• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough 49 Post Mortem

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

There are baically no puzzles before the Alambic Bistro, what’s the point in waiting so long? You should at least add the paintings matching and the suspect drawing puzzles that could be solved after exploring the bistro.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Ok, I have updated both my previous posts - we’ll do the extra puzzles.

Also, people have found some interesting ways to solve things so I have posted them also.

My laptop is VERY small, an 11.5 inch model, but plays games like a dream and is very portable. Me and a PC will be gaming together for quite sometime!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Great, thanks! I think I’m gonna stuck on this portrait puzzle for a good while again. It’s still unsolvable Frown I also tried various choices during my converstaions with the clerk and the constable. What a weird dialogue system. You may get a lot of information from the character, but choose a “wrong” option - and you’ll miss it entirely, without any explanation or possibility to ask him later. I guess it adds some freedom and realism, but with such an eccentric cast it’s often hard to predict their reaction to your innocent questions, not to mention ironic remarks.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I am really enjoying this game. I think it is way better than 2 stars. Many other reviews were way more positive and I am in line with them.

I find the graphics, voice acting and plot to be excellent so far. I love the characters, they are so eccentric. Some of the puzzle stumped me and I had to peek at a walkthrough a couple of times.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’m enjoying the game. Graphics are really good. Apart from the character animations, but that has a lot to do with the age of the game.

Dialogue is a bit stiff at times - like why does our main character have to clarify what a ‘private eye’ is at every turn?

And the hotel lobby sequence is rather funny:

You can’t walk up the stairs because the snooty manager would see you, but you *can* get into a giant suitcase that’s standing right in his field of vision.
And after getting upstairs once, the next time you can just walk up those stairs, no questions asked... Tongue

And oh, look, it’s the “slide a paper under the door and use something thin to push out the key and retrieve it” puzzle! I’ve never seen that one in an adventure game before! Grin
Although it never fails to work with me. Every time I encounter that puzzle, I emit a subdued “yay!”. But I can’t really explain *why* I like that type of puzzle. Tongue

Anyway, game’s off to a reasonably good start for me. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

TimovieMan - 15 October 2018 03:24 AM

Dialogue is a bit stiff at times - like why does our main character have to clarify what a ‘private eye’ is at every turn?

He would have had more reason to clarify if he called himself a ‘private dick’, no?

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Headycakesofdoom - 15 October 2018 05:36 AM

He would have had more reason to clarify if he called himself a ‘private dick’, no?

Grin

He doesn’t care, apparently. He just repeats “A private detective.” after using another term. I’ve seen both “private eye” and “private investigator” pass. I wouldn’t be surprised if he introduces himself as a “private dick. A private detective.” later on. Tongue
It seems like he used to work for the Department of Redundancy Department. Crazy

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

TimovieMan - 15 October 2018 03:24 AM

And oh, look, it’s the “slide a paper under the door and use something thin to push out the key and retrieve it” puzzle! I’ve never seen that one in an adventure game before! Grin
Although it never fails to work with me. Every time I encounter that puzzle, I emit a subdued “yay!”. But I can’t really explain *why* I like that type of puzzle. Tongue

I would love to know the origin of that puzzle. It’s a staple in casual games. The first time I ran across it was in Phantasmagoria. but I doubt that was its first use.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Looking at the many references of the puzzle on TV Tropes, the first use of it might have been Zork II.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I’m pretty sure I read about this trick in some mystery novel from the 19th century. But I didn’t expect it to appear in video games as early as Zork II! I think I first encountered it in Zork: Grand Inquisitor.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I talked to the bartender again which opened access to the Artemis Bistro. I’ve seen references to a painting, and Hugo admits to being a painter. There is only one painting in the bistro that you can look at, but I can do nothing other than look at it. Did I miss something?

The oversize crate that TimovieMan mentioned is only available after you return from the bistro. So I used that to get upstairs. I did talk with the neighbor lady, and receive an item from her.

There is only one room with a police sticker on the door, so I assume that’s the one where we use the newspaper. It’s also the only one where you can look at the keyhole. I must be missing an inventory item because the game will not allow me to slide the newspaper under the door. I thought the missing item might be in the toolbox by the elevator door on the first floor, but that is currently inaccessible.

That’s where I stopped for the day.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

You need to check room 507 and verify that it is locked. After that, when you talk to Hulot he will offer you a lock pick set in exchange for doing the painting puzzle

Heart

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I am stumped on the “painting differences” puzzle. I solved the puzzle, (or so I thought,) by myself. But Hulot wouldn’t accept it. So I checked my solution against a walkthrough, and the walkthrough confirmed I had the right solution. What now? Frown

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I had to use a walkthrough for the painting puzzle. The locations as shown on the walkthrough must be matched EXACTLY or your work will be rejected. It took me several tries to get this right.

Heart

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Well, I finished the painting differences puzzle. Not sure if I think it’s fair. Seeming infinitesimal differences in position are the difference between success and failure.

Now I’m back at the hotel with lock picking tools in hand. I’m a bit confused. I know that we use the tools, but I remember that happening much later in the game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top