• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieMy Dune

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Demo of my first game Silent Footsteps!

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2015-05-24

PM

Hi.

I’ve been working on my first game for PC, and it’s almost done. The demo is up on my website now, so welcome. =)
If you are a Carol Reed fan, you will recognize the style right away.
http://frostlindgames.com/index.html

Wow, it was so long ago I posted a picture here, I’ve forgotten how lol.
There are plenty of screenshots on the website you can check out in the meantime.

/Kim

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

I played the demo, and since I am a Carol Reed fan, it looks like it’s going to be fun!

I’m curious about the textured photography throughout the demo. Is this an intentional design choice (and if so, why), and will it be present in the finished game? To me, it’s very distracting. Other than that, I liked what I saw.

Do you anticipate the game to be about the same length as the CR games…3-4 hours?

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Joined 2015-05-24

PM

I really hope it will be fun!

I know from reading all I could find about the Carol Reed games, that some like the filters and some don’t. I tried to not over do it, but that is what the game looks like, and not just the demo. The reason is very simple, I do not have a good enough camera at the moment, and without the filter, it looks bad. I understand if you don’t like it, but hang in there, better camera is coming!  Smile

I’m very pleased you liked it. I’ve been very nervous all day, cause I’ve played it so many times now it’s not possible to be objective.

Length is very difficult to say. I do think it will be about the same as the CR ones, yes.

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

Oh yeah! I’d forgotten about the filtering done in the earlier CR games. Now I remember Mikael talking about how that would go away once HE got a better camera, too. Hopefully your game sells well enough so you can upgrade as soon as you wish.

Keep up the good work!

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Joined 2015-05-24

PM

Exactly, we both do it/did it to make it look better. So even if it’s a bit distracting, it’s still better than without filter.

I have a lot of photos already for a new game, and the camera is a little bit better, so I will have to see if I can do it without filter. Not sure yet.

I can understand those who like it, and those who don’t. I mean, in terms of feeling like you’re actually there walking around, the filter can be disturbing. If I just look at one picture at a time, I think it looks nice. But the reason is not a fashion choice, it was just necessary.

Thank you! I’ll do my best.  Laughing

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Very nice! Can’t get enough of Sweden.

Joined 2015-05-24

PM

Thank you! There’s a lot left to photograph here, so it should be enough for a lot of games.  Tongue

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

I’ve downloaded the game twice on Win 10 and each time I try to run it Windows Defender throws up a warning that it is a harmful program and refuses to play or install it.  I know how to disable Defender but others may not.  Just a heads up.

Joined 2015-05-24

PM

Dara100 - 27 July 2017 04:55 PM

I’ve downloaded the game twice on Win 10 and each time I try to run it Windows Defender throws up a warning that it is a harmful program and refuses to play or install it.  I know how to disable Defender but others may not.  Just a heads up.

Yeah, my own computer wants to stop me from installing as well. I think this happens because not that many has downloaded it yet? Perhaps I should write something on the website about that. Don’t want people to miss out because of it.

EDIT. I know now that the warning will go away, but I tested the link on Explorer, Firefox and Chrome. Explorer is the only one that’s a hassle. The other two are nicer. They tell you the file is not that common (or something), but won’t argue about it. So that’s the way to go.

Total Posts: 5834

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Hi RebKean, wow!  Thumbs Up
I’ve managed to download the demo via Explorer - well actually twice as yes it’s problematic. I tried ‘saving’ it to start with & overriding all the warnings but after installation had to delete as when I tried to launch the game it told me this & that files were missing!
I tried again & this time tried ‘run’, again overriding the warnings but the demo did successfully install this time - I’m too tired tonight to play more than a few minutes but hope this info is useful for anyone using Explorer - I’m still on Win7 64bit BTW!  Smile

Joined 2015-05-24

PM

chrissie - 29 July 2017 02:29 PM

Hi RebKean, wow!  Thumbs Up
I’ve managed to download the demo via Explorer - well actually twice as yes it’s problematic. I tried ‘saving’ it to start with & overriding all the warnings but after installation had to delete as when I tried to launch the game it told me this & that files were missing!
I tried again & this time tried ‘run’, again overriding the warnings but the demo did successfully install this time - I’m too tired tonight to play more than a few minutes but hope this info is useful for anyone using Explorer - I’m still on Win7 65bit BTW!  Smile

I’m also on Win7, 64. But It’s probably different, depending on what firewall you use, I had someone yesterday, who couldn’t override at all. Really annoying that it works fine on Chrome and Firefox, but is such a hassle on Explorer. Well, it’s a hassle since there’s no virus in it, I guess it’s a good thing in general.

I know this will go away in time, since it’s the same problem with Mikael’s games, until a number of people have downloaded the file that is.

But anyway, thanks for the info, and thanks for installing it!  Smile

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I wrote 65 bit instead of 64 bit so pressed quote instead of edit (sorry! been up since 5.30 this morning & didn’t intend another post! Laughing) but the crucial info (whether it works for all) is in Explorer on downloading the demo try ‘run’ rather than ‘save’!  Smile

Joined 2015-05-24

PM

I noticed the 65, but I didn’t want to point it out, in case it sounded a bit picky. Tongue

I get the same message whether I choose run or save, but it’s still good to know that it works for some. I use Microsoft Security Essentials, and you can bypass it there if you choose alternatives or something. But I’m guessing it feels bad if you’re now used to all these warnings. And on top of that, this is my first downloadable file, so who knows who I am?

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Buck up there, Reb.  Smile  I’ve gotten it to play and I’m enjoying it.  Yep, I would have mistaken it for a Carol Reed game, which I love.  The pictures looked fine to my eye.  I would love the option to go to impressionistic mode where the pictures look like the ones in the very first CR games if there’s a filter for that.  I miss those. 

I had the same trouble with it not installing certain files, but when I tried again with the second download it installed.  I use Chrome.  Wish I could suggest a fix for you but I’m out of ideas. 

You’ve got something really good here.

Joined 2015-05-24

PM

Dara100 - 29 July 2017 03:24 PM

Buck up there, Reb.  Smile  I’ve gotten it to play and I’m enjoying it.  Yep, I would have mistaken it for a Carol Reed game, which I love.  The pictures looked fine to my eye.  I would love the option to go to impressionistic mode where the pictures look like the ones in the very first CR games if there’s a filter for that.  I miss those. 

I had the same trouble with it not installing certain files, but when I tried again with the second download it installed.  I use Chrome.  Wish I could suggest a fix for you but I’m out of ideas. 

You’ve got something really good here.

There is a filter for that, but this is my personal favourite, that’s why I used it. And of course I try to not copy everything from the CR games when I have a choice. But it will look almost the same anyway, since I myself love those games, and had a lot of help from Mikael.

u had trouble with Chrome you say? There must be different with the different combinations of computer, firewall and perhaps more stuff. Annoying, but glad it worked in the end.  Smile

Thank you! I hope to keep them coming.  Thumbs Up

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I had some time this morning to complete the demo - very nice RebKean!  Thumbs Up & I’ve been left intrigued enough to want more! (Just hoping the full game will play just as nicely on my 65 bit system Laughing )
Ah, it did take me a while to work out the manoeuvring, although I could see it (after it took me a while to spot in the 1st place}, to get in the right place to click on the 5th birdhouse!  Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top