• News
  • Reviews
  • Games Database
  • Game Discovery
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Character Powers as puzzle mechanics

Total Posts: 269

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I like this style of gameplay a lot. I find it expands the type of thinking involved when you have more than one character interacting with the world in a totally different way. From the first two Goblins games with minimal narrative to the Ben & Dan games where platforming entered the mix.

Total Posts: 2234

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Cognition: an Erica Reed Thriller is an excellent example of this, she was able to solve many of the games puzzles using her cognitive abilities. And yes, in the case of this game this really added to the games enjoyment. It adds some variety to the puzzle solving which I enjoyed.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on handheld systems- PS VITA, Nintendo DS and ipad mini.

Total Posts: 139

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Chrissie:  Yeah so I just beat the first 4 Blackwells, and at first I thought Joey’s skill set to be extremely limited, but there’s actually a surprising amount of depth to the puzzles that require him and Rosangela/Lauren to work together.  I think it just goes to show that with some creative thinking, satisfying puzzles can be made from very limited interactions.

Gatekeeper:  Oh yeah that is very confusing >.<

Phlebas:  Yeah, and so the truth is, I don’t have a ton of experience with Lucas arts, Ron gilbert types of Games.  I just started playing Day of the Tentacle, and I got stuck like a million times because I didn’t really understand the type of logic that was expected.  In Sierra games, for whatever reason, I’m able to follow their crazy moon-logic.  But I’ve only recently started to understand the madness of the Lucas arts-style of puzzle.  I’ve been dying to try out The Cave.  That’s co-op right?

Scratch one kumquat tree.

Total Posts: 113

Joined 2012-02-10

PM

One cool reversal on the idea of using class abilities to differentiate player-characters is the short text adventure The Erudition Chamber. Each puzzle has four solutions: one for a Warrior, one for an Alchemist, one for a Seer, and one for an Artisan.

The twist is that you don’t choose your class at the start of the game.

Instead, you’re placed in situations and solve the puzzles, and the game counts how many times you used Warrior-style solutions [SMASH THE DOOR!], how many times you used Alchemist solutions, and so on. In other words, you don’t get special powers during the game. Instead, at the end of the game you’re assigned to a character class based on your style of puzzle-solving.

This gives the game some QFG-style replayability. To see all the endings, you can try to go for a “pure” playthrough where you stick to one approach (warrior for all puzzles, alchemist for all puzzles, etc.).

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!