• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

SpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The tennis thread

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2018-07-11

PM

Hi all! My name is Julie and I am new to the forum. Now WC is close to the end, anyone is interested in Wimbledon. It seems that when WC happens, almost everybody misses other things.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i love tennis played it even in my youth when John Mcenroe was big, lol, but anyway, as you say it; the WC takes the ground from all other sports.

tho i know someone here wouldnt miss a Djokovic match, maybe he would appear and support this event or even match Smile

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Normally I would watch the Tennis, but no Andy Murray and the WC means no Tennis.

Unfortunately the men’s final is on the same day as the WC final so if England win tonight the Tennis is going to suffer.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Lucien21 - 11 July 2018 07:34 AM

Unfortunately the men’s final is on the same day as the WC final so if England win tonight the Tennis is going to suffer.

Yeah, I can’t believe they allowed this to happen.  The Wimbledon Chief(?) said he was surprised FIFA scheduled it at the same time.  Kind of feels like they’re the ones that should be making the concessions.

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

dumbeur - 11 July 2018 08:04 AM
Lucien21 - 11 July 2018 07:34 AM

Yeah, I can’t believe they allowed this to happen.  The Wimbledon Chief(?) said he was surprised FIFA scheduled it at the same time.  Kind of feels like they’re the ones that should be making the concessions.

So Wimbledon, a yearly event, should change its long set dates for a tournament that happens every 4 years? Somewhat arrogant don’t you think? The world doesn’t actually stop because football fans think it should you know. Granted that football is very much more tribal than tennis (or cricket, netball, basketball, ice-hockey etc.) but that’s its failure to my way of thinking. It becomes an epicentre of stupidity if you read all the various comments boards and let’s not go near the so-called pundits comments on news organisations, particularly here in the UK - made considerably worse by England getting further than normally expected.
Don’t get me wrong; being English I’d like to see them win it but I can well do without all the crap that comes alongside it.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

As fans of sports, I think many of us are disappointed that we either have to potentially miss some of one or at the very least compromise the experience.  But yes, I think the tournament which is one of a few per year should roll over for the tournament held once every four years (the culmination of many, may matches over those years).  The one watched by millions vs the one watched by billions.

I can understand your ire with how the World Cup can take over but I love both sports (have no players to back in either tournament) and would just like to be able to enjoy both finals.  It’s a little entitled or even churlish of me to expect to be able to have it all my own way with such great entertainment on show but on a purely pragmatic level, it’s going to affect Wimbledon’s viewing figures (particularly if England win tonight).

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Seems Federer has just been knocked out by Kevin Anderson in 5 sets.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

dumbeur - 11 July 2018 01:40 PM

As fans of sports, I think many of us are disappointed that we either have to potentially miss some of one or at the very least compromise the experience.  But yes, I think the tournament which is one of a few per year should roll over for the tournament held once every four years (the culmination of many, may matches over those years).  The one watched by millions vs the one watched by billions.

I can understand your ire with how the World Cup can take over but I love both sports (have no players to back in either tournament) and would just like to be able to enjoy both finals.  It’s a little entitled or even churlish of me to expect to be able to have it all my own way with such great entertainment on show but on a purely pragmatic level, it’s going to affect Wimbledon’s viewing figures (particularly if England win tonight).

I have to say that that is a very measured response Dumbeur so a Thumbs Up for that. However, you’re missing a rather pertinent point. Wimbledon’s dates are set some way into the future and, as you correctly point out, both sports are extremely popular and, in tennis, Wimbledon is the pinnacle of the Grand Slams along with being the oldest (as I’m sure you know Smile ) which is why people buy tickets months and years in advance for Finals Day(s) along with hotels, flights, car hire etc. Who is going to compensate them for any date moves to accommodate a completely different sport? FIFA? Nope, FIFA should check the calendar and do their best to avoid any major sports finals. Difficult during the summer months of course what with cricket, golf, tennis etc. but not impossible. And sometimes you just do the best you can and some people will be disappointed because they can’t watch both. Such is life and relevant decisions by the individual watching has to be made and selfishness cast aside Smile

Life is what it is.

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Given the decision FIFA had already made, I think Wimbledon should have looked at moving the starting time by maybe ~90 mins.  I would be concerned about how that affects the players but it shouldn’t involve too much hardship for the fans (you make a very good point though).  I don’t think we should be concerned about anything except practicality fwiw.

In an ideal world, they get together and each makes a small adjustment but FIFA are not exactly known for being reasonable.

Anyway, England have made my decision for me and I’ll likely watch the Wimbledon Mens’ Final and then whatever’s left of the WC Final.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

dumbeur - 11 July 2018 04:54 PM

England have made my decision for me and I’ll likely watch the Wimbledon Mens’ Final and then whatever’s left of the WC Final.

i dont think they would have cared this least if the national team was in the final??

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Djokovic’s win is the second best news of the day.

I hope he’s back for good.  Meh

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

it is not Wimbledon i know, but I Support Serina tho all went against her for being on a John Mac attitude but it doesn’t matter, i understand what she felt, last time someone (a boss) called me a lair i said “fuck you!” to him and i lost my job, as she lost her game, but at the end i felt right. it wasn’t a meltdown or an out of control thing, it was the right thing to do and be said, because when some is basically is in a higher form for being a boss or an umpire, things he/she says would forever stick with you, and i think no one should stick your name to any behavior as long as you believe you didn’t do.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Well, that essentially leads to anarchy.
It doesn’t matter if you are right or wrong, you have to accept the fact that the umpire has the final say. Otherwise there is no point in having one in the first place. Soccer already demonstrates what players try to pull to claim their right, more often a display of theatrics due to the pressures of the game in which so much is at stake.

The deciding party, whether an umpire, referee or even a judge, should always be respected and assumed to be objective, even when they make mistakes. The alternative is much much worse.

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

None of it makes any sense to me. What did the umpire do wrong? All he did was apply the rules, and he was abused by Serena and the crowd booed him, and the match ruined. If there is justice she should be banned from playing for a couple months.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Coach admited to coaching… It was the right call. Don’t know why all the teathrics after that, maybe pressure of losing.
Osaka played better and had her first grand slam win ruined by Serena’s meltdown.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

oh, did he?.. okay.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top