• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The astrology thread

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

If there are any members here on the forums into astrology, I’d love to have a thread to discuss our charts or anything else.

Or maybe you think it’s nonsense, and that’s fine too! Smile

I’m a double cancer with moon in sagittarius. For a long time I didn’t relate much to my sun and rising, but I do spend a lot of time in my shell (home) and a lot of that time was spent playing adventure games throughout the years. The sag moon is something I feel has always been there, I’ve traveled a lot even though I don’t always like being away from home, and I’ve lived in a number of different cities and countries. I’ll always be up for an adventure when the opportunity comes around, but if not I’m always happy at home. I don’t really get bored much, which is great, although perhaps not when I’m feeling lazy and need some motivation to get things done.

I’ve been getting more into esoteric astrology, where cancer represents the Cosmic Mother or mass consciousness, and that is something I can relate to even more. I’ve always felt like I feel the moods of others around me, which isn’t easy at times, especially when you don’t know where a certain emotion is coming from. I’m very sensitive to the “vibe” of a room or location, some places don’t feel right and others feel warm and cozy.

So what’s your sign?  Laughing

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

I don’t really know a ton about the specific time of birth, so there are some tiny details I don’t know or understand..  I’m adopted, and most of the documents like birth certificates have gotten lost in the last 30 years.

I too am a Cancer, and I personally love it!

I think that I have all the goofy stereotype traits that a cancer should have.  I like to keep the home, mostly stay with my friends or family.  I don’t like loud noisy, busy places and meeting new people.

Strangely enough everyone I meet seems to instantly trust me and tell me lots of incredibly personal things about themselves that they wouldn’t probably other wise mention to others.

I cook a lot for all of my friends and family members, love to shower them with affection and gifts, and I’m extremely protective of them like a mother.

Have you ever read the book ‘dark side astrology’?  IT emphasizes that sun/moon signs also influence your negative traits, although most astrology rags never mention those.

I also have lots of the less than admirable stereotypical traits of a cancer.  My feelings are easily hurt, and I tend to hold grudges.  I can resort to a victim mentality, and I’m really not adventurous enough.  I could stand to try more new things, and get out of the house.
I spend lots of time alone, ruminating, and when forced into public, I can sometimes sulk.

See the thing is, I had to come to terms with these truths about myself.

Growing up, everyone in the family fought all the time, and when I watched star trek and saw characters like Data, and Spock, I wished I could be like them!  I wish I could be driven by cold-calculating logic.  I thought without strong emotions, then probably I could have harmony with the family in my life.

So I tried really hard to be something I’m not really, but it’s made me into this weird hybrid now of what I wanted to be talented with (logic, impartiality etc), mixed with what I was naturally talented with (communication, empathy, and interpersonal problem solving)

And to this day, if I were to take something like a MBTI, or whatever the new ‘in vogue’ personality inventory is, I tend to split the “thinking/feeling’ 50/50.  BTW, all these personality inventories are equally as reliable as astrology, so by my standards, not at all.

I studied to become a scientist, so often I scoff at these like spooky interests or beliefs of others, but on the other hand, I abandoned christianity really young, and started to read all about wicca, pagan religions, divining the future with tarot, astrology etc.

All that to say, that I have a weird, complicated relationship with these ideas.

For example, in the chinese astrology, I am the “Monkey”, and I have most of the traits that would be considered stereotypical monkey.

And now, I don’t know if I have any stock in this stuff or not.  I mean, it is kind of weird that people born at certain times have certain shared traits.. But how far can I take that observation to support these theories.  IDK..

I understand and accept that some things are outside of my control, but I don’t make it a habit to excuse my bad behavior or quirks with superstition. 

Have you met that kind of person thats like :

“Sorry, I’m such a c*nt, I was born in July, so, I’m just brutally honest Innocent

No.

I’m more the type to recognize and focus on the things that are well within my control or understanding, and take responsibility and owner ship of it. I’m direct, and often it hurts people’s feelings, but despite what my sign is, I’m more than capable of tiptoeing around other’s feelings if I think it’s necessary.
Like I eventually understood that while, I could eventually become a scientist, it made much more sense for me to leverage my natural skills into a career, like interpersonal communication, language studies, and care-taker attitude (I’m a Sign language interpreter for the Deaf) 

So yeah sorry for the ramble.  Check out that book for a good laugh, “Darkside astrology”

Not to be confused with astronomy, which is totally rad.

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Celebreon - 30 May 2020 05:05 PM

I don’t really know a ton about the specific time of birth, so there are some tiny details I don’t know or understand..  I’m adopted, and most of the documents like birth certificates have gotten lost in the last 30 years.

I too am a Cancer, and I personally love it!

I think that I have all the goofy stereotype traits that a cancer should have.  I like to keep the home, mostly stay with my friends or family.  I don’t like loud noisy, busy places and meeting new people.

Strangely enough everyone I meet seems to instantly trust me and tell me lots of incredibly personal things about themselves that they wouldn’t probably other wise mention to others.

I cook a lot for all of my friends and family members, love to shower them with affection and gifts, and I’m extremely protective of them like a mother.

Yep, sounds like a classic cancer! They like to either mother or be mothered. Total homebodies.

From what I’ve learnt, your birth time is pretty important so not having one impacts the accuracy of getting a reading. It’s mostly to do with the houses.

Do you know where your moon is? North node? Or anything else about your chart? I think Venus is supposed to tell you something about your relationships with people.

Have you ever read the book ‘dark side astrology’?  IT emphasizes that sun/moon signs also influence your negative traits, although most astrology rags never mention those.

Never read that one, sounds cool!

I also have lots of the less than admirable stereotypical traits of a cancer.  My feelings are easily hurt, and I tend to hold grudges.  I can resort to a victim mentality, and I’m really not adventurous enough.  I could stand to try more new things, and get out of the house.
I spend lots of time alone, ruminating, and when forced into public, I can sometimes sulk.

See the thing is, I had to come to terms with these truths about myself.

Growing up, everyone in the family fought all the time, and when I watched star trek and saw characters like Data, and Spock, I wished I could be like them!  I wish I could be driven by cold-calculating logic.  I thought without strong emotions, then probably I could have harmony with the family in my life.

So I tried really hard to be something I’m not really, but it’s made me into this weird hybrid now of what I wanted to be talented with (logic, impartiality etc), mixed with what I was naturally talented with (communication, empathy, and interpersonal problem solving)

And to this day, if I were to take something like a MBTI, or whatever the new ‘in vogue’ personality inventory is, I tend to split the “thinking/feeling’ 50/50.  BTW, all these personality inventories are equally as reliable as astrology, so by my standards, not at all.

I studied to become a scientist, so often I scoff at these like spooky interests or beliefs of others, but on the other hand, I abandoned christianity really young, and started to read all about wicca, pagan religions, divining the future with tarot, astrology etc.

All that to say, that I have a weird, complicated relationship with these ideas.

And now, I don’t know if I have any stock in this stuff or not.  I mean, it is kind of weird that people born at certain times have certain shared traits.. But how far can I take that observation to support these theories.  IDK..

I understand and accept that some things are outside of my control, but I don’t make it a habit to excuse my bad behavior or quirks with superstition. 

Have you met that kind of person thats like :

“Sorry, I’m such a c*nt, I was born in July, so, I’m just brutally honest Innocent

No.

I’m more the type to recognize and focus on the things that are well within my control or understanding, and take responsibility and owner ship of it. I’m direct, and often it hurts people’s feelings, but despite what my sign is, I’m more than capable of tiptoeing around other’s feelings if I think it’s necessary.
Like I eventually understood that while, I could eventually become a scientist, it made much more sense for me to leverage my natural skills into a career, like interpersonal communication, language studies, and care-taker attitude (I’m a Sign language interpreter for the Deaf) 

So yeah sorry for the ramble.  Check out that book for a good laugh, “Darkside astrology”

Not to be confused with astronomy, which is totally rad.

Oh, I totally relate to that. I also trained as a scientist and got sidetracked by illness, eventually deciding not to pursue it further. I was/am a Trekkie too. So I’ve always steered clear of anything less than rational, scientific views until recently. If someone told me I’d be posting about astrology with anything less than a negative mindset, I’d have laughed!

And I totally agree that using astrology to excuse habits and behavior or absolve yourself of responsibility is not the way to go.

I don’t take it very seriously, for me it’s just a fun tool for self-examination and learning some things about my tendencies. And I’ve met professional therapists who talk about it and use it as a tool. Even if it’s just to know there’s a cancer archetype which has a lot of personality traits that I have, and to feel OK about that instead of judging myself, on that level it’s been helpful. And that’s without even going into the deeper aspects (other planets, houses, aspects, etc) which most astrologers would say is essential.

Is it real, though? I still don’t know. And if it is, even just a little bit, it’s not real in the same way as astronomy. They’re coming from very different paradigms and comparing them to each other, or examining one in the light of the other, isn’t going to get anyone anywhere. I’d like to be able to look objectively at both for what they are without devaluing either, but I’m not confident at being able to pull that off (and plenty have tried, no doubt).

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Vehelon - 01 June 2020 02:30 AM

Yep, sounds like a classic cancer! They like to either mother or be mothered. Total homebodies.

From what I’ve learnt, your birth time is pretty important so not having one impacts the accuracy of getting a reading. It’s mostly to do with the houses.

Do you know where your moon is? North node? Or anything else about your chart? I think Venus is supposed to tell you something about your relationships with people.

No I really don’t know any of these things about the specifics of it all.

That book was actually called “darkside zodiac”  not astrology, my bad, and in there I was able to infer that they keep track of like a sun sign, a moon sign, and then how I think other planets like Venus and mars are positioned?

I don’t understand it at all really.  I tried once when I was a kid to like use the complicated tables to figure out all of these details, but I’d have to call up mom to see if she remembers when I was born.

The only other thing I wanted to add though, was that I recently dated this guy from India, and he said that in their culture it was normal for the parents to take this astrology information to… like a match maker, and they will compare your chart with the chart of other prospective spouses.  My understanding from what he was telling me was that often the parents are comparing charts and checking with the match-makers without telling the children at all.

They just show up one day with the receipts from the match-maker, and say hey son, I found you the most perfect wife for you!

(I guess, I don’t know.) 

It’s a really foreign idea to me, but what the hell do I know, it’s not like I’ve got it figured out.

So I guess my question to you Vehelon is:

Have you ever been able to do these types of compatibility checks against your chart?

And if you have, were you surprised, or did it feel accurate?

I assume what they are doing for marriage, similar chart comparisons would work for like friends, or other types of relationship?

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2020-05-27

PM

Vehelon - 30 May 2020 04:07 AM

If there are any members here on the forums into astrology, I’d love to have a thread to discuss our charts or anything else.

I’m a double cancer with moon in sagittarius. For a long time I didn’t relate much to my sun and rising, but I do spend a lot of time in my shell (home) and a lot of that time was spent playing adventure games throughout the years. The sag moon is something I feel has always been there, I’ve traveled a lot even though I don’t always like being away from home, and I’ve lived in a number of different cities and countries. I’ll always be up for an adventure when the opportunity comes around, but if not I’m always happy at home. I don’t really get bored much, which is great, although perhaps not when I’m feeling lazy and need some motivation to get things done.

I’ve been getting more into esoteric astrology, where cancer represents the Cosmic Mother or mass consciousness, and that is something I can relate to even more. I’ve always felt like I feel the moods of others around me, which isn’t easy at times, especially when you don’t know where a certain emotion is coming from. I’m very sensitive to the “vibe” of a room or location, some places don’t feel right and others feel warm and cozy.

So what’s your sign?  Laughing

Hey!
I’m into esoteric not so long ago, and my knowledge in astrology was limited to weekly horoscopes in magazines.
Judging by the natal chart, I am Aries, with the Moon in Pisces and the rising Cancer.
Probably nothing at all from my Sun sign.

Recently, I have been paying more attention to the position of planets in the sky and their “influence” on current events. Last year, I came across a map of retrograde planets for 2020, and ... It looked creepy.

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Celebreon - 01 June 2020 07:06 AM
Vehelon - 01 June 2020 02:30 AM

No I really don’t know any of these things about the specifics of it all.

That book was actually called “darkside zodiac”  not astrology, my bad, and in there I was able to infer that they keep track of like a sun sign, a moon sign, and then how I think other planets like Venus and mars are positioned?

I don’t understand it at all really.  I tried once when I was a kid to like use the complicated tables to figure out all of these details, but I’d have to call up mom to see if she remembers when I was born.

It’s really not complicated now, just use a site like astro.com or cafeastrology and if you have your birth details it will give you a free natal report.

The only other thing I wanted to add though, was that I recently dated this guy from India, and he said that in their culture it was normal for the parents to take this astrology information to… like a match maker, and they will compare your chart with the chart of other prospective spouses.  My understanding from what he was telling me was that often the parents are comparing charts and checking with the match-makers without telling the children at all.

They just show up one day with the receipts from the match-maker, and say hey son, I found you the most perfect wife for you!

(I guess, I don’t know.) 

It’s a really foreign idea to me, but what the hell do I know, it’s not like I’ve got it figured out.

So I guess my question to you Vehelon is:

Have you ever been able to do these types of compatibility checks against your chart?

And if you have, were you surprised, or did it feel accurate?

I assume what they are doing for marriage, similar chart comparisons would work for like friends, or other types of relationship?

I’ve had a look at those kind of chart comparisons with some ex-partners, and although I don’t take them too seriously I can say that, going by general chemistry, I generally have a good compatibility with Sagittarius suns (which is meant to be one of, if not the best, matches for a Cancer sun). I don’t know if I can say more than that.

But using a match maker to find a wife for your son, before they have even met? That’s veering into borderline ‘insane’ levels if you ask me. But I know that Vedic astrology is hugely important in Hindu culture, so who am I to judge.

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Vehelon - 03 June 2020 12:44 AM

I’ve had a look at those kind of chart comparisons with some ex-partners, and although I don’t take them too seriously I can say that, going by general chemistry, I generally have a good compatibility with Sagittarius suns (which is meant to be one of, if not the best, matches for a Cancer sun). I don’t know if I can say more than that.

But using a match maker to find a wife for your son, before they have even met? That’s veering into borderline ‘insane’ levels if you ask me. But I know that Vedic astrology is hugely important in Hindu culture, so who am I to judge.

Okay So you feel like there is definitely a correlation between the astrology chart predicted compatibility, and your personal experience is that right?

(I always thought the dream team was Cancer+Pisces, shows how much I know)

As much as I probably sound like a dick, I’m truly genuine in my fascination with this kind of spooky stuff, I just have a bad habit of being the devil’s advocate.

But, truth be told, I was all into looking for some kind of ‘sign’ when I was younger.  I’m a bit of a hopeless romantic, and I think I have this ideal about being destined for each other.  When in reality, it’s probably just about finding someone that wants to grow together, and is willing to put in the work.

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Celebreon - 03 June 2020 09:54 PM
Vehelon - 03 June 2020 12:44 AM

Okay So you feel like there is definitely a correlation between the astrology chart predicted compatibility, and your personal experience is that right?

Hmm… I don’t think so, no. The most I can say is I like the Sagittarius energy (positive, fiery, truthful) and get along with those I’ve met, and that isn’t nearly enough information for the basis of a relationship.

For compatibility I think you’d have to look at all the planets, aspects, houses. I tried doing that and it was not that helpful, so maybe you need a good astrologer to do it.

And yeah, cancer + pisces is meant to be a good match. But that doesn’t tell us much. 8-9% of the people in the world are pisces, and 8-9% of the population of males or females are pisces. Does that mean every cancer will find those 8-9% a good match? I really doubt it. Most likely some will hate each other.

My personal experience with pisces is they’re too gloomy for me with a tendency for low moods. (my dad is one and a good friend too). I can be gloomy and low energy at times so I need someone bright and positive to balance me out.

As much as I probably sound like a dick, I’m truly genuine in my fascination with this kind of spooky stuff, I just have a bad habit of being the devil’s advocate.

But, truth be told, I was all into looking for some kind of ‘sign’ when I was younger.  I’m a bit of a hopeless romantic, and I think I have this ideal about being destined for each other.  When in reality, it’s probably just about finding someone that wants to grow together, and is willing to put in the work.

I would trust my own experience with someone more than what any chart says. And if you do find someone to grow with together, in whatever way, whoever it is, isn’t that destiny too?

Total Posts: 191

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

Sagittarius, Sagittarius rising, moon in Virgo, if memory serves one or two other lesser planets in Sagittarius as well (I’ve got a full chart somewhere around here but I’d have to dig for it), so every thing you’ve ever heard about us Centaurs, good AND bad, goes double for me.

As for Sagittarius and Cancer being a good match, well… that depends: We appreciate their subtlety, tact, and grace which are usually “just right” and not overdone and we enthusiastically take up the challenge of helping them overcome their natural timidity, they like our brash forthrightness and ability to cut through all the BS and get right to the heart of a matter along with what to them seems like general fearlessness in us, but for Crabs and Centaurs to get along best these exchanges of attitudes and outlooks need to be done in concentrated bursts with breaks in between rather than continuously over long periods, so we’re much better off as friends than as lovers.

Warning- People won’t have as much of a sense of humor about you putting an Alka Seltzer in your mouth then staggering into a restaurant while shouting “THE VIRUS HAS MUTATED!” as you’d hope they would.

Consider this: People say “Ewwww!!!” when they hear about a guy having a hairy bum or hairy back, yet every Teddy Bear ever made has had both a hairy bum AND a hairy back and nobody complains about them; In fact, people think Teddy Bears are adorable.

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

It can be intense, I’ll grant you that. I feel like I need a break sometimes, but most of the time I’m up for the challenge. You really have to have a shared purpose of helping each other, which I think we do. Maybe that’s down to my moon in Sagittarius, I don’t know.

Total Posts: 8469

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Well…  Innocent

I’m not going to butt in on the thread. But I will post this hereCrazy

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5553

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

When I was in college, I remember reading about a science professor who had a discussion with his students about astrology.  He asked each student to write down his/her birthdate, and the next time they met, he handed out a description of their characteristics based on those dates.  Each student agreed that the descriptions were accurate, after which he revealed that each student had received exactly same description.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 7419

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Flat Earth, anyone?

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 5553

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’ve heard that if the earth were flat, cats would have pushed everything off it by now. Smile

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Karlok - 15 July 2020 01:06 PM

Flat Earth, anyone?

Did you notice that I wrote about my experiences with it, explained my skepticism and distaste for astrology, and asked follow up questions to try to facilitate conversation?

Vehelon has been really active and really kind on these forums.

But I find we’ve ventured into not nice territory, and the forum guidelines suggest that we be nice to each other.

Even Lady K shared an anecdote about when a teacher challenged a student on their interest in the spooky stuff (although I would like to point out that zodiac/astrology stuff does tend to be specific enough to have some form of disagreement other wise it would just be generic tabloid junk).

I’m equally guilty of being snarky, sarcastic, wry, and whatever else, but let’s not run people off please.

Total Posts: 7419

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Celebreon - 15 July 2020 05:35 PM
Karlok - 15 July 2020 01:06 PM

Flat Earth, anyone?

Did you notice that I wrote about my experiences with it, explained my skepticism and distaste for astrology, and asked follow up questions to try to facilitate conversation?

Not really, I read the thread diagonally.

Vehelon has been really active and really kind on these forums.

Yes. I have nothing against Vehelon. I have nothing against you. On the contrary.

But I find we’ve ventured into not nice territory, and the forum guidelines suggest that we be nice to each other.

Nice? I’m the forum bitch. (Well… unofficially.) But frankly, I don’t see much difference between the responses from Timovieman, LadyKestrel, and me. They all express disbelief. What was it about my response that was too close for comfort?

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top