• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieLady Kestrelwalas74zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Platformer games

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2020-03-10

PM

Do you think platformer games are already the last century or do such games have a future? Do you know modern games of this genre?
I like these games because it reminds me of past games. There it was important not the quality of the graphics, but the exciting plot.
I especially liked the games about famous superheroes.

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

I love platformer games! 

They are definitely still being made.  Remember when Sonic Mania came out in middle of 2010s?  It was much more fun, and even sold better than most sonic games that left the traditional platformer genre.

Even with classics like Mario, they now have two concurrent mario game lines.

The first called New Super Mario bros (on wii, ds, 3ds, and wiiu) has at least 4 or 5 games in the series, and is just a good 2d side scroller, whereas compared to the 3d mario line of games, they are more complicated, and have different objectives sometimes.  Games like Mario Odyssey, and Mario galaxy are like this, and they focusing on trying new things and having fun in new ways.  Lastly I remembered there was a bit of cross over with these two styles in the mario 3d world and mario 3d land games.  Emphasis on multiplayer and platforming, but also some 3d effects and depth to levels. 

I strongly recommend puzzle platformers because they are my favorite: like limbo and inside, where yes sometimes it is about skill, but usually it is about solving the puzzle in combination with jumping that will help you beat levels. 
My favorite puzzle platformer on wii would have to be probably a boy and his blob.  It is not a lot like the original, I mean you solve puzzles by feeding a shape-shift blob beans, that part is the same, but this has really challenging platformer parts in between. 

One platformer that didn’t get a lot of love, and I want to recommend it now is:  Chibi Robo Zip Lash!

It stars chibi robo, and instead of being a 3d adventure type of game, this is a 2d platformer game.  The game revolves around the mechanic of throwing your whip or zip (electrical cable) to swing, push switches, climb walls, and even sometimes make accuracy throws to take out enemies.

If you are more into platformers like Megaman and Metroid, then I recommend Shantae 1/2 genie hero, and I recommend Shovel knight!  These games are on multi platforms, but I play on wii u mostly.  They are both fun in a metroid kind of way where yes there is precision platforming, and weapons upgrades, and movement upgrades etc, but sometimes you will have to explore and backtrack to a place you could not previously visit until you got a new power up.  Shovel knight I think has 3 or 4 characters you can play the whole game as!  Shovel kinght, plague knight, and spectre knight are fun and worth it.  King knight is funny, but probably not worth a full playthrough again.  Also there are other shantae games, all of which are pretty good.

EDIT:  I can’t believe I forgot about Klonoa.  If you don’t mind going back a few console generations, then you can’t beat Klonoa when it comes to puzzle platformers. Did you know there are two separate games called Klonoa 2?  There is one on ps2, and one on GBA, and they are not related really.

If you want something more retro than even that, be sure to let me know.  I’ve not yet tried that rocket game on genesis, or even alisia dragoon.

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Shovel Knight was amazing, it’s great to see how a kickstarter also led to such a nice company with great games and focus on it’s players.

Did you play Hollow Knight? Really well done as well, great music, environments feel very dynamic and overal tight controls. It’s one I’ve certainly enjoyed a lot!

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

I went to my friends house to play DND once, we were waiting for his kids to fall asleep and I walked up and played a few lives of Hollow knight, but it was really hard for me.  Beautiful side-scroller but cheeznrice I died a lot. (like a lot a lot)  I think walking into the middle of the game and trying to pick it up was my mistake.

Are shovel knight and hollow knight related other than being 2d platformers?  They both remind me of Megaman in terms of challenge and control.

Oh speaking of shovel knight, when you beat it, there’s this awesome like smash bros type of fighting mode where you can play as most of the knights including polar knight, propeller knight etc.  I’ve never gotten to play that part yet.  I tried playing the 2-player co-op part once, and nearly broke my TV because it is so maddening.  Basically if either of you fall, you can both get sent back a screen.

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

Grab a friend and play Trine 1-4, it’s a blast.

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

SpeedBo - 18 March 2020 12:03 PM

Grab a friend and play Trine 1-4, it’s a blast.

I think I bought these on sale, and then they just sat on a harddrive for years.  I didn’t know it was like a couch co-op type of platformer.  Sounds rad!  I can’t wait to boot it up.  I’m headed to a mate’s house this evening.  I’ll give it a shot.

Owlboy doesn’t always play like a platformer, but I definitely recommend that, even though it’s too hard in my opinion.

And if you were ever a fan of classic sonic, then I recommend Freedom planet on pc.  I love the different powers and routes in freedom planet.  It feels like a sonic game where replaying as knuckles or tails forces you to think about what new places you can reach, and other routes you must take.

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

Celebreon - 21 March 2020 03:30 PM

I think I bought these on sale, and then they just sat on a harddrive for years.  I didn’t know it was like a couch co-op type of platformer.  Sounds rad!  I can’t wait to boot it up.  I’m headed to a mate’s house this evening.  I’ll give it a shot.

My favorite one is the second in the series. It was made from the start to be co-op, the first one added that in later. It does have a story that carries over, but it doesn’t make any difference, so it wouldn’t matter which one you start with.

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

I don’t mind platformers, every once in a while, but there’s a big variation in the genre. Preferably I will prefer to play something relatively relaxing and puzzle-based, like the Trine series. I’m not really a fan of a lot of the other games coming out recently. I tried Hollow Knight and hated it. I died about 20 times after the first checkpoint - not my idea of fun. The other style I like is the cinematic style - Another World, Inside, Limbo, etc. Some others I liked were the newer Rayman games, the Oddworld remake and Yoku’s Island Express—>> (this one is really great).

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2018-01-10

PM

I play platformers rarely, maybe one a year at most. I don’t like most of them. The two Ori games are exactly what I look for, the perfect balance between exploration, jumping, puzzling, choosing skills and upgrades and a bit of combat. Visually stunning too.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Grue22 - 04 April 2020 03:21 AM

I play platformers rarely, maybe one a year at most. I don’t like most of them. The two Ori games are exactly what I look for, the perfect balance between exploration, jumping, puzzling, choosing skills and upgrades and a bit of combat. Visually stunning too.

Sounds to me like your intro metroidvania type of games. Tons of those games out there.

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

I had brought up Shantae on wii U (1/2 genie hero) before when talking about metroidvania, but I recently started playing the 3DS game.  This one is a lot closer to metroid.  Shantae gets a gun to compliment her hair attack, she has no magic or dances in this one.  It’s good but not my favorite in the series.

A definitely for you puzzle platformers out there, try klonoa.  Any klonoa.
They are that good.

Oh by the way, if you are in to “cinematic puzzle platformers” your out of this world or your oddworld, then at least try blackthorne.  I played it on GBA and loved it, but I think blizzard gives it away on their site or something now.  Blackthorne is a little more fair than another world or oddworld in my opinion.

Joined 2018-01-10

PM

Celebreon - 03 May 2020 08:41 AM

I had brought up Shantae on wii U (1/2 genie hero) before when talking about metroidvania, but I recently started playing the 3DS game.  This one is a lot closer to metroid.  Shantae gets a gun to compliment her hair attack, she has no magic or dances in this one.  It’s good but not my favorite in the series.

A definitely for you puzzle platformers out there, try klonoa.  Any klonoa.
They are that good.

Oh by the way, if you are in to “cinematic puzzle platformers” your out of this world or your oddworld, then at least try blackthorne.  I played it on GBA and loved it, but I think blizzard gives it away on their site or something now.  Blackthorne is a little more fair than another world or oddworld in my opinion.

Oh yeah, I played Blackthorne back in the day, not on GBA though. Loved it.

I wouldn’t say I’m “into” metroidvanias. I gave both metroid and castlevania a go (several actually, in various incarnations) and couldn’t see what was so amazing about them. And I don’t like being bound by genres. I’ll play anything if it’s good, not because it has certain gameplay elements.

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Grue22 - 07 May 2020 08:04 AM

Oh yeah, I played Blackthorne back in the day, not on GBA though. Loved it.

I wouldn’t say I’m “into” metroidvanias. I gave both metroid and castlevania a go (several actually, in various incarnations) and couldn’t see what was so amazing about them. And I don’t like being bound by genres. I’ll play anything if it’s good, not because it has certain gameplay elements.

I won’t go on to much, but Metroid 1 and 2 are kind of hard to play.

Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Metroid 0 mission, and AM2R (Another Metroid 2 Remake)
I would say those are the essentials in the Metroid franchise.

I am not good at action games at all, but I played these every single night before bed for months until I beat every 2d metroid because they are really that good.
They have the beautiful game design philosophy that you will encounter a place you can’t reach or cross, and later you will find the power up that you need to reach new areas.  In this way (combined with the copious hidden powerups) they are easy to play with no walkthrough.  The design just leads you through the game on it’s own without dialogue (‘cept fusion) or game-like sign posts.

The first 2 do not have maps in the game, and that’s why I can’t really recommend them.  Having to make or check a map kind of takes you out of the game.

Same with castlevania for me, while I think the first 3 are respectable classics, really you only need to introduce yourself with
super castlevania IV
Rondo of Blood
Symphony of the Night
(maybe circle of the moon or Dawn/aria of sorrow depending on how much you liked SotN)

The first 2 on my list are just platformers with branching paths and great gameplay.

The others all follow the metroid formula.

Contrasting these against mario or megaman where you mostly run to the right, there is more going on in these games, but also still action packed more than some puzzle-platformers.

Joined 2018-01-10

PM

Yeah, I can see why that kind of game would be considered fresh and innovative back in the day. I always found Mario incredibly boring whenever I tried one of its incarnations.

These days, it’s nothing new. I’d say most of them have backtracking and upgrades. And if I’m going to play one, I’d rather it looked pretty and had good music (like the newer platformers do), so if I’m going back to the 80s to check out a title… well, it would have to be pretty special.

(And I wouldn’t blame someone for disagreeing with me here - when people trash retro adventure games for being outdated I can get upset)

Now that I think about it, I did watch a friend play a Castlevania game on N64 once. It was pretty fun, although I think looking at castle interiors would get old after a few hours.

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Okay well the n64 castlevania is generally regarded as one of the worst in the franchise, but I honestly have a lot of fun with it too.

Also the music in castelvania!
Vampire Killer
Bloody Tears
Simon’s theme

goodness, I think these rock so hard for 8-bit/16-bit tunes.
Castlevania is up there with Megaman when it comes to music.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top