• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #64 – Oknytt

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

millenia - 25 February 2021 07:56 PM
colpet - 25 February 2021 03:10 PM

Well I got that hint. But my interpretation was all the holes would be the same when tried, so I thought “That was that done.” In my mind it was a dead end. I did not appreciate some of the openings were smaller (or shallower) that others. Again, I think it is more my fault for not being used to this type of challenge in adventures.

Oh, but then you were indeed not paying attention. You didn’t get: ‘hmm, no. That’s not how it went’. You should have known something was up. Wink

Definitely! I’ll know for next time.
Thanks to everyone for the feedback and help. It was fun to play a game with some company, especially in these times of isolation and lockdown (for us, anyways).

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

Big thanks to everyone involved in the playthrough, and especially Sefir for leading it!

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Yeah, this was my first participation in a community playthrough and it was fun. Good type of game for this too. I think I came as far as completing the first chapter of Oknytt the first time around (several years ago) and doubt I would have given it another go again if it hadn’t been for this.

Thanks Sefir for leading the playthrough and the rest of you for, well, participating!

Edit: And if you still hunger for some Scandinavian folklore, try out Year Walk (https://store.steampowered.com/app/269050/Year_Walk/). I played it on my iPad a few years ago and enjoyed it.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Thanks everyone for participating on a very successful Oknytt playthrough!

We had a great time and many interesting discussions!! Smile

Ofc whoever hasn’t finished the game yet is still free to post their thoughts and comments on the game, but I believe that it is time for the thread to be unpinned.

Veovis - 26 February 2021 07:59 AM

Edit: And if you still hunger for some Scandinavian folklore, try out Year Walk (https://store.steampowered.com/app/269050/Year_Walk/). I played it on my iPad a few years ago and enjoyed it.

I consider Year Walk far scarier than Oknytt! Entirely different game as well, but very nice atmosphere. Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Just to let you know that I’m still playing. But because every session comes down to “try everything on everything” and the game hasn’t really been improving much, it’s hard to motivate myself enough to continue, while my PS4 is still “new” and alluring… Tongue

Finished chapter 4. Took me a while to figure out how the mechanism to open the cave worked. Took me a lot longer to figure out how the puzzle in the cave worked. Especially because I didn’t link it to the snake’s riddle - which I hadn’t puzzled out either.

I’m still having the same issues with it as in previous chapters: the folklore is interesting but the game doesn’t seem to do anything with it, the narration is cute but devoid of humour and the lack of a more unique response than “Hmmmm, no no, that’s not what happened” is *really* annoying, and the style is fitting and recognizable but a tad too dark for comfort. Add to that the illogical puzzles (that are almost exclusively solved by just trying everything on everything), and the story not taking off at any point, and this is a hard game to love… which isn’t helping my will to continue…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

TimovieMan - 02 March 2021 01:06 PM

Just to let you know that I’m still playing. But because every session comes down to “try everything on everything” and the game hasn’t really been improving much, it’s hard to motivate myself enough to continue, while my PS4 is still “new” and alluring… Tongue

I played about 10 minutes into Chapter 4, and asked myself why I was continuing to torture myself trying to finish a game I obviously don’t like. I said essentially the same thing about the voice actor. He’s very good, but I don’t like the script he was given to read. The “try everything on everything” mechanic was old by the end of Chapter 2. The graphics are well done, but far too dark for my taste. And the game has probably turned me off to any future game that involves Norse mythology. Other than that…

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I was very frustrated with some of the puzzles initially and I still think they definitely could be improved, but the game got better for me and there was less frustration in the later chapters. I’m glad I didn’t give up. The game is only good though, not great. Quite possibly it could have been great if the puzzles were implemented better.

I think I didn’t yet give my thanks. So thank you Sefir for leading and everyone else for participating.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Finished the game.

Despite the fact that the game doesn’t have a real story (it’s more like one long-winded quest), it has an ending that I liked - even if I don’t fully understand its reasons. We got to say goodbye to our “insignificant” protagonist creature at a moment that felt fitting, and while it couldn’t help the älva get its wings, I feel that its helpful nature gave the älva the strength it needed to grow them on its own accord.
That felt beautiful, even if it’s a little bittersweet that the little creature never knew that it DID succeed after all.

It’s a pity that we’re not given a clearer look at what our little creature is within the folklore. We’re given info on every creature we encounter except the one we’re playing as.
It could have helped to make the impact of the ending a bit bigger.

All in all, there are a lot of things to like about this game: the ending, the unique dark visuals, the use of elemental powers, the excellent sound effects throughout, the skillful voice-over, a unique view at little-known folklore, ...
But there are also quite a few things to dislike. The lack of a real story is apparent throughout, and the puzzle design is piss-poor to the point that almost all of them are only solved by trying everything on everything, and their solutions only make sense in hindsight (if at all). And there’s the undeniable fact that the game lacks humour or anything to alleviate the mood set by the dark visuals. This is completely at odds with the “children’s fairy tale” feel of the narration (and yes, I realize that a lot of the old fairy tales like those by the Brothers Grimm or Hans Christian Andersen are fairly bleak and humourless too)...

These downsides make the game hard to truly enjoy, which is why I’m giving it a middling score.

Oknytt - 2.5/5

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top