• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrelzobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #50: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

- How did you follow the servant? With or without the red fez?

This is another instance where I didn’t realize or remember there being 2 solutions. Most likely because I was too focused on the red dot therefore not noticing the gray dot. Only afterwards, during my hunt for missing points, did I discover the other solution.

- What did you think of Omar’s personality change in this path? It’s the only time he’s unhelpful and even outright hostile…

It did seem a bit odd, especially after playing the other 2 paths, but at least we finally found an interesting use for the closet. I found it funny though that Omar could actually get locked in it in the first place. Why didn’t he reach his fingers through and unlock it himself, or better yet just knock down the flimsy looking door, lol.

- What’s your favourite puzzle or minigame from this section?

The car chase scene was a nice addition, it was very reminiscent of the classic chase scenes in the Indy films. I also liked the more fleshed out Thera section. I very much enjoyed working out how to find the necessary items that were required in order to build our own hot air balloon. I will agree though, I couldn’t for the life of me remember where the invoice was. Had to resort to a walkthrough. I had completely forgotten about having to close the crate, very sneaky!

- Now that we’ve played through the Fists, Team and Wits path, which of the three is your favourite, and why?

The Fists path felt more like the action of the Indy films but unfortunately lacked in locations and enjoyment. The Wits path felt more like your typical inventory based puzzle game, it had more locations and was much more enjoyable but it just felt incomplete without Sophia. Therefore, my favorite path was the Team path. It had the most locations and was the most enjoyable having Sophia by our side and being able to communicate and work together in their silly snarky love/hate kind of way, just like in the films.

All in all, the 3 paths had enough variation that it was definitely worth playing through them all. Smile

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sir Beardalot - 12 January 2019 08:11 PM

This is another instance where I didn’t realize or remember there being 2 solutions. Most likely because I was too focused on the red dot therefore not noticing the gray dot. Only afterwards, during my hunt for missing points, did I discover the other solution.

I’m in the same boat. After all these years, and after playing this game dozens of times, I thought I knew all there was to know about it.

I still learned a couple of new things in this CPT. Cool

All in all, the 3 paths had enough variation that it was definitely worth playing through them all. Smile

My thoughts exactly. Which is why I wanted to include all three paths in the same playthrough.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2012-12-29

PM

I followed the servant with the red fez for this play through.  Although, I do remember when I played this game when it first came out that I followed him without the fez.  I didn’t figure out to get the fez from the other guy that time.

I’ve always preferred the helpful Omar.  But then, I originally played the game on the team path so that’s always had the strongest resonance for me (it’s like your first Bond, right?  Connery hands down!).

Favourite puzzle or mini game for me in this section is the car chase.  I really like the music that accompanies it and Trottier’s reaction after the crash is fantastic!

Each of the paths have aspects that I enjoy, but my favourite is definitely the Team path because you get the most interaction between Indy and Sophia on it.  I love the path structure overall as it seems like a pretty clever way to reuse game assets to add replayability into the game without necessarily incurring all of the production costs of creating completely distinct paths through the game.  And the one big choice of path I found to be much more meaningful than any of the “important” choices in Telltale’s offerings (as a for instance).

While waiting for each installment of the CPT I’ve also been rereading Dark Horse’s comic book adaptation of Fate of Atlantis.  It’s like one of those weird book-to-movie adaptations where the movie people take the title, the names of a few characters, and one or two broad plot points and then go off in their own direction.  Very…different.  I’ll post more about it once the final leg is done to compare and contrast it to the game.

Check out my adventure game series Sleuthhounds!

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

Sabacc - 15 January 2019 10:50 PM

While waiting for each installment of the CPT I’ve also been rereading Dark Horse’s comic book adaptation of Fate of Atlantis.  It’s like one of those weird book-to-movie adaptations where the movie people take the title, the names of a few characters, and one or two broad plot points and then go off in their own direction.  Very…different.  I’ll post more about it once the final leg is done to compare and contrast it to the game.

That reminds me of Indiana Jones and the Iron Phoenix, the comic Dark Horse’s did that was based on the cancelled sequel to FoA. It’s really a shame it got cancelled. I’m pretty sure it would have been another classic!

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Finished the game once again. Still one of my absolute favourites.

I remembered to pick up the ladder after using it at the entrance since that was something that I cursed long and hard over during my first playthrough. However, I did not remember to pick up the cogwheel after using it on the orichalcum machine nor did I pick up the pin after using it to free Sophia. “Nur-Ab-Sal made me do it” still cracks me up.

Sir Beardalot - 16 January 2019 01:08 AM
Sabacc - 15 January 2019 10:50 PM

That reminds me of Indiana Jones and the Iron Phoenix, the comic Dark Horse’s did that was based on the cancelled sequel to FoA. It’s really a shame it got cancelled. I’m pretty sure it would have been another classic!

The FoA comic left out a lot of the lore about Atlantis and for some odd reason added one of Jones students to the plot which seemed weird from what I remember.

Want to remember that there were a few parts in The Iron Phoenix comic that seemed like they were based on some potentially great game puzzles. The artifact that was being pursued felt a bit uninspired although very entertaining.

I seriously need to reread both though.    Crazy

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 2070

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Finished the Wits path and the whole game. The Team path was definitely the best one - not only it was more fun to travel along with Sophia, but it was generally better written and designed compared to the other two. Despite the name, I thought the Wits had weaker puzzles (and too many mini-games) and locations such as Algiers, submarine and especially Crete were criminally underused. Maybe only Thera was given a better treatment, but the puzzles there were too easy and uninventive. I guess FoA was designed as a team game from the beginning and only then the other two paths were added.

The most boring part in my mind - the caves - was left almost unchanged in all three paths which was another poor design choice. And the final labyrinth wasn’t changed at all and was way too long. I wish it ended somewhere after Indi had found Sophia. So basically my ideal Fate of Atlantis would be the first part + the Team path with some additions from the Wits path (car chase/Thera) and an optional ability to fight Nazis + the shortened version of the last part. Frankly I thought the rest was a waste of time, especially the hot air balloon mini-game, the orichalcum hunting, the crab machine and the lava room. It is still amusing that they went on to create three different paths, put personally I would be more happy with one linear, but perfectly designed game where I can get all the best parts from the very start.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

So, it’s Sunday, January 20th (well, there are some countries where it’s still Sunday at least) and I’m guessing most of you have finished the game.
If not, take your time, the thread’s not going anywhere.

Some end-of-game questions:

- Does Atlantis change your mind about your favourite location in the game? Is there a specific screenshot that you like best?

- What’s your favourite puzzle in the Atlantis section? How about in the entire game?

- Did you get the best ending? Or did Sophia not make it, either by not releasing her from prison, or by not freeing her from Nur-Ab-Sal’s possession? If you didn’t get the best ending, did you try again?

- If you went for a high IQ Points score, how much did you get in a single playthrough, and how much in total?

- What’s your opinion on the colour palette changes during the ending cutscene? By that I mean the lighting in the screens you run through while Atlantis crumbles, and the day-sunset-twilight-dusk-night transition during the end credits.

- So, what’s your opinion of this game in general? All-time classic? Overrated drivel? Something in-between? Discuss!

In true Indiana Jones fashion, Indy saves the world and gets the girl, so what better way to wrap the playthrough up than with a big damn kiss?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Waiting to see what everyone else has said first means I have a bit of backlog on my own questions to answer, so here goes:

FISTS path

- What do you think of the “your eyes are adjusting to the darkness a little” way that dark places become slightly more visible? Have you seen this used in other games as well?

I absolutely love this idea and I have always wished more games employed it. In fact, it has always baffled me that I’ve never seen this used anywhere else. This game is over 25 years old, if they could do it then, they certainly can do it now…

- Which fights did you actually fight? Did you use the “sucker-punch” often? Or did you perhaps cheat with the ScummVM console command?

I fought all of them without the suckerpunch for the sake of hunting all the IQ points. I did use the cheat console command for Hans and Arnold, because I find them impossible to beat normally. But I suck at blocking, so more often than not, I just don’t, which makes it even harder.
I used to avoid most of the fights, or use the sucker-punch whenever possible, so this was actually a first for me.

- What’s your favourite location from this section? Is it your favourite location in the game, or is that still the one from the earlier part?

Even though it’s not really fleshed out in this path, I very much like the Thera location in the game. And in this path I also really like the boat, although that could simply be because that’s the only location that’s unique for this path.
My overall favourite location in the game is probably still the Azores.

TEAM path

- How did you obtain Trottier’s stone? Did you answer his questions, or spook him?

I spooked him, but then I went back and did the questions for the sake of IQ points.
Unless specifically chasing the questions, I always spook him. Because it’s more fun and doesn’t rely on luck (or save-scumming).

- Did you fight the submarine captain, or did you run away?

This may actually have been the very first time I ever fought him, because I don’t recall seeing that ridiculously short health bar before. Guess I’m not a STOWaway, but more like a RUNaway. Grin

- What’s your favourite location from this section? What did you think of its differences with the Fists path?

I like the Algiers market because it’s a lot more lively in the Team path (and “volunteering” Sophia is just too much fun), and I love the submarine section because it’s fun and because I actually like the steering minigame… Tongue

- What’s your favourite Indy-Sophia interaction? How does Sophia score as a sidekick? Annoying? Fun? A good counterbalance for Indy? A nuisance?

I’ve always loved all the banter between these two. Standout moments perhaps, are “volunteering” for the knife-thrower, having to admit that you’re scared of snakes in Crete, and teaming up against her guard in the submarine.
The constant banter makes her great as a sidekick, imo. The interactions are fun, and she’s not always in distress making her more like Marion Ravenwood (from Raiders of the Lost Ark) than Willie Scott (from Temple of Doom), which is a plus. Makes her a pretty decent counterbalance, imo.

WITS path

- How did you follow the servant? With or without the red fez?

I’ve always followed him WITH the red fez, because it’s only in hunting the IQ points that I even realized you could follow him without… Smile

- What did you think of Omar’s personality change in this path? It’s the only time he’s unhelpful and even outright hostile…

I’m actually surprised this is the only notable personality change in the game. It did allow for more puzzles, and I love the “I spit in your face! PATOOUIEE!” quote. Grin

- What’s your favourite puzzle or minigame from this section?

It’s possibly because it’s unique to this path, but I quite like the car chase in Monaco.

- Now that we’ve played through the Fists, Team and Wits path, which of the three is your favourite, and why?

This is actually a hard question. I like the wits path, because it has the most puzzles and a fun car chase minigame, but I also really like the team path because that has a fun séance, a good Algiers section and a submarine minigame that I like.
The easiest part of this question is declaring the Fists path my least favourite, but even that path has several things going for it and it very much captures the action-y movie feel.

I think I’ve always declared the Wits path my favourite, but seeing how the end-game interactions with Sophia work better if there’s been more contact throughout the whole adventure, I think that maybe the Team path has become my favourite?
It definitely makes the entire game work better. And coincidentally, it’s the first path I ever played through (before I even realized there were different branches).

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

And for the game’s end, let me be one of the first to answer my questions for a change. Grin

- Does Atlantis change your mind about your favourite location in the game? Is there a specific screenshot that you like best?

Not really. I really like the Atlantis section, especially the lava-infused inner ring, but my favourite location probably remains the Azores.
I do have a particular fondness for all the detailed close-up screens in the game, like the idol in your hand in the opening, or Sophia’s necklace, or the “macrotaur” ride.

- What’s your favourite puzzle in the Atlantis section? How about in the entire game?

I actually quite like fixing the center piece of the giant door-opening robot. Especially because it’s been clued-in properly (with an instruction panel that can be found).
As for in the entire game, while I quite like steering the U-boat and chasing cars in Monaco, my favourite puzzle in the entire game is probably still finding Plato’s Lost Dialogue. Possibly because I never know in advance just at what particular location I’m going to find it… Tongue

- Did you get the best ending? Or did Sophia not make it, either by not releasing her from prison, or by not freeing her from Nur-Ab-Sal’s possession? If you didn’t get the best ending, did you try again?

The only times I *didn’t* get the best ending was when I was actively chasing the bad ones (after spending years not even realizing there even were bad endings - the same happened with The Dig, btw).
It just feels natural to try and release / save Sophia as soon as you possibly can.

- If you went for a high IQ Points score, how much did you get in a single playthrough, and how much in total?

I’ll just leave this here for bragging rights:

Cool

- What’s your opinion on the colour palette changes during the ending cutscene? By that I mean the lighting in the screens you run through while Atlantis crumbles, and the day-sunset-twilight-dusk-night transition during the end credits.

Love it! The difference in colour scheme once lava enters the equation is gorgeous. I particularly love the lighting here and here.
The sunset transition is very smooth and hardly noticeable if you don’t pay attention to it. I love how realistically the stars become gradually more visible. Again, just like the eye-adjusting in the dark, it baffles me that this hasn’t been replicated in other games. If they could do it with the available technology in 1992, why didn’t others do this too?

- So, what’s your opinion of this game in general? All-time classic? Overrated drivel? Something in-between? Discuss!

Well, this is a 5-star game in my book. Possibly my all-time favourite game. Definitely the game I go to when I need a quick AG fix.
It’s the game I’ve played and replayed most of all (and after all this time it still managed to catch me by surprise in this CPT because chasing the IQ points revealed a few things I never noticed before).

It’s also the game that made me fall in love with the genre way back when, as it’s one of the first adventure games I’ve ever played, so it’ll always hold a special place in my heart…

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

I think they did a really good job with Atlantis. It’s not your typical Atlantis stereotype of Greek/Roman design and mythology. Instead they went with a Pre-Columbian design, along with ancient machinery and lava. A good choice in my opinion. I can’t say it’s my favorite location though, I still would have to go with Algiers or Tikal or maybe even Azores, it had a really nice panning effect and a great view. Also, I agree that the closeups added a nice touch. Sofia’s necklace closeup is classic!

I also liked the giant robot door puzzle. It was the most satisfying to solve in my opinion. The orichalcum machine and macrotaur were pretty cool too. As for the entire game, ironically I as well like the Plato’s Lost Dialogue puzzle the most just because it’s always random and I enjoy rummaging through all the rooms and antiquities in classic Indy style. Smile

I’m pretty sure the first time I played it I got the best ending. I knew you could complete the game without rescuing Sophia so I’ve done that before too, intentionally of course. Something I didn’t know until this playthrough was the third possible ending where Indy attempts godhood and it fails, turning him into the green demon like mist that vaporizes. Once again, it never ceases to amaze me how I continue to discover new things in games I’ve played numerous times. Grin

I don’t remember how many I got in a single playthrough but I did get all 1000 points. Something I had never done before, thanks to the console cheat I discovered. Tongue I think at this point it’s safe to say I’ve finally seen all this game has to offer… or have I?!

I think the color palette changes were a fantastic addition that surprisingly has never been used before or since then as far as I know. For pixel art it’s quite an amazing accomplishment! I think the ending credits for this game are the best of any I’ve ever seen. I actually enjoyed watching them all the way through. Who doesn’t enjoy a beautiful sunset accompanied by a great soundtrack! Smile

- So, what’s your opinion of this game in general? All-time classic? Overrated drivel? Something in-between?

FoA is definitely a go-to classic. It’s not perfect but it’s a true Indiana Jones adventure game in every sense of the word. The graphics and locations are gorgeous and fascinating. The soundtrack is on point. The puzzles are fun, although sometimes a bit nonsensical. And as we discovered in this playthrough, it has great replayability! All in all, it’s an amazing piece of work, or maybe I’m just biased because I’m a huge Indiana Jones fan! Tongue

TimovieMan, thanks for taking the time to put together this amazing CPT! You did an outstanding job setting up each section and making them even more interesting with the addition of questions and fun facts. Hats off to you my friend!  Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up

Joined 2012-12-29

PM

Overall I’d have to say my favourite location is probably the submarine.  I like the cutaway view that they used there and that you can go sneaking around below decks and get into the safety deposit box and shoot yourself out of a torpedo tube and, and, and… :-) 

Atlantis itself always felt a little underwhelming given how empty and spread out most of it is, but I really like the bits with freeing Sophia from the cell and from Nur-Ab-Sal, the octopus (throwing a crab to him makes me laugh), and of course the final encounter with the Nazis.

In Atlantis my favourite puzzle was freeing Sophia from Nur-Ab-Sal.  When I originally played the game there were no online walkthroughs and I didn’t have a hint book and it was one of the first few adventures I played so I wasn’t very experienced.  By the time I got to Sophia being possessed I had completely forgotten that you could put the necklace in the box.  So it was a great moment for me when I remembered that and was able to free Sophia.

I went for the best ending on this play through simply because that final moment between Indy and Sophia feels most in line with the movies.  With the exception of Last Crusade all the films end with Indy getting the girl (or in the case of Marion in her two films, the girl getting Indy).

I wasn’t particularly playing for points and I’ve had the game loaded on my computer for a while so I don’t know what points came out of this play through.  But my final totals are 588 and 921.

While in Atlantis I like the palette shifting they use for different effects.  In the airlock we again get details slowly coming in from darkness as Indy’s eyes adjust to the gloom.  And in the lava fields we get the nicely flowing lava.  But the effect I really like is in some of the rooms, especially in the inner corridor where Nur-Ab-Sal possesses Sophia where, as you walk between lights in the rooms, one light dims and another glows more brightly.  And of course I really liked the sunset at the end of the game, especially the way the stars slowly emerge.

I also enjoyed some of the little touches they put into the Atlantis section, like the random numbers of crabs in rooms that scurry away when Indy gets too close.  Or how you can TRY to use the stein from the submarine in the lava room to collect the lava.  And the fact that you can, in an un-Indy maneuver, just abandon Sophia to Nur-Ab-Sal, with her going down with Atlantis later.

This has always been my favourite LucasArts game so I may be more than a little biased when I say it’s an all-time classic.  Like so many other LucasArts titles they just got so many things right with this game.  Good fun.

TimovieMan, I’d like to add my thanks to you for setting up this CPT.  Lots of fun and I even learned a few new things about this game that I’ve been playing since the 90’s.

And now, as promised, a (not so) quick summary of Dark Horse’s comic adaptation to show how it compares to the game.  Spoilers for the comic (and to a lesser extent the game), obviously.  This is gonna take multiple posts.  Trust me!

In the comic, the story starts with Indy in a dream sequence where he’s about to be sacrificed to a pack of crocodiles by irate natives.  He wakes up and the story cuts to Barnett College where he’s now teaching a class on ancient arrowheads.  He embarrasses a jock student of his, who is unable to identify the arrowheads.  A tall, elderly gentleman with white hair and moustache (later revealed to be Klaus Kerner and bearing no resemblance to Kerner from the game) enters, identifies the arrowheads, and then produces a prong shaped ancient key for Indy to investigate.
Indy and Marcus go to the archeology storage room and find the horned statue from the game’s intro.  Indy speaks of the Jastro expedition in negative terms with the implication being that he wasn’t part of it.  Indy unlocks the statue and then Kerner arrives and takes the orichalcum bead inside before trying to shoot Indy and Marcus.
Kerner misses and runs outside.  He jumps into a waiting getaway car and Indy grabs onto the back.  The jock student shows up and interferes and he and Indy fall from the car, but with Kerner’s jacket, which contains the Nazi’s ID, revealing who he really is.  The jacket also has a newspaper identifying Sophia Hapgood (who Indy waffles back and forth on calling either SophiE or SophiA, mostly the former, throughout the whole story).
Indy travels to New York where Sophia is hosting a private party for members from high society.  Sophia describes Atlantis as having great technology, including anti-gravity.  She briefly mentions a beaded necklace that she has that was supposed to allow priestesses of Atlantis to speak with Nur-Ab-Sal, but unlike in the game, she doesn’t claim the spirit can speak to her and the necklace does not have a medallion into which an orichalcum bead can be inserted.  The whole setup is a con to try to get the high society people to give her a lot of money before she plans to run out.  Indy shows up and ruins the con by claiming to be part of the commission on fraud and confidence games.
Indy and Sophia argue and Indy shows her the horned statue, which Kerner does not steal in the comic.  Here Indy indicates that both he and Sophia were indeed on the Jastro expedition.  Indy wants to search through the artifacts that Sophia kept from the expedition which come from all manner of civilizations.
During the night, Kerner and a couple of goons break into Sophia’s apartment.  A fight ensues and Sophia shoots one of the goons in the leg before Indy kicks him out the high rise window.  The other goon and Kerner get away with some of the artifacts.  Kerner shoots the other goon.

Joined 2012-12-29

PM

During the fight, Indy himself took a slug in the shoulder.  He spends some time in hospital while Kerner goes back to Germany to me Doctor Uberman, who is short, pudgy, and wears a monocle.  Uberman puts the orichalcum bead in the mouth of an Atlantean statue Kerner managed to steal and smashes out of the building in a fashion similar to the game, before then digging its way down to the molten core of the earth.
The jock student visits Indy in the hospital who turns him into his personal gofer.  Sophia comes to visit and arrives just in time to hit a female Nazi spy over the head with her purse before the spy can shoot Indy.
Sufficiently recovered, Indy and Sophia fly to Greenland to meet an archeologist working the only Jastro dig.  The comic writers decided to change his name to Thorskald and he’s already frozen before Indy and Sophia have a chance to talk to him.  Indy recovers another horned statue from Throskald and narrowly escapes a geyser in the cave where Throskald is frozen.
Indy and Sophia next travel to the Azores but don’t meet with Costa at all.  Instead they meet a local guide named Rodrigo who leads them to a cave that is a stash of Atlantean artifacts that Jastro hid after his expedition.  They find some orichalcum beads and a couple more horned statues.  Sophia shows her first signs of psychic abilities when she tells Indy that he’d be insulting their guide if he paid as she psychically knows the guide has renounced all worldly goods.
Indy and Sophia fly to the Yucatan to meet Charles Sternhardt who is a dealer in antiquities in the comic.  After showing him one of the statues he guides Indy and Sophia to an old temple that is even older than the Mayan civilization.  Before they go into the temple, Sophia says her spirit god, Nur-Ab-Sal, will protect her but that it’s dangerous for Indy.
They go inside and Sophia touches a spiral design on a wall.  A tomb opens and they find a disfigured skeleton with an amulet on it.
Meanwhile, Brody, back at the college, receives a communique from one Hector Uribe about a matter of life and death.  He heads to Spain to meet Uribe who says that Kerner has been there and will kill anyone looking for Atlantean artifacts.  Kerner stole everything except for one piece, which Uribe’s daughter gives to Brody.
Back in the temple Indy and Sophia fall through a trap door to an alligator pit.  Fortunately the alligators all died years ago.  Returning to the nearby town, Indy receives a cable from Brody to meet him in Leningrad.
Indy and Sophia meet Brody at a museum with Vladimir Radichenko, the curator.  Vladimir mentions the lost dialogue of Plato and how there are only two copies on earth, one at his museum.  Just then they hear gunshots.  Kerner has arrived to steal the manuscript.  A fight ensues and Kerner again escapes, taking the dialogue with him.  Vladimir says the only other copy is in the Dunlop Collection back in Barnett College.
The comic skips the return to Barnett College and instead rejoins Indy and Sophia on horseback in Morocco.  They very briefly describe the Nazi’s needing orichalcum to take over the world, which is about all that’s covered from the dialogue of Plato at this point.  Sophia mentions she’s contact one C. Trottier to buy back some relics she previously sold him.  In a cutaway we’re shown that Kerner has already found and killed Trottier.
The pair have come to Morocco to investigate a dig overseen by “that sleazoid Omar Al-Jabbar”.  In a confusing seen in the wilds, Doctor Ubermann attacks Indy and Sophia from a motrocycle while Ubermann’s ally Al-Jabbar also attacks from a hot air balloon.  But a traveling bad of horseback riders arrive at the same time and help drive off Uberman and Al-Jabbar.
With the help of one Habib Ouarzaza, the leader of the horse riders, Indy and Sophia infiltrate the dig site and make off with a small compass arrow relic that acts as a diving rod for orichalcum.  It’s not mentioned if the compass is made of amber or not.
Meanwhile, Ubermann and Al-Jabbar have a following out in camp.  Al-Jabbar sneaks into Ubermann’s tent with the intent of cutting his throat.  However, Ubermann has lined his tent floor with electrical cables.  He triggers a switch and electrocutes Al-Jabbar.
Back at the horse riders camp, Ouarazza gives Indy and Sophia a hot air balloon to fly out of the desert.  After a few minor misadventures the pair crash on Crete.  They find a mural with spiral designs that when pushed cause a spindle to appear.  They place a couple of Atlantean stone disks they’ve collect on the spindle, insert an orichalcum bead, and the entrance to the labyrinth is opened.
They find the Nazis inside the labyrinth and a gunfight ensues.  After driving off the Nazis they discover Sternhart who was working for the Nazis and took a bullet during the fighting.  He dies hoping Jones will beat Kerner to Atlantis.
In short order Indy and Sophia find another orichalcum mouth.  Feeding it opens a door into the map room.  Indy says he and Sophia have some studying to do.
The story moves to the pair on a boat southeast of Thera.  Based on notes in Sternhart’s diary this is where Atlantis is located.  Indy goes into the water in a diving suit and the Nazi’s arrive to kidnap Sophia.
Indy finds his way into the Atlantis airlock.  Here he needs to use the stone disks and align them properly to enter Atlantis, after using another orichalcum bead, of course.
Meanwhile, the Nazi’s also arrive and lead the captive Sophia inwards.  She is suddenly taken by the spirit of Nur-Ab-Sal, which freaks out the Nazis.  Indy sneaks up on the party and silently takes down a Nazi guard.  Donning the guards uniform he leads Sophia away, who no longer shows signs of being possessed.

Joined 2012-12-29

PM

The two now follow the orichalcum detector, which is described as amber at this point, to a large horned statue producing orichalcum beads from a river of lava (they don’t have to reassemble or operate the machine themselves).
Suddenly, Sophia is possessed by Nur-Ab-Sal again.  In a graphic series of panels, the spirit describes the fall of Atlantis and the freaks of nature that were created in its final days.  Sophia runs off, still possessed.  The Nazis arrive and capture both she and Indy.
The Nazis lead them further into Atlantis and encounter a horned sentinel guarding a door.  Kerner feeds it orchicalcum and it comes to life killing many of the Nazi guards.  The possessed Sophia struggles to get away but loses steam when Ubermann steals the necklace from her.
The remaining group reach the god machine, the upside of which is one of the few things that resembles what’s depicted in the game.  Inside, Ubermann fills a receptacle with origchalcum beads.  Kerner pushes past to stand on a pedestal, where he is melted and turned into ash instead of a god.
Ubermann feeds in more beads and somehow deduces that Sophia’s necklace is the key.  He dons it and stands on the pedestal.  Sophia wants Indy to stop Ubermann.  Indy says Nur-Ab-Sal won’t let Ubermann succeed.  Uberman also disolves in the power of the machine before exploding, which sets of a chain reaction in Atlantis.
Indy and Sophia escape their Nazi guards and run for an Atlantean digging machine, sealing the guards outside.  Indy operates the machine and it digs its way out through the ocean where Indy and Sophia bob to the surface in time to see Atlantis explode.
A few days later Indy and Sophia are back on campus watching a college football game.  The jock from earlier makes the winning play due to some psychic advice Sophia gave him.

The end.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sir Beardalot - 22 January 2019 02:34 PM

TimovieMan, thanks for taking the time to put together this amazing CPT! You did an outstanding job setting up each section and making them even more interesting with the addition of questions and fun facts. Hats off to you my friend!  Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up

Sabacc - 25 January 2019 11:41 PM

TimovieMan, I’d like to add my thanks to you for setting up this CPT.  Lots of fun and I even learned a few new things about this game that I’ve been playing since the 90’s.

Thanks, guys!

I’m unstickying (is that a word? Tongue) the thread now that it’s run its course.

We didn’t finish quite as much “en masse” as we started, but anyone still playing can still comment on the game and the playthrough.

And now, as promised, a (not so) quick summary of Dark Horse’s comic adaptation to show how it compares to the game.

Similar but different. Doesn’t really sound like an improvement, though.

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Thanks guys, that was entertaining. Hopefully next time you can move to the sequel, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top