• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabrielKeybordzLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Best music in an adventure game?

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

One of the best soundtracks to an adventure game

TimovieMan - 07 February 2016 02:38 PM

After all these years, I still prefer the soundtrack of The Dig. The very atmospheric Wagnerian music is oh so beautiful. Fantastic OST!

Agreed, that one still holds at least a steady second place on my list.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2010-08-04

PM

Maybe not ‘the best’, but the only adventure game soundtrack releases I listen to once in a while are:

-Machinarium (so whimsical!)
-Scratches (simple gothic ambient)
-The Old City: Leviathian (it’s by Atrium Carceri, so…)
-Sublustrum & 1953 KGB Unleashed (never played those games, but the music is by audio/visual artist Anthesteria which I listen to anyways (He also did Metro 2033))

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2012-12-22

PM

Henke - 06 June 2016 03:22 PM

One of the best soundtracks to an adventure game

TimovieMan - 07 February 2016 02:38 PM

After all these years, I still prefer the soundtrack of The Dig. The very atmospheric Wagnerian music is oh so beautiful. Fantastic OST!

Agreed, that one still holds at least a steady second place on my list.

The Dig for me too.

Story rich DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and linux for direct download - https://fireflowergames.com/. Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

All the Lucas games had great music, but the ones that stood up for me were Loom and Monkey Island.

I also love the soundtrack in Simon the Sorcerer.

And of course there’s Dune.

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2018-06-11

PM

Ninth - 13 March 2018 12:38 PM

All the Lucas games had great music, but the ones that stood up for me were Loom and Monkey Island.

I also love the soundtrack in Simon the Sorcerer.

And of course there’s Dune.

Loom and Monkey Island is my favorite as well!! Wink

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Randwulf83 - 06 February 2016 10:48 PM

While I’ll always hold Gabriel Knight, Broken Sword and Grim Fandango, among others, at the top of my list of best PC AG soundtracks, I’ll still hold a soft spot for one of my faves, the soundtrack to the NES version of Maniac Mansion. Dave’s Theme, in particular, really matches the period of the game.

Man, that reminds me of this:

All those cheesy 80s theme songs kind of sound the same.

For me nothing really comes close to Gabriel Knight, in this regard.  Lots of games have good music, but no adventure games music is near as iconic as GK’s for me.  I more think of games from other genres, like Zelda, when it comes to memorable themes.  Possibly because they’re played constantly throughout the game.

Heavy Rain and Ace Attorney are good call outs too though.

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

While you guys are busy posting crappy 80s synth-rock, I’ll just leave this here. Not one of my favorite games but you have to give credit to the music.

Also, one of the better Daedelic games:

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2016-12-18

PM

Technobabylon and Oxenfree

Total Posts: 60

Joined 2017-08-22

PM

Pretty much all of the Amanita design games, especially Machinarium and Samorost 2.

I make stuff:
twitter @Mammothtree

and scream loudly:
https://signorojo.bandcamp.com/

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2011-12-30

PM

Of all the numerous adventure game OSTs I’ve ever heard, I’d say YU-NO:A girl who chants love at the bound of this world is the “greatest”. Some of the highlights of the OST include “Contact”, “Other World”, “Those Who Leave”, “Temple”, “Bonds”, “Movement 2”, “Mio” and “Sword Cape”. It utilizes old-school FM synthesis sound (it’s from an old PC-98 game after all), but is extremely sophisticated from a music theory standpoint.

Ryu Umemoto, who composed the vast majority (~90%) of the tracks, was a genius and a math prodigy - I’d rank him among the all-time top 3 or 5 best video game composers. Read more about him here and here.

The game is quite obscure in the West (no English translation existed until 2011) but holds a legendary status in Japan, and an official English release is planned for 2019.

Ninth - 13 March 2018 12:38 PM

Loom’s soundtrack is actually Swan Lake by Tchaikovsky.

Incidentally, if you play Loom in MT-32 mode an overture appears:

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2013-09-25

PM

Always absolutely loved the Gabriel Knight 3 soundtrack. Used to listen to that all the time.

Machinarium is incredible too.

The Last Window: The Secret of Cape West on the DS had a phenomenal soundtrack - it’s probably the one I still listen to the most!

Cloak and Dagger Games: http://cadgames.co.uk

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I really like Michael Land’s and Robert Holmes’ music, both wrote incredibly good and memorable soundtracks. But my favourite would be probably the Zork: Nemesis and Zork: Grand Inquisitor OSTs by Mark Morgan of Fallout and Planescape: Torment fame (actually it was the other way around). His other credits include Dark Seed II and Stasis which I find amusing. Also love The Neverhood and Pathologic soundtracks, but for completely different reasons. Riven also had some amazing ambient composed by one of the Millers (those talented devils), but I have scattered memories of that game, needs a replay.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

State of Mind’s soundtrack is absolutely amazing. You can listen to the whole thing right here:

It’s actually one of my favourite soundtracks in any game, adventure or not. Other than that I love Blade Runner, Gabriel Knight series especially III, TLJ, Dreamfall, Dreamfall Chapters and Full Throttle. Only ones I can really remember right now.

Although if I’m not mistaken I think the soundtracks in the Syberia series and even Paradise wasn’t too shabby either..?

Also the song choices in Tales From the Borderlands

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

For me it would be Hugo 2: Whodunit. Just gorgeouos, breathtaking music. Everyone should play it.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Thanks for sharing the Last Window soundtrack, I loved the game so I have to listen too the OST now. Amazing.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top