• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

How do you find new adventure games?

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2018-04-04

PM

As a game developer, I can’t help but feel I’m missing something as far as this marketing jazz is concerned, so how do you find out about games? Are ads worthwhile to buy or does no one pay attention to them? What other ways do you find out new adventure games exist? Would love any and all thoughts on this.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I may not be the best person to answer this since I play far too few AGs each year (and I missed enough of the classics to generally not bother with new releases until they’ve reached classic status), but I get my info from skimming the main site here, and from recommendations made by forum members (whom I’ve gotten to know over the years and can gauge their general taste in games).

I don’t actively hunt down information on new games, so unless they get mentioned a lot here, I simply won’t know about them.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

I block all ads.

Most information I get from different forums and such, like I learned about the latest Kickstarter adventure game from Adventure-Treff (German forum).

http://www.adventure-treff.de/forum/1/19145

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Not that I have time to play games at the moment, but I hear about interesting ones via:

Forum posts
Articles on gaming sites (AG and RPS are the ones I read with any regularity)
Twitter (if it’s mentioned/retweeted by a developer I’m already following)

Occasionally Steam or Humble get their recommendations right, too Smile

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

It is really hard. With Steam and the consoles being flooded with crappy games, and their refusal to do any sort of quality control, it is very difficult for small guys to stand out.

Here are a few suggestions that might help:
- Graphics. I know the old adage that it is all about the gameplay, but a unique and captivating art style does help grab people’s attention. At least they would notice your game, and then the gameplay has to be there to get a good word of mouth. Firewatch is an example of a breathtaking game that immediately grabs your attention with a few screenshots.
- Kickstarter: you can have a kickstarter to promote your game. Even if you don’t need that much funding (or any for that matter), having a kickstarter increases its visibility.
- Being active here. Gibbous’s creator is active in these forums, and their game’s art style is really nice, so their game broke into the AG’es hypometer.
- Associating yourself with bigger names: Double Fine presents is one such example.

Total Posts: 4254

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I (used to) check this thread and pay attention to what folks have to say - specially Karlok and Oscar because my taste is very similar to theirs and they (used to?) play almost all the new titles and comment them.

There also used to be a great (now abandoned) thread where one could see how new (and old) AGs look like.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Mostly I hear about new adventure games through announcements at adventure game forums and AG’s front page.

Besides AG’s new release announcements, I check
http://www.gameboomers.com/Adventureinformation.htm
where there are links to new and upcoming games. I like having the “upcoming games” information all on one page instead of spread out over several pages.

I also check “new releases” at GOG and Fireflower, and to a lesser extent developer sites when I know they are working on a game (like the darklingroom.co.uk website or wadjeteyegames.com ).

I don’t trust ads.

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-12-29

PM

More often than I’d like, I discover a great game at the end of the year through the Aggies. I usually find GamesCom coverage good for some promising stuff as well. Also news and reviews here and YouTubers/twitch streamers.

The golden age of mathematics - that was not the age of Euclid, it is ours. -Cassius Jackson Keyser

Total Posts: 58

Joined 2009-11-05

PM

As far as adventures are concerned, I mostly get my info from the articles posted here on adventuregamers. I also keep tabs on reviews coming out on mainstream sites like ign and destructoid, on a rare occasion I’ve picked up an adventure or two ‘cause I saw a review on those sites. I don’t buy stuff based on 1 review though. A review gets my attention and if it looks interesting I usually just find a no commentary playthrough on youtube and watch the first 10-15 minutes of it. No commentary ‘cause it lets me soak in the atmosphere and gameplay by myself and I get to make my own decision, let’s plays tend to guide your opinion if it makes sense. But yeah, I see an article or a review here, then check the beginning out on youtube and buy/skip based on this “research”. Using this method I usually buy 2 or 3 adventures per month. I’ve never bought anything because of advertising.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Adventuregamers news and forum and resetera

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I just blindly trust everything Adventuregamers or the forum members recommend. And Twitter, of course, there are always some retweets about ongoing Kickstarter campaigns/new adventure game releases by a small, but devoted community. But I wouldn’t listen to ads or reviews from mainstream sites these days.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

i search ‘adventure games’ on lycos!

I can really only go by what’s discussed here and on other gaming communities. Without this website, I would have no idea about point-and-click adventure games still being made today.

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2018-04-04

PM

I used to support Kickstarter projects but I don’t any more ever since I realize Kickstarter is a good old boys club that just chooses what they want to succeed, and pushes them to the top of all the lists. Then, sorry to the creators, but I’m not supporting Kickstarter for that shady practice.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

-youtune gameplay clips, mostly games, that came out and i haven’t had on my radar.

-games of company/devs i made sorta trust with thir products (i.e. Sierra, Daedalic, Amanita Design….....)

-word of mouth from fellow forums members here, whom they have the same-taste, and intelligence Laughing

-Sequels, Spin-offs, Games of Strong media propaganda, Great trailers (teasers and debuts), Previews, and rated review of fresh games.

-Screenshots!; as this will always remain the old(est) fashion in the history of (adventure) gaming and still my immediate method before anything else, i can tell/see much from them, even before consulting any of the methods mentioned above.

Total Posts: 72

Joined 2017-03-27

PM

I have a little forum with a small group of gamer friends and I post new/upcoming games almost every day for multiple platforms. I get info from Adventure Gamers, including the Indie Game Thread here, and Gameboomers. I periodically go through “Upcoming” games on Steam after setting the filters for adventure, games and single player. I occasionally just run a search for “upcoming games”. I always check out info from any of the gaming conferences.

Earlier this year, I ran across a game called Where the Water Tastes Like Wine. It was released on February 28, 2018 on Steam and GOG. I never heard anything about it until it was released and posted it on March 1st and I make an effort to keep up with new games. It got an amazing review in the Washington Post https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2018/03/12/where-the-water-tastes-like-wine-is-a-giant-leap-forward-for-video-game-storytelling/?utm_term=.f791c99821f4 but nothing here or at Gameboomers until it was reviewed at GB in May. The game did not sell very well and the devs talked about going out of business. I posted it here with only a few responses: https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/10677/ The point of this is that there was no buzz about this game - no anticipation.

So here is my best advice as a long time game lover:

1. Post here from the get-go. Even if you only have a couple of concept art shots and an idea. Mr Underhill of Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure fame started posting about the game in December of 2014. https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/4655/  The game is almost ready to be released and he has carried us all along on the journey of Gibbous with him. I’m willing to bet that a good percentage of AG members have the game wishlisted and will buy it as soon as it’s released. I know I won’t be waiting for the Steam Winter Sale on this one. You don’t have to post every day, just keep the buzz going.

2. I realize that money is sometimes pretty tight with a new/small studio but if you can, set up a website for the game with a developer’s log. If that’s not possible, at least do Facebook and Twitter. Keep it updated with screenshots and video and answer questions. People love to be included and will follow you if you don’t ignore them.

3. Look at setting up a Discord channel. There are a lot of adventure gamers on Discord including Adventure Gamers and they’re a chatty bunch. Look at Agustin Cordis’ Discord channel for Asylum. Agustin is a frequent poster here.

4. Get your game up on Steam and/or GOG as soon as possible whether it’s early access or just “coming soon”. I wishlist everything I’m even vaguely interested in. That way I don’t forget about it.

5. Consider releasing a preview demo to game reviewers. Just Adventure, Gameboomers and Adventure Gamers do the occasional “first look” which is usually based on an early demo. It creates more buzz.

6. If you decided to go the Kickstarter route, do it after you do all of the above. If nobody ever heard of you or your game, they might be pretty hesitant to give you money. You want to invite friends to help and not beg strangers.

Buzz! That the point. Be prepared for some “constructive criticism” and develop a tough hide. You want to make a good game and we want to play a good game. It works for all of us.

Good luck!

Total Posts: 72

Joined 2017-03-27

PM

Oh, another thing - Don’t be fooled by the number of posts in a thread here. Look at the views. For example, Poltergeist Treasure only has two responses but it has 214 views. AG has a lot of lurkers and readers, including me. Your game was viewed 214 times. You probably will get more bang for the buck here than you would with an ad. I don’t even notice web page ads.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top