• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04LadyLinda

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

428: Shibuya Scramble

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

So the polls didn’t go to waste completely and this cult hit japanese Visual novel is coming to west

PS4/PC in spring 2018

Megaton!!!

Fellow AG review

https://ho-lingnojikenbo.blogspot.nl/2012/09/blog-post.html

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Thanks for the link to my review Tongue

I LOVE 428. The game is what I think of when I think of great novel games, of a piece of work that shows the potential of the genre. It’s not only a fantastically written game (with accompanying music), the visuals (with real actors) really add something few other novel game. This is a must-play for anyone interested in visual novels.

I wonder whether success will lead to a localiation of Machi. 428 was originally started as a sequel/spin-off as Machi, and features the same game mechanics and setting. I actually like Machi even more, though the execution of both games are quite different (428 is more like an action-thriller mystery, while Machi was a sort of short story collection showcasing the Butterfly Effect).

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Tantei KID - 03 March 2017 04:03 AM

Thanks for the link to my review Tongue

Welcome
There is no better source i know of japanese only VN breakdown Tongue

There is hour long 428 documentary on youtube please caption it Smile

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Nice. Been waiting 7 years or so for this to hit the western market.
Ironically it was TanteiKid who put this game on my radar.

Edit: It might have been Machi 428 which he introduced me to.

Is this game a good starting point for the franchise then?

Edit 2: Nevermind it was this game.

It’s quite funny since this game came around the time The World Ends With You got released and they both have a similar premise and were released on Nintendo systems.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Spring 2018? Seems so far away… But good that it’s coming

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2003-12-26

PM

So awesome! This is the game that originally encouraged me to learn Japanese. I played through this game at a super slow pace but I was so proud when I finally managed to finish it and it was an amazing experience.

Now I can’t wait to go through the game in a language I can actually read at a normal pace Smile

Here’s my “review” of the game for the Reddit’s “learnjapanese” channel from a few years ago:
https://www.reddit.com/r/LearnJapanese/comments/1mu10p/428_a_recommended_visual_novel_for_intermediate/

Total Posts: 116

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

Can someone sell me on this? The trailer just makes it look like a corny, low-budget, action FMV game. How does the gameplay actually work?

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2003-12-26

PM

desiderio59 - 25 March 2018 07:16 PM

Can someone sell me on this? The trailer just makes it look like a corny, low-budget, action FMV game. How does the gameplay actually work?

I’ll try, but I’m not sure if it will actually appeal to you. It really depends on your stand on visual novel games. It’s more “game-y” than many other visual novels, but much less game-y than games like danganronpa or ace attorney.

As a visual novel, it is basically a “choose your own adventure”. The story develops (with text, music, sound effects, and still images - very little motion), and from time to time you are asked to make a decision (e.g., should you attack a given character or run away).

The “twist” - in the game you are playing 5 different characters simultaneously, and decisions you make with one character affects the outcome of the story for another character. The “puzzle” is to untangle the web of relations between the stories, finding the set of decisions for each characters that would allow all characters to advance the story (you are not allowed to reach a “bad ending” with any of the characters - at which point you need to rewind the clock and try making a different decision).

As a game, it is not very challenging. However, I found the story to be pretty fun, and the scenarios were pretty varied (e.g., the characters include a police detective, a former gang member, and a person stuck in a cat suit). Can’t comment much on how good the writing is because I played it in Japanese so it’s very hard to form an actual opinion on the writing style, but I really enjoyed it.

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/07/05/428-shibuya-scramble-arrives-in-north-america-on-september-4-2018/

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

On my must buy list. Game looks great too. I myself like these Visual Novel/Adenture Games. I myself would never try to sell anyone on a Japanese Visual Novel/Adenture game to say they can be a little Strange is an understatement. Either you like them or you don’t - and there are LOTS of reasons not to like them.

However, I like them because they are different and off-beat. If you are a beginner, Ace Attorney is a great place to start.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Matan - 25 March 2018 08:07 PM
desiderio59 - 25 March 2018 07:16 PM

I’ll try, but I’m not sure if it will actually appeal to you. It really depends on your stand on visual novel games. It’s more “game-y” than many other visual novels, but much less game-y than games like danganronpa or ace attorney.

As a visual novel, it is basically a “choose your own adventure”. The story develops (with text, music, sound effects, and still images - very little motion), and from time to time you are asked to make a decision (e.g., should you attack a given character or run away).

The “twist” - in the game you are playing 5 different characters simultaneously, and decisions you make with one character affects the outcome of the story for another character. The “puzzle” is to untangle the web of relations between the stories, finding the set of decisions for each characters that would allow all characters to advance the story (you are not allowed to reach a “bad ending” with any of the characters - at which point you need to rewind the clock and try making a different decision).

As a game, it is not very challenging. However, I found the story to be pretty fun, and the scenarios were pretty varied (e.g., the characters include a police detective, a former gang member, and a person stuck in a cat suit). Can’t comment much on how good the writing is because I played it in Japanese so it’s very hard to form an actual opinion on the writing style, but I really enjoyed it.

Nice.  You completely sold me on it.  Looking forward to it.

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2012-07-09

PM

I am currently at 20 hours of gameplay and so far, this game exceeded my expectations.

This is obviously a very good visual novel. It’s huge (it features an impressive amount of live action photographs), the story is captivating, inventive and full of weird japanese humour. It is not challenging, but finding the right path to make the story unfold is not always evident. Each character is memorable. The numerous bad endings are often funny, sometimes unpredictable or highly surreal.

I hope to see other nippon games of this type translated in english in the future, but sold at a more reasonnable price.

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

What’s funny with the 428 photographs is that everything was really acted out loud by the actors. So they did not pose specifically for those backgrounds, but really acted out all the scenes.

428 was originally conceived as a sequel/spin-off to Chunsoft’s earlier Machi (PS/Saturn/PSP), which had you jumping between 8 different characters in Shibuya. There are still a few references in 428 to Machi hidden in TIPS etc. The big difference is that in 428, the characters are all part of one storyline, while in Machi, each had their own unique storyline. I actually like Machi better, as it’s more like the Butterfly Effect, with the stories of unrelated people still influencing each other. This one is probably a bit harder to localize. The producer of 428 later made Level-5’s Time Traveller, and that one is quite similar to 428 (with QTEs, but also a guest appearance of Tama).

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I am finishing up Mask of Truth on my PS4 and then I am jumping on this game big time. All the reviews are very positive and I am chewing on the bit to get this amazing game going.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

I’m playing this as well right now.  Haven’t gotten very far, but have had a lot of fun with it so far.

The way I’d describe it is Pulp Fiction: the game.  You play as a bunch of different characters in different situations, and their stories tie together in unexpected ways.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top