• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Games that didn’t get Great Reviews and Awards that you think are way underrated.

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I think I mentioned this once before in a different, but similar thread.

I used to work in the consumer electronics industry. Specifically in the High Fidelity/Music/Sound reinforcement spectrum.

I think my comment said “Know the critic.” There were music critics whom I consistently disagreed with. Simple answer was to buy what he/she said was garbage, and stay far away from whatever he/she recommended. For the most part that worked for me. But you have to do your research.

If there is a game that only got one star here on AG. It makes no sense to criticize the rating. It is what it is. The only thing you can say is “Of course it only got one star. Look who wrote the review!” If a certain reviewer consistently underrates a certain type of game that you like, then you have every reason to make a buying/playing decision that is opposite of this person’s recommendation.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I would put Post Morten on this list:

“According to Microïds, the game and its successor, Still Life, were commercial successes. The publisher reported combined global sales for the series above 500,000 units by September 2008.”

The game got 2 stars in its review on this site. As the lead in to Still Life, I would give it at least 3.

Heart

Image Attachments

9F18CB57-E547-401E-B4E1-8504DFC88B54.jpeg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Miasmata is worth a mention. Featured innovation in introducing a puzzle-based navigation mechanic yet didn’t even get much fanfare on release, aside from the 4 star review.

You could contrast it with Obra Dinn, which got much more attention.

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

How about “Culpa Innata”?

Asking because I’ve played it years ago (back when it came out), and I enjoyed the heck out of that game despite the flaws (looking at you - “ending”). Surprisingly, it’s one of the lesser known games during that time period. Many adventure players (that aren’t quite on the level of dedication to the genre that folks here have) are obviously aware of “The Longest Journey” and “Syberia”, quite a few are familiar with “Still Life”, “Post Mortem”, “Sinking Island” or “Fahrenheit”, but almost no one knows of “Culpa Innata”.

Also, it seemed to me I enjoyed it on more than 3.5 stars level given here by AG, but I’ll definitely have to replay the game to say for sure.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I have this game and loved it in the day. It needs a replay by me. This was published by a very minor independent publisher (Strategy First) and that didn’t help the game popularity. This does deserve more recognition that it has gotten, it’s a true classic adventure game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 837

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

DCast - 10 April 2021 02:08 AM

Asking because I’ve played it years ago (back when it came out), and I enjoyed the heck out of that game despite the flaws (looking at you - “ending”). Surprisingly, it’s one of the lesser known games during that time period. Many adventure players (that aren’t quite on the level of dedication to the genre that folks here have) are obviously aware of “The Longest Journey” and “Syberia”, quite a few are familiar with “Still Life”, “Post Mortem”, “Sinking Island” or “Fahrenheit”, but almost no one knows of “Culpa Innata”.

Also, it seemed to me I enjoyed it on more than 3.5 stars level given here by AG, but I’ll definitely have to replay the game to say for sure.

I owned this game in the ‘big box’ (by the time it came out, games were coming in ‘medium boxes’), but I don’t think it ever worked on my computer. Seems to be a pretty polarizing game, which has gained a little weight at the positive polar in recent years.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I never got Culpa Innata working either. That’s one thing I’m glad is gone from the “old days”, the mystery of discovering whether a game (which your PC is meant to be totally capable of running) will work or not.

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

I own it on Steam. Suppose, I need to check if I can run it, however, I never had problems with it back then. And, yes - I don’t miss constantly checking the specs on any new game, and then still mostly strongly hope it would work Smile

I recall “Culpa Innata” being very story-centered, going in depth with futuristic sociopolitical issues and manages to be interesting and quite refreshing with it. It’s just that ending that made a player feel like there MUST be another part to it (which never came to be)... but I still remember it fondly, and I played it in 2007, so, I suppose, that says something about the game.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Luhr28 - 10 April 2021 07:29 PM

I never got Culpa Innata working either. That’s one thing I’m glad is gone from the “old days”, the mystery of discovering whether a game (which your PC is meant to be totally capable of running) will work or not.

Gone? Count yourself lucky. I’ve had problems with several Steam games. Couldn’t get Unheard to run at all. Noctropolis didn’t show the in-game text, but there’s nothing wrong with the GOG version I bought later. A few games refuse to start unless I turn off my antivirus software and I don’t like doing that, even though Defender takes over.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

That’s true. I’ve had a few not working for me also. I don’t count it as being so bad though, saves me time and money. Buying a boxed game sometimes you couldn’t get a refund.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I remember Culpa Innata well enough, it’s hardly a classic, but pretty interesting story-wise (based on some acclaimed Turkish dystopian novel), a mix of everything - Ayn Rand, Philip K. Dick, Huxley. There are many “deja vu” moments, like interrogation scenes borrowed directly from Blade Runner. Also sex is a running theme, everyone in the game is obsessed with it. Gameplay is somewhat turn-based, i.m. time passes after you change locations, and you are basically given only several attempts per day to accomplish everything you need, then you move to the next day. This quickly becomes repetitive, especially since the world is rather empty (Syberia-style) and doesn’t offer much in terms of adventuring, although non-inventory puzzles are pretty good, the “detective stuff” in particular.

The game is also very ugly (not just outdated graphics, but also poorly drawn environments) and ends on a cliffhanger, so there’s that. On a positive note, I remember that the team behind was very open to adventure community and called themselves adventure fans. Just Adventure covered the development a lot, and some Jack Allin is credited with script editing Smile

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1238

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I liked Culpa Innata very much. Of course it has its flaws, but it was like an small open world game with much freedom when investigating. I translated it a couple of years ago, but we had problems changing and reimporting images that where crucial for some puzzles, and it is stand by since then. I promised to resume this year.

They were suposed to make a sequel, but I guess they didn’t get funding.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Doom - 11 April 2021 12:22 PM

I remember Culpa Innata well enough, it’s hardly a classic, but pretty interesting story-wise (based on some acclaimed Turkish dystopian novel), a mix of everything - Ayn Rand, Philip K. Dick, Huxley. There are many “deja vu” moments, like interrogation scenes borrowed directly from Blade Runner. Also sex is a running theme, everyone in the game is obsessed with it. Gameplay is somewhat turn-based, i.m. time passes after you change locations, and you are basically given only several attempts per day to accomplish everything you need, then you move to the next day. This quickly becomes repetitive, especially since the world is rather empty (Syberia-style) and doesn’t offer much in terms of adventuring, although non-inventory puzzles are pretty good, the “detective stuff” in particular.

The game is also very ugly (not just outdated graphics, but also poorly drawn environments) and ends on a cliffhanger, so there’s that. On a positive note, I remember that the team behind was very open to adventure community and called themselves adventure fans. Just Adventure covered the development a lot, and some Jack Allin is credited with script editing Smile

The time concept completely slipped my mind, but now that you mentioned it - I think I vaguely remember it. This game has got to be a next replay for me. I’m curious how my impression from the game in 2007 compares to 2021. I still think it’s a bit underrated mostly because it tends to be less known than the other adventures that came out during that time, but majority of people that actually got to play it seem to have generally favorable reviews.

Interesting tidbits! Didn’t have that much of an online presence back then, but I do remember that you’d have to wait for monthly issues of a zine to find out about adventures Grin

walas74 - 11 April 2021 12:41 PM

I liked Culpa Innata very much. Of course it has its flaws, but it was like an small open world game with much freedom when investigating. I translated it a couple of years ago, but we had problems changing and reimporting images that where crucial for some puzzles, and it is stand by since then. I promised to resume this year.

They were suposed to make a sequel, but I guess they didn’t get funding.

Translated it on your own accord or because developers still (semi-) active? I’d venture a guess that your translator’s resume includes a ton of impressive titles Smile

The lack of any kind of continuation is big letdown, yeah. I think AG even have some screenshots of what was supposed to be next game before it got “CANCELLED” stamp on it

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

DCast - 10 April 2021 02:08 AM

Asking because I’ve played it years ago (back when it came out), and I enjoyed the heck out of that game despite the flaws (looking at you - “ending”).
..........Also, it seemed to me I enjoyed it on more than 3.5 stars level given here by AG…..

.......I recall “Culpa Innata” being very story-centered, going in depth with futuristic sociopolitical issues and manages to be interesting and quite refreshing with it. It’s just that ending that made a player feel like there MUST be another part to it (which never came to be)... but I still remember it fondly, and I played it in 2007, so, I suppose, that says something about the game.

Great example of an underrated game. I loved this when it first came out & was so disappointed that a sequel never materialised so much that I requested the book as an xmas present in the hope that I could read the sequel ! No, there’s no sequel to the book either but there is some insight in the first book to make it worth reading. As I understand it’s possible to solve the murder mystery without going anywhere near the subplot which I guess would be the theme of the future game/book which hasn’t materialised.

I loved the game at the time & after reading the book (& being very disappointed that it didn’t further the story & the author never went on to write the sequel) I went on to replay it & found it just as interesting.

But yes, the lack of continuation is a big letdown.

Total Posts: 837

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Without giving any spoilers, can someone tell me just how un-ended Culpa Innata is? Hearing so many nice things said about it, I’m thinking of giving it a go, but if it ends square in the middle then I might pass on it.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top