• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoIronCretinJdawg445Lady Kestrelluckyloserwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

1st Person Adventure Games using spells cleverly to pass obstacles and escape peril

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

GateKeeper - 19 December 2020 11:34 AM

“You push a button and a door opens.”
“You pushed a button and a door opens.”

Both are quite possible. I could give you real life examples of both kinds of doors.
In a shopping mall where I often go, you first need to push a button and then wait a few seconds for the door to open.
And there’s a ship that I often travel aboard, and the door to sundeck has a button that needs to be pushed for five seconds before the compressed air even begins to flow in the door mechanism.

So which is the correct tense depends on what kind of mechanism we are talking about, and at what point of the sequence the narrative is at. Immediately with the next action, or taking a larger view at things.

You’re still wrong.

“You push a button and a door opens” is present tense and can only be present tense. Grammatically sound.

“You pushed a button and a door opens” is grammatically incorrect. That should read (to be correct) “You pushed a button and a door opened” and could be first person of a second person’s actions depending on surrounding speech/text and therefore be current tense or also be first person of a second person’s actions depending on surrounding speech/text and therefore could be past tense.
That second example would therefore need to have much more context as to which tense it is.

Life is what it is.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top