• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Sam & Max: Save The World Remastered

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Krazy - 10 November 2020 10:52 PM

GateKeeper you REALLY need to chill out on this, you’re acting so bitter and angry when it’s actually a really cool thing to see these games getting this kinda love and clearly a lot of effort and care has been put into this. I for one am excited, these games were always a gem!

I get where he’s coming from. It’s cool that these games are getting a new coat of paint, but they were never about the details, so a remaster is always going to have minimal impact.  Sometimes, it’s actually the opposite - like when they try to upgrade pixel art (I don’t know what it’s called) to smooth the edges and it always look disastrous to these eyes.

On the other hand, some remasters really make a difference - like when they upgraded the early Space Quest and Kings Quests to VGA.

I would be excited about the VR game, if I owned a headset. I think it’s a neat idea and new direction for Sam & Max.

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Doom - 10 November 2020 04:19 PM
PlanetX - 10 November 2020 03:25 PM

Going from the article again it seems like they didn’t change the puzzles or interaction gameplay wise.

You are right, my bad, somehow I missed this part of the article. Although I didn’t find where it says the game had been two years in production. It says Telltale closed two years ago, then a “controversial Telltale revival” happened (that was last year), then Dan Connors contacted some of the ex-employees and they managed to acquire S&M license, then they started digging into old stuff, then decided to make a patch, then decided to make a remaster… So it seems to me like the actual work on the game started only recently.

I actually don’t know for sure. It was the impression I got from reading the Q&A on the Skunkape games website but the wording actually isn’t clear. So I wont bother to call it either way.

In any case, after reading about who’s on this project and their long term involvement in Sam & Max my first thought isn’t “cash grab.” I think these people love the franchise but they’re just being realistic about what they can do as a small team.

For me, personally, the new and more fluid animation goes a long way alone. I always thought those games were too stiff, especially S1. I just wish they hadn’t messed with Bosco’s voice.

I’d love to see the TTG trilogy on Switch for a new demographic of ppl to discover Sam & Max and maybe some of them will go deeper into the genre in general. Anecdotally I have two friends who aren’t big adventure game players that are planning to get this on Switch. I hope they can eventually generate enough interest for a whole new game.

Total Posts: 38

Joined 2020-06-17

PM

I guess they are changing Bosco’s voice just to create some fuzz and bring additional spotlight to their work.

It’s clearly a racist move (just imagine that it’s the opposite - black actor being eliminated in favor of the white one and specifically because of his race as clearly stated by developers), but I guess they follow the saying - “even bad publicity is good publicity”.

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

@ Voodoo: Whaat… Why you are saying this? Are you sure their motive is to be racist, because your choices of words tell me that you are just guessing things.. Come on, I`m sure there are some other reasons behind that decision. Pretty brutal thing to claim something like that.. Not nice at all..

@Jake: Would you be kind to tell us something about this decision?

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 38

Joined 2020-06-17

PM

Ahenobarbus - 13 November 2020 08:41 PM

@ Voodoo: Whaat… Why you are saying this? Are you sure their motive is to be racist, because your choices of words tell me that you are just guessing things.. Come on, I`m sure there are some other reasons behind that decision. Pretty brutal thing to claim something like that.. Not nice at all..

@Jake: Would you be kind to tell us something about this decision?

https://www.vice.com/en/article/akdgke/why-a-group-of-ex-telltale-developers-are-bringing-back-sam-and-max

“They recast the voice actor for Bosco, because it was a black character voiced by a white actor, a creative decision that didn’t exactly sit right with the team when they decided to revisit it.”

Just replace white with black and vice versa in this sentence and imagine how does it sound and all the reactions that would follow.

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

Sorry, but I don`t get why that would be racist at all.. I try to be rational in my thinking, so I just can`t find a rational reason why that change of voice actor would be racist move at all..

Also: Hashtag Collectibles Max plushies are available again! More Sam & Max goodness coming to our way all the time Smile
https://www.hashtagcollectibles.com/products/sam-and-max-stuffed-toy

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-12-29

PM

Ahenobarbus - 14 November 2020 08:23 PM

Sorry, but I don`t get why that would be racist at all.. I try to be rational in my thinking, so I just can`t find a rational reason why that change of voice actor would be racist move at all..

As he just said it is because of the reasoning behind the decision. The notion that only black people should be allowed to voice-act black characters is inherently one that discriminates by race (and is an insult to the art of voice acting).* As a rational man you should be able to see the problematicness of such a notion if you imagine people were to say the same about who gets to portray white characters, especially if you imagine such a criticism being lobbed at, say, the recent Hamilton performances.

* Also, Bosco’s purple always struck me more as invoking the Technicolor Population trope rather than being explicitly black, but that’s neither here nor there I suppose.

The golden age of mathematics - that was not the age of Euclid, it is ours. -Cassius Jackson Keyser

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Harald B - 15 November 2020 03:44 AM
Ahenobarbus - 14 November 2020 08:23 PM

As he just said it is because of the reasoning behind the decision. The notion that only black people should be allowed to voice-act black characters is inherently one that discriminates by race (and is an insult to the art of voice acting).* As a rational man you should be able to see the problematicness of such a notion if you imagine people were to say the same about who gets to portray white characters, especially if you imagine such a criticism being lobbed at, say, the recent Hamilton performances.

* Also, Bosco’s purple always struck me more as invoking the Technicolor Population trope rather than being explicitly black, but that’s neither here nor there I suppose.

I’m guessing it’s the historical association that is distasteful. Impersonating black people in America to make fun of them and their enslavement goes back centuries, something other races didn’t have to face. This is not often understood outside the US.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

cyfoyjvx - 15 November 2020 03:59 AM

I’m guessing it’s the historical association that is distasteful. Impersonating black people in America to make fun of them and their enslavement goes back centuries, something other races didn’t have to face. This is not often understood outside the US.

And yet nobody saw it as a problem back in 2007 - neither developers nor American gamers as far as I’m concerned. They decided to play safe only because of the recent events.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Yeah, maybe. I mean, I wasn’t even aware of it and I played the games, so it could be voice acting doesn’t get as big a spotlight on it, but it seems like the original Bosco voice actor is pretty well known. There was definitely outrage over blackface before BLM and all that.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I just picked at Joey Camen’s biography, and the issue is much bigger than voicing a black character. The guy’s reputation is in ruins since 2019 because of his Youtube channel.

From 2015 to 2016, Camen posted to the “Camen TV” YouTube channel, where the actor would post videos openly mocking transgender people, wearing black-face and other controversial content. In one video he plays “Krey Master J” an over-exaggerated black stereotype that wears a black face mask and openly says the n-word (though it is bleeped out).

In another, Camen wears a purple wig and calls himself “Susan”, a “transgender against trans fats.” The four-minute video uses the term “transvestite” and lacks any form of nuance whatsoever. Another video has Camen dressed up as “Rabbi Goldstein” who can’t seem to understand Black Lives Matter but spits when asked if “goyim” (non-jews) matter. One more has Camen as “Tommy from Thailand” where he says “black man try to fuck with me” and “try to jew me down on stuff.” The 27 videos are full of stale humor, offensive jokes and a poor grasp on modern internet culture.

The videos were later taken down by Camen in 2019. In a statement to Eurogamer, Camen explained his “edgy” comedy - labelled as racist and transphobic - was “parody”, but still pulled the videos as it “was the right thing to do”. Here’s his statement in full:

“I’m sorry and I truly apologize to anyone who was offended. Look, I have been a professional standup comedian, actor and voice actor my entire adult life. I do voices and impressions for a living. I am also Jewish and I grew up in Detroit in primarily black neighborhoods. The voices and characters I do reflect my life experiences and admiration for the people I grew up with. The videos I did were comedy parodies with characters speaking in their vernacular.

Some of my comedy is edgy, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion as to what they think is funny, but please do not refer to me being racist or otherwise. I do not come from a place of hate in any of my work. I removed the videos because I thought it was the right thing to do.

BTW, please note that I never posted a video with myself in blackface. I was wearing a multicolored ski mask and doing a music review of an artist’s new album as a character”.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Well, that explains it. If I was the publisher I would have axed him too, just for the bad publicity.

FWIW, I didn’t think much of Camen’s VA. Every time I had to talk to Bosco I dreaded it, because he was so over the top.

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-12-29

PM

Yikes, that makes it a lot more understandable indeed.

The golden age of mathematics - that was not the age of Euclid, it is ours. -Cassius Jackson Keyser

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Doom - 15 November 2020 04:31 AM
cyfoyjvx - 15 November 2020 03:59 AM

And yet nobody saw it as a problem back in 2007 - neither developers nor American gamers as far as I’m concerned. They decided to play safe only because of the recent events.

Even more strange as nobody saw it as a problem as recent as back in 2016 when a white voice actress voiced a black character in Uncharted 4.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

If you bought Sam & Max Season One directly from Telltale and want to take advantage of the 50% off deal on the remaster, Skunkape has launched a page where you can get a key for the Steam or GOG version of the original: https://upgrade.skunkapegames.com

Once the original is in your Steam/GOG game library, you will be eligible for the discount on the new version. (Through December 31.)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top