• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

KeybordzSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recommended TV serials

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

TimovieMan - 15 March 2019 05:36 PM
chrissie - 15 March 2019 04:20 PM

I have to confess to loving the cheesy 1970s Battelstar Galactica series because I had a thing for Apollo Heart  Laughing

Then you’ll be pleased to hear that his actor Richard Hatch also plays a side character (appearing in 20-something episodes) in the newer series. Wink

Oh….but he died Cry

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

I watch an unhealthy quantity of series…

The ones that have impressed me the most in the last years are Legion, The Leftovers and Twin Peaks Season 3. So I guess I enjoy series that mess with your mind.

More recently Bodyguard (with GoT Robb Stark) didn’t make much noise but I really liked it, as I did The Society which starts as a bland teen thingy but somehow presents some really interestiong dilemmas along the way.
And After Life is a short bitter sweet treat.

Otherwise Stranger Things, Mindhunter, Westworld season 1, Sherlock (season 1 and 2 only, I hate the latest) are all great shows.

So many great show this last decade, it’s crazy.

TimovieMan - 15 March 2019 03:52 PM

Great series, even if you’re not really into sci-fi. One of the best endings to any series ever, imo.

Seconded Smile

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Finished MindhunterS2; different approach than the plot of S1 which is was all about interrogations, which might seem like it at the beginning of the show but the S2 was just another detective show with just one specific case..

what i am saying it wasnt as good, no nw plots, just building up on the 1st, with nothing that makes it unique like S1, has some qualities tho. at the end i can say its like True Detective S2 to S1, doesnt hold up to the greatness of the original . 7.5/10

Total Posts: 124

Joined 2013-08-10

PM

SoccerDude - 15 March 2019 02:42 PM

Breaking Bad is my favorite serial TV show of all time. If you have watched it and want something slightly similar, try Ozark on netflix.
The Sopranos on HBO is an obvious one and it is a classic.
Downton Abbey is another excellent show.

One that really surprised me is Battlestar Galactica. Not the cheesy 1970s one but the newer one. I wasn’t expecting to like it, but it is very good regardless if you are into sci-fi or not.

Edit: And I forgot about Stranger Things on Netflix. It hearkens back to 80’s adventure movies, something like The Goonies. That and Black Mirror are my favorite Netflix-made TV shows.

All very good recommendations! I didn’t get into Ozark however, so I can’t vouch for that one.

Also, I’d cautiously recommend the comedy series Arrested Development (shares Jason Bateman with Ozark). I found it utterly hilarious and quite unusually creative for an American comedy, but some of the humor is early/mid 2000s topical, especially the political humor. It’s mostly played for silly gags, though, IIRC, so it might still carry over for recent audiences, but how well it would translate to non-Americans, I can’t say.

Absolutely worth a shot if you have Netflix, however, IMO.

K R Parkinson - Staff Writer

Contact: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Bohoo!  Cry I’d been watching an episode here & there of Sons of Anarchy & got around to watching episode 10 to find I now have to pay!  Pan (I should have mentioned it was ‘free’ with the Amazon Prime subscription but is no longer!)

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2019-09-15

PM

Breaking Bad and Fargo Smile

Total Posts: 116

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
Stranger Things
The End of the ******* World
Firefly
Lost
Twin Peaks

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve just finished watching all 3 seasons of a series called The Path. A very impressive fictional story about the loves, lives & beliefs of people who ‘subscribed’ to a religious movement and/or cult?

There were exceptional performances I thought from Aaron Paul (Chemistry student? in Breaking Bad) & Hugh Dancy (who presented a completely different persona to that of Will Graham in the Hannibal series).

I found the exploration of people pursuing strong ‘religious’ views thought-provoking as well as completely frustrating & annoying but I tip my hat off to the producers who I thought presented the potentially controversial subjects within this fictional story in a very balanced way.    Smile

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Has anyone caught up with Vikings? I think it might be an Amazon Prime thing? Whatever it’s a superb series worth watching whatever.

I never cry for any fictional deaths but I cried buckets for Lagertha & please don’t read the spoiler until you’ve seen the latest instalment.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve slowly got around to playing all 5 seasons of Bosch & very pleased that a 6th season is in the works with a final 7th planned.

Superb story lines in each series with one major one to be concluded at the end of each series plus some minor ones that carry through along with relationships with family colleagues etc.

Great characters & environments especially Harry Bosch’s house on a cliff-top held up by poles - like his onscreen daughter I’d be worried but the view is fantastic!

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Wow, you sure watch a lot of TV chrissie! The only thing I’m watching is Star Trek: Picard and only because I’m a big Trekkie. It’s okay, I guess. A bit generic for my tastes. I wouldn’t be watching it if the “Trek” label was attached to it, but I still yearn for genuine sci-fi and there’s not much of that to be found these days.

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Donuts McGee - 01 March 2020 10:11 PM

Wow, you sure watch a lot of TV chrissie! The only thing I’m watching is Star Trek: Picard and only because I’m a big Trekkie. It’s okay, I guess. A bit generic for my tastes. I wouldn’t be watching it if the “Trek” label was attached to it, but I still yearn for genuine sci-fi and there’s not much of that to be found these days.

Yes, I do watch a lot of TV but I tend to focus on playing series back-to-back rather than watching regular TV so perhaps no more than anyone else? I prefer series in which there’s an intricate story running through akin to what you may find on reading a book which I find hard on my eyes.

I gave an episode of Star Trek: Picard a go - it was interesting enough to try another.Thumbs Up 

There really is a lot of sci-fi films & series/serials out there but it covers such a broad spectrum please give me more idea of what you might consider to be genuine sci-fi - I may or may not be able to recommend.      Smile

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

chrissie - Thanks for the generous offer Smile I guess I’m more of a “hard” sci-fi fan along the lines of Asimov and Arthur C Clarke. Problems that we may face in the future and how we might solve them to create a better world. I prefer this over fancy explosions, robot sex and elaborate spaceship battles. My favorite shows are Babylon 5, classic Star Trek, Doctor Who. I quite liked BSG and Farscape too.

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Donuts McGee - 04 March 2020 05:45 PM

My favorite shows are Babylon 5, classic Star Trek, Doctor Who. I quite liked BSG and Farscape too.

These are favorites of mine, too, Donuts, along with Battlestar Gallactica.  I watched and enjoyed the old one years ago, but I prefer the newer incarnation.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

....I guess I’m more of a “hard” sci-fi fan along the lines of Asimov and Arthur C Clarke. Problems that we may face in the future and how we might solve them to create a better world. I prefer this over fancy explosions, robot sex and elaborate spaceship battles. My favorite shows are Babylon 5, classic Star Trek, Doctor Who. I quite liked BSG and Farscape too.

I loved classic Star Trek along with the later films featuring the same characters albeit they were a little older!
I enjoyed Doctor Who here & there - I’m still scared of the cybermen!  Gasp
Loved the original BSG but I’m tempted to try the later interpretation. Babylon 5 & Farscape I know nothing about whatsoever as possibly I watched very little TV when they were current. 

Lady Kestrel - 05 March 2020 05:10 PM

My favorite shows are Babylon 5, classic Star Trek, Doctor Who. I quite liked BSG and Farscape too.

These are favorites of mine, too, Donuts, along with Battlestar Gallactica.  I watched and enjoyed the old one years ago, but I prefer the newer incarnation.

Looks like we’re all in good company here.  Thumbs Up 

So the preference seems to be for space stories?
Firefly is a series of just 12 episodes but you need to watch the movie Serenity to conclude River’s story - but you must have seen it already?
I’ve never seen the updated Lost in Space series - is it any good?

The only thing I can recommend really is a recent series of series ‘Expanse’ as I do tend to play anything that grabs my interest that comes under the umbrella of Sci-Fi such as Under the Dome, The 100, Dollhouse, Humans, Black Mirror (nothing to do with the game) & Westworld to name just a few series that veer away from the classic perception of Sci- fi.

Donuts McGee, you mentioned Asimov so you may be interested in that there does seem to be a series in production based on his book Foundation. 
  Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top