• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Witness - The Challenge

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2021-05-02

PM

Hello everyone I’m new here.

As the topic says I’m here to ask for some good tips about the challenge in The Witness I’m struggling and at the end of my tether with the game.

Admittedly back in 2018 when it became a PS+ game I followed a guide so wasn’t really paying attention to actual game it’s self apart from the symmetry right at the start, after that I followed a guide on Youtube, I gave up near the end when the 2 dark red doors had puzzles and they weren’t the same, after hours trying to figure it out I quit and deleted the game.

This year I think it was March PlayStation did a Play At Home month and The Witness was part of that amongst other games so I decided to give it another go (knowing it was End Game and the platinum I still had to get)

The Tetris puzzles and the 2nd set of colour squares are confusing me massively and I’ll go into detail…

Symmetry puzzles I understand, don’t always get them all but I understand the concept, both blue and yellow lines must be copy but upside down.

Maze puzzles are easy just get from bottom left to top right - 100% success rate with these.

Puzzle 1 - no problem - small maze
Puzzle 2 - no problem - bigger maze
Puzzle 3 - ok - black and white squares separation - most have not been an issue
Puzzle 4 - small brown box with maze - easy to do
Puzzles 4-8 are a hit an miss

On the odd occasion I have gotten past 8 puzzles and reach the 6 screens (3 just black and white squares and 2nd set white, green and puzzle squares) on most occasions the first set is easily done within seconds but I’ve never gotten beyond 2nd set of screens,

I’ve watched videos on these sorts of puzzles and I’m still clueless, there is mitigating circumstances I have Autism so sometimes people can be explaining something that most people would understand quickly without issue but in my case I’m unable to fully understand, I’m hoping people around here will be kind enough to try and explain.

Thanks

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I haven’t completed the Challenge either (I’m too slow, made it to the last puzzle a few times though), but I’ll try to help you anyway since nobody has replied to your question.

I played The Witness in 2016, so I had to refresh my memory by watching a youtube video of someone else playing the Challenge. Please correct me if I misunderstood: You can do the first set of three panels where you have to draw a line that separates the black and white squares from each other. Only one of the three panels can be solved and the player has to figure out which one. Which you did. The second set is the same, only more difficult because now you have to separate three colors instead of two, in only one of the three panels. If you had no problems with the first set, I see no reason why you won’t be able to do the second one.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I played The Witness several years ago. I got through it and reached the ending movie. I’m not sure what constitutes “The Challenge” in the game but I’m sure I never managed to complete it. There were locations in the game world that I hadn’t managed to reach and puzzles that I hadn’t solved (possibly of the type you describe). So unfortunately I don’t think I can help you. Hope someone else can. Good luck! It’s a brilliant game.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Veovis - 06 May 2021 03:22 AM

I played The Witness several years ago. I got through it and reached the ending movie. I’m not sure what constitutes “The Challenge” in the game but I’m sure I never managed to complete it. There were locations in the game world that I hadn’t managed to reach and puzzles that I hadn’t solved (possibly of the type you describe). So unfortunately I don’t think I can help you. Hope someone else can. Good luck! It’s a brilliant game.

If you don’t know what the timed Challenge is you must have missed a considerable part of the game inside the mountain: not only the Challenge itself but also the puzzles leading up to it. You have about 6 minutes to complete 15 random puzzles. Yes, random. Frown Each time you start the music on a record player (two tracks from Peer Gynt by Grieg) you get new puzzles. At the end you find the code for the last video clip. I once watched Jonathan Blow himself complete the challenge. He was very relaxed and made it look so easy! But it isn’t. Lots of people never manage it. Like me.

Joined 2021-05-02

PM

Karlok video where? I know behind the challenge part there was random puzzles with a cinema screen but couldn’t figure it out, that where you’re talking about?

I got the platinum just after midnight UK time thanks to someone share playing on PS

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Karlok - 06 May 2021 04:55 AM
Veovis - 06 May 2021 03:22 AM

If you don’t know what the timed Challenge is you must have missed a considerable part of the game inside the mountain: not only the Challenge itself but also the puzzles leading up to it. You have about 6 minutes to complete 15 random puzzles. Yes, random. Frown Each time you start the music on a record player (two tracks from Peer Gynt by Grieg) you get new puzzles. At the end you find the code for the last video clip. I once watched Jonathan Blow himself complete the challenge. He was very relaxed and made it look so easy! But it isn’t. Lots of people never manage it. Like me.

Yeah, I must have missed that. At least I don’t have any memory of it. And I should have since I love Grieg’s Peer Gynt! Long time ago, but I seem to remember giving up on unlocking a door around the part of the cinema and I failed to understand how to reach certain parts that could be glimpsed through cracks and openings around that part. By then I had spent a lot of time and solved what felt like billions of puzzles so figured I was “done enough” and felt satisfied with reaching the end movie.Smile

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

DavidMCoulthard - 06 May 2021 08:14 AM

Karlok video where? I know behind the challenge part there was random puzzles with a cinema screen but couldn’t figure it out, that where you’re talking about?

There’s a cinema screen down in the windmill, where you can trace line codes to watch the video clips. I think there are six clips and therefore also six codes to find. When you complete the Challenge you find the last code.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Veovis - 06 May 2021 09:01 AM

Yeah, I must have missed that. At least I don’t have any memory of it. And I should have since I love Grieg’s Peer Gynt!

It’s the only music in the game, I’m sure you would have remembered it. I used to love In the Hall of the Mountain King, but the Witness ruined it for me. I should have turned the sound off after two attempts, like more sensible players did.

Long time ago, but I seem to remember giving up on unlocking a door around the part of the cinema and I failed to understand how to reach certain parts that could be glimpsed through cracks and openings around that part.

If I remember correctly, those parts are only accessible after The Challenge.

EDIT: If you want to see what the Challenge is about, watch this youtube video. No spoilers, hints or tips like in other videos, just random puzzles. Smile

Joined 2021-05-02

PM

One time when messing around I found a long passage way with tons of puzzles and leading me into past areas in the same like Sand Dune and other parts, I for the life of me couldn’t work out what the puzzles were and because they weren’t needed I didn’t spend time on them, but once I got the plat I wandered around that area and solved some of the puzzles on my own, although some were difficult

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top