• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Look for post-apocalyptic adventure games

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2019-01-02

PM

If you know any, I’ll be very grateful!
Hope big gammers community may help me with this little problem.
Thanks in advance Innocent

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Welcome raspberry to Adventure Gamers! Smile
I can only think of a few post-apocalyptic games just now: Shardlight, Dead Synchronicity - Tomorrow Comes Today & Doc Apocalypse. I’m sure there’s a few more that other members can suggest.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Aren’t the Tex Murphy games post-apocalyptic?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Yeah, i recommend Dead Synchronicity too: quite dark, 2014 release, if you would like something new jump straight into this one.

Blade Runner: loyal to the original movie with some different endings twists; up to 12 or 13! could feel like a narrative-driven adventures sometimes, so ahead of its time.

Nightlong: Union City Conspiracy: 2D PnC with solid everything, from acting to gameplaying, puzzles, great mood!.. bit old, but still holding up.

Perry Rhodan: one of the greatest adventures i ever played, too underrated, must play (IMO)

A New Beginning: Kinda light approach, h to the subject, but nice atmosphere and puzzles (but not always), 2010 release and havent aged a bit.

Beneath a Steel Sky: Must play! old! but the Classic!

The Silent Age: Recomded for touch screen playing too, very causal.

Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth: old and too wierd, read some review first before you make up your mind.

AlternativA: nice Blade Runner atmosphere, but feels cheap around the edges

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Advie - 02 January 2019 03:48 PM

The Silent Age: Recomded for touch screen playing too, very causal.

That’s one game that sprung to mind but it’s a while since I’ve played it so wasn’t sure that you could describe it as post-apocalyptic? I would argue that although you can get it from BigFish that it falls into the category of ‘Casual’?  Smile

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

you can argue Chrissie as you want, bc you are right, its not ‘very’ (dont know where this had come from) causal, but its kinda

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

No Advie, it’s not a hard game but beyond Adventure Lite.  Smile

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

Games with (semi?) futuristic sci-fi conspiracies and/or dystopian settings that aren’t necessarily “post-apocalyptic” might also be of interest (or not!) such as Resonance, Gemini Rue, Technobabylon, STASIS, The Moment of Silence, Primordia and Culpa Innata.

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

I always get confused about the difference between post-apocalyptic and futuristic or cyberpunk. Is there a difference? I would not usually have thought of Blade Runner or Technobabylon as post-apocalyptic as there has not been an apocalypse. Post-apocalyptic I would put as something like Mad Max where something really bad has happened that made the whole society break down.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Most have already been mentioned.

Shardlight
Stasis
Silent Age
Dead Synchronicity
The Tex Murphy games
I have no mouth, and I must scream
A New Beginning
Primordia

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2019-01-02

PM

Advie - 02 January 2019 03:48 PM

Blade Runner: loyal to the original movie with some different endings twists; up to 12 or 13! could feel like a narrative-driven adventures sometimes, so ahead of its time.

Wow! Never thought Blade Runner has a game version. I’ve read a book and liked it so much, hope the game is interesting too.
BTW it’s not a post-apocalyptic genre, but I appreciate good cyberpunk too.
Thanks!

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

cyfoyjvx - 02 January 2019 07:33 PM

I always get confused about the difference between post-apocalyptic and futuristic or cyberpunk. Is there a difference?

Yes difference.
Very much difference.
BIG difference.

For instance, Stasis mentioned in this thread is futuristic, has some cyberpunk elements, but is not at all post-apocalyptic.

Post-apocalyptic: something that happens after the world as we know it has come to an end after a great disaster of some kind. Often this is used in all kind of post-WWIII stories, where nukes have demolished the world and killed most of its population etc. Note that apocalypse doesn’t need to be futuristic scifi, as it can also be a historical world that has been destroyed by god(s) and so on.

Futuristic: refers quite obviously to the future. Mostly this means scifi that takes place in the future, but it can also mean retro-futuristic visual things, such as futuristic designs from the 60s or something.
If you know Futuro house, that’s futuristic, but it’s also a thing from the past, and it’s real, not scifi at all.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futuro

Cyberpunk: a form of science fiction that is a bit tricky to define exactly. Mostly it means some kind of artificial life, or biological life that has been expanded with cybernetics and implants, which is what the term cyberpunk implies. Note that not all science fiction is cyberpunk.
Cyberpunk could best be described as a form of story-telling that is fascinated and inspired by artificial life and such, kind of like steampunk is story-telling that is creating alternative timelines where most technology is based on big steam engines and technology derived from those.

Of course you can have a post-apocalyptic futuristic setting with cyberpunk things, so in some cases they all come to the same place together.

Anyway, they are all good and create nice settings for good stories. Heart

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Great explanation, GateKeeper.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

GateKeeper - 03 January 2019 05:10 AM

Cyberpunk: a form of science fiction that is a bit tricky to define exactly. Mostly it means some kind of artificial life, or biological life that has been expanded with cybernetics and implants, which is what the term cyberpunk implies.

Well.. not really because it doesn’t factor in the “punk” aspect and the injustices, class imbalances, poverty, and social disorder seen in cyberpunk dystopias.

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Yeah no games like Blade Runner are definitely NOT post apocalyptic. It just takes place in a dystopian future (which is actually supposed to be this year lol).

I would actually love a proper modern post apocalyptic adventure game. Something like Fallout or Mad Max, but adventure. Don’t know why it hasn’t been done more often.

Anyway, no one’s mentioned The Walking Dead games yet, the best of all post apocalyptic adventure games. Only other games I’ve played are Beneath a Steel Sky and A New Beginning.

You might also be interested in Tales From the Borderlands. It’s also not post apocalyptic but it definitely looks like it should be and has that Mad Max vibe to it. A must play for sure.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

McCoy97 - 03 January 2019 06:43 AM

I would actually love a proper modern post apocalyptic adventure game. Something like Fallout or Mad Max, but adventure. Don’t know why it hasn’t been done more often.

You can actually find a lot of titles, but the problem is that they are not big releases, some do not really fit adventure genre, some are incorrectly labeled post-apocalyptic, some are not completed projects, etc. In other words, it’s very hard to find something that can be recommended to others.

But this link alone lists 86 titles:

http://itch.io/games/genre-adventure/tag-post-apocalyptic

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top