• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Phoenix Springs - a neonoir / mystery / adventure game

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2017-07-19

PM

Hey everyone,

so 3 of us have been working on an adventure game for the past year. (I always want to say point and click, but I hear it’s divisive - discuss?)

Anyway the game is called Phoenix Springs. We’ve had very nice feedback so far, with great press reviews and Square Enix Collective featuring us on their indie showcase.

And we’re finally launching a Kickstarter on the 1st of August.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/20171617/1484527371?ref=preview&token=ca4a6f10

Also the trailer is here:

As a long time lurker on this website, I wanted to tell Adventure Gamers users before anyone else. This is twofold:

1) We have setup quite a few early-bird rewards. These are only available during the first 4 days.

2) We’d love to hear your feedback!

So please let us know what you think, and I really hope you can help bring this game to life. Also happy to answer any questions / feedback / criticism / adulation here Smile

Now Playing: Disco Elysium (again) Recently Finished: The Case of the Golden Idol DLC Anticipating: Old Skies

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Looks gorgeous, some Suda/Killer 7 influence?
Good luck

Joined 2017-07-19

PM

Oh that’s so weird. I’d completely forgotten about this game but my little brother had it on the GameCube. Maybe it seeped into my subconscious?!

In any case thanks for the kind words!

Now Playing: Disco Elysium (again) Recently Finished: The Case of the Golden Idol DLC Anticipating: Old Skies

Total Posts: 216

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Looks fantastic and the premise sounds very promising. Good luck!

Joined 2017-07-19

PM

Oh thanks so much - preparing a Kickstarter campaign is so nerve-wrecking, any positive feedback is a great morale- boost!

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I really like the look of it too; hopefully not too many action sequences!

Joined 2017-07-19

PM

Hey - I’m trying not to reveal too much, but I can safely say that the game is definitely heavier on atmosphere and mood than action scenes. (In fact, we kinda struggled to find enough of them for the trailer )

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

wilco - 25 July 2017 10:52 AM

Looks gorgeous, some Suda/Killer 7 influence?
Good luck

Interesting! Looking at the clips I was thinking of Suda too, though probably more Flower, Sun and Rain.

Not sure whether I’ll be able to back (my Kickstarter budget isn’t what it once was) but this definitely looks promising! A couple of questions:

Will there be early bird offers on the lower tiers? The lowest I can see at the moment is €180 (down from €200), which doesn’t really seem like an impulse buy.

Is that sand she’s walking on? In those heels?

Good luck Smile

Joined 2017-07-19

PM

Hey - thanks for the message and good wishes -

There are loads of early bird offers (full game starting as low as $10). But because they’re only available during the first 4 days, Kickstarter doesn’t display them yet. This is a poor design choice imo but I’ve just added a note on the page - thanks so much for pointing it out!

Ahh the heels / sand thing… Yeah a few people have commented on it and uh… that’s bad design from us. Video games logic I guess Meh

Oh and one last thing: for boosting visibility, Kickstarter actually counts the number of backers as much as the amounts pledged. So what this means is that even a $1 pledge helps us a lot!

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2017-03-20

PM

Good luck! The visuals look great—the animations are sometimes so natural I almost thought you were doing rotoscope!

I’m excited to learn more about this thriller Smile

Joined 2017-07-19

PM

Thanks a lot! Animation is actually one of our weaknesses, so hopefully the Kickstarter will help us get a better system in place for motion capture. Glad to hear we could fake it though!

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Very nice!  The end of the video gave me goosebumps, and I like the narrator’s voice.  Are you planning the Mac version up front or will it be a stretch goal?

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2017-07-19

PM

Glad you liked the voice! She absolutely nailed the calm / creepy tone of the game I think.

Mac version will be out straight away along with PC and Linux. As a OSX gamer myself (if there’s such a thing), there’s NO WAY I’m contributing to this injustice Smile I can only imagine what poor Linux users must have to deal with…

At the moment the only stretch goals are for translations and console ports.

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

That’s good news, Calligram!  Be sure to post when your campaign goes live.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

calligram - 26 July 2017 05:06 AM

Ahh the heels / sand thing… Yeah a few people have commented on it and uh… that’s bad design from us. Video games logic I guess Meh

Hey I liked the heels. Makes you wonder what she’s doing there and how she got there. It’s the little details that count.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

cyfoyjvx - 27 July 2017 11:40 AM
calligram - 26 July 2017 05:06 AM

Hey I liked the heels. Makes you wonder what she’s doing there and how she got there. It’s the little details that count.

I did like that aspect of the design - she’s not quite dressed for the environment and that’s intriguing. But if she’s wearing them walking around on a soft, sandy surface, that feels a bit jarringly improbable. Now that effect could be deliberate, but unless you’re going for a Suda-esque dissonance they don’t quite work for me.

Maybe she can arrive wearing the heels and then slip them off and change into something more sensible Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top