• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04KeybordzLady KestrelTheTMDwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Interesting untranslated AGs

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Maroko - 23 September 2020 02:18 PM

Capcom’s Fushigi Deka definitely piqued my interest. There aren’t simply enough anthropomorphic doggies doing fine police work in gaming! Its cover also doesn’t disappoint.

This is an interesting title because of its covert ties with Ace Attorney: Shinji Mikami (executive producer of Ace Attorney) and Kumiko Suekane (main character designer of Ace Attorney) worked on this title right before they moved on to Ace Attorney, and Phoenix actually wears a T-shirt with Fushigi Deka characters in one of the flashback scenes when he’s a kid.

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2020-09-23

PM

Veovis - 24 September 2020 03:01 PM

Many thanks for the link! I’d heard of a fan translation but I never really investigated further.

Yer welcome! I hope you’ll enjoy it Wink

Tantei KID - 25 September 2020 01:24 PM

This is an interesting title because of its covert ties with Ace Attorney: Shinji Mikami (executive producer of Ace Attorney) and Kumiko Suekane (main character designer of Ace Attorney) worked on this title right before they moved on to Ace Attorney, and Phoenix actually wears a T-shirt with Fushigi Deka characters in one of the flashback scenes when he’s a kid.

What a wonderful little piece of trivia my gerbil saiyajin! The 1st Phoenix Wright was the only one I’ve actually enjoyed and I’d never noticed it.
Have you played Fushigi Deka? If so, what’s your opinion of it?

Theeere they are lol

Speaking of iconic ex-Capcom employees, have you ever played Aragorn in Hell aka Hungry Ghosts, from the mind of Tokuro Fujiwara?
I think it’s mostly an AG with a sprikling of King’s Field if I’m not mistaken… It looks so cool, though. And are there any AGs out there you’d especially like to see an english transl. of?

Isildur’s heir realizing he forgot to bring Andúril

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Maroko - 27 September 2020 09:25 AM

Have you played Fushigi Deka? If so, what’s your opinion of it?

Haven’t played Fushigi Deka, nor Hungry Ghost. I do know that least the former is available as a PS Archive game, so it’s fairly easy to get hold of, fortunately.

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2020-09-23

PM

Tantei KID - 28 September 2020 06:10 AM

Haven’t played Fushigi Deka, nor Hungry Ghost.

Hungry GhostSSS, he’s in hell after all Naughty

Another franchise that never stepped out of Japan is Boku no Natsuyasumi (aka My Summer Vacation), from the makers of the fun Attack of the Friday Monsters! for the 3DS. With its stunning, traditionally painted, backgrounds plus an overall relaxing gameplay composed of mini-games and chillin’ with the folks before the age of the internet, it’s a shame we never got a proper translation for one of them.

Here’s a trailer of the 3rd one, for the PS3.

Total Posts: 288

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I like these threads as I always find another interesting game to review further.  So many non-English adventure games out there over the years that sounded interesting to me.  Sadly I am *really* not good with foreign language.  I had high hopes of learning enough German to be able to play the hundreds of German only adventure games out there.  The OP of this thread mentioned one (Cave World Saga AKA The Höhlenwelt Saga).  I had purchased it amongst a few others thinking I could learn some German and then play it no problem.  Hah!  That game was impossible to play unless you were fluent in German as there quite a few complicated dialogue puzzles one had to pass.  I did end up watching that YT walkthrough video, and I found it hilarious by the way.

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

I think one of the most interesting, untranslated novel games I ever played was Trick X Logic (PSP), by Chunsoft. It’s a mystery game with scenarios written by famous Japanese mystery writers, and it kinda simulates how readers should solve/read a puzzle plot mystery. After reading the first part of the story (mystery), you go back and select various keywords/phrases throughout the text. Let’s say in an early part of the story it’s described a chair is in the corner, but later on it’s described as having been moved to the center of the wall. It’s somewhat similar to the Logic mechanic in Ace Attorney Investigations, but it’s not solely focused on contradictions, but also by combining facts that for example prove a fact together (for example, you find several parts that point out character A is left-handed) By combining phrases like these you create new keywords/phrases. Ultimately, you need to create a collection of keywords that allow you to solve the mystery. The stories are mostly presented in normal prose (and written by mystery pros), so the plots tend to be a lot more complex than most mystery games.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

I just found out about this one: Kajko i Kokosz.

What I think is very special about this game is that it is actually being sold on GOG, but only in Polish.

http://www.gog.com/game/kajko_i_kokosz

I can be wrong, but I believe this is the only game on GOG that is not available in English, so it’s a rare oddity in their catalogue. I don’t know if the game is good or not, but it’s interesting because on GOG games need to go through a review process for quality, and apparently it has passed. Being a Polish game in a Poland-based store probably helps too, but the game doesn’t seem to be available on Steam, which is also interesting.

EDIT: looking into this more deeply, there even seems to be a fan translation available for this game!

http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=32597

Weird that they don’t mention anything about that on GOG page, but whatever, at least there seems to be a hypothetical way to play it, if it actually works.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

GateKeeper - 24 September 2020 07:35 AM

Well, I don’t know if these qualify exactly, but The Prince and the Coward is one.

The “problem” here is that some people are working on ScummVM fan translation, so that game may or may not be untranslated, depending on how you define it…

I guess this problem is now more or less solved, as the game has been released on GOG:

http://www.gog.com/game/galador_the_prince_and_the_coward

Because the English language is available, that supposedly makes that an official translation and obviously the game is now legally available too.

So the game is no longer an obscure foreign language game that is unavailable for purchase, now it’s just another game I guess.

It’s good to see that GOG still goes back to its “good old game” roots every now and then.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I was thinking about posting something about Werbespiele for a while, this might be the right thread.

Long story short: ad games in Germany included a remarkable amount of point & click adventure games. Some of these games were funded by government institutions, others by large companies. (I’m oversimplifying but I guess that isn’t always a bad thing)

Two games I remember rather fondly. Both 100% point & click and developed by The Art Department, a company that specialized in these types of games:

Das Telekommando kehrt zurück

Faxing Moscow in the 90s. Commissioned by Deutsche Telekom, it mostly takes place in an office building of a rather vaguely defined company. It’s not deep AG, but it has some puzzles, a bit of intrigue and a pleasant style.

DUNKLE SCHATTEN

This dude is passionate about his hobbies. This game was commissioned by a Federal Ministry in a campaign against racism and hate crimes. Like the previous game, it’s very 90s in it’s approach, but the topic is still relevant. I remember it as a good game, but it’s been about.. 23 years.

There’s more, but I wonder if any else remembers this phenomenon. Sidenote: that poster on the right: Dave Mustaine or Matthias Reim?

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Vegetable Party - 09 November 2021 06:07 AM

I was thinking about posting something about Werbespiele for a while, this might be the right thread.

Long story short: ad games in Germany included a remarkable amount of point & click adventure games. Some of these games were funded by government institutions, others by large companies. (I’m oversimplifying but I guess that isn’t always a bad thing)

Back when adventure games were influential enough to be used as an instrument for promoting stuff… Never played any of those German ags, watched a couple of clips on Youtube, and they are SO very 1990s it hurts Smile)

Coktel Vision also produced a small adventure Croustibat similar to their Gobliiins series to promote those French fish fingers, Croustibat. It was completely forgotten then, only a couple of years ago a Portuguese version was rediscovered and released online.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

(the top half of that image is rather soothing, the bottom half is completely crazy)

Is it a commercial game? I’m guessing it involved coupons. I remember one ad game in The Netherlands, a pretty good platformer that was part of a multifaceted marketing campaign for a yoghurt drink.

I wonder how Croustibat compares to the Gobliiins games. Is Gobliins: The Lost Levels?

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Vegetable Party - 09 November 2021 09:43 AM

(the top half of that image is rather soothing, the bottom half is completely crazy)

Is it a commercial game? I’m guessing it involved coupons. I remember one ad game in The Netherlands, a pretty good platformer that was part of a multifaceted marketing campaign for a yoghurt drink.

I wonder how Croustibat compares to the Gobliiins games. Is Gobliins: The Lost Levels?

Mobygames states that “It could be obtained by sending a letter to Findus for just the cost to cover shipping and handling. It also was included in a contest by Findus in which the winner would win a new personal computer system.” The game is very short (like only 3 locations) and not very polished compared to other Coktel adventures. Gobliins: The Lost Levels pretty much describes it Laughing They even reused some music and audio tracks from that game.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 288

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Huh, watching a playthrough of Croustibat right now after reading your post on it Doom.  Kinda funny thanks for mentioning it.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2023-08-05

PM

I recently made an English translation of the Portuguese version of Croustibat, it is now online:

https://archive.org/details/croustibat_en_v1

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top