• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabrielrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Annual Academy Awards Ballot thread

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

It’s that time of the year again! Now that the Aggies are in the middle of being awarded, it’s time to prepare for the Oscars!
Sunday February 24th will mark the 85th Annual Academy Awards ceremony. So get out your ballots and tell us: who do you think will win? Who do you think should win???

The nominees are:

Best Picture:
- Amour
- Argo
- Beasts of the Southern Wild
- Django Unchained
- Les Misérables
- Life of Pi
- Lincoln
- Silver Linings Playbook
- Zero Dark Thirty

Best Director:
- Michael Haneke (Amour)
- Benh Zeitlin (Beasts of the Southern Wild)
- Ang Lee (Life of Pi)
- Steven Spielberg (Lincoln)
- David O. Russell (Silver Linings Playbook)

Best Actor:
- Bradley Cooper (Silver Linings Playbook)
- Daniel Day-Lewis (Lincoln)
- Hugh Jackman (Les Misérables)
- Joaquin Phoenix (The Master)
- Denzel Washington (Flight)

Best Actress:
- Jessica Chastain (Zero Dark Thirty)
- Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings Playbook)
- Emmanuelle Riva (Amour)
- Quvenzhané Wallis (Beasts of the Southern Wild)
- Naomi Watts (The Impossible)

Best Supporting Actor:
- Alan Arkin (Argo)
- Robert De Niro (Silver Linings Playbook)
- Phillip Seymour Hoffman (The Master)
- Tommy Lee Jones (Lincoln)
- Christoph Waltz (Django Unchained)

Best Supporting Actress:
- Amy Adams (The Master)
- Sally Field (Lincoln)
- Anne Hathaway (Les Misérables)
- Helen Hunt (The Sessions)
- Jacki Weaver (Silver Linings Playbook)

Best Animated Feature Film:
- Brave
- Frankenweenie
- ParaNorman
- The Pirates! Band of Misfits
- Wreck-It Ralph

Best Foreign Film:
- Amour (Austria)
- Kon-Tiki (Norway)
- No (Chile)
- A Royal Affair (Denmark)
- War Witch (Canada)

Best Original Screenplay:
- Amour
- Django Unchained
- Flight
- Moonrise Kingdom
- Zero Dark Thirty

Best Adapted Screenplay:
- Argo
- Beasts of the Southern Wild
- Life of Pi
- Lincoln

Best Original Score:
- Anna Karenina (Dario Marianelli)
- Argo (Alexandre Desplat)
- Life of Pi (Mychael Danna)
- Lincoln (John Williams)
- Skyfall (Thomas Newman)

Best Original Song:
- Before My Time (Chasing Ice)
- Everybody Needs a Best Friend (Ted)
- Pi’s Lullaby (Life of Pi)
- Skyfall (Skyfall)
- Suddenly (Les Misérables)

Best Costume Design:
- Anna Karenina
- Les Misérables
- Lincoln
- Mirror Mirror
- Snow White and the Huntsman

Best Makeup & Hairstyling:
- Hitchcock
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
- Les Misérables

Best Production Design:
- Anna Karenina
- Les Misérables
- Life of Pi
- Lincoln

Best Cinematography:
- Anna Karenina
- Django Unchained
- Life of Pi
- Lincoln
- Skyfall

Best Film Editing:
- Argo
- Life of Pi
- Lincoln
- Zero Dark Thirty

Best Visual Effects:
- Life of Pi
- The Avengers
- Prometheus
- Snow White and the Huntsman

Best Sound Editing:
- Argo
- Django Unchained
- Life of Pi
- Skyfall
- Zero Dark Thirty

Best Sound Mixing:
- Argo
- Les Misérables
- Life of Pi
- Lincoln
- Skyfall

Best Documentary:
- 5 Broken Cameras
- The Gatekeepers
- How to Survive a Plague
- The Invisible War
- Searching for Sugar Man

Best Documentary (Short):
- Inocente
- Kings Point
- Mondays at Racine
- Open Heart
- Redemption

Best Short Film (Animated):
- Adam and Dog
- Fresh Guacamole
- Head over Heels
- The Longest Daycare
- Paperman

Best Short Film (Live Action):
- Asad
- Buzkashi Boys
- Curfew
- Death of a Shadow
- Henry

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

It’s a difficult year for ballots, imo. Few categories where the winner is clear in advance. But here are my votes anyway:

Best Picture: Argo
There’s no title that jumps out, so Argo is the movie that’s most expected to win, solely based on Argo’s performance at the Globes and BAFTAs and a bunch of other award shows.
While I agree that it’s a good movie, it isn’t really Oscar material. But then again: what is this year? And since Hollywood likes to give the Oscar to Hollywood (see Crash and last year’s The Artist), Argo’s pretty much set. Grin
I still wonder why on earth they’re nominating 9 movies again, though. Pick a 10th to get a round number of nominees and be done with it. Skyfall, Moonrise Kingdom and The Hobbit were undoubtedly on the shortlist. Just add one of those… Tongue

Best Director: Ang Lee (Life of Pi)
Since the expected winner (Ben Affleck) isn’t even nominated, and since I don’t see them handing a statue to either Spielberg, Haneke or Zeitlin, this will go to either Ang Lee or David O. Russell. It could go either way, but my vote is for Ang Lee because he had a more difficult adaptation to make (Life of Pi was supposedly ‘unfilmable’).

Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis (Lincoln)
Hands down the best actor, bar none. I just hope that, when Meryl Streep hands him his Oscar, the amount of acting talent combined on that stage doesn’t make the entire Dolby Theatre implode upon itself… Grin

Best Actress: Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings Playbook)
It’s going to be either Jessica Chastain or Jennifer Lawrence, and the voting is likely going to be close. Both actresses deserve an Oscar, and both actresses are expected to be nominated many times again in the future. For now, my vote goes to Lawrence because winning the Oscar could undo any harm The Hunger Games did to her career (although there probably won’t be any harm: she’s no Kristen Stewart and The Hunger Games is no Twilight). It’s a toss-up, really.

Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz (Django Unchained)
Tommy Lee Jones and Phillip Seymour Hoffman could potentially win this, but I’m going for Hans Landa Christoph Waltz again. It may be a performance that’s very closely related to the one that won him the Oscar three years ago, but it was such a good performance in the first place that it deserves to win again.

Best Supporting Actress: Anne Hathaway (Les Misérables)
After being snubbed two years ago (why on earth wasn’t she nominated for Love & Other Drugs?), I’m sure she’ll win this time around.

Best Animated Feature Film: Brave
Disney will rule, so it’s either Brave or Wreck-It Ralph, but I’m confident that Pixar will take this one again.

Best Foreign Film: Amour (Austria)
This one is set in stone. All films that are simultaneously nominated for Best Foreign Film and Best Film win the Best Foreign Film Oscar. Amour wins, it’s as simple as that.

Best Original Screenplay: Django Unchained
Give Quentin his Oscar so you’re rid of him (potentially forever if he really means to retire in 2020).

Best Adapted Screenplay: Silver Linings Playbook
Tough category that could go any which way (well, maybe not Beasts of the Southern Wild’s way), but my money is on Silver Linings Playbook. I’m not playing for high stakes though (unlike in the Best Actor, Best Foreign Film and Best Original Song categories).

Best Original Score: Lincoln (John Williams)
Tough year as well, but it’s been a while since the greatest composer of all time last won an Oscar. He’s overdue for his sixth, imo.

Best Original Song: Skyfall (Skyfall)
Adele wins, and rightfully so!

Best Costume Design: Anna Karenina
All signs point to Anna Karenina, imo.

Best Makeup & Hairstyling: Les Misérables

Best Production Design: Anna Karenina

Best Cinematography: Life of Pi
Despite the fact that I absolutely LOVED the Skyfall cinematography, I’m guessing Life of Pi will take the statue. It even won at the BAFTAs, after all…

Best Film Editing: Zero Dark Thirty
Like with The Hurt Locker, this is the kind of film that has a big chance to win in this category (although I wouldn’t be surprised if Argo wins).

Best Visual Effects: Life of Pi
It managed to impress the most, so my guess is that it’ll win.

Best Sound Editing: Zero Dark Thirty

Best Sound Mixing: Les Misérables

Best Documentary: Searching for Sugar Man
This has won the biggest awards so far out of all the nominees, so imo it’s the lead candidate for the honours this Sunday.

Best Documentary (Short): Mondays at Racine
Either this or Inocente, imo. With a slight preference for Mondays at Racine.

Best Short Film (Animated): Paperman
Everybody’s probably seen The Longest Daycare (it got screened in front of Ice Age 4), but I really don’t think it’s going to win. My money’s on Paperman.

Best Short Film (Live Action): Curfew
I should be (and I am) rooting for Death of a Shadow (it’s Belgian after all), but my votes aren’t about who I want to win, but who I think will win… Innocent

Let’s hope I do better at predicting these than I did last year where I *only* got 13 out of 24 correct. Tongue
My votes are all over the place, it seems. There’s no movie that scores higher than the others. Probably why I said it’s a tough year for ballots…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Best Picture:

A month ago this was Lincoln’s, but the tide seems to be turning towards Argo, but very few movies win Best Picture without a Best Director nod.

It seems that he is getting a sympathy vote for not getting a director nod and it paints hollywood as the heroes so it may swing it.

I’m going with Argo. However watch for Lincoln it might sneak this.

Best Director:

This is a difficult one, but I think Spielberg will nab it. Life of Pi is too SFX happy.

Best Actor:
Daniel-Day Lewis by a country mile.

Best Actress:

Emmauelle Riva should win this, but I’m not sure that the academy has the balls for it.

Best Supporting Actor:
Possibly De Niro

Best Supporting Actress:

Best Animated Feature Film:
- Brave

Although it should be Frankenweenie

Best Foreign Film:
Amour (Austria). In the Best Picture category so it would be a miracle if this didn’t win.

Best Original Screenplay:
Django Unchained

Best Adapted Screenplay:
Argo

Best Original Score:
- Life of Pi (Mychael Danna)

Best Original Song:
Skyfall (Skyfall)

Best Costume Design:
- Mirror Mirror

Best Makeup & Hairstyling:
- Les Misérables

Best Cinematography:
- Life of Pi

Best Film Editing:
Argo

Best Visual Effects:
- Life of Pi

Best Sound Editing:
- Life of Pi

Best Sound Mixing:
- Les Misérables

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Well, the results are in, and very few real surprises.
Got 19 out of 24 correct (with one of those being a tie) - one of my best scores.

It’s too bad Jennifer Lawrence tripped on her dress while ascending the stairs to accept her award. She’ll be the laughing stock of the internet for the next couple of days… Frown

Still have to watch the entire show, though. I didn’t stay up to watch it from 3am to 6am on a workday… Tongue
So I can’t say if Seth MacFarlane did a good job as the host…

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

No love for the Hobbit, eh? The only movie in this whole list that I’ve seen… Grin

Well, I guess they thought “eh, we’ve already seen this - it’s so last decade to be praising LotR” Tongue

Really, that’s not me critizing though Wink I’ve not seen any of the other movies, so I don’t know how it compares. But I wouldn’t be too surprised if they were a little like that, in the sense that since the LotRs already won bazillions, now that they “did it again” it was like the buzz is over and it’s old news now and so it doesn’t really have the same effect (or alternatively they feel like LotR has already gotten enough awards)...

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

15 out of 19…not bad.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

UPtimist - 25 February 2013 10:58 AM

I’m interested though, how many people really feel like the Oscars do actually present the best movies of that year? I mean, especially in the “best movie” category.

They don’t represent the best movies of the year, since the Academy traditionally shuns all controversial and edgy movies, and most of the time nominates things that didn’t gross a lot and that didn’t even get all that much favourable reviews.
If you look at Metacritic’s top 10 of best reviewed films of 2012, only 2 of them got a ‘best picture’ nomination, and if you look at the 10 highest-grossing films of 2012, NONE of them got a ‘best picture’ nomination (although that last one is often a relief).
Looking at it from a “general public” viewpoint, The Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers should’ve been the two top contenders. Yet The Avengers only got a nomination for ‘best visual effects’ and TDKR didn’t get a single nod.

The Oscars is basically just a shallow star filled glamour fest. How else do you think I can predict 19 out of 24 awards despite having seen only a third of all movies nominated?

The only real appeal of the Oscars is its perceived importance in the movie industry, and the fact that it’s more often than not quite an entertaining show…

Or is there some sort of natural selection of only bigger productions (that’s not a good way to describe it, but surely more independent movies aren’t very represented there) in the nominations? Or probably a better word is Mainstream.

Not true at all. In fact, who went to see Les Misérables? Who went to see Beasts of the Southern Wild? Yet they have 8 and 4 nominations respectively, while films like The Hobbit, The Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers barely got nominated. The only exception is Skyfall, and that only won two minor awards (out of five noms).

As a comparison, Cannes seems to be a lot more representative of actually good movies in my opinion (and I understand that they are very different institutions and different cultures, but still there’s a really big difference between them in that the Oscars are supposed to be about the best movies, yet it doesn’t really seem to be that they correlate with each other much at all).

Cannes then often swings the other way and overly relies on edgy, arthouse type films… Tongue

Not that that’s a bad thing, but it feels aimed and an even narrower audience…

On the other hand, both are far better than for instance The MTV Movie Awards that (despite having a fun show) sees utter crap like the Twilight films take the ‘best film’ award…
Vastly different audience… Grin

Having said all that, it’s rare that I see a film with an Oscar-nod for ‘best film’ or ‘best foreign language film’, or with a ‘Palme d’Or’ nomination, that I really disliked. More often than not, they’re actually pretty good…

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

No love for the Hobbit, eh? The only movie in this whole list that I’ve seen… Grin

Don’t feel bad.  The only one I’ve seen is Frankenweenie.  Grin

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Heh, I guess it’s good to not be alone in the club, then…

TimovieMan - 25 February 2013 03:33 PM

I’m interested though, how many people really feel like the Oscars do actually present the best movies of that year? I mean, especially in the “best movie” category.

They don’t represent the best movies of the year, since the Academy traditionally shuns all controversial and edgy movies, and most of the time nominates things that didn’t gross a lot and that didn’t even get all that much favourable reviews.
If you look at Metacritic’s top 10 of best reviewed films of 2012, only 2 of them got a ‘best picture’ nomination, and if you look at the 10 highest-grossing films of 2012, NONE of them got a ‘best picture’ nomination (although that last one is often a relief).
Looking at it from a “general public” viewpoint, The Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers should’ve been the two top contenders. Yet The Avengers only got a nomination for ‘best visual effects’ and TDKR didn’t get a single nod.

The Oscars is basically just a shallow star filled glamour fest. How else do you think I can predict 19 out of 24 awards despite having seen only a third of all movies nominated?

The only real appeal of the Oscars is its perceived importance in the movie industry, and the fact that it’s more often than not quite an entertaining show…

Or is there some sort of natural selection of only bigger productions (that’s not a good way to describe it, but surely more independent movies aren’t very represented there) in the nominations? Or probably a better word is Mainstream.

Not true at all. In fact, who went to see Les Misérables? Who went to see Beasts of the Southern Wild? Yet they have 8 and 4 nominations respectively, while films like The Hobbit, The Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers barely got nominated. The only exception is Skyfall, and that only won two minor awards (out of five noms).

As a comparison, Cannes seems to be a lot more representative of actually good movies in my opinion (and I understand that they are very different institutions and different cultures, but still there’s a really big difference between them in that the Oscars are supposed to be about the best movies, yet it doesn’t really seem to be that they correlate with each other much at all).

Cannes then often swings the other way and overly relies on edgy, arthouse type films… Tongue

Not that that’s a bad thing, but it feels aimed and an even narrower audience…

On the other hand, both are far better than for instance The MTV Movie Awards that (despite having a fun show) sees utter crap like the Twilight films take the ‘best film’ award…
Vastly different audience… Grin

Having said all that, it’s rare that I see a film with an Oscar-nod for ‘best film’ or ‘best foreign language film’, or with a ‘Palme d’Or’ nomination, that I really disliked. More often than not, they’re actually pretty good…

Haha, you managed to reply before I edited that part out Tongue But that’s fine Grin

Wasn’t Les Miserables a popular movie though? I had thought it was… Well, shows what I know. As for movies like Beasts of the Southern Wild, I know it’s not 100% mainstream and certainly not such a largely seen movie, but of course I didn’t mean “mainstream” so much as “mainstream appeal”... But to be honest I only have a “feeling” of what I meant and I’m sure you said it better than me Wink

As for MTV movie awards etc., I’m sure no one has any illusion that it represents quality to anyone but fanatic teenage and pre-teen girls Laughing That’s what public vote does for you…

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

UPtimist - 26 February 2013 04:06 AM

Haha, you managed to reply before I edited that part out Tongue But that’s fine Grin

Don’t take so long to edit your posts. I had hours to reply… Tongue

Wasn’t Les Miserables a popular movie though? I had thought it was…

OK, I just checked its box office and it’s a smash hit considering it’s a musical and considering that it’s a book adaptation that’s been made dozens of times before.
Replace it with The Hurt Locker then. That won the ‘Best Film’ Oscar and grossed less than 50 million dollars worldwide (of which less than 18 million in the US).

As for MTV movie awards etc., I’m sure no one has any illusion that it represents quality to anyone but fanatic teenage and pre-teen girls Laughing That’s what public vote does for you…

That’s why you should only watch the MTV Movie Award ceremony for the parodies and for Jim Carrey’s acceptance speeches (they’re a hoot every time). Grin

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Indeed Smile Although unfortunately even the movie parodies have went a little down in recent years Tongue I’m not sure when I’ve last seen them though, maybe they haven’t shown them here recently. Then again, I haven’t seen MTV in ages since they stopped showing music…

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

UPtimist - 26 February 2013 03:02 PM

Indeed Smile Although unfortunately even the movie parodies have went a little down in recent years Tongue I’m not sure when I’ve last seen them though, maybe they haven’t shown them here recently. Then again, I haven’t seen MTV in ages since they stopped showing music…

I know, same here. Haven’t seen the show in years except for bits and pieces on YouTube.
Haven’t watched MTV in years either, and where they used to air the Movie Awards, now they air Nickelodeon for half the day, which presumably makes me miss the Movie Awards timeslot… Tongue

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Just finished (finally!) watching the entire show. Pretty fun show - MacFarlane did well. Most of the time funny and edgy, and considering it’s MacFarlane, only one joke was too crass (not to mention totally bollocks) and should’ve been scrapped (the Rex Reed - Adele remark).
People booing the John Wilkes Booth joke need a sense of humour.
And the Von Trapp Family Singers had me in stitches. Really, that one made me laugh so loud it’s a miracle the neighbours didn’t bang on the walls… Grin

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sunday night is Oscar night, so it’s time to fill out those ballots.

The nominees this year are:

Best Motion Picture of the Year:
- American Hustle
- Captain Phillips
- Dallas Buyers Club
- Gravity
- Her
- Nebraska
- Philomena
- 12 Years a Slave
- The Wolf of Wall Street

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role:
- Christian Bale - American Hustle
- Bruce Dern - Nebraska
- Leonardo DiCaprio - The Wolf of Wall Street
- Chiwetel Ejiofor - 12 Years a Slave
- Matthew McConaughey - Dallas Buyers Club

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role:
- Amy Adams - American Hustle
- Cate Blanchett - Blue Jasmine
- Sandra Bullock - Gravity
- Judi Dench - Philomena
- Meryl Streep - August: Osage County

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role:
- Barkhad Abdi - Captain Phillips
- Bradley Cooper - American Hustle
- Jonah Hill - The Wolf of Wall Street
- Michael Fassbender - 12 Years a Slave
- Jared Leto - Dallas Buyers Club

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role:
- Sally Hawkins - Blue Jasmine
- Julia Roberts - August: Osage County
- Lupita Nyong’o - 12 Years a Slave
- Jennifer Lawrence - American Hustle
- June Squibb - Nebraska

Best Achievement in Directing:
- Alfonso Cuarón - Gravity
- Steve McQueen - 12 Years a Slave
- David O. Russell - American Hustle
- Martin Scorsese - The Wolf of Wall Street
- Alexander Payne - Nebraska

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen:
- American Hustle
- Blue Jasmine
- Her
- Nebraska
- Dallas Buyers Club

Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published:
- Before Midnight
- Captain Phillips
- 12 Years a Slave
- The Wolf of Wall Street
- Philomena

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year:
- The Croods
- Despicable Me 2
- Ernest et Célestine
- Frozen
- Kaze tachinu

Best Foreign Language Film of the Year:
- The Broken Circle Breakdown (Belgium)
- L’image manquante (Cambodia)
- Jagten (Denmark)
- La grande bellezza (Italy)
- Omar (Palestine)

Best Achievement in Cinematography:
- Gravity
- Inside Llewyn Davis
- Nebraska
- Prisoners
- Yi dai zong shi

Best Achievement in Editing:
- 12 Years a Slave
- American Hustle
- Gravity
- Captain Phillips
- Dallas Buyers Club

Best Achievement in Production Design:
- 12 Years a Slave
- American Hustle
- Gravity
- The Great Gatsby
- Her

Best Achievement in Costume Design:
- American Hustle
- The Great Gatsby
- 12 Years a Slave
- Yi dai zong shi
- The Invisible Woman

Best Achievement in Makeup and Hairstyling:
- Dallas Buyers Club
- Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa
- The Lone Ranger

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score:
- The Book Thief - John Williams
- Gravity - Steven Price
- Her - William Butler, Andy Koyama
- Saving Mr. Banks - Thomas Newman
- Philomena - Alexandre Desplat

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song:
- Despicable Me 2 - Pharrell Williams (“Happy”)
- Frozen - Kristen Anderson-Lopez, Robert Lopez (“Let It Go”)
- Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom - U2 (“Ordinary Love”)
- Her - Karen O (“The Moon Song”)

Best Achievement in Sound Mixing:
- Gravity
- The Hobbit
- Captain Phillips
- Inside Llewyn Davis
- Lone Survivor

Best Achievement in Sound Editing:
- All Is Lost
- Captain Phillips
- Gravity
- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
- Lone Survivor

Best Achievement in Visual Effects:
- Gravity
- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
- Iron Man 3
- The Lone Ranger
- Star Trek Into Darkness

Best Documentary, Feature:
- The Act of Killing
- Cutie and the Boxer
- Dirty Wars
- Al midan
- 20 Feet from Stardom

Best Documentary, Short Subject:
- Cavedigger
- Facing Fear
- Karama Has No Walls
- The Lady In Number 6
- Prison Terminal: The Last Days of Private Jack Hall

Best Short Film, Animated:
- Feral
- Get a Horse!
- Mr Hublot
- Tsukumo
- Room on the Broom

Best Short Film, Live Action:
- Aquel no era yo
- Avant que de tout perdre
- Helium
- Pitääkö mun kaikki hoitaa?
- The Voorman Problem

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Best Motion Picture of the Year:

Gravity is best film i’ve seen this year, but it’s too action flick for oscar.

12 Years a Slave seems like the PC winner.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role:

I think this is a no brainer. MM has had a great year with this. Wolf of Wall Street and True Detective. Should round it off with an Oscar.

Matthew McConaughey - Dallas Buyers Club

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role:

Actually not sure about this one. Amy Adams was kind of over shadowed by Lawrence, Gravity wasn’t an actors film, but you can’t write off Dench or Streep as old favourites.

Concensus seems to favour Cate Blanchett.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role:

Should be Jared Leto, but will he be recognised for it. Jordan Catalano grew up weird. Smile

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role:

Probably between Lawrence and Nyong’o. Lawrence won it last year so my guess would be Nyong’o.

Best Achievement in Directing:

Should be Cuaron as Gravity was amazing.

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen:

Could be any of them. Would like it to be Her as that was an interesting movie, but it will probably be American Hustle.

Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published:

Between 12 years and Wolf of Wall Street.

Gonna go with 12 Years a Slave.

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year:

What no Pixar movie ??

Probably Frozen

Best Foreign Language Film of the Year:

This one
- La grande bellezza (Italy)

Best Achievement in Cinematography:

No brainer, it should be Gravity.

Best Achievement in Editing:

- Gravity

Best Achievement in Production Design:

The Great Gatsby period sets looked great.

Best Achievement in Costume Design:

American Hustle period stuff was awfully bad, but Gatsby looked better.

- The Great Gatsby

Best Achievement in Makeup and Hairstyling:

Out of those three only one is Oscar material

- Dallas Buyers Club

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score
:

*Shrug*
- Saving Mr. Banks - Thomas Newman

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song:

- Frozen - Kristen Anderson-Lopez, Robert Lopez (“Let It Go”)

Best Achievement in Sound Mixing:

- Gravity

Best Achievement in Sound Editing:

- Gravity

Best Achievement in Visual Effects:

By far the easiest of the categories. Gravity will and should win this by a landslide.
- Gravity

Best Documentary, Feature:

Really creepy and violent documentary.

- The Act of Killing

Best Documentary, Short Subject:

- The Lady In Number 6

Best Short Film, Animated:

- Get a Horse!

Best Short Film, Live Action:

- Helium

Gravity will win all the technical prizes but Best Director will probably be the only big prize.

12 years a slave and Dallas Buyers Club should be the other big winners.

Roberta Williams

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Yay, there’s that one Finnish film in the last category Tongue

I wonder, if there’s a usual type of “here are the nominees” moment. I mean if so, I’m fascinated to hear how they pronounce the title.

Well, once again, I’ve only seen The Hobbit of all these movies Grin Also, I wonder why certain categories have less candidates, even though there obviously could be more? Like, original song and hairstyling & make-up (I don’t see why for example The Hobbit wouldn’t be nominated for either…)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top