• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Unavowed by Wadjet Eye Games

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Vicki’s not even really an angry character. She’s blunt but not overly aggressive. She has a chip on her shoulder, rightfully,for being deceived into believing she was crazy for a year. But her love for her family and dedication for her community and show genuine warmth. She was one of my favorite characters. She’s funny too. It was awesome when she flippantly called Mandanna “Madonna” in passing.

I do agree in regards to Logan, though, he was a weak link and genuinely one note. I didn’t absolutely hate him but the constant references to being in recovery got to be a bit much over the course of the game. (In the Unavowed drinking game you should take a drink every time Logan mentions not drinking lol)

I only brought him along once for a single optional mission because of it. But the fact that taking him along was optional meant It never really hampered by experience.

I found the rest of the cast to be really stellar. Eli being my absolute favorite. Mandanna a close second, especially after her drunken episode reveals she slips into her mothers accent while inebriated. Genuinely heart-warming.

Total Posts: 1620

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I never saw her drunk

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

So far, I find the game to be quite similar to their previous releases, which is for me a good thing.

Love the puzzles and the story is starting to pickup, as usual, I wonder how it will all end.

I think we have our Aggie winner for this year, I’m voting for it.

Anyone want to do a CPT of the game, with David joining it could be wonderful.

Crazy

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 45

Joined 2003-09-09

PM

Hey all! Been staying out of this discussion, but I just wanted to pop in and thank all of you for giving this game so much love. I’ve been reading this site since 2000 and it’s always been a dream of mine to get that coveted 5/5 score. It took almost two decades, but here we are.

Anyway, I don’t have anything really concrete to add, so I’ll slink back into lurk-mode. Thanks again!

-Dave

Website: Wadjet Eye Games || Twitter: @wadjeteyegames || Currently working on: Unavowed

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Congrats on an awesome game, Dave. I’m only a couple of missions in and I hate that I can’t find the time to play more. Love the writing and the atmosphere. Ben’s art is stunning! And I’m so happy that it’s selling great, too.

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Jdawg445 - 12 August 2018 01:11 PM

The Silent main character still didnt work for me after the reveal and I still say the 2nd half is much better than the first half.

I really like the silent protagonist. I always read dialogue options in my head as if they are being read aloud, so it always feels redundant to me when a character repeats a line of dialogue once I’ve chosen it.

I also like the “look” text descriptions for the same reason. It saves so much time. Whenever I play an adventure game that wants me to click “look” on 25 things when entering a new screen and sit through lengthy descriptions, I just feel overwhelmed and exasperated. It’s such a chore. So this approach in Unavowed is refreshing.

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Yeah, I haven’t played much but I absolutely love the “autolook” feature as I believe someone described it as earlier.

Total Posts: 1620

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Donuts McGee - 14 August 2018 09:25 PM
Jdawg445 - 12 August 2018 01:11 PM

The Silent main character still didnt work for me after the reveal and I still say the 2nd half is much better than the first half.

I really like the silent protagonist. I always read dialogue options in my head as if they are being read aloud, so it always feels redundant to me when a character repeats a line of dialogue once I’ve chosen it.

I also like the “look” text descriptions for the same reason. It saves so much time. Whenever I play an adventure game that wants me to click “look” on 25 things when entering a new screen and sit through lengthy descriptions, I just feel overwhelmed and exasperated. It’s such a chore. So this approach in Unavowed is refreshing.

I do like the auto look as well, just wish it was voiced lol.

Total Posts: 45

Joined 2003-09-09

PM

Regarding the silent protagonist stuff.  I knew I wanted to have multiple origins for the player character, and there would be many MANY different dialog options for all of the available NPCs. That, coupled with the branching paths, meant a ton of lines to potentially record. Easily 3-4 times the usual amount we can handle. Add the two genders into the mix, and that already massive amount of work doubles. I’d be recording, editing, importing and testing that dialog for a long long time. And going bankrupt paying for it all.

In the end, I decided that making the player character silent would grant me the ability to be much more flexible in terms of character creation and role-playing. And also… well, just keep playing.

Website: Wadjet Eye Games || Twitter: @wadjeteyegames || Currently working on: Unavowed

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I haven’t played it yet, but the game looks great. Only that it gives me headaches to think in an eventual translation keeping in mind the main character’s freedom of gender…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

DaveGilbert - 15 August 2018 09:08 AM

Regarding the silent protagonist stuff.

I didn’t like it at first (though as I said it seemed logical due to the character customization) but after 5 hours in-game I don’t care any more, and I can see how it makes immersion easier.

As for the “auto-look”, it’s a very good idea, but has one downside : since I don’t have to click on things to look at them, I don’t feel compelled to read all the descriptions, and so I’m missing a bit of the writing.

As for the rest, 5 hours in, the game is very good, absolutely gorgeous (even more so than the previous Wadjet Eye games I think), with great writing and acting, and a cool though slightly kitschy story (it has a Buffy feel to me, and I say this as a compliment Smile).
The puzzles are pretty easy, and there aren’t too many of them, but I feel that’s a good compromise between the usual inventory-based games and the QTE-riddled Telltales, allowing the player to feel immersed by actually doing things, while not breaking the flow of the story with over-complicated puzzles (Those can also be great, don’t get me wrong. But in this game I don’t miss them).
Apparently it will grow in intensity in the following hours, which will probably allow the game to cross the boundary between very good and excellent in my mind.
Also I’m really looking forward to replaying it with a different character and different choices.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Not having played the game (yet!), I’m not quite clear exactly what this ‘autolook’ thing is - can someone clarify?

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Sure. When you mouse over a hotspot not only does the mouse icon change to a look icon but you get the look ‘message’ displayed at the bottom of the screen without having to click.

At first I was like Meh but then after about 30 seconds I loved it.

...and after about 30 minutes I was at an absolute loss as to why every adventure game developer ever wasn’t doing this!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

This game is by far Wadjets most state of the art. I also love the new artwork, hope we get spoiled by this quality for future releases.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’m still at the third case. Enjoying it although I kind of wish I didnt go with bartender.
Puzzles have been very simple but did spend an embarassing amount of time trying to decode PW=:heart: because I didn’t see the path to the park and the girl and thought that was something else…  Neutral
One complain was the busted fuse with a repaired one in the next door puzzle… Why does this keep showing up in adventures again and again Laughing . Do people really keep fuses in abandoned houses?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top