• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #62 - Lighthouse: The Dark Being

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’m sorry this has been so frustrating for you, Doom, but I understand.  If you don’t have the heart to try anymore, I agree that a walkthrough video would be a good idea.  However, if you get a second wind and decide to give it another go, here are a few things you might have missed: 

The arrows you turn in the lava pit to get the weapon part are, from the top, 1, 2, 4 & 6.  After you retrieve the part, you have to put those arrows back into the upward position on the way up or some steam pipe valves won’t work.  The valves you need to turn are the 3rd from the left (silver, which powers the pipe in front of Amanda), the 7th (main lab door), and the 4th (side lab door, which you probably haven’t found yet).  Because the final weapon part is near the side door, you don’t need to use the main one.  In fact, I’ve never tried going in through the main door except after clearing the rocks, when it was locked.  I’ll have to go back to a save to see what happens when I unlock it.

The controls for the magnet are activated when you power the silver pipe.  The idea is to pick up a rock and smash the chain by Amanda, but you should use your umbrella there one more time to open the door first.

Sefir,
You made me laugh.  I think poor Dr. Krick’s head has taken enough abuse now between you and the Dark Being.

Pegbiter,
If you set the time bomb and don’t get out in time, you just watch the explosion from the water and then get a note about failing your mission.  Somehow, I think I managed to figure that out.

The second time I made it out with Krick, Amanda, and the blueprints, and then the mountain exploded.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

walas74 - 24 October 2020 08:34 PM

Hi!

These are the endings I found:

- Dead by derailing with the train.
- Dead by bomb detonating before escape.
- Alive, rescueing Dr. Krick and Amanda. Dark Being escaped.
- Alive, rescueing Dr. Krick and Amanda. Dark Being trapped.

Are there more endings?

Yes I encountered 2 more, mainly because I was desperately stuck and trying different things.
You can set the bomb and leave the volcano: with Amanda or without Amanda. Both will result in the volcano exploding and the dark creature dying. With Amanda you fail your mission because the professor dies, and without Amanda both Amanda and the professor will die.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Lady Kestrel - 25 October 2020 04:36 AM

In fact, I’ve never tried going in through the main door except after clearing the rocks, when it was locked.  I’ll have to go back to a save to see what happens when I unlock it.

If you go through the main door, you will still see the professor in a coma. If you turn around, the dark being will be there with a tool in his hand and he will strike you on your head. When you wake up, you will find yourself on the beach. The problem now is that the ship is in the volcano so you can’t use it to go back there. The only way then to get back to the volcano is to take the bat pane to the temple, activate the portal, and teleport yourself into the submarine.

Sefir - 24 October 2020 05:25 PM

(how funny it would have been if we DIDN’T pick it from our home. We would have to go back to the sub, from there back to the Martin’s Roost, use the batplane to return to the Temple, from there teleport to the Lighthouse, drive to our home to take it and then return to the Volcano)

Actually I just started a new game to see what happens if you don’t pick up the umbrella.
Apparently the moment you use the car keys in the car, your character automatically picks up the umbrella and the bag, so you will never have a scenario where you miss picking it up. What he doesn’t automatically pick up is the lighter. And when you actually click on the car to go back home after you get to the lighthouse, the game asks if you want to quit. You can never go back home once you leave. So you can end up with a scenario where you don’t pick up the lighter and you are eternally stuck. Pan Pan Pan

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Lady Kestrel - 25 October 2020 04:36 AM

However, if you get a second wind and decide to give it another go, here are a few things you might have missed:

Wow, I certainly missed a lot, including the whole connection between the pipes, valves and gates. Might be because while at the Amanda area I tried opening the gate using the valve and the levers, but it didn’t work for some reason, so I didn’t make big deal of it. This was probably meant to be an early hint for further puzzle solving. I guess this is the kind of inner logic that should click with you before you may continue. Also I somehow completely missed that you need to turn all the arrows upward after getting the artifact at the lava pit - even after reading and watching two walkthroughs - and this seems to be my main problem right now.

Thank you, Lady K, I’ll try to replay the whole section using this knowledge, hopefully it will make more sense now.

rtrooney - 24 October 2020 10:05 PM

As an aside, what you call a wagon, we decided on the name digger. At the time Lighthouse was being developed, another momentous thing was happening. The tunnel under the English Channel was being dug. I asked Olga what the name of the machine digging the tunnel was called. She said it was the Chunnel Digger. And that’s how the name digger was coined.

Interesting trivia! I don’t know why I went with the “wagon” name, probably because I thought of other games where you drive around mines in a mine wagon. I also saw alternative names for it in your walkthrough including “boring tool” which pretty much sums up my current experience - I got really bored after hours of aimless driving Laughing

PC means personal computer

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

SoccerDude - 25 October 2020 02:45 PM

If you go through the main door, you will still see the professor in a coma. If you turn around, the dark being will be there with a tool in his hand and he will strike you on your head. When you wake up, you will find yourself on the beach. The problem now is that the ship is in the volcano so you can’t use it to go back there. The only way then to get back to the volcano is to take the bat pane to the temple, activate the portal, and teleport yourself into the submarine.

Heh.  I think I’ll skip that part, but at least there is a way back.

SoccerDude - 25 October 2020 02:45 PM

Apparently the moment you use the car keys in the car, your character automatically picks up the umbrella and the bag, so you will never have a scenario where you miss picking it up. What he doesn’t automatically pick up is the lighter. And when you actually click on the car to go back home after you get to the lighthouse, the game asks if you want to quit. You can never go back home once you leave. So you can end up with a scenario where you don’t pick up the lighter and you are eternally stuck.

The designers were very keen on making sure we could do alternate things if we did something stupid, so I’m surprised they didn’t have another fire source somewhere.  However, the game can still be finished, although not ideally, without the lighter.  Anyway, there were pros and cons to the explosion.  The pro is that we destroyed the lab so that no other evil entity could use it, but the con is we polluted the atmosphere big time.  I wonder how Liryl feels about it all.

Doom - 25 October 2020 03:23 PM

Thank you, Lady K, I’ll try to replay the whole section using this knowledge, hopefully it will make more sense now.

There are also quite a few hints in the playthrough pages here that might help.

Interesting trivia! I don’t know why I went with the “wagon” name, probably because I thought of other games where you drive around mines in a mine wagon. I also saw alternative names for it in your walkthrough including “boring tool” which pretty much sums up my current experience - I got really bored after hours of aimless driving Laughing

^ Grin  
I was calling it a train, simply because it ran on tracks, but the boring/digging part is quite fun. 

There were a couple of places in the game where the outside view of the digger made me think at first that it was another vehicle until I clicked on it.  Did anyone else have that experience?

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Lady Kestrel - 25 October 2020 04:57 PM

surprised they didn’t have another fire source somewhere.  However, the game can still be finished, although not ideally, without the lighter.

Didn’t we need the lighter to fire the cannon? Without firing it, we can’t get rid off the monster or access the area where we get the key to the statue, nor the weapon piece inside it. Is there an alternate way to solve that puzzle?

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

There seems to be a lot of different names/descriptions for that machinery but it’s most definitely a mole:

Okay this one from Thunderbird 2 is mounted on tracks .....  Smile

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

SoccerDude - 25 October 2020 05:32 PM

Didn’t we need the lighter to fire the cannon? Without firing it, we can’t get rid off the monster or access the area where we get the key to the statue, nor the weapon piece inside it. Is there an alternate way to solve that puzzle?

You’re right.  I had forgotten about the key, and I don’t know of another way to get it.  So yes, without the lighter, a player would be stuck. 

Hmmm.  I wonder if it would be possible to use an ember from the foundry to light the cannon.  I also wonder if it would be possible to go back home after taking the portal back to the lighthouse from the temple.

That mole looks like overkill to me, Chrissie. Gasp

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

No conflict. The vehicle is called the digger. The front end is the boring tool. You can make what you want of that. But it, as you suggested, can be a boredom tool if you don’t know what you’re supposed to do with it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Wow, the volcano section is proving hard.
Riding that digger train is unintuitive, we have a maze on our hands and the map I’ve found is not useful in the slightest, and every time I find a room, I have no idea what I’m doing…

At least I’ve found Amanda… Tongue
With no way of getting her out yet… Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Thanks to everyone I managed to finish the game. It wasn’t all that hard as soon as I worked out the logic behind the “pipes-steam” concept. It is close to Myst/Riven in this regard. Freeing the baby was actually pretty fun as well as making use of all the tools of the drilling machine. I got only stuck for a bit while activating the teleport - I then replayed this part and watched the creature performing all the necessary tasks, so there was also a logic behind it.

I also didn’t like the professor, he felt rather egoistic and uninteresting and also poorly animated compared to the dark creature, so after saving him I tried to escape with a baby, but without the professor, leaving him alone, eating fish till the end of times. The portal didn’t want to close though. Then I read that one can blow up the whole place, so I set up the timer (using some circuit and an alarm clock which felt kinda ridiculous), left the mines through the portal with the baby, waited for several minutes and the whole place blew up. I was told that I did great, but failed my mission ( I had a mission?) by not saving the guy. Oh well.

This was a great playthrough. I had very few memories of the game. I used to think that the castle part was the greatest - for some reason I remembered there were more puzzles of the “combine everything” sort. But the greatest example of this was actually the final 3D puzzle I hadn’t experienced before (making the weapon) - had a lot of fun tinkling with it. Concerning this

rtrooney - 19 October 2020 06:40 PM

I disagree with the suggestion that the ending left options open for a sequel. This was the last adventure game that Sierra would produce that didn’t come from Jane Jensen or Roberta Williams. The well was running dry, and everyone knew it. If there was to be no sequel, put the bottle on the table before entering the portal. Poof! No more Dark Being.

I’m not so sure. Shivers 2 was released in 1997, a year after Lighthouse, and it had better production values including the 360° view which wasn’t used in other Sierra adventures. So they might’ve considered a number of other sequels to their 1st person adventures, including Lighthouse.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Good going, Doom!  I’m glad you were finally able to finish. 

Regarding that weapon, I could think of some uses for it right about now. Wink

Timo,
I think we’re going to form a Lost-in-the-Maze club.  Do you have your compassNorth is at the top of the map, if that helps.  You can copy it from the link I posted, if you haven’t taken a screenshot already.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Doom - 26 October 2020 04:21 PM
rtrooney - 19 October 2020 06:40 PM

I disagree with the suggestion that the ending left options open for a sequel. This was the last adventure game that Sierra would produce that didn’t come from Jane Jensen or Roberta Williams. The well was running dry, and everyone knew it. If there was to be no sequel, put the bottle on the table before entering the portal. Poof! No more Dark Being.

I’m not so sure. Shivers 2 was released in 1997, a year after Lighthouse, and it had better production values including the 360° view which wasn’t used in other Sierra adventures. So they might’ve considered a number of other sequels to their 1st person adventures, including Lighthouse.

This will be a quibble point that is unworthy of a “well technically-type” argument. Shivers 2 was released after Lighthouse, so you win. But they were both in production simultaneously, and neither were released with any hope for a sequel. So I win. We both win. Smile

The only real winners in the Sierra game producing game were JJ, who got to finish GK3, and Roberta, who got to both start and finish Phantasmagoria 2.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

So, I’ve rescued Amanda and I have now just dug a tunnel to new room.

I’m getting the hang of the digger train, but the amount of times I had to turn it around is getting on my nerves.

Needing to go backwards to lower the drawbridge but then needing to go forward on that same track to dig the tunnel is just evil.

And I managed to get a non-standard game over for derailing the train. Grin
And I did it on purpose to see what would happen… Tongue

But on the bright side: I now have Amanda in my inventory. Because that’s where you store babies in this game… Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Finally finished the game.

I feel like I should have enjoyed putting the weapon together more, but the controls were rather fussy. What could have been a very fun puzzle was now often a “why isn’t this working?” fiddly mess.

Also, poor doctor. You don’t want to know how many times I zapped him before I (rather accidentally) woke him up... Gasp

Not quite sure how I feel about us taking the crystal bottle with us. Why not just lock it in that trunk and have it explode with the rest of the mountain? Or at the very least, if you took it back to our world, just throw it into the fireplace?
I did like the graphics of the crystal glass in the very last scene, though. Even the light refraction looked on point.

Thank you, LK, for leading the playthrough, and for having us on a strict path in a game that provides many alternative routes to all the same places!
And thanks to RT for persisting in trying to get this nominated. Smile

Even though it’s heavily flawed, I enjoyed the game. It manages to build up enough backstory to get you invested, and I like that you’re given a few options of going about your way (so it’s not too linear). Unfortunately the game mixes good sections with infuriating sections. I enjoyed the lighthouse and the fortress the most, with Martin’s Roost a close third, but then I disliked the volcano and I utterly despised the submarine and shipwreck sections. There were a lot of poorly clued-in puzzles, so a lot of it was “fiddling with things until you stumble on the solution”, which is not how it should be.
But the graphics were good for their time, and frankly, I enjoyed it more than Myst. Smile

Lighthouse: The Dark Being - 2.5/5

rtrooney - 21 October 2020 06:43 PM

Back when we (in the US) had our latest gas price spike, both FedEx and UPS programmed their driver’s routes so that the majority of their routes were mapped for right-hand turns. It cut down on the amount of idling waiting for a left turn signal, etc. It worked. The reason I mentioned this is that when we were writing/editing the WT we realized that many operations could be done in fewer moves if the train was driven in reverse. But Olga, justifiably, said that people are more comfortable driving looking through their windshield than looking through their rearview mirror. So, you are probably right that you rotated the turntable more than you had to, just so you could keep the train moving in a forward direction.

Interesting. I didn’t bother turning around if I knew that going backwards was going to get me there faster.

It did prove a slight pain in the ass when I reached the couple of spots where I had to be facing a particular way, and my train was facing the other direction. Tongue

rtrooney - 26 October 2020 07:23 PM

This will be a quibble point that is unworthy of a “well technically-type” argument. Shivers 2 was released after Lighthouse, so you win. But they were both in production simultaneously, and neither were released with any hope for a sequel. So I win. We both win. Smile

Even if a sequel will not be made, designers often leave in a sequel hook, just in case. It could even have been asked by the management, even if no immediate sequels were planned, just in case the game sold extremely well…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top