• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What are you reading?

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

A ‘reading’ thread is necessary in the forums imho, so it’s time to start one. And I also have a special reason for it right now: Please give me your recommendations for something to read on my vacaton!
I’m currently reading Umberto Eco’s The Prague Cemetery (Swedish translation)and it’s a bit ‘heavy’ for vacation-reading. I need something easy to digest reading-wise, preferably not crime stories.
Cheers Jelena

Lazy Bee
Temporary guest in your life.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

I just finished it myself! I loved it Smile I didn’t find it that heavy though, I think it’s the lightest of Eco’s books… It’s definitely not to be taken very seriously.

I’m reading Veikko Huovinen’s Veitikka (translatable as “Rascal”), (with the subtitle ‘The Life and Times of A. Hitler’) which is a sort of mockumentary book about Hitler’s life (combines real and made-up). I don’t think it has been translated outside Finnish though, unfortunately. It’s a wonderful book, I think it would’ve had a good amount of readers outside Finnish…
In Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veitikka

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I’m currently been on a spree of these (gothic) romantic suspense books. It’s my “guilty pleasure” though I am not really that ashamed of them anyway. Barbara Michaels mostly. I can strongly recommend the books by Madeleine Brent (aka Peter O’Donnel, the maker of Modesty Blaise) which are not pure gothic, more like these suspenseful adventures with a romance. They’re not at all as fluff as most romantic books are and the stories are really engaging.

And at least some of Huovinen’s books have been translated. I’ve just worked 6 weeks in a library and seen them in all kinds of languages. Havukka-ahon ajattelija and Eco’s Name of the Rose are still on my to-read list.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

My guilty pleasure atm are novels with some kind of twist in the space time continuum, or how to put it. Grin For instance The Time Traveler’s Wife, Kate Mosse’s novels: Labyrinth, Sepulchre and The Winter Ghosts and Haruki Murakami’s trilogy 1Q84. (Haven’t read the last one though)
I’ll check your recommendations out Millenia, thanks! Smile

Lazy Bee

Total Posts: 235

Joined 2004-09-18

PM

(I always have to be in the right frame of mind to read anything by Umberto Eco, it took me months to finish Foucault’s Pendulum.)

When my contract at the university ended, I had decided to catch up on my reading. Mini Smile Over several months I finished some completed manga series that I’d been collecting for several years, shônen titles like Shaman King and Hôshin Engi. Right now, I’m trying to keep on top of current series like Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Blue Exorcist and Kekkaishi (which just ended in Japan last year).

I’ve also resumed reading the Discworld series, most recently, Thief of Time and the more recent Watch novels Night Watch, Thud! and Snuff. There is a plot connection between ToT and NW, and both involve messing with the time-space continuum. Wink Hopefully I can get through a few more DW novels by the end of summer (Unseen Academicals, Going Postal, Making Money, Tiffany Aching series).

Diabolus ex Machina since 1993

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

The last book I finished was Alpha by Greg Rucka.

It was basically Die Hard in a Disney style theme park as a bunch of terrorists take over the park and threaten to release a deadly virus via a dirty bomb. it’s up to the head of security, ex military, to save they day and his deaf daughter at the same time.

It was ok, but a tad derivative.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i dont know if you are a fan of S.King ot the Dark Tower, but wind through the keyhole is something you should consider jelena Smile

Total Posts: 165

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

Jelena - 07 July 2012 11:18 AM

Haruki Murakami’s trilogy 1Q84. (Haven’t read the last one though)

Hoping to be getting / starting these soon as a big Murakami fan (managed to write one of my last university essays on ‘A Wild Sheep Chase’, which was a lot of (nerdy) fun).

Currently, I’m reading ‘The Great Gatsby’. Smile

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Jelena - 07 July 2012 11:18 AM

My guilty pleasure atm are novels with some kind of twist in the space time continuum, or how to put it. Grin For instance The Time Traveler’s Wife, Kate Mosse’s novels: Labyrinth, Sepulchre and The Winter Ghosts and Haruki Murakami’s trilogy 1Q84. (Haven’t read the last one though)
I’ll check your recommendations out Millenia, thanks! Smile

Did you ever try one of Terry Pratchett’s books? They are very funny and at the same time very ‘deep’ sometimes. I recommend Feet of Clay, Going Postal, Hogfather… I have them in English. I can send you one or two if you’d like that.

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

Yes, I’ve read Hogfather (in English) which I enjoyed a lot. I then tried another Pratchett, can’t remember which one right now though, but the ‘word games’ (Engslish as well) made it difficult for me to fully appreciate it. It just became confusing and in the end I lost interest. I don’t want to try out a Swedish translation though since I beliveve Pratchett’s use of language shouldn’t and can’t be translated.
Thanks anyway for the offer. Smile

Also thanks for all the recommendations I’ve received! Much appreciated! Smile

Lazy Bee

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I’ve read a few of Pratchett’s books too, including Night Watch and Thief of Time which were mentioned. I was thinking of going for the earlier novels now, but while I was reading Color of Magic I noticed I’ve already read it Grin. But will finish it anyway, don’t remember much of it. I ordered the other starter novels now for myself: Equal Rites (witches), Mort (death) and Guards! Guards! (nightwatch) among with some Barbara Michaels novels that haven’t been translated to Finnish and Gaiman’s American Gods. I haven’t read any of these but I’m confident they’re all good Wink.

I’m also going to check out this Murakami character. 1Q84 doesn’t seem to be translated yet and my Japanese is definitely not enough for reading a novel, so which of the older works would you recommend?

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Jelena - 08 July 2012 03:58 AM

Yes, I’ve read Hogfather (in English) which I enjoyed a lot. I then tried another Pratchett, can’t remember which one right now though, but the ‘word games’ (Engslish as well) made it difficult for me to fully appreciate it. It just became confusing and in the end I lost interest. I don’t want to try out a Swedish translation though since I beliveve Pratchett’s use of language shouldn’t and can’t be translated.
Thanks anyway for the offer. Smile

Also thanks for all the recommendations I’ve received! Much appreciated! Smile

I know what you mean. It took me I think 15 years or so to almost fully appreciate Pratchett.
Since we like the same games that must hold for books as well. So some more recommendations from me:
Ben Elton. Approximately 50% of his books are great fun.
Mike Gayle. He writes about relationships etc. in a funny way.
Neil Gaiman. He has done some things with Pratchett but does not use many puns and other word jokes. Read Coraline and watch the movie!

And you know I like Dickens but I can hardly recommend him because his English is even harder than Pratchett’s.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I’m surprised none of the women are readiung those 50 shades of grey books. It’s all the women in the office seem to be talking about at the moment.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 236

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

^
Probably because the female members here aren’t shallow and have better taste Wink

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

tsa - 08 July 2012 05:39 AM

Since we like the same games that must hold for books as well. So some more recommendations from me:
Ben Elton. Approximately 50% of his books are great fun.
Mike Gayle. He writes about relationships etc. in a funny way.
Neil Gaiman. He has done some things with Pratchett but does not use many puns and other word jokes. Read Coraline and watch the movie!

Will check them out! As soon as the thunder stops. We’ve had thunder come and go most of the day today. When I finally think it’s over and loggs in, there comes another rumble.  Angry

Lazy Bee

Total Posts: 334

Joined 2003-10-16

PM

Just finished reading Tamar by Mal Peet. The story is half sent in Holland during the winter of 1944/45 (the Hunger Winter as it was known) and half set in 1995. The 1945 sections follow the exploits of two SOE operatives, code-named Dart and Tamar, in occupied Holland. These sections are truly harrowing and disturbingly plausible. While details are changed for story purposes, a lot of what happens is based on actual accounts and events of the period. The modern sections follow young Tamar, named after her grandfather’s code-name, as she tries to find out why he killed himself. An excellent read, and no-one should let the “young adult” classification put you off.

I’d also recommend his more recent “Life: An Exploded Diagram”.

No Nonsense Nonsonnets 44

Quest for Knowledge

I’m hoping to find name for game that I played long ago
The people here so well-informed, someone is sure to know
A time machine, grandfather clock, I give it to myself
Oh never mind, the box is sitting there upon my shelf

For real retro gaming nerds, name that game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top