• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Gamespot video on history of adventure games

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

http://www.gamespot.com/features/escape-from-mount-stupid-point-and-click-adventures-6394886/

Pretty awful. Mostly Lucasarts slurping. Sierra titles and others are shoehorned into the end.

Growing up I never realized how much people hated Sierra games. Lucasarts made great ones, but it’s become a laughable trend these days for people to praise Lucasarts as much as possible and not give credit to other developers. Was this always the case? Has the passing of time led people to favor Lucasarts so strongly over others?

Plus the guy thinks Gemini Rue comes out in 2013. Just more proof for me that Gamespot doesn’t know shit about adventure games. They’re just throwing a bone to adventurers in light of the kickstarter resurgence, trying to convince them that they do care about adventures. But we all know Gamespot cares about what’s popular and marketing that as much as possible to its audience.

So yea, I don’t know why I posted this garbage video.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

No surprise there. Why do you even visit GameSpot? I try to avoid the site as much as possible. Out of all the large gaming sites I find it to be the absolute worst.

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Stumbled upon it from another website.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

inm8#2 - 11 September 2012 01:29 PM

Growing up I never realized how much people hated Sierra games. Lucasarts made great ones, but it’s become a laughable trend these days for people to praise Lucasarts as much as possible and not give credit to other developers. Was this always the case? Has the passing of time led people to favor Lucasarts so strongly over others?

It has pretty much always existed—even here. I’ve visited this site since the s-less days, but for many years I avoided the forums like the plague because they were filled with the LucasArts thought police (I shan’t name names), who immediately pounced on anyone who didn’t grovel to the Gold Guy or showed some appreciation for Sierra. I remember that when the second Top-20 was published in 2003, and I really didn’t understand what made DOTT so great, I preferred writing directly to Evan about it rather than risk getting flayed on the forums for expressing that in public.

(Obviously, things got better at some point. Tongue )

Total Posts: 236

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

I’m probably the only one here who likes the video and visits GameSpot for the latest news on the latest games. Shifty Eyed

Granted, this video isn’t particularly funny, especially compared to Danny’s other videos (yes, I find his videos amusing), but I still found it enjoyable to watch.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Try to Check TMOS review at game spot and you would never touch this game after reading it .... i have no idea what are they are tiring to prove!
such a disgrace

Total Posts: 236

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Advie - 11 September 2012 02:39 PM

Try to Check TMOS review at game spot and you would never touch this game after reading it .... i have no idea what are they are tiring to prove!
such a disgrace

I played and completed the game based on Adventure Gamer’s review, not GameSpot’s, and I still didn’t think much of it. Meh

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Kurufinwe - 11 September 2012 02:21 PM
inm8#2 - 11 September 2012 01:29 PM

It has pretty much always existed—even here. I’ve visited this site since the s-less days, but for many years I avoided the forums like the plague because they were filled with the LucasArts thought police (I shan’t name names), who immediately pounced on anyone who didn’t grovel to the Gold Guy or showed some appreciation for Sierra. I remember that when the second Top-20 was published in 2003, and I really didn’t understand what made DOTT so great, I preferred writing directly to Evan about it rather than risk getting flayed on the forums for expressing that in public.

(Obviously, things got better at some point. Tongue )

I’ve been around since 2002ish (didn’t post until a few years later) and also noticed a slight bias toward Lucasarts among much of the community. But in my opinion it wasn’t as bad as it is now. There were always debates about Sierra vs. Lucasarts (a stupid argument in my opinion, each made their own brand of games successfully), but now it’s heavily weighted against Sierra.

I think the success of the DFA kickstarter, which saw casual adventure gamers or people who maybe didn’t play adventures at all, come on board and become fanboys overnight. That’s not to say only hardcore adventure gamers are allowed to have opinions. And I’m sure people will misinterpret my posts, as they have in the past, as being anti-Lucasarts or anti-Tim Schafer. Seems odd since I’ve played and enjoyed many LA games, supported DFA, etc. I simply don’t idolize them absolutely while disregarding other game brands to fit in with that trend that the AG community has seemingly embraced.

Total Posts: 32

Joined 2005-07-01

PM

I stopped taking reviews on Gamespot seriously since they fired Jeff Gerstmann for giving Kane & Lynch a bad review.

(Deny it all you want, but its painfully obvious that was the reason for his firing. It’s also painfully obvious that they give better advertised games, better reviews.)

The only reason I visit Gamespot is for their trailers for new games, and to use their forums every now and then.

p.s. Kotaku is a horrible site too, but it was the first one with that news story on it.

p.s.s. There are very few places I actually trust reviews from, and none of them come from any big sites (i.e. IGN and Gamepot)

“When government surveillance and intimidation is called “freedom from terrorism” or “liberation from crime”, freedom and liberty have become words without meanings.”
~ Chad Dumier, “Deus Ex”

The Adventure Game Enthusiast

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

I haven’t taken Gamespot seriously in a long, long time (like, 2000).

But I find it amusing that now they’re trying to show that they care about adventure games. Looks like they’re drinking the Lucasarts kool-aid. And once again, I’ll clarify that I’m in no way anti-LA. I’m merely pointing out the fanboy lovefest for LA that has increased exponentially in the last 6 months.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I wish he’d expanded on the “decline of the genre” that he casually mentioned happened around 2000. Because I never really saw any actual decline, all I’ve seen is people talking about the decline. I played adventure games through that period: some were good, some were bad, just like always. And now there’s apparently a revival. I just don’t see it. When he stopped the video at 1999 at TLJ “just before the decline” he could easily have kept going.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Oscar - 11 September 2012 11:32 PM

I wish he’d expanded on the “decline of the genre” that he casually mentioned happened around 2000. Because I never really saw any actual decline, all I’ve seen is people talking about the decline. I played adventure games through that period: some were good, some were bad, just like always. And now there’s apparently a revival. I just don’t see it.

It definitely happened. As a typical academic, I can never resist citing myself, so here’s a graph I made after the Top-100 was unveiled, giving the number of games in the Top-100 by year:

I think it’s quite clear that there’s a big hole in the early noughties.

If you prefer, you can look at all the significant commercial adventures on 3 particular years, 10 years apart (I picked those because I already had the data on file, but 1992/2002/2012 would show the same thing, probably even more marked):

* 1991: Monkey Island 2, Leisure Suit Larry 5, Space Quest IV, Heart of China, Willy Beamish, Conquests of the Longbow, Martian Memorandum, Cruise for a Corpse, Larry 1 VGA, Space Quest I VGA.

* 2001: Myst III, Runaway, Schizm, Mystery of the Druids, Jazz and Faust.

* 2011: Back to the Future, Black Mirror III, Blackwell Deception, Gemini Rue, Jurassic Park, LA Noire, A New Beginning, The Next Big Thing, Portal 2, Puzzle Agent 2, To the Moon, (Gray Matter, Edna and Harvey, The Book of Unwritten Tales).

The genre didn’t “die”, but I think it’s indisputable that there was a marked decrease in both quality and quantity during these years.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Kurufinwe - 12 September 2012 01:39 AM

The genre didn’t “die”, but I think it’s indisputable that there was a marked decrease in both quality and quantity during these years.

Only if we take the Top 100 itself as indisputable. Some people might, but I don’t.

Where did you get the decrease in quantity from? If you go year by year on the mobygames game browser under ‘adventure’, there is actually an increase from the mid 90s to mid 00s.

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2012-09-11

PM

Good video though.
Liked how many games were mentioned.
I wished they did more detail in the detail.

Couldn’t hurt to make a 2 hour video out of it.

I am Guybrush Threepwood, mighty Pirate!

Quote of the last played Game!
Space Quest 6: “Oh, yeah, real smart. Let’s go poking around inside a pod that’s probably carrying a half-dozen
miniature face-hugging, saliva-dripping, face-eating exo-skeletal alien piranha things.
And while we’re at it, let’s split up so that we’re all alone and defenseless, okay?”

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Oscar - 12 September 2012 01:49 AM

Where did you get the decrease in quantity from? If you go year by year on the mobygames game browser under ‘adventure’, there is actually an increase from the mid 90s to mid 00s.

Well, I checked Moby and found no increase. Did you perhaps use a different filter?
Here’s my list from ‘95 till ‘05:
273 - 286 - 228 - 208 - 157 - 159 - 217 - 170 - 175 - 195 - 192.

Mobygames is a great site, but for this kind of thing I prefer Pagoda. Less “noise” from other genres. Does anyone really believ there were 273 adventures released in 1995? Smile

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

It’s not a bad video, but the title is wrong, it should read: “Adventures were dead when LucasArts seized production, and now they’re sort of alive again” - which is wrong.

If it’s about history, even this simple video tells a bigger story.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top