• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

I’m looking to get a new PC

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2016-06-14

PM

What is a good site that you recommend and how fast should my processor be. I don’t want to have to upgrade again for at least 5 years. I tried to play the 13th Doll on my pc that I have right now and the game was as slow as The 7th Guest when I first played it back in the early 90s. So I went my PC to at least be able to handle that game successfully without tremendous slowdown. Thank you for your help in advance

“You fight like a dairy farmer” - Secret of Monkey Island
“you always were a kidder Steve” - Harvester
“hello bright eyes” - Blackwell Legacy
“feeling lonely” - The 7th Guest

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Before anyone can answer that query we’d need to know your budget and where in the world you are (although I think we can guess that Smile ).

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2016-06-14

PM

I’m in the USA in the state of TX. My budget well I would like to find something under 1000 dollars.

“You fight like a dairy farmer” - Secret of Monkey Island
“you always were a kidder Steve” - Harvester
“hello bright eyes” - Blackwell Legacy
“feeling lonely” - The 7th Guest

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

angelus_04 - 10 February 2020 12:34 PM

I’m in the USA in the state of TX. My budget well I would like to find something under 1000 dollars.

I can’t really help you with an appropriate website as I’m in the UK and (surprise surprise Smile) you’re over the pond .

However, as a rough guide to what components to look for, and I can’t be specific as I’m unaware of American pricing, I’d go for one of the new AMD Ryzen processors rather than any Intel as they’re outperforming Intel quite comfortably at the moment. If budget allows then a SSD drive but be warned that you’ll be only able to afford a relatively small one compared to a mechanical IDE one. SSDs are quite a bit faster though and, being solid state, is less liable to failure. At least 8GB of RAM and 16GB (or more!) for preference. You’ll get more for your money from a desktop assuming pricing is relatively similar in the US as to here. If you’re going for a laptop then screen becomes a crucial point but I’m not willing to advise on that as it’s very much down to your eyesight. Personally I can’t play games on a laptop as I’m far too used to a large screen (my current one is 30”).
Good hunting Thumbs Up

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I am in Texas. At Best Buy you can get a great computer for under $1000:

Acer - Nitro 5 17.3” Gaming Laptop - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 - 512GB Solid State Drive - Black
Model:AN517-51-56YW SKU:6345056

This is a sweet ride that would last for years. It’s $799.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Mikekelly - 13 February 2020 06:26 PM

I am in Texas. At Best Buy you can get a great computer for under $1000:

Acer - Nitro 5 17.3” Gaming Laptop - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 - 512GB Solid State Drive - Black
Model:AN517-51-56YW SKU:6345056

This is a sweet ride that would last for years. It’s $799.

Heart

I’ve looked that one up Mike and I wouldn’t call it great. Adequate, yes. Good price, yes. Value for money, certainly.

But the processor is somewhat under-powered, graphics are only average and memory is the bare minimum (but can be upgraded over time to 32Gb which is good). Definite plus is the decent sized SSD.
Anyway, for Angel, here’s a review I found on this laptop:

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/acer-nitro-5-17-3-inch-review/

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2019-12-25

PM

If you want to save money, then take the Ryzen processor

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Here’s a nice example of that:

HP - 17.3” Laptop - AMD Ryzen 7 - 16GB Memory - AMD Radeon RX Vega 10 - 1TB HDD - Jet Black, Mesh Knit Pattern With Texture Finish
Model:17-CA1031DX SKU:6393921

Also at Best Buy for 699.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Maybe it’s just me, but a “gaming laptop” with high powered graphics card doesn’t make a lot of sense. I don’t know anyone who plays games on the go, at work or on public transportation, or outdoors. And when the card and CPU becomes outdated, you’ve got to throw the thing out and buy a new one, rather than simply replacing the parts as you would for a desktop.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Luhr28 - 26 March 2021 05:09 AM

Maybe it’s just me, but a “gaming laptop” with high powered graphics card doesn’t make a lot of sense. I don’t know anyone who plays games on the go, at work or on public transportation, or outdoors. And when the card and CPU becomes outdated, you’ve got to throw the thing out and buy a new one, rather than simply replacing the parts as you would for a desktop.

How about a PC gamer who has kids and lacks the space at home for a desk and a desktop? Because that’s definitely the case for me.

And since I don’t usually play the newest high-end releases, being a few years outdated isn’t that big of a deal.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I’ve lived in places barely larger than a broom closet, and still find it hard to believe you lack the space for even a desk.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Luhr28 - 26 March 2021 08:14 AM

I’ve lived in places barely larger than a broom closet, and still find it hard to believe you lack the space for even a desk.

We have a desk. It’s where the scanner/printer is, and where the setup is for when we’re working from home. And it’s cramped enough as it is, without the need for an extra screen, keyboard and desktop case.

And sure, we could probably put an extra desk somewhere else, but I’m not living in my own private man-cave.

Call it an unwillingness to assign any part of the house (that can now be used as playspace for the kids) to hold a desktop computer, when I can simply play on a laptop *anywhere* and store it in the TV cabinet when I’m not.

Also, unless you’re going for an absolute state-of-the-art rig, laptops have almost entirely caught up to desktop computers in terms of performance vs. price in recent years, so there’s no need for a desktop anymore, in my opinion.
Unless you’re a stickler for big screens, but again, that requires a place to put it…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I have a state of the art Alienware laptop and it’s pretty rad. I yes, I do have a desk. If you love portability, it’s the way to go.

Both desktops and laptops have their good points and bad points, like everything else.

Heart

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

Speaking of upgrading PC is anybody here also in the market for upgrades but feels frustrated to say the least? I don’t see any clear way how since all the newest GPUs (like Nvidia 30 series) are impossible to get right now. I’m not sure about processors but I think there was also shortage of stock with the newest Rizens?

I have a Radeon RX 480 4GB with Intel i5-6500 and 16GB Ram. I believe it was pretty modest even back in 2017 when I built it so of course it struggles to play the latest games now. I want the upgrade to be meaningful so I’m not sure if anything available right now like a 20 series would be worth it considering those are already aging and I plan to be able to move to 4k or 1440 in the near future.

And getting a gaming laptop or prebuilt PC doesn’t makes sense to me since the prices are way too high for those and anyway the idea of getting a gaming PC was to be able to upgrade by parts.

Any advice? should I keep waiting until stock/prices improves or is there any viable way to upgrade right now?

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

When I was choosing a computer I looked mainly at laptops. In my opinion there is no point in desktop computers nowadays. Of course a laptop will cost more. But I think you should think about it. You can always, like me, sell your equipment online.

Yep, that’s what I did also. Of course VR capability was important for me.

Heart

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

As terrible as the market is right now, I don’t think a gaming laptop suits me, especially if I’m on a budget. My goal when I first built my desktop PC was the ability to upgrade periodically by parts without having to replace the whole thing. I never thought it could get like this when newer hardware came out so I’m open to options now, but I still think waiting to be able to upgrade or getting a pre-built PC fits me more than a laptop. The only advantage for me is the ability to move around and connect to different screens, but as it is right now I have a nice desktop set up where I don’t feel the need to move.

My other concern with laptops is the heat. The two laptops that I have owned had heating issues, they would shut off even when playing not demanding games like indy adventure games, so I can’t imagine playing demanding AAA games with a laptop. Maybe it depends on the quality or brand?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top