• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanchrissieKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Games that got Great Reviews and Awards that you think are way overrated

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Jdawg445 - 10 March 2021 10:07 PM

Cons
-it sucks a fat one
-dialogue sounds like it was written by Google translate
-characters were bland and unlikeable
-voice acting is atrocious
-puzzles were not good in the first chapter

Pros
-the game crashed on me and ended the suffering

lmao

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

mattaukamp - 11 March 2021 01:03 PM

YES! I did that with Runaway A Road Adventure!! I played it right when it came out and I saw it on the shelf at my local video game store. I was like “OH MY GOD A NEW POINT AND CLICK ADVENTURE!” and I was determined to love it no matter what.

I played it again last year and YEEEEEEESH. I’m playing the sequel right now and I honestly think it’s one of the worst PnC games I’ve ever played in my life.  Meh

its well known that Runaway2 is the worst of the series, just don’t miss out on the 3rd : A twist of Fate.

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

PlanetX - 11 March 2021 04:27 PM
Jdawg445 - 10 March 2021 10:07 PM

Cons
-it sucks a fat one
-dialogue sounds like it was written by Google translate
-characters were bland and unlikeable
-voice acting is atrocious
-puzzles were not good in the first chapter

Pros
-the game crashed on me and ended the suffering

lmao

Game itself 2/10

Game Crashing 9/10 would be a 10/10 if it happened sooner

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Advie - 11 March 2021 05:13 PM
mattaukamp - 11 March 2021 01:03 PM

YES! I did that with Runaway A Road Adventure!! I played it right when it came out and I saw it on the shelf at my local video game store. I was like “OH MY GOD A NEW POINT AND CLICK ADVENTURE!” and I was determined to love it no matter what.

I played it again last year and YEEEEEEESH. I’m playing the sequel right now and I honestly think it’s one of the worst PnC games I’ve ever played in my life.  Meh

its well known that Runaway2 is the worst of the series, just don’t miss out on the 3rd : A twist of Fate.

That’s right! Although I wouldn’t say Runaway 2 is one of the worst adventure games I’ve ever played.

Then again, as someone pointed before, maybe the sense of humour or character’s behaviour or even translation can make people out of Spain or Latinoamerica don’t quite understand it.

I haven’t played A New Beginning yet, but all this discord made feel like playing it, so I will probably give it a try soon so I can opine too.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 837

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Doom - 11 March 2021 01:38 PM

Seems to me this whole argument is about tastes. Be it Daedelic, or Pendulo, or some other European/Asian developer who produces games (you can insert “movies”, or “music”, or whatever else instead) a bit different from the Americans, and it turns into a love/hate debate. And, indeed, German humour is very specific and doesn’t translate well - yet well enough to gain a cult following, while Spanish guys at Pendulo brought back colorful 2D point-n-click adventures with insane logic. I enjoyed the Runaway series, with the 3rd game being my favourite. And Benoit Sokal did something else to the French market - personally I always found him to be a lousy game designer, but he is still beloved by many.

As for A New Beginning, I played a demo or a journalist version of the game back in the day, got bored quickly and switched to something else. But I had played Edna & Harvey before and loved it. Daedalic was a great company with a huge catalogue of varying quality developed by different people, there’s nothing wrong about enjoing some games and not enjoying others. I just disagree that the company “followed some pattern” - they just tried to produce classic adventure games the German way.

There are certainly some problems with the game that could be caused by the translation. Not just culturally, but by poor programming of the translated version. Perhaps the native language versions didn’t have all the typos and miscued subtitles and overlapping speech.
The uneven art design, uneven animation, and nonsensical plot devices to set up puzzles and other plot devices (in a game striving for realism and emotional impact, all of these lapses in logic, decency, and common sense go a long way in the opposite direction)—these are not the victims of translation; they’re the victims of bad writing and design.

Anyway, I’m going to shut up for a while on all this until I’ve made a lot more progress in the game.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

walas74 - 11 March 2021 06:16 PM

I haven’t played A New Beginning yet, but all this discord made feel like playing it, so I will probably give it a try soon so I can opine too.

here is the thing, it is not bad, it just not the best, or let me say like this, it would never be a priority to replay.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I played A New Beginning in German when it was released. Lovely art style, novel subject, run-of-the-mill puzzles, writing okay I guess, but not outstanding. The game was too long for me, it dragged on and on. All in all: not good, not bad. Mediocre. I don’t remember much about the voice acting, but German voice actors are usually very good.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I played it again last year and YEEEEEEESH. I’m playing the sequel right now and I honestly think it’s one of the worst PnC games I’ve ever played in my life

Ok, now that we’ve added Runaway and Runaway 2 to the conversation, I’ve opened the scope to include them.

So, let’s keep going and I thank you for for keeping it civil.

And add more games if you want.

FYI there was an adventure game I thought was terrible, Syberia 3. I tried the demo, read bad reviews and didn’t buy it.

But generally, I do look for the good in an adventure game and only buy those I’m 100% sure I will like. I am currently playing Lamplight City and yes, despite it being nowhere near perfect, I’m enjoying it.

And yes, hardware makes a big difference. Indie adventure games tend to be low res and blowing them up on a 20 inch monitor can really bring out the flaws in them (jagginess, poor pixel count).

Going forward, I will still only buy adventure games I will enjoy playing and you can expect more positive reviews from my experiences. A New Beginning, warts and all is a positive addition to my
adventure game collection.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2020-08-13

PM

Adv_Lvr - 11 March 2021 09:00 PM

FYI there was an adventure game I thought was terrible, Syberia 3. I tried the demo, read bad reviews and didn’t buy it.

Syberia 1 and 2 were so weird… there were so many incredibly interesting parts and a few REALLY good puzzles, but there’s so much dead space. One thing that bothers me is that you have to walk through 7 or 8 empty screens between anything you can interact with. It feels so much like padding.

And the art really sets a tone, but largely that tone is “gray.” haha

Compounding that with the bad reviews, I think I’ll wait for some HEFTY Steam sale to pick up Syberia 3.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

mattaukamp - 11 March 2021 09:36 PM
Adv_Lvr - 11 March 2021 09:00 PM

Syberia 1 and 2 were so weird… there were so many incredibly interesting parts and a few REALLY good puzzles, but there’s so much dead space. One thing that bothers me is that you have to walk through 7 or 8 empty screens between anything you can interact with. It feels so much like padding.

And the art really sets a tone, but largely that tone is “gray.” haha

Compounding that with the bad reviews, I think I’ll wait for some HEFTY Steam sale to pick up Syberia 3.

One day I will write a short essay about my adventures with Syberia and Syberia 2. Long story short, I adore Syberia, and like but definitely don’t love Syberia 2. And some of the main reasons I adore the first game so much have a lot to do with all of the reasons you mentioned for not liking it so much.
It is a wonderfully polarizing game, and I completely understand why anyone would not be as enamored with it as I am. I also think that a lot of the nostalgic reverence for the game comes from something you mentioned earlier today, I think in a different thread, about there being a dearth of good point and clicks back then, and adventure-starved genre fans were ready to gobble up anything half decent and proclaim it delicious. Hunger does that to you. But that’s not why I love the game.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

My contribution to the new thread title would be Broken Age. Loved the first half, *couldn’t stand* the second half. The first half was full of surprises, the second was just a retread of the first—same areas, same characters, worse puzzles, plot that gets way out of control in a making-it-up-as-they-go-along-because-they-have-no-idea-how-to-gracefully-end-the-game sort of way.

Also, Broken Sword 4 has gotten considerable love from the BS community (also some dislike, to be fair) and on this forum. I don’t get it. I think it’s just just just terrible. First 2-3 hours were okay, and then hoo boy, does it get stinky.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Baron_Blubba - 11 March 2021 09:47 PM

Also, Broken Sword 4 has gotten considerable love from the BS community (also some dislike, to be fair) and on this forum. I don’t get it. I think it’s just just just terrible. First 2-3 hours were okay, and then hoo boy, does it get stinky.

Wow. I’ve tried it a few times but never got past the part where you guide George across the steel beam. Awful stuff.

My contributions to the thread title are Roki, Anna’s Quest, Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Full Throttle. Why lump them all together? Because they’re all average, middling games with nothing new to offer which are somehow extremely popular presumably because, well it’s got bikers/spooky houses/fairy tale themes/norse mythology so it must be good, right?

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I played a New Beginning in German originally, I don’t remember having issues with the voice acting. Mostly I found the puzzles a bit boring and I remember being disappointed in the end because I thought they could have done so much more with the story. It’s a game I wanted to love and just ended feeling mediocre.

Baron_Blubba - 11 March 2021 09:47 PM

My contribution to the new thread title would be Broken Age. Loved the first half, *couldn’t stand* the second half. The first half was full of surprises, the second was just a retread of the first—same areas, same characters, worse puzzles, plot that gets way out of control in a making-it-up-as-they-go-along-because-they-have-no-idea-how-to-gracefully-end-the-game sort of way.

Yes, completely. The second part ruined the experience of the first part. After completing the first part, I thought it could be a classic but that came crashing down when the second part was released.

Luhr28 - 11 March 2021 11:34 PM

My contributions to the thread title are Roki, Anna’s Quest, Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Full Throttle. Why lump them all together? Because they’re all average, middling games with nothing new to offer which are somehow extremely popular presumably because, well it’s got bikers/spooky houses/fairy tale themes/norse mythology so it must be good, right?

I used to love Full Throttle and then I replayed the remaster with my girlfriend and we were just both disappointed. It’s not bad but it’s nowhere as good as I remembered it to be. BS1 is the same for me. I blame it on the director’s cut for that one though (but I also hate hate the dialogue interface)

Anna’s Quest was fun playing for a bit but then again I never finished it so…

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

giom - 12 March 2021 12:44 AM

I

I used to love Full Throttle and then I replayed the remaster with my girlfriend and we were just both disappointed. It’s not bad but it’s nowhere as good as I remembered it to be. BS1 is the same for me. I blame it on the director’s cut for that one though (but I also hate hate the dialogue interface)

Anna’s Quest was fun playing for a bit but then again I never finished it so…

Man, I disagree big time about Full Throttle. That game is like a favorite piece of music to me—even though I know it by heart, having listened to it over and over etc again, I still relish every note of it, and every note resonates strongly with my nostalgia bone.

Even the frustrating parts, like the destruction derby, bring me back to a happy time in my life when the most frustrating thing my young self had to worry about was getting past the destruction derby section in a video game…or figuring out how to knock that darn chainsaw lady (as we used to call her) off her bike! (Hint: Every fight in that section is a puzzle. There’s a particular weapon for each particular enemy that’ll make the fight a piece of cake.)

Anyway, it’s a little bit easy by adventure game standards, and because of that, it’s a little bit short too—even though the plot and game world have a pretty sizable and well realized scope, and there are many great characters to meet.  Brevity and slight concession in the difficulty department aside, I think it’s a masterpiece of video game storytelling . It hits all the beats like a movie, but unlike a lot of today’s interactive movie-ish games, this one never stops feeling like a game; I am always responsible for doing the important stuff to move the plot forward and solve all of the problems the protagonist encounters. The pacing is perfect, as are the art, characterization, voice acting, and atmosphere. I think *this* should have become the post-Myst-craze, 32/64-bit era adventure game paradigm. It moved the genre forward while also respecting its past, while also abandoning some of the less broadly palatable aspects of that same past.
Obviously, I love this game. Probably know every line by heart, start to finish.
“Whenever I think of asphalt, I think of Maureen.”

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

So true, I could have not said this any better. I replay the 1st part all the time. The 2nd, well, not a great game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top