• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonk

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Whispers of a Machine - from Kathy Rain developer

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Yeah I ended up doing the analytical path the first time around. I think for my second run I’m going to go with aggressive. I wonder how Vera will solve some of the puzzles without invisibility.

Total Posts: 1260

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, Vera is very resourceful Wink

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2019-04-19

PM

Guys please help me! I am stuck on day 2 ! I believe I am on the assertive path and have
the energize aug.

I believe I have to get through the fridge in the junk yard and i know the boy has a map but I can’t find a way to get it from him?!

I’m very much enjoying this game, Good story and characters

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

rockunroll - 19 April 2019 11:03 PM

Guys please help me! I am stuck on day 2 ! I believe I am on the assertive path and have
the energize aug.

I believe I have to get through the fridge in the junk yard and i know the boy has a map but I can’t find a way to get it from him?!

I’m very much enjoying this game, Good story and characters

In that path you won’t get the map. Instead, the girl seems to be lacking in energy…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Just got up to that part on the aggressive path. The 2nd part of the puzzle is very clever. Really is worth replaying for some of these alternate aug puzzles.

Total Posts: 101

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

The Adventure Gamers review is very positive:

This futuristic murder mystery with some innovative gameplay, flexible puzzles, and built-in replayability should be enough to pique any adventure gamer’s interest.

And John Walker likes it very much as well:

So yes! This is a good adventure game! It’s actually an incredibly clever adventure game doing lots of very subtle smart things! It has its issues, but don’t we all.

Total Posts: 1654

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

PlanetX - 20 April 2019 12:36 AM

Just got up to that part on the aggressive path. The 2nd part of the puzzle is very clever. Really is worth replaying for some of these alternate aug puzzles.

It does really seem, this game hides its sub systems very well. A lot of games offer different ways to solve puzzles, but i feel this game just does it better.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

As a big Kathy Rain fan, this game is simply amazing. The graphics improvements are much appreciated. I do hope these people keep making great games like this one.

Aggies will be kind to this game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

walas74 - 27 March 2019 04:33 PM

It’s going to be a great game with much replayability

I am glad you all like it.

Total Posts: 1654

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

just beat the game here are my spoiler thoughts. but first let me say I loved it a lot

I figured out the killer by day two, the game kind of made it obvious at least to me, but I kept thinking at least one police officer or valter aka the robot guy was in it, but no. Like planet X I thought the last day was a lil rushed, I didnt quite understand stina’s motives as the killer, but maybe that is bc I chose to erase the project, and keep the baby myself. That is what seemed most logical, plus alex’s voice became more and more mechanical and I didnt trust him. All together the game took me 7 hrs which is a fine length at 13 dollars which is about what I paid. I loved the cast, I even heard old dave gilberts voice in there, so maybe this is a sequel to technobabylon set many 100 yrs past those games lol. Overall if this gets a community playthrough I def will play again I give this game a 9/10. I do think I like technobabylon just a tad more bc the world is more fleshed out and I think that game has a couple more clever puzzle designs, I found day 3 and day 4 to be almost too easy in whispers of a machine at least on the analytical path

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

So, I finished this game. Quite good actually. Enjoyed my ending quite a bit. Played like a dream and I found the puzzles to be refreshingly different.

I will buy from these guys again, another big hit game. I just hope their next one is as good.

I might do a replay soon, try out different things.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

The game is received so well everywhere I feel almost bad for not liking it. But I don’t.

It starts nice; the setting is interesting, murder mysteries tend to make for good plots, a classic “pick up items” combined with “abilities” sounds like good puzzles, it looks good, etc.

Basically I went into it expecting to quite enjoy it.

But I didn’t like the puzzles. They mostly felt uninspired; very linear with one specific solution that tended to be obvious - the worst sequence perhaps being building the shelter which ultimately just felt like busywork - or a bit misleading, like others have mentioned the nutrients situation drove me bonkers too; and the secret room was completely obvious but figuring out how to get into it definitely not. There’s also some of those situations - like, I tried getting everyone’s addresses early on and Vera dismisses doing this, but later on you do need one other address. So it took me a bit to go “well, guess I should try again” - it’s basically enforced order of actions which I didn’t feel was necessary.

I also expected way more nice use of the abilities. But it feels very restricted for how and when you can use them. Like, I really wanted to go invisible when leaving the church ‘cause I had a feeling I’d get caught otherwise. But the game just goes, “naaaaw, there’s nobody here”. Well ... there clearly was someone there. It never feels like you can do much with them “optionally”, either they are necessary for the solution of a puzzle or they are completely useless.

And, overall, the game just didn’t feel like investigating a murder mystery. I suppose in a sense it’s my fault for expecting this, but, heck, it’s an Agent investigating a murder. I think it’s an understandable mistake to make ... but there’s no misleading clues you need to sort through or anything; no ambiguous witness statements despite having an ability specifically geared towards investigating that sort of thing - it’s all very static and linear and with no big surprises; and some disappointing moments like again, as mentioned, finding the murder weapon just does. not. matter. at all. For a (sort of) police investigation that’s just ridiculous.

The writing also felt too obvious. The mastermind was pretty clear (not that you can do anything about it), which I don’t think is a good thing when you are dealing with a mystery. I also felt the ending was kinda spoiled, as it was incredibly obvious that Vera would end up with the kid (well, you can turn it down, but it always going to go that direction). And with the Blue detected in the fluid, well ....

Aside from that, although I did like the characters, I felt particularly the part about her dead lover to not really work for me. As a player you just basically don’t know anything about the guy so there’s no emotional attachment to whatever is going on with him and all he ever does is nag at you.

Actually, the one part I kinda liked was that initially I was fully going to go ahead with AI Baby Jesus and then in a feat of brilliant reverse-psychology I got so annoyed with the guy I did the opposite just to spite him.

But I can’t say I felt that made much sense for Vera’s character and how she’s displayed interacting with him. 

Talking about her character; I admit that was mostly a problem of misguided expectations, but I kinda hoped that your choices on how she acts would affect her character in general (aside from the abilities), but I never got the feeling it did. She’s just assertive/analytical/emotional (or what they are called) for the one moment you actually pick that choice and then it goes back to her “default” personality.

Or maybe I’m wrong about that; but that’s the impression I got.

And of course it all ends in the classic “do either A or B” choice which I’ve never liked and don’t like here either.

To be fair to the game, I don’t think it’s actually objectively bad. It just didn’t live up to my apparently too high or at least too different expectations. But I guess that’s how it goes sometimes Meh

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2014-07-12

PM

I don´t know, i was kinda disappointed. It felt short and the ending came abruptly imo. Also the story was a bunch of mumbo jumbo. KAthy rain was much better imo, i still managed to enjoy the game to a certain degree because i love adventure games and like just solving puzzles and progressing through story. But yeah hoped for more, no hate towards the devs intended.

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2019-02-25

PM

Finished this game today, an I really liked it. And since i live in Sweden I really enjoyed all the Swedish names and things (Snus anyone?).

Two great games from this developer now. Hoping for a third.  Smile

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Ya well, I LOVED the game. The ending ROCKED! As soon as I can, I will nominate this game for a CPT.

Go Aggies!

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top