• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #53 Whispers of a Machine

Total Posts: 1620

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Luhr28 - 29 May 2019 12:02 AM

If I didn’t like Kathy rain, will I like this?
Or, to put it another way, has the writing and other aspects improved?

I believe so, I loved the first half of kathy rain but hated the 2nd half. I feel this world is a lot more fleshed out as a whole, I do feel like the ending in whispers of the machine is still a little rushed but no where near as bad as kathy rain.

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Mikekelly - 28 May 2019 06:59 PM

I would love to still read your opinions on the game. Even if you finish the game way before us and just post your overall opinions on the game and it’s ending.

So, those want to play at their own pace, please do and post your opinions as you find time.

Lastly, the game has great replayability, there are many different ways to play and solve puzzles, even get different endings.

Heart

I’m using Mike’s post as a response point but it’s also a response to the other comments.

If I’m playing a game for the first time I want to experience it via my own thoughts, ideas, expectations as to how the story will unfold, character development, how it will end. The journey is mine, and mine alone.

If I were to join in this CPT that would be seriously compromised by reading all the other views posted – some of them from a point earlier than where I am and others from a point further on. This will colour my view and expectations and I will not countenance that. The initial journey is always for my enjoyment, for how my imagination runs and for how my intellect works (not much intellect unfortunately which makes the puzzles a bit of a problem but hey-ho, it’s still enjoyable Smile ).

It’s like a book club agreeing to read a book new to all and meeting once a week to discuss what’s happened up to the agreed stopping point. Why do this? It’s disruptive to the narrative flow for each individual. I think it’s a great idea for second, third, fourth readings of the book as an individual can bring in other’s views and thoughts on the story and this can be a very good way to develop intellectually plus it can be fun which is all to the good. But never initially.

A quick way of explaining my view is when I went to see the film Angel Heart very many years ago with my then partner. I’d worked out the twist within the first 2 minutes of the start of the film. I deliberately kept quiet because I didn’t want to spoil her journey within the film (she told me afterwards that if I had she’d have killed me).

Now, this is personal to me and others here clearly don’t share this view and I’m offering no criticism whatsoever to those people. Very many people get a great deal of pleasure by sharing the journey, in fact wouldn’t enjoy it if they had no-one to share it with, but, as you may gather, I’m not one of those.

I’ve always followed the CPTs, even tried to join in with a couple (but always failed miserably to keep up), but not this time. I won’t be starting WoaM for a short while as I’ve got a couple of others in line first but I do hope that it’s a great ride for all those taking part Thumbs Up

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 28 May 2019 09:48 PM

I’m not exactly sure why people playing the game for the first time prefer to do it solo.

The main joy of joining in with a CPT for me is that I’m prompted to try games that I wouldn’t have considered otherwise e.g. Obsidian; play games at last that I’ve forever meant to get around to e.g. Fate of Atlantis & Beneath a Steel Sky or replay games as part of a group e.g. A Vampyre Story & The Cat Lady.
I’m usually quite disciplined & stick to the pace of the playthrough.

For me WoaM is a highly anticipated game for which I don’t want to, & therefore know I won’t, stick to the pace of the playthrough. Once I’ve got started I’ll only be able to play for a few hours each day but I will still have completed it way before the CPT ends.  Smile

Total Posts: 101

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

Game is installed and I’m ready to get started Smile

Knowing myself, I’ll probably end up with analytical augs, but I’m not going to make a conscious effort to go in a certain direction. I’m going to choose whatever feels appropriate for the way I see the lead character.

I really liked Kathy Rain and have high hopes for this game. And having the developer commenting in the thread will add to the experience.

On the topic of playing the game for the first time in a community playthrough: I have found that I enjoy adventure games the most when playing together with someone. Often I play together with my wife, but if for whatever reason she doesn’t feel like playing an adventure game, a community playthrough is a good alternative. Playing with other people somehow motivates me more not to go for a walkthrough, and in the end that leads to a more satisfying experience.

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I’ve played the game once already and would like to try a different path, this playthrough is a great opportunity Smile Despite the rather linear storyline, I think replayability is high enough for me to enjoy a second go this soon. I’ll do my best to stick to the pace of the community playthrough, however work has been hectic these past few weeks so I may be late at a couple checkpoints, in which case I’ll try to catch up as soon as I can.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I am more than happy to have some people gobble the game down and post in spoiler tags their opinions of the game.

Even if I was not going to play awhile, I am sure some of the designers comments would be interesting reading.

Lastly, I have very different opinions on CPTs than some people. Several games I played the very first time in a CPT and loved the experience.

It was great fun to play awhile, then read other people’s comments. The most fun way to play a game actually. And yes, made the 2nd and even 3rd playthroughs of the games better for it.

This CPT is going to be very special because it is a really good adventure game and the designer is with us!

Speaking of designer, mr game guru, did WOAM meet your expectations? Are you happy with reviews and sales?

I know I love the game and want another one soon!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Jabod - 29 May 2019 06:01 AM

Now, this is personal to me and others here clearly don’t share this view and I’m offering no criticism whatsoever to those people.

And I said

But that’s obviously their choice.

Which meant exactly that. No criticism intended. Just a question that you have answered.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2019-05-22

PM

Mikekelly - 29 May 2019 07:31 PM

Speaking of designer, mr game guru, did WOAM meet your expectations? Are you happy with reviews and sales?

Just to clarify; we’re two people in the core team. All writing (plot/puzzle design/dialogues etc) was split between us, and then Joel/Clifftop Games did the programming and I (Petter) handled art direction.

I’m personally happy with how the game has been received, especially by fans of the genre, and overall, players and reviewers seem happy. I think we’ll save the rest of this discussion - what parts are we more/less satisfied with, what could we have done better and so on - until after the playthrough!

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2016-06-14

PM

sort of related I just finished Kathy Rain I really hope a sequel is made because the door was left wide open for a sequel plus I love this character I want to know more.

“You fight like a dairy farmer” - Secret of Monkey Island
“you always were a kidder Steve” - Harvester
“hello bright eyes” - Blackwell Legacy
“feeling lonely” - The 7th Guest

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2013-08-23

PM

Mikekelly - 29 May 2019 07:31 PM

In terms of critical/player reception, it almost exactly met them! I predicted a metacritic average between 75 and 80 and 90+ positive Steam reviews, and that’s looking pretty accurate right now. I’m quite happy as long as we stay at “Very Positive” for Steam reviews and 75+ on MC for that sweet green, and so far things seem to be turning out that way!

As for copies sold, things have gone slightly better than expected, but it’s nothing life-changing. We still haven’t broken even on our development costs, but hopefully we’ll get there at some point this year Smile

FaravidInteractive - 30 May 2019 01:20 AM

Just to clarify; we’re two people in the core team. All writing (plot/puzzle design/dialogues etc) was split between us, and then Joel/Clifftop Games did the programming and I (Petter) handled art direction.

Indeed, without going into too much detail, the writing and game design was a collaborative process. I (Joel) worked full time on WoaM, and Petter balanced part time game development with a teaching job.

angelus_04 - 30 May 2019 04:18 AM

sort of related I just finished Kathy Rain I really hope a sequel is made because the door was left wide open for a sequel plus I love this character I want to know more.

Glad to hear that, KR2 is definitely one of the top candidates for my next project!  Smile

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m not sure exactly where we were supposed to stop. I didn’t find the controls particularly intuitive. Nevertheless I managed to find all I needed to find, (I think,) and have left the factory. Stopped when I finished a chat with the electrician.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 30 May 2019 04:33 PM

I’m not sure exactly where we were supposed to stop. I didn’t find the controls particularly intuitive. Nevertheless I managed to find all I needed to find, (I think,) and have left the factory. Stopped when I finished a chat with the electrician.

I never left the first room and stopped after my first scan of the victim.

When the next segment starts, I’m planning on starting from scratch anyway.
This week was just about getting the game, installing it, and making sure it runs. Which it does. But then, I expected nothing less from Steam.

Not sure why I didn’t check to see if GOG had the game, though. When given the choice between GOG and Steam I always pick GOG, but now I just defaulted to Steam and didn’t even check GOG.
Congratulations, Valve, you’ve won. Tongue

Quick note: my game time will be limited next week, so I might be falling behind from the get-go, but I should have no issues whatsoever catching up the week after that.

And an aside: with FaravidInteractive now in the CPT thread as well, we now have both designers present!  Gasp
How awesome is that?! Cool

I’ve updated the Recommendations thread to reflect that:

- Whispers of a Machine - with a special appearance by the game’s designers Joel Staff Hästö and Petter Ljungqvist

Good times.  Heart Eyes

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2006-10-02

PM

Hello everybody.
I’m in. My first community play.

I’ve actually already tried to play WOAM but quit. Didn’t like it. But the fault could be on my side, so I give it another try. Anyway the shared experience is rewarding.

Playing on an ipad air 2.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

You have until June 2nd to boot the game and perform the first scan of the victim.

After that we will do a day a week until completed.

This first week we are just making sure the game runs.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

TimovieMan - 31 May 2019 03:23 AM

Not sure why I didn’t check to see if GOG had the game, though. When given the choice between GOG and Steam I always pick GOG, but now I just defaulted to Steam and didn’t even check GOG.

Congratulations, Valve, you’ve won. Tongue

GOG is always my first choice for a game.  I automatically look there when a game I’m interested in releases. Steam is my second choice. But it’s second as in coming in second to Secretariat at the Belmont. So much so that if the game is only available on Steam, there’s a good chance I’ll decide not to play it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top