• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

luckyloserTheTMDwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I just finished Ace Attorney Spirt of Justice and simply loved it, best in the series by far. Great addition to the series. A true classic - I would recommend this game to anyone.

Graphics, characters and story were top notch.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I also just finished A New Beginning and I also simply loved this one too. best in the series by far. A true classic - I recall seeing this game for sale in Italy a few years ago for 50 Euros.

For me, it was the characters that made the game so interesting, very personable, not 2D in anyway.

The graphics got an Aggie and well deserved too. I would also recommend this game to anyone who loves old school adventure games.

Graphics, characters and story were also top notch, wow two great adventure games back to back for me. I hope this trend continues.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Shoot, because of a snowstorm making me stay at home, I finished Detective Grimoire also. I did find the game charming and quite funny till the end. The puzzles are different, however many are very simplistic. The story, while fun and humorous was too short for me, only about 6 hours long.

However, it’s an indie title done so well you could almost mistake it for an AA game. I am now going to play Runaway again, I loved it a few years ago.

Heart

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Adv_Lvr - 19 February 2021 07:20 AM

Shoot, because of a snowstorm making me stay at home, I finished Detective Grimoire also. I did find the game charming and quite funny till the end. The puzzles are different, however many are very simplistic. The story, while fun and humorous was too short for me, only about 6 hours long.

However, it’s an indie title done so well you could almost mistake it for an AA game. I am now going to play Runaway again, I loved it a few years ago.

Heart

I would strongly recommend it’s sequel, Tangle Tower!

It’s longer and a bit more polished. I think there are a couple of mini-puzzles (I can’t remember if the first game had those), but in general, the gameplay is more of the same. The characters are awesome, though.

Last game I finished: Riven. I think it broke me, but I wasn’t in a great state before, so it’s hard to tell.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I would strongly recommend it’s sequel, Tangle Tower!

It’s longer and a bit more polished. I think there are a couple of mini-puzzles (I can’t remember if the first game had those), but in general, the gameplay is more of the same. The characters are awesome, though.

Yes, Tangle Tower is right up my alley, gotta give it a play real soon. I hope these people keep making games, they make some of the best indies around period.

Heart

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Tangle Tower was really charming! I didn’t really like the direction the finale went to in the end, but it was a fun game overall.

Buddy Collection Extra: Buddy Collection is a series of mystery novel games with minor otome (dating sim) elements, which can be played for free (in Japanese) on browsers/smartphones. “Extra” is an extra chapter developer Narutrick made especially for the Switch as they seem to have trouble getting the usual episodes out there. You play Nagisa, a student of a detective school, who lost her memory while investigating a case. Now she’s put in the lowest-level class to recover, where she can team up with three ‘buddies’. At the start of the game, you pick one of the buddies, and you wind up in a small house in the middle of the woods, where one year ago a woman committed suicide, and now her brother and three of her friends have gathered there. From there the story is completely different depending on the buddy you chose: different people are killed under different circumstances. Each route will reveal only part of the backstory, so you have to play the game with alll three buddies (and one final time) to reveal the complete story behind why the murder occurs in this house. Fun, short game. It’s more a novel game, so the gameplay is more about selecting the right choices and finding your way down the flowchart without getting killed yourself.

Agatha Christie’s The ABC Murders: The recent-ish Switch port. I like the visual style (and the office seems inspired by the office in later seasons in David Suchet’s Poirot!) and I think it has some really neat moments if you know the original book: the psychological profiling you do with each character when you meet them is really Poirot-ish, and it fits the theme of the story perfect. The short reconstructions of the crimes, as well as the attempt to create a secondary red herring are okay. But I absolutely hate these detective games where evidence is always kept inside some kind of puzzle box! Why does everyone in this game, or or example the Frogwares Holmes games, own elaborate puzzle boxes where they keep important stuff?! Why does a person late in the game have a suitcase that consists of like six different mechanisms that open in order, meaning the suitcase is absolutely useless as an actual suitcase, given that 80% of the whole object consist of puzzles, while he could’ve just used a lock!

Umineko: When They Cry Episode 1 & 2: The recent Switch version of the infamous mystery novel game. And this is one of those novel games where you don’t even get to make story-changing choices, so really all you do is just read a story. It’s a meta-mystery where seemingly impossible crimes occur which the Golden Witch Beatrice assures you were commited with magic, but Battler, one of the victims of the Rokkenjima island mass murder case, refuses to believe her magic and they hold a battle of the wits where Beatrice influences events so these impossible murders keep happening on Rokkenjima, while Battler has to figure out how a human could’ve done the same thing w/o magic. I’m just halfway through the Question arc now, so I’m not even sure whether I’m supposed to be able to solve the murders in episode 1 and 2 already, but I’ll just advance in the game until at least I’m done with the four Question episodes before I’ll really try to figure the thing out

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2020-12-03

PM

Yesterday - 1/5
Disappointed, didn’t like the story although it seemed interesting at first and had potential; the whole Master backflash thing for example was just silly and out of place, also very short overall. Didn’t like most of the characters (best were the evil ones) and the puzzles were all the same (first walk around and collect all items of the section then combine the items, then interact with stuff and repeat in each section, no variety at all). Only good thing, the game is technically well made, wouldn’t play again.

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Two games finished recently.

First, I wanna give a shout out to one of my most anticipated games of the year that did not disappoint, but thoroughly impressed - “Buddy Simulator 1984”
It’s a strange and funny (as oxymoronic as it sounds) horror adventure. It’s a story about obsession and dependency that reaches extreme proportions shown through a simultaneous journey through game graphics and blend of genres, although it is an adventure at its core.
The game starts relatively simple - you get a little computer friend - your buddy - as a sim program, and this buddy of yours is trying to do his very best to keep you happy and engaged in playing with him. His very VERY best. Because all he wants is for you to be happy. And if, even for a moment, you don’t seem all that excited - well, buddy just going to try harder. He just wants to be your “bestest” of friends. No matter what.

The best part of this game is that it starts as a simple command screen when you have to run basic commands to launch a program. Then it progresses to a word adventure where you get to type iconic “go left” and “look and the skull” kinda of things. As buddy keeps updating the graphics (in hopes you’ll enjoy the game better), you progress to simple black and white world where you can explore and talk to people, then to a basic RPG with prime colors and a rudimentary battle system, then on to… Well, you get the point.
Even though it’s a horror in a psychological underlying sense, the game is funny and some interactions are absolutely absurd and silly. It works great together.

Quick note for anyone who’s interested in this kind of bizarre adventure - the RPG part of the game, while having a very goofy combat, might be a no-go for those who don’t like that kind of thing. It’s not difficult per se, it’s more that couple of last bosses can be called somewhat challenging, and yes - it’s a whole chapter based on these mechanics, so keep it in mind. (At the moment of writing this, I got an update that the game releases “one key mode” for those who find difficulty in combat. I haven’t checked what exactly this entails yet, as I liked the game the way it was, but considering that people requested a “story mode” for those who are there only for adventure - it might be an easier way to play this game. I’ll check.)

This won’t be for everyone, but it definitely goes on my GOTY list, even though it’s only an end of February. Brilliant game!

Second game is “Return of the Obra Dinn”. Man, was I late to the party! What a phenomenal game! If I had the chance - I’d play it in one sitting, but I had to split my 10 hours in two Grin I absolutely loved piecing everything together, almost like a jigsaw and a logic puzzle in one; loved how actually creepy the story turned out; loved the style and the visuals. It’s a gem of a game, nothing I can really add to the rightfull praise it already gotten here and elsewhere. Simply wonderful!

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I actually played There is No Game. - now this game is really strange. But also really funny. I Have never played a game even remotely similar to this one before. I hope it sells well. For a first game, it’s really amazing. Can’t wait to see what they put out next.

Heart

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

There is no game was indeed fun. I think almost the whole game was developed by a single person. The original game(as the newly released one is technically a sequel/reimaging/expansion) can be downloaded for free on Steam.

@Tanteikid

Let me know your final thoughts on Umineko. I tried to go through Higurashi but it’s too much of a drag.

Total Posts: 837

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

I also *just* (like, a minute ago) finished There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension.

Despite all the very positive reviews, I had avoided this Not Game because it seemed very ‘meta’ and I usually don’t like that meta sort of humor. Since I never read anything about the plot of a game before I play it, all I knew about this Not A Game is what I could glean from the title.
After it pretty much swept the Aggies this year, and reading everyone’s comments on how fantastic the writing, acting, and characters were, I decided I’d give it a go.
Well, after 10 minutes of playing I called my brother and my mom and said ‘Hey, you’ve GOT TO download this! Don’t read anything about it, just download it. It’s one of the funniest and most creative pieces of writing I’ve ever seen in a game—or out of a game!’

Four hours and thirty minutes of gameplay time later, how do I feel about it?
(There will be no spoilers, for those who haven’t played it yet)

What I like:

- So creative.
- Despite being so creative and fresh, it is almost perfectly executed.
- The surprises don’t stop.
- Despite not being an adventure game, it still feels like an adventure.
- The writing is top notch. And I mean *top* notch, not just for a game. Which is good, since there is no game.
- Likewise, the voice acting is perfect.
- The plot is not as hard to follow as it could have been.
- There are lots and lots of puzzles. Almost all of them are very strong. They strike that perfect level of difficulty where they are all doable without becoming frustrating, but I still felt smart or clever for solving them.
- MEMORABLE! Like so many of the best games (I’m not saying that this is a game, I’m just saying it has something in common with certain games), TING:WD is LOADED with moments that I will remember, discuss, and reference with my friends and family who have experienced it, perhaps for years to come.
- The song.
- The humor (this is subjective, but it was great for me).

What I didn’t like:

- The highs are so high, especially the opening (partly because it is so surprising), that the less inspired moments, most of which are excellent in their own right, seem lower than they actually are.
- In a certain chapter it commits, to a degree where the game is still fun but also a little annoying, the cardinal sin of imitating the thing that it is mocking, and in the process becoming the thing that it is mocking. If you parody a bad movie by making a bad movie of your own, your movie is still bad. The fact that you did it intentionally doesn’t really make it more enjoyable for the viewer.
- The plot was easier to follow than it could have been, but certain key points were ‘blink and you missed it’, and I feel could have been told a little clearer.
- The last 30 seconds of game
play.
- The endings.

Overall:

9/10

Absolutely worthy of the praise. This is a landmark game that will hopefully settle into a place alongside other genre classics such as Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, etc.
I can’t help but wonder how a game similar to this one would have gone down in the 90’s heyday of adventure gaming. I think it definitely would have been more of a Legend product than a Sierra or LucasArts one.
I also wonder if this might appeal to and catch on with casual gamers as much as adventure gamers, if it could somehow break through into that demographic.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2020-08-13

PM

I just finished Girl of Glass: A Summer Bird’s Tale, and man does that game go some PLACES. I did not expect the story to stretch out and be as huge as it became. The art was fantastic. I wanna see more from that team in that style… or at least see that illustrator do some comic books.

Anyone play this one? The point-and-click stuff was pretty good, especially later in the game, but the turn-based combat was kinda garbage. Not even just like… “Im an adventure gamer and I don’t like combat in my games!” but it was just so poorly put together. I kind of liked how it played into the story, but a lot of those battles were a slog to get through…

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2020-08-13

PM

Adv_Lvr - 18 February 2021 01:47 PM

I also just finished A New Beginning and I also simply loved this one too. best in the series by far. A true classic - I recall seeing this game for sale in Italy a few years ago for 50 Euros.

For me, it was the characters that made the game so interesting, very personable, not 2D in anyway.

The graphics got an Aggie and well deserved too. I would also recommend this game to anyone who loves old school adventure games.

Graphics, characters and story were also top notch, wow two great adventure games back to back for me. I hope this trend continues.

I loved the graphics in A New Beginning but that writing really got to me… the dialogue was so stiff and robotic. I wonder if that’s just a translation issue and it + the voice acting might have been better in the original language…

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

no, not the translation, the games goes downhill narrative-wise after chapter3

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Wow, I’m glad I never got past chapter 2 (I think) then. Definitely one of Daedalic’s weakest efforts.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top