• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Jdawg445 - 26 November 2020 10:34 AM

yes sorry, meant lost horizon. That is good to hear, I think I will pick it up. But the puzzle involving getting flies, to attract a bat, to get a wallet. was very out of place in this type of game That is why I was asking does the puzzles get some better. Although the other two or three main puzzles in the first chapter all made sense at least in the vain of an indiana jones game.

I gave it 4/5. It was exactly what I call “an adventure” adventure game with the globetrotting and saving the world, and I quite liked the approach with the vastly different chapters. Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

TimovieMan - 26 November 2020 03:04 PM
Jdawg445 - 26 November 2020 10:34 AM

yes sorry, meant lost horizon. That is good to hear, I think I will pick it up. But the puzzle involving getting flies, to attract a bat, to get a wallet. was very out of place in this type of game That is why I was asking does the puzzles get some better. Although the other two or three main puzzles in the first chapter all made sense at least in the vain of an indiana jones game.

I gave it 4/5. It was exactly what I call “an adventure” adventure game with the globetrotting and saving the world, and I quite liked the approach with the vastly different chapters. Smile

I decided to give the game a shot for $2.50. So far it has been really fun, the game is far from perfect but it has kept me very entertained so far. Good characters, decent puzzles, and beautiful background art. Story is slightly above avg as well. Game seems pretty long as well

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Jdawg445 - 27 November 2020 02:43 AM

I decided to give the game a shot for $2.50. So far it has been really fun, the game is far from perfect but it has kept me very entertained so far. Good characters, decent puzzles, and beautiful background art. Story is slightly above avg as well. Game seems pretty long as well

My favourite chapter was with the Olympics. You enter a locker room looking absurdly dressed and saying “I can explain this”, and then you play the “how we got here” section that lead up to that moment. Loved it, even if it contained some of the worst moon logic puzzles in the game. Smile

And Hong Kong looked absolutely gorgeous. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

TimovieMan - 27 November 2020 06:20 PM
Jdawg445 - 27 November 2020 02:43 AM

My favourite chapter was with the Olympics. You enter a locker room looking absurdly dressed and saying “I can explain this”, and then you play the “how we got here” section that lead up to that moment. Loved it, even if it contained some of the worst moon logic puzzles in the game. Smile

And Hong Kong looked absolutely gorgeous. Cool

I just finished chapter 3 and besides the crazy puzzles of chapter 1, I found chapter 2 and 3 puzzles to be far better. So far I have liked all the different places we have went to. the background art is amazing in this game, I do wish the character models were a little better though. Fenton is extremely likeable and the rest of the cast all do well too. This plot though is the same as uncharted 2, like almost beat for beat to an extent lol.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Im just starting the last chapter, I really am loving this game, it def is a hidden gem to me. The game gives you a lot of inventory items, like a crap load lol, but there are so few screens that it never becomes too hard. That is my biggest complaint, the background art is amazing, I just wish there were far more screens. After chapter 2, everything is really condensed and moves far quicker. I was worried that the maze in chapter 5 would suck but even that was not bad. The story is becoming more interesting as well. The game is not perfect but eaisly an 8.5/10 for me so far.

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2020-12-03

PM

There Is No Game : Wrong Dimension - 5/5
Hands down the best Point and click of 2020, Indie developers ftw!

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2018-01-09

PM

I finished Transient not too long ago.  My impression is similar to other games from Zoetrope, or Stormling, or whatever they’re calling themselves now.  Which is that I loved it and it had a great atmosphere and Lovecraft inspired story, but then it suddenly ends with little resolution leaving me wishing it was a longer game.  Although at this point that is the expected pattern from this developer.  You kind of have to cut them some slack though considering that fact that this is a game studio that is essentially just 2 people.  If you think about it with that in mind, their short games are actually very impressive.

The site review mentioned that the game includes 2 mini games-within-the-game that are Resident Evil-like and Doom-like.  That is wrong.  They are obvious homages to Alone in the Dark and System Shock respectively (almost exact copies in fact).  Which I definitely did not expect. 

Overall this is probably my least favorite Zeotrope game.  My favorite is probably still the original Loath Nolder (it creeped me out quite a bit).  I was never able to finish Loath Nolder 2 due to some game breaking bugs (I probably could have gotten past them if I restarted my game, but I figured it wasn’t worth it).  I thought Conarium was pretty good as well, although there is at least one puzzle that I still don’t understand the solution to at all.  This is the problem with people not making text walkthroughs for adventure games anymore.  You can watch a video walkthrough of someone solving a puzzle, but there is no explanation about how you were supposed to know to do that.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I just finished The bonus episode of Ace Attorney Dual Destinies. I found it very funny and quite different from the normal case. Well worth playing, on the 3DS or IOS, this game made a great transition to the IPAD to me, before this I played them on the DS and I found the graphics to be much improved.

I am next going to play Cloudpunk which I have heard good things about and of course, Spirit of Justice.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 42

Joined 2019-07-06

PM

LittleRose - 22 November 2020 04:37 PM

Hand of Glory. That cliffhanger was mean, but fortunately the last part is going to be released in 12 days, so I won’t have to wait too long to find out what happens next.

The wait is over: Part 2 is available!

Just update, start a new game, select Part 2 and you’ll be able to play it Wink !

The Hand of Glory is out!
Currently developing Roots in the Sky - The Hand of Glory 2!

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Just finished The Displacement, Jonathan Boakes first and previously unreleased game that was included as a bonus when buying the latest Dark Fall game. Not too bad, but not nearly up to the standard of his later games. I was always curious about this one and it does have an embryo of the Dark Fall feel. Not scary at all though. Only took me a few hours to get through, some of it trying to find tiny hotspots and solving some pretty boring word puzzles. But OK. Glad I finally got the chance to play it.

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2018-01-09

PM

I finished Truberbrook.

Interesting story concept and at least some funny writing, but the delivery of the voice actors left a lot to be desired.  The game comes off as kind of slow and dull.  It’s not a very big game in terms of locations, but that’s kind of to be expected since all of the backgrounds were actual handmade miniatures.  I remember I backed another “handmade adventure game” called Harold Halibut a while back, but its kickstarter failed and then in kind of disappeared into nothing. 

One major problem with this game is the “moon logic” of its puzzles.  There is often no indication of what you are supposed to do.  If you don’t look at an item before picking it up it is usually impossible to hear any description of what the item is after it’s in your inventory.  Some particularly grievous examples were:
1. A puzzle where you use a can opener on a suit of armor.  Your character unexpectedly simply throws the can opener at the suit of armor which shatters it into pieces.  You then have to wear the metal suit of armor (get this) as protection so you don’t get electrocuted when handling live power lines.  WHAT?!
2. Apparently in the logic of this game 2 rubber boots + 2 metal trash can lids = I CAN WALK ON WATER!!
3. At one point you have to ask someone for a lighter to solve a puzzle.  But your character was previously smoking in several scenes.  So doesn’t he obviously already have one?  Is this like the Mystery of Druids where you have to poison a homeless man to steal his loose change to make a call at a pay phone?  See 13:53:

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

Not sure I can agree on the puzzles being too moon-logic-y.
“Can opener” on armor makes sense (and the animation clearly is just a joke); it’s a traditional military “pun” sort of thing (similar to using a red herring as a distraction or somesuch).
And a metal armor would (not entirely realistically but in a comic-game world) work like a Faraday cage, so that too makes some sense. Electricity goes the path of least resistance which would be the metal armor instead of the human body (seriously don’t try this at home ^^).

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

What is moon-logic and how did that term originate?

Total Posts: 260

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

Origami - 07 December 2020 04:18 PM

What is moon-logic and how did that term originate?

PUR explains it quite well.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

The biggest problem with Trüberbrook is not any single puzzle, but the fact that things in the game are completely disconnected.

Like the second (or was it third?) act doesn’t make any sense at all. And even if you somehow try to come up with some kind of story in your own mind that motivates the events there, you could in any case just cut that part out of the game, and nothing would be very different in the bigger picture.

And that prologue… completely disconnected, and you don’t even play as the protagonist there! I may be wrong, but I’m under the impression that the prologue was some kind of stretch goal for the Kickstarter, and it really shows.

The final confrontation in the end is just bad, and the only rewarding thing about it is that it ends - eventually, if the player keeps playing that far.

What is good in Trüberbrook is the graphical style, obviously, and a very good basic premise which is unfortunately mostly wasted. Most places in the game are nice to explore, even the ones that don’t work as an adventure. And the game has a title sequence in the beginning that is one of the best ever seen in adventure games.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top