• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieGabrielwalas74zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Tokyo Mirage Sessions # FE (remake is here!)

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

In case any of you missed this amazing Fire Emblem/Shin Megami Tensei (persona) cross over when it was on the wii u, it has finally come to switch!  I seriously bought a wii u for this game.  So now I’m happy others will get a chance to play one of the best RPG’s I’ve ever played about being a japanese pop star or actor!

I guess the question I want to put forward to you all is:

The encore version just came out on switch?!  Have any of you picked up the switch version?  I am excited to see what was changed.  Some of the characters on the front of the box look different, so I’m interested did they add a new character or something?

It plays exactly like persona (there is no talking or catching monsters like in other SMT games) except your personas are now characters from Fire Emblem series, and you can exploit the weapon triangle from FE games.

Please buy it if you like these series, and it you have already bought it or played it, tells us about any differences from the first release, or what you enjoyed. 

I really love chaining together attacks, and seeing the awesome musical performances by japanese idol/popstars.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

i recently finished this and i have to say… it is a very strange game. The story is really silly.. and the mechanics largely consist of watching chain attacks. That said… i liked it… i spent 60 hours with it so i better have. In a lot of ways i found it refreshing compared to the persona series.. i wish they would try more new things with persona and this game does that. In some ways I wish the skill system was more like digital devil saga where you can just equip each skill youve learned… because re-learning with weapons just felt like this huge pile of tape. Im very glad they brought it to the switch because i never had a wii u and always missed not being able to try this.

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Yeah I got to the final boss, and realized that my skills were poorly optimized for that fight, and at first, I didn’t want to turn the difficulty down from hard to normal, so I just tried to re learn all the skills to beat the final dragon guy, but eventually after the second day of grinding, I was just like this is silly.  Turn down the difficulty, and just go beat this game finally.

And I definitely agree that after a dozen hours, watching the session chain attacks gets kind of old, but at least they tried something to improve an other-wise by the book RPG series.  And at first the cool different sessions are fun to work towards unlocking because they are just so over the top.  And then once you get the ability to switch to new targets after the first dies in a session, or the ability to call in people from the back-up party to join in on sessions, and then it all makes sense because you’re defeating most things in “1 turn.”

Am I the only one that noticed it’s called Tokyo Mirage Sessions (as in SMT like Shin Megami Tensei but TMS now…)?  And despite having most in common with the persona series spin-off, there’s no hidden reference to persona in the title.  Although references to SMT and FE are there…

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Cant wait for Persona games to be released on Steam. Never played them, always wanted though…

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

I think everyone knows about how great and critically acclaimed Persona 5 is, but I want to point out that 3 and 4 are also top notch RPG’s in their own right.  I put this Tokyo Mirage Sessions on the same level as like 3 or 5 maybe.

But since I drank too much coffee, I want to also recommend some less popular titles in the franchise, because they desperately deserve love also.

Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner Soul Hackers is a great entry in the franchise that we were missing until the 3ds release, and it plays more like the original SMT games with a little .hack feeling thrown in.

Lastly, but certainly not leastly…

If you like Persona or SMT games, and action games, and adventure games, then please try
Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner Raidou Kuzunoha vs the Souless Army (or the sequel)
Great mix of action rpg combat with monster collecting.  The monsters are used outside of battle to investigate mysteries and solve puzzles kind of like the HM/TM etc in pokemon, but more integrated into the overall gameplay.
For example, a door may be locked with information that I need to further my investigation on the other side.  I have a monster that can pass through walls, and bring me the information, but even if the monster is attacked while separate from the party, the monster still has to fend for it self etc. 

Shin Megami Tensei Imagine Online was actually my favorite in the series, but it’s been offline for many years now =[

EDIT: I also forgot to mention the rhythm games are quite amazing as well.  I have two of them on ps4, and I recommend them if you like challenging rhythm games, and the stellar persona soundtracks.

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

My current line-up of JRPGS during quarantine is Tales of Symphonia(currently playing), Valkyria Chronicles, Tales of Vesperia. Also playing Final Fantasy Tactics on the phone.

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

I really love Tales of Symphonia!  I think there is a sequel on wii, and it’s pretty good but it’s weird compared to the first. 

In the first, it’s just like action rpg goodness, with up to 4 players.

In the sequel there is a monster catching and training emphasis in addition to the party system.  It’s pretty strange.

FFT is just great anytime, so heck yes!
I bought the PSP port recently, and realized the glitch where you could learn a ton of abilities without earning JP is gone.  I usually kept separate save files, one for cheating, and one for honest play, but it was nice to have the option =[

Have you ever done the grinding where you get someone leveled up as a ninja, then level them down as an oracle, repeating the process until the character has incredible stats?  It’s a slow grind, but at least it’s a better pay off than trying to use cloud T_T

If you need more turn based tactical fun then the sequels FFT Advance, and FFT A2, are both good in a different way. 

I play lots of these games.  A few of my favorite are hoshigami Ruining blue earth, and saiyuki Journey to the West, and Stella Deus is one of the most underrated ps2 turn strategy RPGs in my opinion (it’s easy to miss next to disgaea =p)

I think I have that Valkyria Chronicles on ps3, and like I thought it was going to be a fantasy game.  But it’s like some weird historical world war fiction thing… I don’t know.  I was bad at it, and then I just never played it again.  Interesting concept, but so stressful!

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

-Tales of Symphonia is great and I am playing on Hard, so doing a lot of grinding. Not allowed to let people die, use gels and had to have Lloyd use his starter weapon til a certain point all these to get some titles. I heard the sequel is not that great. Of all the Tales of titles my understanding is that Abyss, Vesperia, Berseria, Symphonia, Phantasia(which I finished as a kid) and the Xillia duo games to some extent are the titles worth playing. So I will probably see off from playing the sequel and move on to another main title.

-I am not a big fan of tactical RPGs because of branching storylines and perma deaths. I like my games to be a bit more linear, but FFT delivers in that regard. I am halfway and havent made use of that trick so far. I have done quite a share of grinding JP. I usually trap a Chocobo between characters, lower their attack and have them continue attacking while Chocobo uses a cure spell.

-I have played Valkyria before but never finished it. I will say that if you can handle tactical RPGS, from what I remember Valkyria is very easy. The game allows you to grind without enemies leveling up alongside you. So it was hard to get stuck If I recall.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top