• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Your Best/Worst Voice Acting in AGs

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

1) Homunculus from Shadow Of Destiny / Shadow Of Memories. I don’t think I could ever be able to forget her / his voice, so incredibly creepy, but strangely sexy .. besides it’s perfect for the character. Love it! <3

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2013-08-18

PM

Sefir - 26 September 2014 07:21 AM

Like Portal 1/2 for example.
Or, most rescently, The Stanley Parable.

Seconding this. VA in Portal 2 was wonderful (especially Stephen Merchant), and The Stanley Parable is worth playing just for the narration. Heck, the game IS the narration, and controlling Stanley just to hear more of Kevan Brighting talk.

I hate to say it, but I think a great game ruined by bad VA was Tim Curry in GK1. Too hammy, I had to turn it off and just use the subtitles.

A game that is great inspite of the terrible VA of the main character: The Lost Crown. So bad it’s fun to listen to. My ex and I still make fun of it years later, and it’s one of my all time favourite games.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Somehow, the Wadjet games have great VA, this really adds to the games. Technobabylon especially had great VA.

The only game I thought had bad VA was Legacy: Dark Shadows, it was obvious they used the same actor for several characters. I still loved the game despite its low budget production, poor VA, antiquated graphics and poor animation.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Mikekelly - 18 May 2018 09:52 PM

The only game I thought had bad VA was Legacy: Dark Shadows, it was obvious they used the same actor for several characters.

This is not really a problem on its own. A lot of the most popular and best regarded cartoons do the same, using very a small circle of actors for all the characters.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I could not agree more if professional voice actors are used. In Legacy: Dark Shadows, the voice actors seemed to be company employees, like the janitor. So they went up to the company janitor, and said, when you finished scrubbing the toilets, we have some voice acting to do.

Then he did about 10 characters, 5 of them with a closepin on his nose to make him sound different. Yes it was that bad.

Despite this, I actually reviewed the game at the time and was one of the very few people who gave it a positive review, although I did warn about all the games massive faults.

Why? It was very Cyberpunky. The story was full of all those things you want in a Cyberpunk game, cool tech, dystopian atmosphere and some actually fun puzzles.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Mikekelly - 20 May 2018 04:25 PM

I could not agree more if professional voice actors are used. In Legacy: Dark Shadows, the voice actors seemed to be company employees, like the janitor. So they went up to the company janitor, and said, when you finished scrubbing the toilets, we have some voice acting to do.

Then he did about 10 characters, 5 ofthem with a closepin on his nose to make him sound different. Yes it was that Heart

Laughing  That’s got to be the funniest impression of the voice-acting in a game I’ve actually played! Unfortunately I don’t remember it & couldn’t finish it at the time on account of some bug later on .... grr!

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

You are going to have to replay it sometime for the full voice acting experience!

Heart

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Maybe my expectations are set too high but I find voice-acting in plenty of the games I play a little ropey.  It’s almost never enough to spoil my enjoyment, however.

For low budget, Art of Murder: FBI Confidential stands out and for a higher budget game, Memento Mori had some characters who were quite poorly voiced, but I still really enjoyed that one.

Unfortunately, it’s the worst that stand out in my mind, the best just tend to seem natural.  For some reason Discworld is one of the better ones I’m remembering right now - with the excellent Tony Robinson iirc.

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

dumbeur - 23 May 2018 07:30 AM

For some reason Discworld is one of the better ones I’m remembering right now - with the excellent Tony Robinson iirc.

I totally second this. In fact for me Discworld has the best voice acting bar none.
It helps if you’re a Monty Python’s fan, though. :-)

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Who isn’t? Wink

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

I’m a Monty Python fan, but not a Monty Python fan fan.

I thought I’d left a comment earlier, but it’s gone! I’ll try and remember what it said:

2. The Watchmaker. A game made with a lot of love and ambition but too many flaws, and the voice acting was perhaps the most serious of them.

I don’t think I have strong enough answers for the other questions, but just to add to the discussion:

I get the impression I’m in the minority, but I quite liked Sadwick. He’s annoying and miserable, but there’s a warmth and (rather dark) humour there too - I couldn’t help but smile at lines like “I love candlelight. It reminds me of my mother’s grave.”

A favourite individual performance: Sarah Elmaleh as Jamie in The Blackwell Deception. So poignant - she’s always good, but that one character stands out for me.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top