• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

SpeedBowalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #62 - Lighthouse: The Dark Being

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

walas74 - 23 October 2020 01:46 AM

Help!

I am at the door of dark being’s lab and I can’t open it. I have the weapon, I have the bomb, but when I click on the door, makes the metalic sound and it won’t open.

What did I miss?

Make sure to go to the last section of the rail (where there are lots of valves) and the map. If you look at the map on the wall, you will see that 2 of the valves control the 2 doors that are the entrances to the creature’s lair. Just switch on these valves and you can access the doors.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Lady Kestrel - 22 October 2020 04:12 PM

SoccerDude,
I don’t usually mind slideshow navigation in games, but I agree that there were several spots where it was easy to miss an arrow.  The room with the portal machine in the temple was especially fussy as to where you should stand to get the arrow you needed.  It was easy to miss plugging in those power units on the left of the room.  I also had trouble finding the left arrow to pick up the track piece.

I really liked riding the train, but then I’ve always had a soft spot for them.  I also thought it was fun to dig a big hole in the wall.

I really enjoyed the train ride too. It took me a while to get my bearings(I am horrible with directions Tongue), but once I navigated it a few times, I memorized it by heart. As far as tracks go, it’s definitely not too complicated. I felt super smart when I backed up the train to lower the bridge. That was one of those AHA puzzles that I really liked.

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

SoccerDude - 23 October 2020 01:52 AM
walas74 - 23 October 2020 01:46 AM

Help!

I am at the door of dark being’s lab and I can’t open it. I have the weapon, I have the bomb, but when I click on the door, makes the metalic sound and it won’t open.

What did I miss?

Make sure to go to the last section of the rail (where there are lots of valves) and the map. If you look at the map on the wall, you will see that 2 of the valves control the 2 doors that are the entrances to the creature’s lair. Just switch on these valves and you can access the doors.

Thanks, I am too tired now, but I’ll do that tomorrow, rain or shine.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

You have to go back to the main valve room (by the lava pit) and spin the 4th wheel to open the side lab door. 

Here are the directions if you need them:
Go backwards to the intersection turntable and rotate the train to go north.  Follow the right track to the valve room.  Return to the turntable and go east.  Take the left track at the intersection.  Pick up the hammer.  Assemble the bomb and enter the lab one step.

Edit:  Oops!  SoccerDude beat me to it.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

To conclude my contribution to the playthrough for Lighthouse I just want to thank you Lady Kestrel for taking on the challenge to lead it. Thumbs Up

It’s a game I would have given up on if not for this playthrough as it’s a 1st person puzzler with few clues so really not my scene. I found it so difficult that I was consulting a few text walkthroughs + video ones too .....

I did get more interested after experiencing the more pleasing chapters where fiddling around with dials, switches, levers valves etc etc weren’t so dominant which included smelting &  riding around on the train.

Anyway I don’t know, as this is not my kind of game, whether it’s good or bad, but I was impressed with the animations & graphic. I’m very pleased to have played it & there was enough within the gameplay (albeit with help) to keep my interest.
Thank you again Lady Kestrel & everyone else that took part & posted interesting thoughts as well as those that made me feel that I wasn’t so thick after all!  Laughing

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

You’re welcome, Chrissie!  I’m so glad you participated despite your reservations.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Hi! Just a quick note to say I finished the game! I will post my final impressions tomorrow.

Of course, thanks for all, Lady Kestrel. You are the lighthouse.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

rtrooney - 19 October 2020 06:40 PM

After four years of nominations Lighthouse finally got its playthrough. And the only reason it got that was because Lady K offered to lead it. So, thank you very much for that. And, thank you to all the other players who voted for it. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. It didn’t exactly have the Wow factor it had when I first played it close to 25 years ago. But it still looked amazingly good for its age. And better than many games being produced today.

I posted this message as part of an “I finished the game” message about four pages ago.

Thought I should repost. Thank you all for making this happen. I’m sure more than a few of you have had thoughts along the lines of “Why doesn’t this idiot give up.” I’ve had those same thoughts myself. We finally played the game. I should take a nap.

Tim

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Aww!  Thanks for the compliment, Walas! I’m glad you stuck with it. Smile

You’re welcome, RT!

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Just managed to pick up the final weapon piece and put Amanda into my backpack. Took me a lot of time to realize how the railway works and the steam pipes were no joke either. At last, that useless umbrella finally did some work (how funny it would have been if we DIDN’T pick it from our home. We would have to go back to the sub, from there back to the Martin’s Roost, use the batplane to return to the Temple, from there teleport to the Lighthouse, drive to our home to take it and then return to the Volcano). On progress on saving the Dr. and defeating the Dark Being. I do not know if the hardest parts are ahead of me….

EDIT: I managed to finish the game. It wasn’t very hard after that part. I was able to see some different ending (like the one caused by the broken railroad) and the “Good” ending, where I saved the Dr, Amanda, trapped the Dark Being in the vial (it was so rewarding seing it trapped) and finally blew the entire Volcano to bits.

And after all those, the Dr. told me in the end “I couldn’t have defeated the Dark Being without your help”.

...what?....
....WHAT?.....
Angry  Angry  Angry  Angry
Pan  Pan  Pan  Pan  Pan

You !@#$! YOU defeated NOTHING!! I and only I did everything!!! Do you have ANY idea what I went through while you were practically in a coma?? I should have left you to rot in that chair in the volcano!!!!

Anyways, thank you Lady K for successfully leading this playthrough. The game had its ups and downs (it didn’t help the fact that, imho, the best part was the first one) but I enjoyed it overall. I am curious about what would have happened if we followed the Dark Being through the Portal at the beginning.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Sefir - 24 October 2020 05:25 PM

I am curious about what would have happened if we followed the Dark Being through the Portal at the beginning.

I like to think of Lighthouse as a “pseudo” non-linear game. All paths lead to the volcano, but you can choose which path, and in what order, will get you there. However, to answer your question, following DB through the portal with Amanda will also land you on the beach, but with a side video that you won’t see if you create the portal in the lab. Similarly, if you take the sub from Martin’s Roost, you will end up at the fortress, and really will need to fly the bird plane to the temple. So you can create that portal back to the lighthouse. So you can create that lab portal back to Martin’s Roost Etc., etc..

Which is why it was so important for Lady K to tell us what are path choice should be throughout the game. It would have been chaos if we were allowed to play this solo.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Hi!

These are the endings I found:

- Dead by derailing with the train.
- Dead by bomb detonating before escape.
- Alive, rescueing Dr. Krick and Amanda. Dark Being escaped.
- Alive, rescueing Dr. Krick and Amanda. Dark Being trapped.

Are there more endings? I tried to escape through the portal leaving Dr. Krick and Amanda behind, but the game doesn’t end, so I had to came back and rescue them.

I also think throwing the bottle with the Dark Being inside is a silly ending unless it was made for a sequel (someone could find the bottle and open it, or it can be broken by something in the sea…)

I really enjoy assembing the weapon, but I couldn’t find the logic behind turning the arrows in the sphere section.

Anyway, a game with pros (story, atmosphere, sound effects, graphics for that time ) and cons (clueless puzzles, mazes, machinery and more machinery), but cons are really cons for me…

Thank you very much to Laky Kestrel who guided us the whole journey.

I will join another playthrough in the future, but one of a game in third person and more understandables puzzles.

And I will let some time go by before finally playing Myst…

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I’ve finally finished the game. Tried a few endings with very minor variations, but would have preferred a better way to get rid of the dark being. I found it satisfying to finish the game, although some parts were too frustrating for me to consider it very enjoyable.

Huge thanks to Lady Kestrel for leading the game! This one obviously needed quite a bit of guidance.

chrissie - 19 October 2020 08:16 AM

I also tried letting the being escape through the portal before rescuing the professor which again could lead to a sequel? But curiously although the portal leads to Amanda’s bedroom the cut scene of the being shows it scuttling away through a cavern.

In that scene, the dark being doesn’t jump through the portal but some kind of chute next to it.

Lady Kestrel - 21 October 2020 12:06 PM

I remembered enough to stop in time to avoid the deadly accident

I did not react quickly enough there. Extremely annoying to add a random bad ending like that. Especially considering that deaths earlier in the game weren’t much of a problem since you’re resurrected just before dying.

Lady Kestrel - 21 October 2020 12:06 PM

It took me two tries to get the best ending.  Because I fiddled too long with the trunk and the machine to wake up Krick, I blew us all up the first time.

I didn’t even create the bomb the first time I reached an ending. So when I replayed the final part to get the best ending, I had lot’s of time to spare with the bomb. Is it worth playing again to see yourself being blown up?

walas74 - 24 October 2020 08:34 PM

Are there more endings?

The best ending is probably to also blow up the volcano with a time bomb.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Ok, it seems like the game beat me again. I just can’t bring myself to ride the wagon anymore, I already spent hours trying to understand what, where and how I am supposed to go, I feel like I’m missing the logic behind most of the puzzles, it’s getting only worse and I want back to the sub.

I figured the riding mechanics, including changing tracks and turning around at forks, figured when and how to leave the wagon and even fixed some light structure with my instruments (no idea why). I followed the dark creature to the locked door, blowing some rubble on my way, but it seems like the game is against me blowing up the door despite I have tons of explosives left. I found the kid miner, but couldn’t do anything there apart from turning some valves/levers (what’s the point?). I reached a moveable bridge, got out, used a control panel to move my wagon and the game crashed.

Finally I rode to the lava pit, got down and revealed a seashell by solving some cool-looking, but totally random puzzle by luck. And then it turned out I can’t get anywhere anymore, because all gates seemed to be locked. I read a w/t and even watched a playthrough, both state that I need to turn all the valves in the valve room to the left (why?) so that all the gates would open. OK, I did this, but the gates are still locked and won’t open no matter how I turn the valves .

I restored to the previous saving point near the kid and tried to figure out how to save her, but, again, to no luck. I then took a peek at the w/t again and read that I needed to use the controls to pick up some magnetic rock (what rock? why?) and throw it at the cage - only the controls don’t work for me! And to get access to the kid I’m supposed to… insert my elegant umbrella into a hole in that crashing machine? And it will hold the door?? Seriously??? To this day I thought that Goblins 3 had the most uneven umbrella puzzles, but this game proved me wrong.

But the biggest problem is, of course, that nothing works for me, and this last part is just exhausting. I would’ve forced my way through if it wasn’t for the neverending maze where you have little control over your moves, environment or the speed. Back in the day the game crashed randomly while I was riding the wagon and I wasn’t able to get far. And now I can’t get far even without crashing (although it does crash at one point as I mentioned). That’s a shame, I mostly enjoyed the game to this point, although I have to admit that the first levels were a lot better than the castle and mine parts.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Can’t say I disagree. I would say that trying to accomplish the digger episode without a WT is pretty much impossible. And, as chrissie said, which I will paraphrase, by the time you find the map to the tracks, the horse has already left the gate. As an aside, what you call a wagon, we decided on the name digger. At the time Lighthouse was being developed, another momentous thing was happening. The tunnel under the English Channel was being dug. I asked Olga what the name of the machine digging the tunnel was called. She said it was the Chunnel Digger. And that’s how the name digger was coined.

If you were to resort to a video WT just so you can enjoy the ending, while acknowledging the effort it took to get this far, I would say go for it. Thanks for joining us. I appreciate the effort and the vote.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top