• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieDalefurgottenIronCretinJdawg445kanaifurtrooneywalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #62 - Lighthouse: The Dark Being

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’ve only played for a few minutes and reached the lighthouse. And already a few things bugged me…

In our journal we wrote that there’s a lighthouse “only a mile or two down the road”, except that we can clearly see the lighthouse just outside our window, only 200 meters or so away. And “it’s far enough away so the light isn’t a distraction” except that it lights up our entire living room every 8 seconds…
Also, the house we live in is situated quite a bit higher up than the lighthouse, probably making it a better lighthouse location than the actual lighthouse…

These little things get to me… Crazy

Dear God, I’m becoming a grumpy old man like my dad… Gasp

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

You’re a young movieman but definitely grumpy today. Grin It did make me laugh when I peeled out in a car that looks like the one my mom used to drive.

That safe puzzle was a pain in the patootie, mainly because I had to do it twice.  After the first time, my game froze on me when I went out in the hall.  I think it had something to do with a screenshot I had taken earlier which superimposed my regular black cursor on top of the game cursor.  Anyway, I had to quit without saving, which meant a redo. 

I do have a suggestion for opening the safe that worked for me.  Because some of the numbers are hard to read and the dial moves fast, I maped the position of the center rectangle when it’s on each number and then watched the rectangle instead of the numbers.  After doing it that way, it took me only 2 tries to get it right. 

Also, like a real combination lock, don’t forget to clear it with a clockwise rotation around the dial.

Regarding the puzzle box, if you get to the jumbled picture and your heart sinks, you can trigger an automatic skip button by opening that side of the box and stepping away.  Do this 4 times and the button will appear.  I think you get the image from one of the journal pages later on in the game, but even having it in my old notes, it’s a difficult one to do. When you get to the light gray disk, that’s all you can do with the box.

One more thing that is easy to overlook.  After restoring power, take one of the extra green glass lights out of the small box in the lab.  It may come in handy later.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Installed and played a little. I’m currently in the Lighthouse just exploring. I do have a general question. I know some Sierra games(especially the older ones) can have a dead end - i.e. a point in the game where you can’t proceed further because you missed something or misused an inventory item. Is this one of those games or we don’t have to worry about that?

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I haven’t encountered any dead ends in the game, but since there are many branching paths along the way, I suppose it’s possible.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lady Kestrel - 26 September 2020 11:03 PM

You’re a young movieman but definitely grumpy today. Grin It did make me laugh when I peeled out in a car that looks like the one my mom used to drive.

I just have an intense dislike for things that pull me out of the story even before we’ve seen the title screen. I know it’s nitpicky, but I like my games to be consistent. Smile

It’s not stopping me from playing further… Wink

And I do like that you can see lightning hit the lighthouse from your window, and then have the tower engulfed in what looks like St. Elmo’s fire - just like described in the journal. That‘s consistent, which is a good thing. Cool

Lady Kestrel - 27 September 2020 01:15 AM

I haven’t encountered any dead ends in the game, but since there are many branching paths along the way, I suppose it’s possible.

I’ve read that you could end up in an unwinnable state if you don’t take certain items from your house in the very beginning. Mainly the lighter and the umbrella.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Hi!

I managed to enter the lab. Once I get to the beach I will write my impressions of the game so far, but I have a doubt that it’s killing me.

What is the logic behind the fishes puzzle of the box? I really don’t get it.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Without giving too much away, there are alternate ways to get back to the lighthouse and your home, if necessary.  It could be a long path, but there are several modes of transportation available.

By the way, after looking at my notes from the last time I played the game, I realized that I had missed picking up some of Dr. Frick’s notes from the rolltop desk.  You can’t see them in the closeup view but have to pick them up just after you open the desk’s tambour.  There’s an image on one of the sheets that may help with a certain puzzle I mentioned earlier, and they add some interesting info to the story.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Walas,
Pressing a certain color opens the bottom fish and another color opens the top one.  If you need more details, let me know.  If you don’t get a response, just back away from the box to reset and try again.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Lady Kestrel - 27 September 2020 12:14 PM

Walas,
Pressing a certain color opens the bottom fish and another color opens the top one.  If you need more details, let me know.  If you don’t get a response, just back away from the box to reset and try again.

Lady K, I already solved the puzzle, but I had to look up the solution. And even checking on several walkthroughs, I still don’t understand why I have to press those buttons of those colors in particular. They say it has something to do with the Playstation buttons shown earlier, but I can’t see the relation.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Ah, I don’t think there’s any particular logic there.  Like real puzzle boxes, you just have to fiddle with it.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m curious about a few things. I had no trouble with the safe. Did it on the first attempt. But I think I first heard Amanda crying when I was working the safe, and didn’t go find her. By the time I got to the bedroom she was already gone. So I guess by default I’m forced to build the portal in the lab. I have not entered the lab BTW. I’m guessing the clue to the keypad is in the papers. I dread going through those looking for the solution.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

As I mentioned in my very first post, the kerfuffle you missed in the bedroom led to a path I didn’t want you to take during this playthrough.  You are on the right track, but don’t ignore those journal papers.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lady Kestrel - 27 September 2020 03:36 PM

As I mentioned in my very first post, the kerfuffle you missed in the bedroom led to a path I didn’t want you to take during this playthrough.  You are on the right track, but don’t ignore those journal papers.

Since I just witnessed that scene, I’m actually curious what path that leads to.

Without your instructions, I’m certain I would’ve gone through that portal. After saving my game, of course. Tongue

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I solved two parts of the puzzle box. I did do the “cheat” on the bird part. Although I can’t consider it a cheat if the designers put it in there. After I thought about it though there is something I should have done. I have the picture of the finished puzzle in the journal. I could have used that to assign numbers to the 25 tiles. For reasons unknown numerical slider puzzles of this type are easier for me to solve than their graphic counterparts.

I made it into the lab, and have done everything I can think of to do. Replaced and soldered the wire in the module next to the big computer. Used the big computer to raise the lighthouse mechanism. Replaced the tube in the mechanism. But I can’t find a way to get rid of the “Retry” screen on the small computer. It’s got to be something simple that I’m missing.

Side note: For any of you asking why I’m not breezing through Lighthouse, I have played it several times. (At least two while editing the walkthrough.) And while I championed this game, to the chagrin of many, I’m sure, it has still been close to twenty years since I last played it. And, I’m trying my best not to use the walkthrough. Just trying to play it like everyone else ... asking the group for assistance. Plus, I’m really enjoying playing this game again after all these years. Great job of setting it up Lady K.  Thumbs Up

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

TimovieMan - 27 September 2020 06:34 AM

I’ve read that you could end up in an unwinnable state if you don’t take certain items from your house in the very beginning. Mainly the lighter and the umbrella.

I would have to go back and play this again, but I don’t think you can leave the house without those two items. Like Lady K, I never found any dead ends. That’s not to say there isn’t one.

When we did the Shivers playthrough, I mentioned a dead end I ran into when the game came out. Nobody, including me, ran into the same problem. Because of the randomness of the various objects, I’m not sure I could even recreate the situation that resulted in the dead end. Just guessing that it was something like a 10K-to-1 longshot that the player would have that particular pot piece in that particular location when that specific Ixupi chose to inhabit that exact location.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top