amy

Best Animated Short
Sanjay’s Super Team

Best Live Action Short
Ave Maria

Best Documentary Short
Body Team 12

Basically, The Revenant takes the big categories (with back-to-back Oscars for Iñárritu and three-in-a-row for Mexican directors!), and Mad Max takes the smaller technical ones.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

A bit off the topic, so I apologize in advance, basically because I do not try to guess which movie will win. Anyway…

In general I see a lot of foreign, independent and strange films and I almost never see the typical Hollywood movies, I see a lot of foreign films and somewhat “atypical” basically because it is the kind of cinema that I love, and as is obvious the vast majority of these films never fall under the radar of Hollywood awards, therefore for me Oscars mean nothing.

Having said that and without it being a contradiction, this year there was an exception (every rule has an exception, right?), because I’ve seen 2 movies that are nominated and I want to take the opportunity to say something about them.

One of these is The Revenant, a “tribute” (let’s say a tribute) to Tarkovsky by Iñárritu, a good film but somewhat overrated, I believe. And the other one is Mad Max Fury Road, this particular movie is the kind of movies that I avoid like the plague, you know ... riddled with special effects, CGI and those things that children love so much and intended to massive public, let’s say the easy entertaining in a few words.

However I watched it because when I was a kid I used to love the original movie with Mel Gibson, so for that reason and after reading so many good things about it I decided to look at it….and…. oh ... Gosh ... It turned out one of the biggest crap I’ve seen in a long time, a virtually nonexistent script, a simple and goofy plot, the performances are pathetic, the movie with Mel was much more raw and wild, in this case the only thing I found are a lots of explosions, a lots of noise, pirouettes outputs of a Circus, everything greatly exaggerated, this time there is no excitement, there is no adventure, this time… there is nothing. How so many people raved about this movie? it is beyond me.

PS1:

TimovieMan - 26 February 2016 07:23 AM

Here’s my list of which white people nominees I think will win:...

I do not quite understand what you meant by that.

PS2: I did not know that in Belgium keyboards also had the “ñ”.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

It’s that time of the year again.

Here’s my list of which white people nominees I think will win:

Best Picture
The Revenant

Best Director
Alejandro González Iñárritu - The Revenant

Best Actor
Leonardo DiCaprio - The Revenant

AHH, how i wish, HOW I WISH!, but to tell you the truth, it aint gonna happen, when i saw him given the GG, i was more convinced it will never happen, even the way he received it, showed (at his speech) that he believes it too, as they are saying it to him “ok!, you can have a GG, but never an Oscar” Frown

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Renacimiento - 26 February 2016 11:17 AM

How so many people raved about this movie? it is beyond me.

I think that’s it, you just don’t like the genre at all bacause it was easily one of the best action movies of the last decade.

Here’s my list of which white people nominees I think will win:...

I do not quite understand what you meant by that.

It’s about this “big” controversy

http://variety.com/2016/biz/news/oscar-nominations-2016-diversity-white-1201674903/

About the oscars, I can’t really predict since I’ve seen so little and no know so little but I think Leo will finally get his and Inarritu won’t get his second best movie award because Hollywood won’t want to give him 2-in-row.

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

wilco - 26 February 2016 03:55 PM

I think that’s it, you just don’t like the genre at all bacause it was easily one of the best action movies of the last decade.

I prefer to see the original any day, a true classic. In this age of special effects aplenty I think the remake will be forgotten soon.

It’s about this “big” controversy

http://variety.com/2016/biz/news/oscar-nominations-2016-diversity-white-1201674903/

A rather silly controversy by the way, movies as well as its interpreters should be nominated because of their merits, not taking into consideration the ethnic origin. This stupid diversity that some people demand is quite upset, because the reason for their claim is simply because “there are few blacks people” only for that reason, one of the idiots transmitters of this message is Spike Lee. Tomorrow someone will say that there are few Asians, and so on until the true sense of reward will be lost .... the merits.

Rant over/

~

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Renacimiento - 26 February 2016 06:43 PM

I prefer to see the original any day, a true classic. In this age of special effects aplenty I think the remake will be forgotten soon.

Actually, George Miller (the same director of the original, btw) tried to avoid special effects as much as he could and went for mostly practical effects instead. Wink
Which makes the action sequences even more insane… Crazy

A rather silly controversy by the way, movies as well as its interpreters should be nominated because of their merits, not taking into consideration the ethnic origin. This stupid diversity that some people demand is quite upset, because the reason for their claim is simply because “there are few blacks people” only for that reason, one of the idiots transmitters of this message is Spike Lee. Tomorrow someone will say that there are few Asians, and so on until the true sense of reward will be lost .... the merits.

Rant over/

Actually, based on merits, Michael B. Jordan could have been nominated for Best Actor for Creed, Idris Elba could have been nominated for Best Supporting Actor for Beasts of No Nation, and director F. Gary Gray could have been nominated for Straight Outta Compton, among others. Especially Elba is an atrocious snub, imo. The fact that they aren’t nominated kinda gives credit to the entire controversy.
At least the hilarious Chris Rock is hosting the show. Contrary to Spike Lee and Jada Pinkett-Smith, I’d watch the show for him alone. Not that I wouldn’t watch it anyway… Tongue

PS2: I did not know that in Belgium keyboards also had the “ñ”.

We don’t. We have the ~ that we can put on several letters if we wãñt tõ.
Besides, I like to have the original names correct if at all possible.
I’ll always write Agustín Cordes with the í in the first name as well. It’s only right. I’ll often copy-paste the names off the internet just to be sure.

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

TimovieMan - 27 February 2016 02:35 PM

Actually, George Miller (the same director of the original, btw) tried to avoid special effects as much as he could and went for mostly practical effects instead. Wink
Which makes the action sequences even more insane… Crazy

Really? That’s a surprise, yet all seems very exaggerated to me, just an eye candy.

Actually, based on merits, Michael B. Jordan could have been nominated for Best Actor for Creed, Idris Elba could have been nominated for Best Supporting Actor for Beasts of No Nation, and director F. Gary Gray could have been nominated for Straight Outta Compton, among others. Especially Elba is an atrocious snub, imo. The fact that they aren’t nominated kinda gives credit to the entire controversy.
At least the hilarious Chris Rock is hosting the show. Contrary to Spike Lee and Jada Pinkett-Smith, I’d watch the show for him alone. Not that I wouldn’t watch it anyway… Tongue

But the “could have been” is not the same as “should have been”, which is obviously subjective, the fact that they could have been nominated and were not, does not mean that is due solely to a matter of whether “they are black or not”. I think they want you to think exactly that, that they were not nominated just because they are black, and that way of thinking seems to me very narrow, ie with that mindset I could say that the Academy is discriminatory because there are no gay actors nominated this year.

Do not misunderstand me, as I said before I do not care about the Academy and its awards, I merely criticize the reason for this alleged controversy when the Academy most of the time is exactly being politically correct, does not happen with awards for best foreign film? They are always granted for political reasons, that is known. Eg: Make a movie with an anti-Nazi background and you will earn awards for sure… lame. And I think it would be a pity that this behavior can also be extended to other categories only to please those who supposedly are offended. More politically correct on the way!

Anyway ... I digress the thread again. Sorry.

We don’t. We have the ~ that we can put on several letters if we wãñt tõ.
Besides, I like to have the original names correct if at all possible.
I’ll always write Agustín Cordes with the í in the first name as well. It’s only right. I’ll often copy-paste the names off the internet just to be sure.

I think it’s very good that you try to keep the original and correct way in which certain names must be written. In Spanish accents and tildes (´) are very important, a word with a tilde may mean something completely different than without it and of course has to be placed in the appropriate vowel. So you see.. Is not the same Agustín than Agústin. Grammatically it is different and also sounds very different when you say it.

~

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

And the winners are:

• The Big Short

• Leonardo DiCaprio

• Brie Larson