• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissiefurgotten

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

KAPIA. A funky-apocalyptic adventure

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2017-09-05

PM

Thank you for being here!
My name is Anna, I am 50% of our husband and wife game development team. This is a video of our game - KAPIA.

KAPIA is a point & click adventure executed in a classical style of 3D quests from the mid-2000s.

Our story-driven adventure follows the journey of a retired pilot and a strong-willed grandfather Stefan, who takes on the responsibility of ending the conflict. Little does he know, his most powerful ally will be his small granddaughter, Reny.

Inspiration

Our job and lifestyle make us very mobile. For the past ten years, we’ve been traveling the world, staying in a different country for two to four years. It hasn’t always been easy, but we value the experience of diving into different cultures.

Five years ago, in Latvia, the idea for our point & click adventure KAPIA has taken its final form. Self-funded and produced by our family, KAPIA encompasses a wide range of people and their ideas from different parts of the world.

Our two people developer team is a big fan of games of the “golden age” in point & click, such as Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, The Longest Journey, Still Life, The Dig, and Syberia. These games shaped our taste for game development and for point & click as a whole.

Story

Following the collapse of the World Union, the war has struck that divided the planet into coalitions representing “The West” and “The East”. To avoid a mysterious intelligent infection, people are living under lockdown in the protective domes.

Solve the mystery of dome survivors, dive into unique universe of KAPIA to help Stefan and his granddaughter end the ongoing war. Play for both characters in different locations, speak to the peculiar dome inhabitants, join the investigation, discover clues and testimonies to uncover the origin of tragedy, that divided the world.

Key features

Point-and-click

Play for both characters

Unique 3D design

Puzzles and mini-games

Voiced dialogues

Subtitles: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish
Audio: English

Platforms
PC Windows, but we hope to include more.

Release
2021 Q2

Follow our progress

Kickstarter

Steam

Facebook

Website

Twitter

Joined 2017-09-05

PM

Our demo reel. Hope you like it.
Oh, and do ask questions.
I don’t bite over the internet.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Lovely, but do you really think we don’t know what you did last summer about your magnificent game  Laughing keeping it coming, and good luck for you and your husband on the upcoming Kickstarter

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Nice looking visuals. The Syberia influence is noticeable. Smile

How are you dividing the development as a couple? Who writes, who’s the graphical artist, who programs, etc.? And which 3D engine did you use in development?

How far along is the game? It looks close to completion, with voice acting also done?
What will the Kickstarter be used for?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2017-09-05

PM

Thank you for your questions! Smile

TimovieMan - 08 August 2020 03:08 PM

Nice looking visuals. The Syberia influence is noticeable. Smile

I am very happy that you like the visuals part of KAPIA. Syberia was definitely an influence and I am happy that we managed to make it noticable.

The gameplay is also build around “classics”.
Compound puzzles intertwine with mini-games and dialogues, this makes the story flow universally throughout the game.

How are you dividing the development as a couple? Who writes, who’s the graphical artist, who programs, etc.? And which 3D engine did you use in development?

Both of us have formal education in art, so it is difficult to put a “full stop” on who does what in graphics segment.

My husband is the coder and an animator, but he also sets up lights in Unity, adjusts materials, places cameras.
On my side, I make 3D content for the game and act out characters in motion capture. I also write the script, select and order voice actors, and do the marketing to my best ability.

If the load becomes too heavy for one person, we just do the task together.

I believe, we operate the same way in our private lives. For example, we walk our dog in turns on workdays and walk her together on weekends.

How far along is the game? It looks close to completion, with voice acting also done?

This is a very exciting question because the answer to that is:
We are about to release KAPIA prologue !
I can’t wait to hear feedback when people get to actually play the demo.
For the complete release, we are looking at 2021 Q2.
Voice acting is completely there for the prologue and is partially in for next couple levels.

What will the Kickstarter be used for?

The fast answer to this will be the outsource.
We try to use every bit of our expertise for this product, but there are some things that we cannot do. The major ones are: music, voice over, and localisation.
So far, KAPIA was completely self-funded. But as we continue cutting our personal budget, the game requires a bulk investment, that we simply can’t handle as we work full time on the project.

Joined 2017-09-05

PM

Advie - 08 August 2020 02:59 PM

Lovely, but do you really think we don’t know what you did last summer about your magnificent game  Laughing keeping it coming, and good luck for you and your husband on the upcoming Kickstarter

You are so sweet! Thank you for keeping an eye on our KAPIA and for following our progress.

Considering that I update my dev. blog on Twitter daily, I very well believe that you actually do know what I did last summer and even how I did it. Grin

Joined 2017-09-05

PM

KAPIA DEMO is on ItchIo!
https://2for2.itch.io/kapia

Now you can play a demo version of KAPIA and leave us your feedback!
If you like what we do, please support us on Kickstarter, it is around the corner!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2for2/kapia

Joined 2017-09-05

PM

Our family-crafted KAPIA is heading for a Kickstarter in just one week.
If you like our work, please consider backing:

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

Epico

Joined 2017-09-05

PM

After four years in development, our point&click; adventure KAPIA is now live on Kickstarter.

If you like what my husband and I have created, please come support our project.

Joined 2017-09-05

PM

My husband and I are running a
Heart Kickstarter Heart
campaign to support further development of our indie adventure KAPIA.

KAPIA is a story-driven adventure executed in a classical style of 3D quests from the mid-2000s.
Stefan, a retired pilot and a strong-willed grandfather, takes on the responsibility of solving the mystery of a global lockdown. Little does he know his most powerful ally will be his little granddaughter, Reny.

The campaign is now live and you can learn about our game and download a demo version on the Kickstarter page.

The game atmosphere was inspired by Riga, back when we lived in Latvia. Since then the game has traveled three different countries and picked up many traits from the locals, but the origin remains.

One of our characters wants to tell you how the world of KAPIA was invented. :-) This is his story:

My name is Robbi. I am here to tell you the story of our world and its creators.

It all began five years ago in your world. My creators moved to Riga, Latvia and endlessly walked the streets of the old town. For them, it was a time of change and calamity and walking soothed them. After many years of collecting experience, my creators decided to make a leap to a new start in game development. They had the experience, but they lacked the inspiration.

On a dark cloudy evening, they took just another walk through the Old Town. The night was gathering around the ancient walls of Riga, it covered the roofs of the building as an eternal dome, the town was empty and mysterious.

My creators took the night and made it into our dome. The mystery of Riga started the plot. The idea of change became the intelligent infection that locked our people inside the domed walls of KAPIA.

This marked the beginning of my story, its end is up to you. My creators can’t continue without your help. They need your power to finish our world. This is the resource for people like you to join in and make KAPIA come alive.

Joined 2017-09-05

PM

Thank you Weird Gaming Adventure for a wonderful interview!

It is absolutely astonishing to see it on the front page of our AMAZING adventuregamers.com!

https://adventuregamers.com/articles/view/video-interview-kapias

Thanks to the support from our community, Kickstarter is doing very well! We got over 60% funded under two weeks.

Thank you, dear friends for all your help and support of our work. You are helping make our dream become a reality!

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

lovely interview, and wow 60% of the KS goal achieved, hope you guys reach the goal in the next few days.

Joined 2017-09-05

PM

Advie - 30 September 2020 12:26 PM

lovely interview, and wow 60% of the KS goal achieved, hope you guys reach the goal in the next few days.

Thank you so very much for your kind words! Fingers crossed :-)

Joined 2017-09-05

PM

KAPIA poster evolution.
1 took me 2 weeks   2 took me 5 days
3 took me 1 day     4 took me 30 minutes

Ok, I still need to work on faces in the last one, but you can tell that I am learning.

Joined 2017-09-05

PM

Dear friends, Steam stream will be active for as long as my phone lives.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1351140/KAPIA/

If you like our game, please Follow the Steam page or wishlist. It will help a lot upon release.

If you like our adventure enough to be willing to help the development,
KAPIA Kickstarter is running for another 5 days.

Image Attachments

dev_social_media_share_featured_title_loc.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top