• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Publisher appreciation threads and Developer Appreciation threads

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

I’m curious if people would be open to this kind of discussion?  I have a few publishers that I’m desperate to discuss, and most people just don’t care.

And even a few developer studios.

Has something like this already been done, and do you recommend I make one master thread where people can gush about their favorites, or should I do it on an individual basis.  I don’t want to clog up the forum with threads that don’t get any participation or attention, so maybe let’s just start here, and if it get’s unwieldy then we’ll move it with the help of our mod admin friends.

The first publisher I had wanted to talk about was Aksys!

I found aksys totally by accident when I bought Theresia Dear Emile at a game store on a whim.  It was one of the best point and clicks I’d found on DS, so I was pumped, even had a dark gothic experience.  Later when I picked up the zero escape series (Starting with 999)  guess which publisher brought them to america!  Aksys In case you don’t know zero escape series is a series of amazing games that are like visual novel mixed with escape room style puzzles, or some adventuring.

At this point I was ready to send money to Aksys for just about any game they want to bring over to america (that’s their MO, they localize and publish games that never would have escaped japan otherwise)!

So I picked up Tokyo Twilight Ghost hunters, which turns out to be a seriously good turn based strategy game about running a ghost hunting business.  You have to lay traps, and use ghost fighting weapons while being careful not destroy unnecessary things.  Because ghosts are invisible, you’ll have to use special EMF readers to locate them. 
Even the visual novel parts are cool because you can choose both a sense and an emotion when responding to people.  This gives you a little more control over what information and flavor text your character gets, and how you respond to characters can change how they react to you as well!  I tried picking love-mouth for everyone, and they were not impressed.  A very niche game.  But if it’s been a long time since a game could challenge you with a strategy style, then I recommend you try this out.  Great rock and heavy metal soundtrack too.  Tokyo Twilight Ghost hunters is available across many platforms, pc, vita, and ps4 I think.

Lastly I wanted to talk about a game I had no expectations for at all, and that is MiniCopter Adventure Flight.

I seriously only bought it because it had Aksys name on it.  And holy crap this game is amazing!  I recently found that I’m super into flight sims, but usually only space, and jet fighter flight sim.  In this flight sim you are a model helicopter who does time trials, cleans up trash from the park, and drops it in the bin, flies through rings etc.  There are like 5 or 6 places to explore:  A hotel room, a park, kids bedroom, a dr office and several normal places like that.  And you need to satisfy the mission requirements within the time allowed by carefully and nimbly flying, using a mounted gun to shoot targets or open doors, and using a grabber hook for picking items up. 

When you beat levels you earn money to upgrade your model helicopter parts, and there is even a two player split screen mode for competing!

I highly recommend using the wii remote with the two joysticks on it, uhm classic or commander or pro something like that they call it.  You can play without that kind of remote, but it won’t make sense, and will be loose and awkward.  The pro Wii controller looks exactly like a model aircraft controller, so it’s a good fit.  One stick controls velocity and pitch, while the other controls roll and yaw.  Or maybe I got those mixed up…

I’m probably doing a poor job selling this helicopter game but seriously it has that Aksys seal of approval on it, and where I come from that Aksys logo means something damnit!!?!

Okay seriously, what are your favorite aksys games?

Have you heard of them before?

Are you willing to try the ghost hunter game and the helicopter game?

Should I continue to gush about publishers or developers that get no love?!

What publishers deserve more love in general and why?  (don’t worry I have a list a mile long, especially with those people that made the unavowed.  Jesus they are amazing)

Image Attachments

0310201640.jpg0310201640a.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Celebreon - 10 March 2020 06:00 PM

I’m curious if people would be open to this kind of discussion?  I have a few publishers that I’m desperate to discuss, and most people just don’t care.

Go ahead and discuss your heart out. Most of the time this place is tumbleweed city, and could use all the discussion it can get. I doubt anyone will mind.

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Word on the street is that my mom is tumbleweed city. Get it?

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I found aksys totally by accident when I bought Theresia Dear Emile at a game store on a whim.  It was one of the best point and clicks I’d found on DS, so I was pumped, even had a dark gothic experience.  Later when I picked up the zero escape series (Starting with 999)  guess which publisher brought them to america!  Aksys In case you don’t know zero escape series is a series of amazing games that are like visual novel mixed with escape room style puzzles, or some adventuring.

At this point I was ready to send money to Aksys for just about any game they want to bring over to america (that’s their MO, they localize and publish games that never would have escaped japan otherwise)!

So I picked up Tokyo Twilight Ghost hunters, which turns out to be a seriously good turn based strategy game about running a ghost hunting business.  You have to lay traps, and use ghost fighting weapons while being careful not destroy unnecessary things.  Because ghosts are invisible, you’ll have to use special EMF readers to locate them. 
Even the visual novel parts are cool because you can choose both a sense and an emotion when responding to people.  This gives you a little more control over what information and flavor text your character gets, and how you respond to characters can change how they react to you as well!  I tried picking love-mouth for everyone, and they were not impressed.  A very niche game.  But if it’s been a long time since a game could challenge you with a strategy style, then I recommend you try this out.  Great rock and heavy metal soundtrack too.  Tokyo Twilight Ghost hunters is available across many platforms, pc, vita, and ps4 I think.

Hey I love some of these games too! I have them on both the DS and VITA and love them, great games. The games in my quote are the ones I play and enjoy.

I loved playing Zero Escape, Virtues Last Reward. To me, it’s the very best game they released. I have it on both 3DS and VITA. Yes, it’s that good.

For these kind of games, the switch gets them now, I would also recommend NG - it is the second entry in the Spirit Hunter series, and the companion story to last year’s award-winning, Spirit Hunter: Death Mark. Spirit Hunter: NG follows the story of a young man on a life-threatening quest to discover who—or what—is responsible for the disappearance of his little sister.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Mikekelly - 05 April 2020 04:18 PM

Hey I love some of these games too! I have them on both the DS and VITA and love them, great games. The games in my quote are the ones I play and enjoy.

I highly recommend you play: Zero Escape, Virtues Last Reward. To me, it’s the very best game they released. Give it a try. I have it on both 3DS and VITA. Yes, it’s that good.

Heart

Yes!  I love all the visuals in Virtue’s last reward, especially in comparison to the sequel Zero Time Dilemma. 

I feel like in ZTD the voice acting is worse for some reason and the animation has this lack of quality to it.  But with VLR because of the more static anime type poses of the characters, the stronger voice cast, and all those rabbit puns are wrapped in a more coherent story, it’s a game I would want to go back and play again.

In the last one, ZTD they try to bring back junpei and kanny, and sigma and phi, and add new characters and it just gets messy with the timeline jumping and all.

For the last game in the series I even bought the special edition watch that they have stuck on their wrist in the game, but I decided to wear it instead of leaving it on my shelf with the game, and I broke it, and now I have to live with the deep regret and guilt of that.  LOL

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

A pity, those watches are valuable if you have the game to go with it. I agree with you, the second game of the three was by far the best. ZTD is ok, just not the classic VLR was. Zero Escape for a DS game is pretty good, but not as good as the 2nd.

Theresa: Dear Emily is just plain strange, but one of the few true horror games on the system. It has its faults, but I loved the game anyway.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

So yeah in Theresia Dear Emile/Dear Martel (the martel section I am seriously stuck on.  I know I’m close to beating it)  I think the big complaint was that exploring often resulted in taking damage from traps.  I could tell the original developers (whoever they be) were trying to balance the need to check and explore everything like in an adventure game, with the need to keep the player scared, and on edge for fear of dying and getting a game over.

Sadly it didn’t really result in the best horror-adventure game ever, but for a Japanese cell phone game that got ported to DS, and localized for the west, I mean you could do much much worse.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I think the big complaint was that exploring often resulted in taking damage from traps.

I recall when this game was released, this was a big deal. Players did not like this aspect of the game at all. The game would have done much better without this mechanic. I tolerated it, but I also hated it as much as everyone else.

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top