• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

RPG and Puzzle adventures for kids

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2020-07-28

PM

Hi,

This is something I have been doing to play with my son Alex (6yo). A few months ago, I started creating role-playing like adventures. I create cards for enemies and treasures, a short story and level maps. We then build the levels out of toys (Lego blocks, Brio tracks) and our heroes are Lego animals that represent some characters invented by my son. He uses them to move through the levels, fighting against the enemies which are divided in Enemies, Captains, Lieutenants and Bosses. Like a role-playing game, enemies and heroes have health points which we keep track of on a sheet of paper.

After playing a few of these adventures, I decided to create a different kind, based not on fights, but on solving puzzles, in a way similar to point-and-click games. Like the previous adventures, we build the levels out of toys, and use one of my son’s heroes. In each level, there are small enigmas to solve: for instance, using a bottle of water found in one room to extinguish a fire in another room. There are also some activities to complete based on easy calculations, labyrinths… to progress and complete the levels.

My son really enjoyed playing these games, and after some time he started building levels of his own for me to play and coming up with ideas for the next adventures. Seeing this, I thought other children could be interested, and created a website where I add all the adventures I create: https://adventures-for-kids.com.

As I just started this, any constructive feedback, positive or negative, would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2020-09-23

PM

This is wonderful! I love how you drew the classes on top of real mice lol My older sibling and I did our own D&D-lite when we were younger and it was a blast. There’s really something about creating our own toys.

Franck180 - 28 July 2020 08:32 AM

As I just started this, any constructive feedback, positive or negative, would be much appreciated.

I’ll be sure to try them out in the future with my little nephew. As a first suggestion, it would help to view the games & pieces in multiple, larger photos like it’s displayed in the kidsdungeonaventures website, just to get a better idea of what we’re dealing with. And seeing as kids are immediately grabbed by neat cutsie art, have you tried drawing or hiring an artist to do the cards, for example, like those of Mouse Guard? Just so they have all a common artstyle which helps with worldbuilding.

As an aside, I found that kids (maybe a bit older than 6 yo) really tend to resonate with short Interaction Fictions, as you can see from this wonderful YT video of a dad showing his son the ropes – it’s great for critical thinking too.

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2021-01-19

PM

Thanks for the resource!

Been playing games since ‘82

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2020-07-28

PM

Hi, new adventure posted on the site: https://adventures-for-kids.com/. Follow us on Facebook to stay updated!

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2018-03-21

PM

Does anyone know if the questing, problem solving and puzzles approach to Point and Click is good for mental acuity and development/maintenance?

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2021-03-15

PM

Abhi D. - 25 March 2021 04:44 AM

Does anyone know if the questing, problem solving and puzzles approach to Point and Click is good for mental acuity and development/maintenance?

Why not? Many people develop attention well. There are many casual games on Steam and I think you can find something interesting among them.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top