• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Who are some of your favorite adventure game villains? + More Villain Talk!

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Baron_Blubba - 09 April 2021 01:35 PM

The witchy witch in Anna’s Quest makes your life miserable from start to finish, tricking you time and time again.

Did you actually finish Anna’s Quest?

I didn’t like the game (we had a CPT of it a few games ago, if you’re interested to read people’s opinion of the game), but Winfriede is my favorite character there, and the pretty Daedalic-ish ending, in my opinion, totally lacked redemption and tanked the game for me just as much as Anna’s character.

Edit: I also liked the fox. And pretty much everyone you’d consider “a villain” in this game much more than the “good squad”

Total Posts: 837

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

DCast - 09 April 2021 02:18 PM

The witchy witch in Anna’s Quest makes your life miserable from start to finish, tricking you time and time again.

Did you actually finish Anna’s Quest?

I didn’t like the game (we had a CPT of it a few games ago, if you’re interested to read people’s opinion of the game), but Winfriede is my favorite character there, and the pretty Daedalic-ish ending, in my opinion, totally lacked redemption and tanked the game for me just as much as Anna’s character.

Edit: I also liked the fox. And pretty much everyone you’d consider “a villain” in this game much more than the “good squad”

I think I’m almost finished.
I’m in the castle room where Benny is being held in a cage. I need to watch the Winnfride dial the passcode again, and I need to get the gold coin so I can send away for the thimble.

I will have a lot to say about the game once I’m done…and then I’ll read the CPT thread. This game has some great parts and some annoying parts, but overall it’s definitely been worth playing so far.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

Dr Uberman

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Burge - 09 April 2021 05:49 PM

Dr Uberman

Such a wonderfully obvious name for the badden from Fate of Atlantis.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Baron_Blubba - 09 April 2021 03:02 PM

I think I’m almost finished.
I’m in the castle room where Benny is being held in a cage. I need to watch the Winnfride dial the passcode again, and I need to get the gold coin so I can send away for the thimble.

I will have a lot to say about the game once I’m done…and then I’ll read the CPT thread. This game has some great parts and some annoying parts, but overall it’s definitely been worth playing so far.

You have quite a bit to go. I’d say you entered a last third of the game. Would be curious to hear what you thought. Oh, and I think the soundscape in this game was pretty great, on par with animations and BG art

Total Posts: 161

Joined 2007-09-11

PM

- In KQ 6, you meet the vizier at the start of the game, see him once or twice more in cut scenes where you are not present, and spend the rest of the game figuring out how to get to him so that you can foil his plans.
- In QFG 1 - 3, you have very little interaction with the big bad until the very very end of the game.

In both QFG3 and KQ6 player sees through game influence that villain’s plot has for different tribes (QFG3) and different islands (KQ6). And in QFG 1 player learns through game about how villain has influenced life of the baron and influence of baron’s tragedies to the valley he rules.

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Dr baxter, technobabylon

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Dr baxter, technobabylon

Good choice! I need to replay this game. He is so creepy…..

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

And Day of the Tentacle, well…Purple Tentacle. The greatest villain of all time (or at least, of three times).

BaDaBing!

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

garbo - 10 April 2021 05:38 AM

- In KQ 6, you meet the vizier at the start of the game, see him once or twice more in cut scenes where you are not present, and spend the rest of the game figuring out how to get to him so that you can foil his plans.
- In QFG 1 - 3, you have very little interaction with the big bad until the very very end of the game.

In both QFG3 and KQ6 player sees through game influence that villain’s plot has for different tribes (QFG3) and different islands (KQ6). And in QFG 1 player learns through game about how villain has influenced life of the baron and influence of baron’s tragedies to the valley he rules.

All true, but there is no direct confrontation with the villain. I should have phrased what I was saying better.
In lots of games you see and hear about what the villain is doing, but you don’t have any direct interaction or confrontation with him between the very beginning and very end of the game. While there are certainly plenty of memorable villains that fit this description, also seems like one great ingredient for a memorable adventure game villain is to make him a constant thorn in your side, in a face to face or otherwise very direct manner.
Also: Don’t just bank on what he *has* done, allow him to continue to do as you play. (For example, you don’t really confront Ripburger directly except for at the beginning and end of Full Throttle, but you constantly see him doing terrible things and are immediately affected by them.)

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Baron_Blubba - 10 April 2021 05:59 PM
garbo - 10 April 2021 05:38 AM

All true, but there is no direct confrontation with the villain. I should have phrased what I was saying better.
In lots of games you see and hear about what the villain is doing, but you don’t have any direct interaction or confrontation with him between the very beginning and very end of the game. While there are certainly plenty of memorable villains that fit this description, also seems like one great ingredient for a memorable adventure game villain is to make him a constant thorn in your side, in a face to face or otherwise very direct manner.
Also: Don’t just bank on what he *has* done, allow him to continue to do as you play. (For example, you don’t really confront Ripburger directly except for at the beginning and end of Full Throttle, but you constantly see him doing terrible things and are immediately affected by them.)

I love how ripburger went out, what a great ending. Also love the fact they didnt shoehorn ben and mo together in love at the end.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Re: Ripburger - Can’t Beat A Corley!

Re: Ben & Mo - Do you think they might have gotten romantic in one of the planned sequels?

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Baron_Blubba - 12 April 2021 04:07 PM

Re: Ben & Mo - Do you think they might have gotten romantic in one of the planned sequels?

I hope not, that game was ace af and I loved how they bonded out of mutual interests and respect, without some kind of will they/won’t they dynamic. Nothing to the detriment of people who like their AG heroes to be involved in that particular manner, but the way their intertwining stories were handled in “Full Throttle” was rather unique and I cherish it.

But.. as a realistic answer to your question: yeah, probably, seeing the way LucasArts shipped Guybrush and Elaine (badum tss).

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Yep, the ending of Anna’s Quest sucked. On top of everything you say though, for me it was also treatment of Winnie.

Her entire world growing up ranged from people telling her she’ll end up super-duper bad because of some divination, to few being somewhaaat tolerant of her (looking at the “dear” sister), besides one single friend. Without much surprise, child raised in this atmosphere did end up “evil” to which every adult promptly turned around and said “I told you so! Now, let’s defeat her.” This self-fulfilling prophecy gave virtually no voice to Winny (that seemed like a good slightly sulky kid just needing to be loved) and left her with no redemption.

But I also didn’t like Anna (and if you read the CPT - I went about it at length), so I ended up not liking the game, but gave it positive review on Steam, alluding to the fact that this is personal rather than objective dissatisfaction (well, besides voice-over Grin ). However, Winnie will never be the “villain” in the pure sense of this word for me. She was the underdog, and I’d take her over Anna any day.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

DCast - 16 April 2021 07:25 AM

Yep, the ending of Anna’s Quest sucked. On top of everything you say though, for me it was also treatment of Winny.

Her entire world growing up ranged from people telling her she’ll end up super-duper bad because of some divination, to few being somewhaaat tolerant of her (looking at the “dear” sister), besides one single friend. Without much surprise, child raised in this atmosphere did end up “evil” to which every adult promptly turned around and said “I told you so! Now, let’s defeat her.” This self-fulfilling prophecy gave virtually no voice to Winny (that seemed like a good slightly sulky kid just needing to be loved) and left her with no redemption.

But I also didn’t like Anna (and if you read the CPT - I went about it at length), so I ended up not liking the game, but gave it positive review on Steam, alluding to the fact that this is personal rather than objective dissatisfaction (well, besides voice-over Grin ). However, Winny will never be the “villain” in the pure sense of this word for me. She was the underdog, and I’d take her over Anna any day.

I’m going to go back and read your thoughts in the CPT thread again. Meantime, I’ve written a lot of what I liked/didn’t like in my last several posts in the What Game Have You Just Finished thread. I reckon we are probably simpatico on much of it.

Just like you, I still gave the game a positive review. I think it’s one of the better modern adventure games I’ve played; I might even replay it some time in the future to see if I missed out on some magic the first time around. But I didn’t enjoy it nearly as much as some other forum members.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top